PDA

View Full Version : How long before hair stays behind shoulders?

MsBubbles
February 3rd, 2009, 08:27 PM
For those of you with hair long enough - but how long? - that is the question! What length was your hair (when you wore it down), that it would stay behind your shoulders when you put it there, as opposed to defaulting back to hanging forwards over your boobs?

Mine still hangs forwards and I keep flipping it back behind my head/back but it slides right back over the front again.

Why do I think other people's hair actually stays back (and I'm not talking half-ups or clipped back here)? I've seen it. Also I've heard other TB & longer haired people say they hardly ever wear their hair forwards. Obviously all of this is considering moving gingerly/gracefully, and not including vigorous movement.

I'm at BSL and it ain't happening for me yet. Just wondering if it ever will (flyaway hair), and if so, at what length?

Amara
February 3rd, 2009, 08:29 PM
My hair still sometimes falls forwards... it is hip length. But I don't move slowly or carefully, ever. :D

Coriander
February 3rd, 2009, 08:30 PM
My hair is the longest it's ever been and it still falls forward even when I'm sitting ramrod straight and completely still :lol:

I'm wondering if it has to do with the weight of the individual hair? :hmm: like if people with very heavy thick hair are able to keep theirs back easier?

Aisha25
February 3rd, 2009, 08:33 PM
Mine is mid thigh and they still fall over my shoulders whether I move or not:lol:

MsBubbles
February 3rd, 2009, 08:42 PM
Oh! So it must be one of those illusions, such as, if I lose 20 lbs my life will be perfect. :p

If it does depend on the weight of the hair then I guess I'll never be able to do it. :rolleyes:

I remember someone posting a few months ago, saying she had this misperception that her butt-length hair was actually shorter than say Jessica Simpson's or Jennifer Aniston's. She said she thought perhaps this was so because she always wears her hair back (even when down), and never forwards like JS and JA.

Thanks for the quick replies!

HairColoredHair
February 3rd, 2009, 08:52 PM
Once you sit on it, they stop falling forward. :lol:

Mine still falls forward, however, I have bangs that I've been growing out a while that are at about BSL...ish.

Aisha25
February 3rd, 2009, 09:04 PM
Oh! So it must be one of those illusions, such as, if I lose 20 lbs my life will be perfect. :p

If it does depend on the weight of the hair then I guess I'll never be able to do it. :rolleyes:

I remember someone posting a few months ago, saying she had this misperception that her butt-length hair was actually shorter than say Jessica Simpson's or Jennifer Aniston's. She said she thought perhaps this was so because she always wears her hair back (even when down), and never forwards like JS and JA.

Thanks for the quick replies!
Yeah I think a big illusion my cousins have calf length hair and theres still fall over her shoulders:laugh:

julya
February 3rd, 2009, 09:08 PM
My hair still falls over my shoulders, and gets itself into everything.

jera
February 4th, 2009, 01:10 AM
When my hair was your length it stayed behind my shoulders easily, but my hair is thicker than yours seems to be and has less slip. Maybe my shoulders are broader too. :o

natt i nord
February 4th, 2009, 04:27 AM
I'm at BSL now too and my hair still falls forward on my shoulders even when I sit on my desk and just start to write. It's quite thin and not that heavy because of this, so I reckon that it has to do with this...
And it always gets under the belts of my backback when I left it free.

rymorg2
February 4th, 2009, 05:24 AM
My hair is really thick and it always falls over my shoulders, even at waist.

Curlsgirl
February 4th, 2009, 05:54 AM
Well I have to be different I guess! Maybe it is the hairtype but mine is almost waist and above when curly and it stays back mostly unless of course I bend over or something. :)

MsBubbles
February 4th, 2009, 06:16 AM
lol! These answers are cracking me up! Sitting on it...

Well maybe it's a curls thing, Curlsgirl. Maybe that's the trick.

I was looking for 'Jan & Marcia Brady' hair the other day for another thread and found this youtube (http://youtube.com/watch?v=uVyNzjtxQOo) snippet from the Brady Bunch. Both their hair stays behind their shoulders most of the time. But then I guess they're just standing around talking most of the time.

Mine doesn't stay behind my shoulders even for that, though.

Tabitha
February 4th, 2009, 06:52 AM
Mine is past waist and still flips forwards. Even when I wear a ponytail, the ponytail divides in two and each half makes its way to the front - which looks particularly stupid, and really annoys me.

MemSahib
February 4th, 2009, 07:08 AM
I agree — sitting on it keeps it back but not much else will.

may1em
February 4th, 2009, 07:20 AM
I'm gonna agree on the idea that hair weight has something to do with it. I'm in the fine hair, but lots of them camp, and they all sort of go whichever way they please. It behaves a little better on wash day when it's still somewhat weighed down with conditioners and staying in little wurly clumps, but the minute I brush or comb it out, it goes everywhere.

Mine's somewhere between waist and iliac.

natt i nord
February 4th, 2009, 09:39 AM
I just watched in my afternoon lessons, a classmate of mine has something around hip length and her hair stayed behind on the back the whole time. She has F-hair too, so maybe it has really to do with the length?

spidermom
February 4th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Mine doesn't stay back on its own. I remember somebody saying that somewhere around waist to hip it will stay where you put it, but no - not true over here.

Katrina
February 4th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Mine is past waist, nearly at hip, but it doesn't stay behind shoulders. I imagine that medium or coarse hair would stay there easier than fine hair, but I'm not sure.

Honey39
February 4th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Mine stays back now it's grown - I think maybe wurly hair tends to have less 'slip' or something? Or maybe it's because it tends to be clumped together in ringlets, so the ringlet stays back or not - it's an either/or situation for each ringlet!!

Islandgrrl
February 4th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Mine has never stayed back on its own. Not even at knee length. The only way it stays back is if I beat it into submission and force it into a braid. And even then, sometimes the braid plays like a snake and crawls over my shoulder. :)

Themyst
February 4th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Mine falls forward. I always thought it was because I had narrow shoulders or something. But, I really think it's because my hair is fine.

inspiral
February 4th, 2009, 03:22 PM
I like to pull all of my hair over my shoulder to one side and let it hang down in the front, its finally long enough to stay like that. if it wants to go forward, i find it easier to go with it than fight it..... i like it all to one side better than some on each side, and a piece hanging down the back, or the spiderweb-hair-everywhere-look..... thats how i wear my braid too, one off to the side hanging in the front. :)

xkitxgirx
February 4th, 2009, 03:58 PM
My hair ends at the top of my hips, but it's usually forward. Most of the time theres only a little strand in back because the rest of it falls forward.

burns_erin
February 4th, 2009, 04:30 PM
I think it really depends on your hair, your neck, and your shoulders. The people I have seen whose hair seems to stay back the best tend to have thinner hair, shorter necks, and wider shoulders that do not stoop so much. That being said, my hair only ever stays back neatly when i don't want it too, other wise it is quite content to try to hug me eat me, or swallow me whole.