PDA

View Full Version : Henna with Placenta in it?

CurlyOne
March 28th, 2008, 11:46 PM
I was at Walgreens tonight and I saw something I have never even heard of, HASK henna 'n' placenta. It was a packet of wet henna and animal placenta in it.:shrug: Anyone ever use it? I don't henna and I don't really plan on it but I was just wondering about it.

The only thing that bugs me is where do they get the placentas from? I know it said "animal" but I can't seem to find anything else.

MyFireElf
March 28th, 2008, 11:57 PM
I've used it - it leaves my hair kind of stiff so I follow it up with a round of SMT, but I love love love how shiny and strong it feels afterward! Although temporary, it's a great way to get the benefits of henna without changing the color of your hair (it says henna, but it's cassia).

I believe I read on the old forum that the placenta comes from cows and horses - plenty of both born each year to get what they need, I guess.

prosperina
March 29th, 2008, 12:14 AM
It's placenta extract too, so it's not just raw placenta goo or something. Someone reviewed this in the review section. I have a packet still sitting on my dresser. I may use it this coming week.

Nightshade
March 29th, 2008, 12:44 AM
It's placenta extract too, so it's not just raw placenta goo or something. Someone reviewed this in the review section. I have a packet still sitting on my dresser. I may use it this coming week.

I was actually the one that listed the review (http://reviews.longhaircommunity.com/showproduct.php/product/44/cat/3):D It's protein extract from placenta, essentially, not placenta-and-cassia-in-a-blender.

The "henna" in there is actually cassia, so you don't have to worry about it dying your hair. I like it for the protein on occasion.

Saldana
March 29th, 2008, 05:52 AM
I tried it about 4 months ago, and was an INSTANT convert - love love love what it does for my hair......makes it strong and shiny and full. I use it once a month or so. I do leave it on quite a bit longer than the package states...usually, I'll just goop it on, claw clip my hair up, tie a plastic grocery bag around my hair, nuke a old towel in the microwave, wrap that around my head, and go off and read LHC for about an hour, then take a shower and S/C my hair (very light C, just the ends). Result? Yummy strong shiny happy hair.

Definate 'thumbs up!' review from this 1a/b,M,ii longhair!

Stagecoach
March 29th, 2008, 06:27 AM
I tried it about 4 months ago, and was an INSTANT convert - love love love what it does for my hair......makes it strong and shiny and full. I use it once a month or so. I do leave it on quite a bit longer than the package states...usually, I'll just goop it on, claw clip my hair up, tie a plastic grocery bag around my hair, nuke a old towel in the microwave, wrap that around my head, and go off and read LHC for about an hour, then take a shower and S/C my hair (very light C, just the ends). Result? Yummy strong shiny happy hair.

Definate 'thumbs up!' review from this 1a/b,M,ii longhair!

Same here, this is my hair saver!

MeMyselfandI
March 29th, 2008, 08:08 AM
I saw a package like that once. I looked at the ingredient list, there was not much natural in them. If I remember correctly cones was in it.

I would assume there are different brands out there.

Lexie
March 29th, 2008, 10:28 AM
It's protein extract from placenta, essentially, not placenta-and-cassia-in-a-blender.

I almost died laughing from that one. :rollin:

theindecisiveon
March 29th, 2008, 10:55 AM
It may be because I'm vegetarian, but something about this sounds really unpleasant! Although I'm glad to know it's "not placenta-and-cassia-in-a-blender"!

Although it sounds pretty successful. I wonder if I'd be able to steel myself to try it! I'm a wimp. :D I can't say I've ever seen it for sale in the UK, though. Anyone?

Stagecoach
March 29th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Its' really not bad to use at all. It's the consistency of conditioner, even white like conditioner, and it is scented so it doesn't smell weird.

I'll admit that htis product seems to have lots of chemicals in it.... but it does such wonders for my hair, I figure it can't be all bad!

Nightshade
March 29th, 2008, 12:15 PM
I almost died laughing from that one. :rollin:

Glad to amuse, I chuckled writing it :D

Lexie
March 29th, 2008, 12:43 PM
It may be because I'm vegetarian, but something about this sounds really unpleasant!

Aww, I'm veg*n too. :) I've tried yogurt since making the change...but I was actually glad when it didn't work well for me. Just was so hard to resist since everyone on H4H was raving about it. I definitely won't be trying this though!

Nightshade, you're just golden. :)

BrianaFineHair
March 29th, 2008, 05:27 PM
It's placenta extract too, so it's not just raw placenta goo or something.

Now THAT caught me off guard - I giggled loudly! :laugh:

GlassEyes
March 29th, 2008, 05:36 PM
I'd use it if I were a vegetarian, just to give an opinion. It's harvested placenta, basically refuse from a birth, I think. It's the same as eating free-range chicken eggs to me, if you're in it for the ethical treatment of animals side of vegetarianism.

In any case, I've used it on my hair once, and I don't remember the results. XD It was during my 'must try every LHC thing', and I got it on the same day I got some monistat (which I don't use anymore).

Delilah
March 29th, 2008, 06:44 PM
I've used it, and it gave me a bad case of dry-snappy hair. My hair doesn't tolerate protein well though, and after a oil/aloe treatment my hair was lovely.

I figure it's just 'harvested' bovine placenta. As in picked up after natural cow births.

EvilPigeon
March 30th, 2008, 09:11 AM
I love the stuff! However, it had pretty much the same effect as henna does on my hair...it feels kind of stiff at first,and my hair tends to be at best when I have went for a few hours,or even a day without washing...it's rather strange,but I don't really mind. It's some pretty fabulous stuff and I hope to use it in the future again.

jupiterjuniper
April 2nd, 2008, 04:03 PM
I've got it in my hair right now! I previously used the henna and placenta leave-in, but that didn't do anything. So here's hoping the packet of this stuff will be wooonderful. :D

kimki
April 2nd, 2008, 05:51 PM
Does anyone know where I could get this in the UK? :)

WritingPrincess
April 2nd, 2008, 07:34 PM
I may be totally wrong about this, but I seem to have heard somewhere that the placenta used is from aborted babies. I'd love to be wrong on that,, though. If it's bovine in origin than I'm interested. But if it's from abortions, then I would definately not want to use it.

amaiaisabella
April 2nd, 2008, 07:54 PM
I have a question: Is the Henna and Placenta supposed to be a deep conditioner? Or after you rinse, do you use conditioner on your hair?

I have seen the packet in the store and was under the impression it was a treatment, not necessarily a conditioner.

Riot Crrl
April 2nd, 2008, 08:02 PM
I may be totally wrong about this, but I seem to have heard somewhere that the placenta used is from aborted babies. I'd love to be wrong on that,, though. If it's bovine in origin than I'm interested. But if it's from abortions, then I would definately not want to use it.

I'd be extremely surprised about that, considering the amount of political drama that goes on about even being able to use them for lifesaving cures and research.

cobblersmaid
April 2nd, 2008, 08:03 PM
My bottle says animal placenta, WritingPrincess. That sounds like an urban legend to me.

Sorus
April 2nd, 2008, 09:48 PM
I've used this once. I didn't care for the smell, but my hair was nice.

As for the placenta source, using human just doesn't make sense from so many angles. It would be a political nightmare, plus there would be so much more to harvest from bovines because they are so much bigger than us. Cheaper all around makes it a much better business choice.

There are concerns that placenta contains hormones that can have effects on humans, but since it is the purified protein extract I don't think it is that much of a risk. I'm not going to be using placenta products on my scalp everyday, but occasionally on the length doesn't scare me.

wintersun99
April 3rd, 2008, 11:25 AM
My bottle says animal placenta, WritingPrincess. That sounds like an urban legend to me.

Correct, that is what it says on the labels of the individual packets as well ...

Kirin
April 3rd, 2008, 06:18 PM
Yes the "aborted baby placenta" is an urban legend. This one, should have been easy to spot, can you imagine the lawsuits? The government, not us, would have taken it off the market eons ago.

WritingPrincess
April 5th, 2008, 02:00 PM
I'd be extremely surprised about that, considering the amount of political drama that goes on about even being able to use them for lifesaving cures and research.

I've used this once. I didn't care for the smell, but my hair was nice.

As for the placenta source, using human just doesn't make sense from so many angles. It would be a political nightmare, plus there would be so much more to harvest from bovines because they are so much bigger than us. Cheaper all around makes it a much better business choice.

There are concerns that placenta contains hormones that can have effects on humans, but since it is the purified protein extract I don't think it is that much of a risk. I'm not going to be using placenta products on my scalp everyday, but occasionally on the length doesn't scare me.

Yes the "aborted baby placenta" is an urban legend. This one, should have been easy to spot, can you imagine the lawsuits? The government, not us, would have taken it off the market eons ago.
Yeah, I should have known that that was an urban legend. Sorry about that. Thanks for letting me know.

chloeishere
April 5th, 2008, 04:08 PM
I saw a package like that once. I looked at the ingredient list, there was not much natural in them. If I remember correctly cones was in it.

I would assume there are different brands out there.

I checked the ingredients list in the product reviews on here, and there aren't any 'cones. There are parabens, for what that's worth; I don't worry about them.

I had NO idea this contained cassia!
Now I really want to try it. I think my hair likes proteins; it definitely likes egg protein, and this would be much less gross than gooping mayonnaise on my head. I know, that sounds weird, but mayonaisse smells! Half the reason I don't do my protein treatment as often as I should-- I don't even eat mayonnaise! Having to smell it dripping down my neck for an hour is repugnant.

As for the "chemical content" most of those ingredients are also found in conditioners. The collagen is just another protein. One of the other ingredients I don't recognize from conditioners is animal derived (couldn't find out more, Isostearyl Ethylimidonium Ethosulfate), I'd assume protein of some sort. The rest all look pretty familiar.

And it's really cheap. I think I'm going to have to get a package soon and give it a go!

Could I ask where this is found? Like, what section of the store? I'm not sure I've ever seen it IRL before. Is it in the "ethnic hair care" section, or somewhere else?
Thanks for the info!

MyFireElf
April 5th, 2008, 05:17 PM
chloeishere - In my area I can only find it at Walgreens and Rite-Aid. Grocery stores and big box stores don't seem to carry it, but you can often find it at drug stores in the hair care section - usually in that divide between the shampoos/conditioners and the sprays/gels.

It comes in little packets which are held in a display box, or sometimes it comes in bottles (if you see a bottle of it, snap it up - in my experience they are hard to find).

Nightshade
April 5th, 2008, 05:24 PM
chloeishere - In my area I can only find it at Walgreens and Rite-Aid. Grocery stores and big box stores don't seem to carry it, but you can often find it at drug stores in the hair care section - usually in that divide between the shampoos/conditioners and the sprays/gels.

It comes in little packets which are held in a display box, or sometimes it comes in bottles (if you see a bottle of it, snap it up - in my experience they are hard to find).

The bottles are almost always at Sally's :) Just make sure you get the original blend, the other ones tend to have cones in them.

chloeishere
April 5th, 2008, 06:23 PM
I just went to Sally's (before I saw any replies, actually), because I thought, "What else am I going to do today?" and it's beautiful outside.
I did pick up a different one than the original (in the bottle)-- whoops! I did the "Henna 'n' Placenta for EXTREMELY damaged hair" after checking the ingredients thoroughly. It's a reddish color, but it's because they added some coloring to it. :p It does not contain 'cones. It looked to me like it had more henna in it, so why not? They were the same price, and seemed like a better value than the packets.
Oddly, in the one I have, they include the scientific name for the henna extract, but it's not included in the normal henna n placenta with a scientific name.

Blue color: not found in original henna n placenta
Italics: moved back in list from original henna n placenta
Bold: moved forward in ingredients list from original henna n placenta
Red: found in original henna n placenta, not in other henna n placenta

Ingredients: Purified Water, Acetamide MEA, Cetearyl alcohol, Cetyl alcohol, Ceteareth-20, soluble collagen, behentrimonium methosulfate, lawsonia inermis (henna) extract, butylene glycol, propylene glycol, isostearyl ethylimidazolinium ethosulfate, citric acid, methylparaben, fragrance, placental protein, propylparaben, methylchloroisothiazolinone, methylisotiazolinone, caramel, red 4, yellow 5.

compared to the normal Henna 'n' Placenta:
Purified Water, Acetamide MEA, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceteareth-20, Cetyl Alcohol, Soluble Collagen, Propylene Glycol, Isostearyl Ethylimidonium Ethosulfate, Henna Extract, Placenta Extract, Hexylene Glycol, Citric Acid, Imidazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, propylparaben, Fragrance, Glycerine, Phosphoric Acid.

Behentrimonium methosulfate: gentle emulsifier, made from canola oil. Included in baby products.

Methylchloroisothiazolinone, methylisotiazolinone: The first time I saw these on ingredients lists (in Suave conditioner) I thought they were cones, but they are actually preservatives. Tend to be allergenic, which is why they are normally found in "rinse off" products.

It's interesting to me that though the packaging says that it contains "neutral henna," it doesn't contain Cassia obovota, but instead contains normal henna, Lawsonia inermis.

I like finding out information about ingredients lists a bit too much, eh? :silly:

I'm going to try this tonight or tomorrow, I'll post results.
Thank you for the information, MyFireElf and Nightshade!

chloeishere
April 6th, 2008, 05:25 PM
I did it last night! My hair feels really good today. My wave pattern isn't much better than normal, but my hair is sooo silky and shiny! I think this version has considerably less protein than the original, so I think it might be more like a cassia gloss than a protein treatment. I think next time I'll try leaving it on overnight and see what happens.
I mean, my hair is really really silky, and the ends are not tangling as badly as usual. My hair is so silky, that it fell out of a flexi-8 bun three times in succession! Normally, they hold all day. It did hold most of the day, still.
I have pictures further down! It was sunny today (so I had to take a hair picture).

Here's how it went down:
Did clarifying wash with Ion Moisturizing shampoo (sulfate free) mixed with baking soda
Rinsed, turbied with normal towel (while I ran downstairs to get a hot towel from the dryer).
Applied Henna 'n' Placenta (about 1 ounce) to all of hair, concentrating on ends. I think it smells like purple. :p
Clipped with claw, wrapped plastic bag around head, and wrapped the hot towel around the bag.
Pretended not to notice that I had a towel tower on my head for about 2 and a half hours.
Got in shower, rinsed off henna n placenta with hot water. It really wasn't hard at ALL. So much less of a pain than mayonnaise!
Decided my hair didn't need to be washed, applied Giovanni 50:50 conditioner to ends, rinsed off with cold water.
Turbied with Aquis turban.
Applied very small amount of my normal leave-in (Manor Hall Deep Conditioner).
And then I flipped it over my pillow overnight.

Here's my hair today (after having my hair in a flexi-bun all day, so it's lost any wave-definition).
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k152/chloeishere/IMG_3289c.jpg
For comparison purposes, this is my hair about 3 weeks ago. Does my hair look more golden? This is also in sun.
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k152/chloeishere/IMG_3081c.jpg
And this is the henna 'n' placenta version I used. I think I might get the original next time to see if the added protein is better for me. But I do love this stuff!
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k152/chloeishere/IMG_3299c.jpg

tiny_teesha
April 7th, 2008, 01:28 AM
i used it once, my hair was playing up at the time but is DEFINATELY added shine!!!! LOADS of it! It also made it easier to hold a curl...not sure if that was the dryness playing up with it...

shellblue1
April 11th, 2008, 12:38 AM
I plan to go to Sally's today to pick up the regular version and the extra strength. I'll try each one and then try to remember to report back which seems to work better.

VanillaTresses
July 8th, 2008, 08:37 PM
chloeishere, that is the version that I use too, and I love it. As a note, I tried the original (white) kind a couple of years ago and I didn't really like it all that much. If you have tried the original and didn't have great results, the "super strength" kind is worth a go. This is what I use for my DCTs (deep conditioning treatments); I get it at Sally's in the bottle.

Cereus
July 8th, 2008, 09:16 PM
:) I just tried it today and was very happy with the results. I used the one in the little brown package. It creeps my husband out but I'll have to make it a regular addition to my hair care routine anyways.

kwaniesiam
July 8th, 2008, 09:55 PM
The original worked alright for me when my hair was chemically damaged. I might have to try the extra strength since too much protien makes my hair crunchy and gross. This does have cones in it though...I try to avoid them but I guess once and a while it can't hurt. I'll report back once I try it, there's a sally's not far from here. I've only ever seen the extra strength version there while they have the normal packets at CVS, Walgreen's, and even wal mart.

moon-flower
July 8th, 2008, 10:46 PM
I've tried this about 2 weeks ago. I found it at the Walgreens and thought henna would be good, because everyone says great things about henna. Glad it said will not change hair color. I wasn't even paying attention, that it said placenta. My brother thought it was weird, and kinda made fun of me, thought it was kinda gross. He also kept saying Placenta, Placenta. Well I got the little brown and cream packets.
At first I was scared to used it, because placenta sounds weird, but I've seen other conditioners with placenta. I used it after my hair was towel tried from shampooing. And not wanting to blow dry, I massaged it into my hair and placed a shower cap on. THen I stood under some water, while it hit my shower cap and warmed the henna and placenta.
Afterwards, my hair was kinda stiff, very protein like, but after 2 days of not washing, it looked nice. I might try it again sometime.