PDA

View Full Version : Alternative hair toy uses?

Smokie
March 29th, 2008, 12:05 AM
Now, we've discussed hairsticks as weapons and elastics as rubberbands to hold things... But what about other uses?

I hate to admit it, but the other day I lent one of my coworkers (he's awesome and has long hair) a pair of cheap plastic hair sticks from Claire's to use as.. yes... chopsticks. He had asian food of some sort and just didn't feel right eating it with a fork. I had a spare set of cheap sticks in my bag. Yes, I made him wash them before and after use.

I've also been known to tug the sticks from my hair (again, cheap ones, I wouldn't do this with my Nightshade sticks... the metal fork from her on the other hand....) to aid in opening a package when I can't find any scissors or a knife.

Tonight was the crowning glory though. I work in tech support and we keep a wireless router around for our personal computers to browse with (soooo limited on the work computers). When I came in tonight, I discovered the router was completely hosed. Wouldn't give anyone an IP wired or wireless. This meant no forums for me tonight. And I'm the only one here after 1am on Friday nights. Very bad to deprive me of my intarwebz when I have no people around to entertain me. Powercycling the modem and router didn't do any good. So I borrowed a length of cat5 (ethernet cord) from the guys in the NOC and took my laptop over to the router. It was then that I realized I didn't have anything on me to push the teensy little reset button with. Normally I would reach for a pen, and if I didn't have a pen, I'd grab a bobbypin or safety pin. But I had none of those. So I pulled my bloodwood Etta Mae fork out of my hair and used it. Worked like a dream. And I fixed the router in under five minutes too.

So tell me, what strange uses have you found for your hairtoys?

prosperina
March 29th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Jaw clips work nicely as chip bag clips. Of course the chips usually don't make it that long. :D

Smokie
March 29th, 2008, 12:22 AM
Jaw clips work nicely as chip bag clips. Of course the chips usually don't make it that long. :D

Oh! That too! I'm definitely guilty of that one.... when the chips last long enough to be clipped of course. ;)

Liluri
March 29th, 2008, 12:29 AM
My cats seem to think that hair sticks and forks make great cat scratchies and purr loudly while looking like they are impaling themselves on the pointy ends of sticks :)

akurah
March 29th, 2008, 12:44 AM
My cat plays with my ponytail holders and scrunchies.

I think she's hidden a few as well.

shrimp
March 29th, 2008, 04:26 AM
My o/h used one of my 60th St forks to adjust the timer in the boiler, and blunted one tine in the process :hatchet:

(Which reminds me, he still owes me a replacement)

lavenderblue
March 29th, 2008, 05:42 AM
My cats seem to think that hair sticks and forks make great cat scratchies and purr loudly while looking like they are impaling themselves on the pointy ends of sticks :)
My cat does that too, and he likes to to chew on them too :rolleyes:

Saldana
March 29th, 2008, 05:45 AM
I use tiny claw clips to hold crocheted shawls closed in the winter. Works like a charm! They even hold up quite well in the wash...:)

k_hepburn
March 29th, 2008, 05:51 AM
I use tiny claw clips to hold crocheted shawls closed in the winter. Works like a charm!

Great idea, Saldana! I am forever re-tying and re-adjusting my woolen scarves when I wear them in winter, so I might give you method a try next time!

katharine

Lixie
March 29th, 2008, 10:59 AM
When I worked in retail I'd use my wooden sticks to rip open boxes if I couldn't find a knife.

WavyGirl
March 29th, 2008, 12:21 PM
I used a hairpin today to undo DH's jeans! He broke the zip & was stuck in them. That's another good reason he should be pleased I have long hair :D

cindy58
March 29th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Hair sticks are good for entering the addresses on your GPS -- I had one tucked next to mine in the car and picked it up for that use!

Iylivarae
March 29th, 2008, 03:25 PM
I use some of my hairsticks as backscratchers, if it is terribly itchy. The sticks are also handy if I have to open envelopes, I often cut my fingers while doing it with the fingers, so I just use a hairstick and then I don't have any problems.

sapphire-o
March 29th, 2008, 04:11 PM
I never use my wooden hairtoys for anything else, they're the good stuff. Well, except for one that's broken, I use it to spread cold wax. :) Now metal sticks are totally multi-purpose. I have a stainless steel stick that's for unlocking doors, stirring up herbal mixes, cleaning inside of bottles, opening packages, applying crazy glue...etc. I also use my old elastics (those with metal part) to hold Christmas wrapping paper rolls.

Now that I think about it. I almost want to order more metal sticks to use as tools.

blue_nant
March 29th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Now, we've discussed hairsticks as weapons and elastics as rubberbands to hold things... But what about other uses?

Tonight was the crowning glory though. I work in tech support and we keep a wireless router around for our personal computers to browse with (soooo limited on the work computers). When I came in tonight, I discovered the router was completely hosed. Wouldn't give anyone an IP wired or wireless. This meant no forums for me tonight. And I'm the only one here after 1am on Friday nights. Very bad to deprive me of my intarwebz when I have no people around to entertain me. Powercycling the modem and router didn't do any good. So I borrowed a length of cat5 (ethernet cord) from the guys in the NOC and took my laptop over to the router. It was then that I realized I didn't have anything on me to push the teensy little reset button with. Normally I would reach for a pen, and if I didn't have a pen, I'd grab a bobbypin or safety pin. But I had none of those. So I pulled my bloodwood Etta Mae fork out of my hair and used it. Worked like a dream. And I fixed the router in under five minutes too.

So tell me, what strange uses have you found for your hairtoys?

Great thought! I'll keep that in mind!

helanek
March 29th, 2008, 11:22 PM
sapphire-o
where do you order your stainless sticks? :)

KiwiLiz
March 29th, 2008, 11:36 PM
I haven't had to use it this way yet, but one of my hair sticks has two very sharp prongs on it, I figure I could use it to protect my self... it might not work, but it's somewhat comforting.

When I clicked this thread I thought it said "alternative hairspray uses" :P I used to spray hair spray on my horses hooves to make them shiny before a show, instead of hoof oil which just attracted dirt.

SHADOWSCODE46
March 29th, 2008, 11:47 PM
I use some of my hairsticks as backscratchers, if it is terribly itchy. The sticks are also handy if I have to open envelopes, I often cut my fingers while doing it with the fingers, so I just use a hairstick and then I don't have any problems.

These two things were going to be my exact response, in that order. Freaky!

(or maybe I have a spy in my house :suspect:, LOL!)

Yes. I am guilty of using my hair stick for those itchies you cant reach. And they make fantastic letter and package openers (although I have to be careful not to get the sticky tape residue smeared on it).

tiny_teesha
March 30th, 2008, 06:03 AM
i use clips to hold my clothes together, like last night at a party, my top strap kept revieling my bra strap, a few hair clips and Hey Presto!

UncommonTart
July 2nd, 2008, 07:09 AM
I have used steel hairpins as temporary stitch holders while knitting. They work beautifully. And once, just after a move, I had a series of plastic hair clips holding my computer cables together for a while because I couldn't find the zip ties when I unpacked everything.

RavenDream
July 2nd, 2008, 09:56 AM
I'm short but hate to alter my pants since I often alternate between heels and flats for work. I use bobby pins to alter my pants by folding up the hem. They stay pretty well and aren't noticable unless you really look

Eden Iris
July 2nd, 2008, 11:26 AM
Amish pins are excellent for resetting modems and similar devices. I wear my stainless steel sticks, which are a bit too long, in social situations where I might want to avoid hugs from overly touchy-feely people -- does that count as an alternative use?

spidermom
July 2nd, 2008, 11:36 AM
I bought two metal claw clips on-line because I thought they looked the perfect shape and size to hold 2 braids crossed over my head. Nope -- too heavy for that. Now I use them in the kitchen to hold bags closed (like a bag of chips or flour).

LeaM07
July 2nd, 2008, 12:07 PM
DH and I used a thin stainless steel stick to help crack open an XBox 360 to repair it (there are teeny holes you have to poke something through to release little clamp things). They're good for picking locks, as well.

I use one of my pointy wooden ones to part DD's hair when putting it in pigtails. I have a rattail comb, but the stick works better.

snowbear
July 5th, 2008, 03:57 PM
The self-checkout at our grocery store has issues with printing receipts: The receipts print, but get tangled in the mechanism, and don't emerge from the machine.
I used my hairstick to reach up and coax out the bunched-up receipt, and the cashier on duty was impressed. :shrug:

VanillaTresses
July 5th, 2008, 05:10 PM
This isn't intentional (and luckily I only have inexpensive hair toys) but my cat ends up finding them on the coffee table or nightstand after I take them out for the evening and uses them as extremely amusing play toys.

happymommy
July 24th, 2008, 07:16 AM
I used an older wooden hairstick to stir up a cassia mix last week.

My DD thinks my stainless sticks with dangly stars on them are magic "twinkle star" wands. Hey, she's only two. I was impressed she could say twinkle star, lol.

Periwinkle
July 24th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Residential school trip and I forgot to bring a belt for my baggy trousers. Solution? Thread loads of hair elastics together to make one!

LilyMunster
July 24th, 2008, 10:12 PM
I have 2 fakkares that I use as curtain tie backs.

SHELIAANN1969
July 25th, 2008, 08:26 AM
Ok, I have used hairsticks as back/ various body part scratchers.

Have cleaned under my fingernail if there was something gunky.

And have used one to get something out of my tooth (some food item)

How awful, my poor stickies.

Oh yeah, and sometimes I whack my bf in the knees with them or poke him just for fun!! lol