PDA

View Full Version : Hairstyles Suggestions to Avoid Breakage During Pilates?

Fantak
February 4th, 2009, 05:11 AM
Hi there!

I've taken up pilates again, which is great except I don't know what to do with my hair!

A lot of it involves lying down on my back with a towel over my mat. I had my hair in a flat braided bun today which provided great cushioning but the thought of my hair rubbing (under great pressure!) against the rough towel fabric was driving me nuts!

Does anyone have any ideas on what to do with my hair during pilates classes?

Thanks! :D

physicschick
February 4th, 2009, 05:16 AM
I'll be watching this thread for ideas. I just wear a single braid for Pilates, so it flops around and has to be moved out of the way. If your primary concern is friction between your bun and the towel, could you put some slippery fabric over the towel in the area where your head goes?

Anlbe
February 4th, 2009, 05:16 AM
Not exactly the most sophisticated look in the world but for things like pilates and yoga I find two french plaits, or using a silk scarf to make a turban, which is very kind to the hair.

natt i nord
February 4th, 2009, 05:26 AM
Oh, I do Aikido in my freetime and have the same problem. Buns don't survive the roles and plaits are jumping around while training. Maybe I'll try a French or Dutch plait next time.

Anje
February 4th, 2009, 07:09 AM
I'm thinking a satin bun cover might do the trick. Otherwise, I like the silk scarf idea.

rhubarbarin
February 4th, 2009, 07:26 AM
I feel you on this one, I do yoga and since I have very sweaty hands and feet, have a rough, 'sticky' cover over my mat that is hell on my hair. I usually braid it, but the braid itself and the back of my head get a lot of friction. I am thinking of tying it up a silk scarf for class, even though that is NOT the best look on me!

natt i nord
February 4th, 2009, 09:37 AM
even though that is NOT the best look on me!

Exactly this is what I'm afraid of :lol:

spidermom
February 4th, 2009, 09:44 AM
I'll often make a ponytail or bun right on the top of my head to work out, especially when I'm on the mat stretching out.

AutumnSky
February 4th, 2009, 09:46 AM
I'll be starting a pilates class next week.... so I'm watching this thread!
The silk scarf turban thing is a fun look (IMO), but scarves have a tendency to slip off my head.
I was thinking about trying my shower bun, which is kind of flat and long (ear to ear), very very high and holds with a single stick. Or maybe two high braided buns?

JamieLeigh
February 4th, 2009, 09:50 AM
If the silk scarf would slip off, why not just a regular bandana-type thing? I may try this. Usually I do a braided bun, and just try to live with my hair rubbing on whatever I'm laying on (since I don't get a lot of time to work out lately, I'm never on my back long :p). But I may try the braided bun underneath the bandana. I think I can make it stick flat enough against my head to work. We shall see!!

Stevy
February 4th, 2009, 11:41 AM
I'll often make a ponytail or bun right on the top of my head to work out, especially when I'm on the mat stretching out.

I do this, too. A gibraltar bun right on top of my head holds through pretty much anything.