PDA

View Full Version : Do you have bangs or fringe?

Fairlight63
February 3rd, 2009, 06:20 PM
I was wondering how many of you have bangs?
I did not have them for a long time but I thought that I would cut a little "fringe" bangs, but now they lay so that you can't hardly see them unless I curl them. Bangs in my face also bug me, they tickle my face & feel like a bug or something on my face.
I was thinking of letting them grow back out, but is it stylish to have bangs or do you think that it doesn't matter?

spidermom
February 3rd, 2009, 06:52 PM
I did but haven't cut in 6-1/2 months, so the shortest area reaches my collarbone stretched down. That doesn't qualify as fringe anymore, does it? Oh well. I'm not cutting for at least another 5-1/2 months.

harpyangel
February 3rd, 2009, 06:53 PM
I have a full fringe. I guess different things suit different people but a fringe definitely suits me. And having to get it trimmed regularly reminds me how quickly my hair is growing!
Harpyangel xxx

AmandaPanda
February 3rd, 2009, 07:01 PM
I do, and I have had bangs for most of my life. Right now, I wear them side-swept.

I just look a lot better with them than without

xeternalsilence
February 3rd, 2009, 07:02 PM
This past summer, when I still straightened my hair every now and then, I got bangs cut. I liked how they looked on me... when I didn't feel like straightening all my hair, I would just straighten the bangs, and I thought it looked really cute. (-prepares for the straightening lectures- I know better now! I promise!)

I really don't want them anymore though. They became a pain and I really regret it. I actually had to do stuff to my hair every morning. I soon got tired of that.
They're a major pain to grow out too. They're still too short to really do anything with and I hate it :mad:

elbow chic
February 3rd, 2009, 07:20 PM
I go through phases of growing them out and phases of cutting them back in. Right now I love mine. They soften my updos, which can make me look sort of hard and forbidding.

They're shorter than I've had them before, (mid-forehead instead of nearly eyebrow) and I think they're adorable. (but they do get greasy before the rest of the hair.)

joyellen
February 3rd, 2009, 07:25 PM
I have side-swept bangs. I just look funny without them.

lynnala
February 3rd, 2009, 07:26 PM
I have fringe. My face looks better with them. These days I don't have a full up heavy fringe, just kind of sprigs of different lengths. I trim them myself, so it's not much trouble.

Addy
February 3rd, 2009, 07:29 PM
I haven't had bangs in years. I don't like the growing out process... you know, that in-between stage.

My mom always cut my bangs as a child. I'd of rather had it one length as I do now. :)

kam984420
February 3rd, 2009, 07:33 PM
I've had bangs all my life and am currrently trying to let them grow out, which will take forever, but oh well. They're bound to grow sooner or later.:cheese:

manderly
February 3rd, 2009, 07:38 PM
I do. See my avatar :)

I spent most of my life bang-free, so I know how weird it feels to suddenly have hair tickling your forehead. You get used to it. But there are still days when I just can't tolerate it and I bobby pin them back in a little pouf or something :)

Elphie
February 3rd, 2009, 07:41 PM
I've had bangs most of my life. I took the time and grew them out once, hated it, and promptly cut them back. They're side swept now, but I look strange without them.

Curlsgirl
February 3rd, 2009, 08:24 PM
I have had bangs of some kind most of my life too. Yes I think they are stylish or not either way is fine. I look better with them and I have little trouble styling them so everytime I have tried to grow them out I end up cutting. In the summer if they bug me I just clip them back. Mine are eyebrow length, sometimes I wear them straight down and sometimes I wear them to the side.

Midnightluna
February 3rd, 2009, 09:07 PM
Hi, I've had bangs most of my life. I think they help disguise my high forehead.:o I experimented with letting them grow out recently, not the greatest look for me.:rolleyes:

Darkhorse1
February 3rd, 2009, 09:31 PM
I have bangs, but have grown the majority of them out. I have more of a fringe now. However, since I have natural wave, the don't 'hang' persay. I like having bangs for my face needs as well as giving me something to 'play' with. I don't look good without bangs :)

Noctifer
February 3rd, 2009, 09:36 PM
I had a fringe but after a half year i decided i was feed up whit cutting every second week to get it out of the eys.

Debra83
February 4th, 2009, 12:58 AM
most of the time, yes - ranging from full on to side swept. Sometimes, grow 'em out. I waffle.

Deimos
February 4th, 2009, 04:13 AM
A few years ago I decided that I needed bangs and just cut them in stages. Because of the curl I do straighten them. Currently I'm considering letting them grow out.

paper
February 4th, 2009, 04:19 AM
I have had bangs all my adult life. I don't like the way I look at all without them. Especially when I wear updos, there great to have. My hairdresser did cut them a little thick, so I am growing out some of them.

Nat242
February 4th, 2009, 04:22 AM
I have a blunt, fairly short fringe. Since joining LHC I wear my hair pulled back alot, and I have angular features, so a fringe softens my look a little.

almudena
February 4th, 2009, 04:29 AM
I have had them all my life. They have varied from eyebrow length to lip/chin length. I have never grown them longer, because whenever they have reached chin length I have cut them shorter. I look much better with them. But I have thick wavy hair and they always require some kind of styling. These days I use a bit of styling gel and clip them side swept for a while. Then I remove the clip and they stay in place without having to use a blow-dryer. Mine cover my eyes right now and I always wear them side-swept.

I find bangs quite versatile and fun :)

Tap Dancer
February 4th, 2009, 04:34 AM
I don't have them anymore, but I love bangs. I had them for the first 29.5 years of my life. I'd cut them back again, but my face/scalp became oilier as I got older. Bangs aren't a good look when you have those problems. :p

Stevy
February 4th, 2009, 04:36 AM
No, I don't - I think they can look great with long hair, but hair in my face irritates me. Also, when I had a fringe I could never manage to cut it so that it looked right - it was always too short or too long or piecey-looking - and I wasn't going to a salon just to get my fringe cut, so I grew it out.

sneakybea
February 4th, 2009, 04:38 AM
I have bangs, which I wear cut to fall above my eyebrows. I like the way I look with bangs, but I also enjoy the feeling of having my hair totally out of my face. I'm not one to care whether they are in or not; I just think it's a personal preference.

annie09
February 4th, 2009, 05:46 AM
i cannot have a fringe as i have a cow lick and a widows peak (double trouble) but my mam still insisted on me having one as a kid and it used to flip to one side lovely!!!

Silverlox
February 4th, 2009, 06:16 AM
I'd had bangs/fringe on and off during the years. I think it looks nice and suits me better with it than without, framing/softening the face. However, I also have that problem of hating hair in my face, so it's constant struggle between vanity and comfort. :rolleyes:

Presently comfort is the winner, as I haven't cut any bangs/fringe since the pixie cut grew out.

When it comes to elegance, I think that both options can look very elegant, depending on how you wear it and your overall look.

LutraLutra
February 4th, 2009, 06:19 AM
I had bangs, then tried to grow them out, then realised I look like an egg without them :D. So I'm banged for life now. Mine are very thick and blunt.

MsBubbles
February 4th, 2009, 06:42 AM
No bangs. I'd love to have some to soften my face and hide my frown mark, but I always decide not to because the type of bangs I envision could never happen with my hair unless I was constantly primping them 24/7. So I go bangless and look severe instead.

Misha
February 4th, 2009, 07:36 AM
I have had bangs all my life and love them. Especially now as my hair gets longer, they seem to make my hair look more styled (not that someone without bangs doesn't, just me :)). I think that fully long hair with no bangs looks so pretty on others, but I tried growing them out a couple of times and doesn't look like me so I always cut them back.

CrystalStar
February 4th, 2009, 08:36 AM
Oooo, I have bangs on the right side of my face that are kinda more of a side fringe heehee :)

Cause of my side part it can kinda fall across my face a bit but doesn't really bother me :p

Margeaux
February 4th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Nope. I used to have a full fringe but I don't think it flatters my face shape (square) very well. I'm on the long layers now, the shortest ones just tickling my throat, and it's not only easier to maintain, I think it looks a lot nicer too ^^

rosie91
February 4th, 2009, 11:23 AM
I have had a fringe for about 4 years. I grew it out once to around my nose and now it's back at that length because i want to grow it out. It's also swept to the side :)

pdy2kn6
February 4th, 2009, 11:43 AM
I had them when my hair was shoulder length. I blame my mum for pressuring me in to it. I hated the growing out process too though, its takes so long, and because i haven't had it trimmed, it made my sides much more thinner than the back. I always think, should i consider having bangs again 'cause i think it would make my hair so much more fuller at the front, but its too big of a step for me to go ahead with.

LadyLongLocks
February 4th, 2009, 12:00 PM
I had bangs for years with tailbone length hair. I really liked them too. But when I met people on the internet in 2005 I was encouraged by many people to grow them out since it was my plan to try to grow my hair to knee length. One was a George Michael long hair salon owner who convinced me. He actually showed my photo to George Michael and the first thing he noticed was my bangs, which are a big no no following his hair care methods.
I grew them out and now the longest ones are about 26" long. I do miss them though. I wear my hair up 95% of the time and feel sort of naked without them. I have been thinking of cutting a small amount to chin length. I have 2 weddings coming up in the next year and I might cut some. The good thing is that cutting them to chin length, you can still blend them into your hair when you don't want them visible.
I like bangs though, and I will probably have them again someday.

fantasian00
February 4th, 2009, 01:03 PM
i have straight across bangs, some people say it doesn't look good on me but i liked them so i've been having them for 2 years now. they grow very fast so i usually have to trim them once every 3 weeks.

NorthernDancer
February 4th, 2009, 01:44 PM
I've had bangs for most of my life, and I never plan to get rid of them!

I think a have a somewhat small forehead and without bangs my hair ends up in my face ALL the time. But with bangs it is much better and I think it softens the look of updos.

AmandaPanda
February 4th, 2009, 03:16 PM
when I didn't feel like straightening all my hair, I would just straighten the bangs, and I thought it looked really cute. (-prepares for the straightening lectures- I know better now! I promise!)

There's nothing wrong with straightening your bangs! The hair is kept short and cut often, so it doesn't get damaged easily (and any damage gets cut off).

I use the blowfryer on mine all the time

xkitxgirx
February 4th, 2009, 03:41 PM
This gives me a chance to ask everyone how my bangs look. I cut them myself last week. I've shortened them a little bit and took a picture!!! How does it look?

hair back, bangs down:
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i69/oospazxx/hair/_MG_0104.jpg

While my hairs down they are nice because they stick back with the rest of the hair instead of being in my face
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i69/oospazxx/hair/_MG_0112.jpg

I just wanted to share my pics, I guess I trust myself with scissors more than someone whos been cutting hair for years. I've had too many messups with other people plus no money to pay someone else to do it. I think I did a good job for someone who doesn't generally cut hair! When I donated my hair in 04 I asked them to cut it shoulder length and they cut it butch short. I guess I have good reason to not trust anyone else with a pair of scissors!

Vainjane
February 4th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Your bangs are cute. I'd like mine similar, they are to my chin now. I need to trim. but am also scisor shy of hair dressors. the last time I had a haircut I requested a chin length bob but got a pixie with my ears showing!

xkitxgirx
February 4th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Your bangs are cute. I'd like mine similar, they are to my chin now. I need to trim. but am also scisor shy of hair dressors. the last time I had a haircut I requested a chin length bob but got a pixie with my ears showing!

Thanks!:o I love my bangs, they turned out exactly how I wanted them, I was a little surprised lol. I thought I'd hack them. I know how you feel! I was just really lucky that I looked good with a pixi cut. Doesn't mean I'll ever have one again. I love my long hair too much now. Though, maybe later if I reach my goal, I will donate my hair again and grow it back out again. But I'm going to cut it myself this time. Or at least cut off the length myself and then Ill pay someone to shape it out right. The reason I ended up with a pixi lasst time was because they put a hair band tight to the back of my head and hacked it off!!:rolleyes:

ADD: I guess I said butch short before. It wasn't technically butch short but I did look like a boy when it first got cut.

Roseate
February 4th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Very cute bangs, xkitxgirx!

I really need to trim mine; they are about tip-of-nose length, growing out from a thick blunt fringe and they would look a lot better if they were shaped a little instead of straight across.

zift
February 4th, 2009, 06:28 PM
I got rid of my horrible bangs a decade ago and sworn never to get any again. My face is too small and narrow and hair line being low, when I get bangs I look like a bug.:p

SimplyLonghair
February 4th, 2009, 06:37 PM
I actually love bangs, but my hair is way to unruly to pull them off. To many cowlicks. So no bangs for me.:p

Avalonna
February 4th, 2009, 07:07 PM
I have had bangs almost my entire life. My forehead is narrow, and I don't look good without bangs.

crystal_89
February 5th, 2009, 03:40 AM
I have a short side fringe right now but I always have a fringe of some sort of varying length. A few months ago I had blunt bangs. I like to change the length of my fringe; grow it out and chop it back in short to keep myself entertained with my hair for when nothing else changes with it.

mk11
February 5th, 2009, 08:49 PM
This gives me a chance to ask everyone how my bangs look. I cut them myself last week. I've shortened them a little bit and took a picture!!! How does it look?

hair back, bangs down:
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i69/oospazxx/hair/_MG_0104.jpg

While my hairs down they are nice because they stick back with the rest of the hair instead of being in my face
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i69/oospazxx/hair/_MG_0112.jpg

I just wanted to share my pics, I guess I trust myself with scissors more than someone whos been cutting hair for years. I've had too many messups with other people plus no money to pay someone else to do it. I think I did a good job for someone who doesn't generally cut hair! When I donated my hair in 04 I asked them to cut it shoulder length and they cut it butch short. I guess I have good reason to not trust anyone else with a pair of scissors!

Ooh, cute bangs! I love the way they look on you. Good job cutting them. You look gorgeous! :)

I've been cutting my own bangs for over 20 years. They grow quickly and I like to keep them at a particular length right around my eyebrows, (sometimes a bit side swept) so it's just easier for me to trim them a tiny bit every week or so.

I have thought about growing them out - usually in the summer when it's super hot and humid and it seems like it would be cooler to not have any hair on my face - but I just don't think I would look good without them. My forehead is a bit high, and I'm starting to get a little frown line between my eyes... so it's probably not a good time to grow out my bangs and spotlight it.

Plus, even though I like the no-bang look on a lot of people... on me I think it would seem kind of harsh and I think my hairline/cowlick would make it hang kind of funny - my hair tends to grow and sort of hang more forward naturally, if that makes any sense.

I would have a very hard time getting used to being bang-free after all these years, I'm sure.

Dorothy
February 5th, 2009, 09:17 PM
how are you surviving the color growout? I've considered going grey, but I'm more considering Henna, can you just accept the line or how do you style to deal?

Dorothy
February 5th, 2009, 09:27 PM
sorry, that last post was a bit of a nonsequiter in this thread, I was excited by the lady who was growing out her color. More in response to this thread, I settled on my long, straight hair and my over the eyebrows straight across bangs in high school in 86, my hair is very straight and this style is no maintenence for me, and in fact no matter what other styling I do, one step out in the wind or the humid Kansas air will leave me with this same hairdo. Spent years fighting it, finally accepted it. The updo is the variety in my hair world. My bangs are a little Betty Paige - ish, sometimes I trim them just a little higher over the eyebrows and lower right in the middle when I'm feeling daring.

KTlemon
February 8th, 2009, 11:31 PM
I love one length long hair. How long is your hair?

goldenwaves
February 8th, 2009, 11:41 PM
I have side-swept bangs and I like them :)

neveen
February 10th, 2009, 12:47 AM
yay 4 bangs. Some people look great without them but I feel I need them.

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/8272/picture7122qp3.th.jpg (http://img23.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture7122qp3.jpg) http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/3407/57951510rz9.th.jpg (http://img15.imageshack.us/my.php?image=57951510rz9.jpg)

Electric Sky
February 10th, 2009, 03:06 AM
I've had bangs for about 7 months now and I think I look much, much better with them. Normally I have them sideswept. I didn't actually want them, though. Back when I went to a hairdresser to get trims, I went in to get about half an inch cut off my hair. She was cutting it (and not being very nice to me, I might add) and when she was done, she looked at my face and picked up my hair and went, "I think you'd look better with some bangs." and SNIP. Then I watched as about 10 inches of perfectly good hair fell to the floor. I just about flipped.
...And that's why I trim my hair myself now. ;)

But I'm glad she did it. I look much better with them.

carinkla
February 10th, 2009, 07:00 AM
I have bangs but do not know any better. Have had them all my life and also think the shape of my face would not allow not having bangs ;)

Buggheart
February 10th, 2009, 07:11 AM
I have them too. I think my face looks funny and too full without them. I go thru phases where I grow them out but I just hate the way my face looks without them so I always cut them back in.

morguebabe
February 10th, 2009, 07:14 AM
I have them. I have pics in albums.. I just cut them again.

Daoine Sidhe
February 10th, 2009, 08:43 AM
I don't have bangs. I deffinately don't look good with full bangs.
I have long cheeks and since bangs draw more attention to cheeks, bangs are not a good thing for me.

Bangs look good for people with a longer forehead and beautiful cheekbones. But what can you do to draw more attention to the forehead? I know putting more volume at the top is way, but I can't do that with my long fine straight hair... Any idea's?

anyone else here with my face shape ? (bigger or longer cheeks, smaller forehead)

How about some plucks of hair around the cheeks? Does that help or does that make it worse.

Kittee
February 10th, 2009, 08:46 AM
I am rocking manderly style atm. :) Full side swept bangs. Love them.

Redvelvetdragon
February 10th, 2009, 08:53 AM
I too have bangs. I like them short and cut straight across. With my dark hair it frames my face really nicely. I'd grown them out in my late teens early 20s but put them back because they just suit me so nicely. They are sort of my trademark. :)

Amara
February 10th, 2009, 10:05 AM
I have them! I've had them off and on (mostly on) for a few years now... They are eyebrowish length right now - I am on a no-trim challenge until the end of Sept this year though so they'll be growing out in the next months. When I get to Sept I don't know what I'll do with them!

Debra83
February 11th, 2009, 12:35 AM
Tonight, I just cut bangs straight across forehead just a little above my eyebrow. The fringe I cut in November/December had grown down to my nose already. I needed a change.

manderly
February 11th, 2009, 01:06 AM
I am rocking manderly style atm. :) Full side swept bangs. Love them.

LOL! I'm honored :flower: :oops: :lol:

Rohele
February 11th, 2009, 10:34 AM
I have long cheeks and since bangs draw more attention to cheeks, bangs are not a good thing for me.

Bangs look good for people with a longer forehead and beautiful cheekbones. But what can you do to draw more attention to the forehead? I know putting more volume at the top is way, but I can't do that with my long fine straight hair... Any idea's?

anyone else here with my face shape ? (bigger or longer cheeks, smaller forehead)

How about some plucks of hair around the cheeks? Does that help or does that make it worse.

I have a similar face shape to you (smaller forehead in proportion to my face). The only way I can have any sort of bangs is if they are very, very long and sideswept. I cut them lip length or longer so they can blend into the rest of my hair somewhat while they are down, and when I pull my hair up, i can kind of loosen that piece and sweep it to one side and soften the look. It ends up looking more like a face framing chunk than an actual bang when my hair is loose.

I agree shorter bangs look terrible with a smaller forehead. On me they usually end up being about 1.5" and looking really goofy if they are cut to my eyebrows. Add the shrinkage from my wavy hair and its usually a total disaster.

Naava
February 11th, 2009, 11:54 AM
I have full bangs (I'm not 100% sure what the style of my bangs is called), for some reason I think they look good on me :) Last year I grew them out, but ended up having them cut back again.

I guess I will put a picture here too (this was taken a year ago, even though my hair is otherwise longer, the bangs are still the same):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v661/queenbuttercup/mina/hiukset003.jpg

Avalonna
February 11th, 2009, 03:21 PM
I have a narrow forehead and I look awful without bangs. Unlike Rohele, though, I look OK with shortish bangs (by shortish, I mean just below eyebrow). I prefer my bangs just below eye level and sort of sideswept.

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/2096/img0535yp9.jpg

Wanderlust
February 11th, 2009, 04:02 PM
I've had bangs a few times and always got bored of them after a few weeks, but I gave bangs another try in like October and I LOVE them!!! My face is angular and I wear my hair up most of the time, so it softens my face and hides my square forehead.

They're cut straight across now, but I'm thinking of cutting them longer on the sides, and cutting in more face-framing layered bangs. Being able to mess with my bangs lessens the desire to mess with the rest of my hair, so I guess they are kind-of a growing aid too.

Tap Dancer
February 11th, 2009, 06:25 PM

It's hard to know what your face shape is without seeing a picture, but it sounds like you're a diamond. I have no idea what would narrow your face. Is that what you're asking? Layers could work, but they'd have to be cut right. Have you talked to a hairdresser about layering?

Tangles
February 11th, 2009, 07:38 PM
People with a square or wider face-- Cut a few layers that hit below the cheekbones, and straighten if necessary. They will blend in with a side part, don't cut too thick, this is important. My sister does this sometimes and it makes her face way more oval looking.

paintedmuse
February 12th, 2009, 03:22 PM
@Naava I'd definitly call those "Bettie Page bangs" :D
I really like this type of bangs. Most people don't look good with them though, and unfortunately, I'm one of them
(ask me how I know... ouch, that was something I was trying to forget :o)

Two years ago I cut in bangs (like these (http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n246/LillyLeindy/Rory_Frisur2.jpg) , just with more hair in them) and I've kept them for a little more than a year.

Last spring I decided to grow them out. They're about jaw-length now.
I want to completely grow out about 1/3 of them, there's way too much hair in them now.

Finally I'd like them to become face framing layers, looking something like this (http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg13/sanjiibb/W_Rachel_Bilson_01/RachelBilson124.jpg) , just past chin-length.

AngelInDisguise
February 13th, 2009, 11:13 AM
I have side-swept bangs right now and plan to keep them whilst the rest shall grow as quickly as possible.

Years ago I already had BSL hair without any fringe and bangs - which made me look like a very strict teacher or something (which I of course only notice now when looking at old pictures).

AND I think the bangs make me look younger, just as young as I feel. Maybe this also turns out to be mistaken when I look at my photos again in ten years time. ;)

punky
February 13th, 2009, 11:36 AM
I have long bangs swept to the side.

rose_in_bloom
February 13th, 2009, 11:41 AM
I had bangs when I was about 10 or 12. I loved them! Only problem was, they gave me acne on my forehead. :( So they're grown out now, but I will probably try them again sometime.

Daoine Sidhe
February 15th, 2009, 08:20 AM
It's hard to know what your face shape is without seeing a picture, but it sounds like you're a diamond. I have no idea what would narrow your face. Is that what you're asking? Layers could work, but they'd have to be cut right. Have you talked to a hairdresser about layering?

My hairdresser says I have a pear shape face. (It doesn't look as horrible as that sounds :p) I have a picture of my face in my album. I have layers, but I'm growing them out now. I agree layers make my face look nicer. But I'm growing them out because I don't have a lot of hair and it makes my hair look thin at the ends.

I would like to make my cheeks look thinner. I have a bit of a babyface cheeks :p

I know I should ask this to my hairdresser, but I don't come there very often (like many of you :))

Nyghtingale
February 15th, 2009, 08:37 AM
I had bangs for all my life. Always thought my forehead was HUGE and needed to be covered at any cost. But I hated the trims and the general upkeep. This last time when I grew my hair out, I grew out the bangs too. It has finally made it to all one length (thigh) so no going back at this point, lol.

NiAosSi
February 15th, 2009, 09:02 AM
I cut bangs like 2 months ago. And, I hate them. Can't wait to grow them out. On the flipside they were bleached and then dyed black. This was like 2 years ago, so the damage was more on the ends. Not too much damage, but enough to drive me nutso.

Dreams_in_Pink
February 15th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Yes i do have them too, but i wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
Neither will i ever cut them again :)

LiraelQ
March 12th, 2009, 02:20 PM
I've alternated between bangs/no bangs, and I think I like them both equally. Right now I've got straight bangs to about my eyebrows...when perfectly clean I wear them straight, and love them! Once they get a little dirty I side-sweep, maybe tuck under a headband or something. Gotta learn the baby powder trick...

As far as what's stylish and what's not...I've noticed recently that bangs seem to inspire very strong reactions from people. I know a lot of people my age who HATE straight-cut bangs (I think it has something to do with having had terrible haircuts as a child, and I can sympathize) but I think if it suits your face, do it! I like how my bangs and layering frame my face and bring out my features more (and the bf likes it, which is always nice). They also soften the harsh middle-part I have no matter how I try to part from the right.

It IS more maintenance, though, that's for sure.

jojo
March 12th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Bangs or fringe are these not the same thing? anyway I had a fringe (as we call them in the U.K.) all my life and in May 07 I started to grow them out from very short (inch above eye brow) now they are just past my collar bone and I like it either way, though I do find having none so much easier and less time consuming.

arabidbutterfly
March 12th, 2009, 05:46 PM
I am trying to grow mine out and see how it looks. I have not been without bangs of some type in about seven years.

s_tresses
March 12th, 2009, 05:51 PM
i want bangs.:( Stupid curly hair

JCFantasy23
March 12th, 2009, 08:49 PM
I have bangs/fringe. For years I did not, then I slowly cut through layers to create bangs and now have them. Since my hair is so used to being swept and brushed back the same way, the bangs are not always there if I don't want them to be. The reason I opted for them is I like the softer look it generates, but also to hide flaws in my forehead/hairline shape lol

Citrine
March 12th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Bangs here :cheese: I love 'em, and don't think the upkeep is all that bad. I have to shower every two days or so, because the fringe starts to look gross :disgust: On lazy days I simply wash my fringe in the sink when getting ready. Fringe also reminds me to give the hair a little trim, or S&D (like I need to do now :scissors:).
I've grown my bangs out once before, but didn't enjoy the process or how my face looks without bangs. If bangs suit a person and they don't care about the little extra maintenance then I say go for them! :thumbsup:

spf4214
March 12th, 2009, 11:06 PM
I have a cowlick and a widow's peak, so fringes are difficult for me and my part doesn't sit on centre. Although when I was little my mum insisted on the heavy straight across fringe. :p Now I have a side fringe, it's quite thin and I mainly have it to soften my looks because I wear my hair up all of the time. The annoying thing is the upkeep and I have have to trim it quite often.

BritHair
March 12th, 2009, 11:28 PM
I had eyebrow length bangs about 8 months ago and with curly hair they were really high maintenance for me. So they are down to my chin now and are much more manageable.

I let them air dry into ringlets to give a romantic look or I straighten the and part to the side. Most of the time I just pull them back and blend them with the rest of my hair.

I will never cut them short again. If I had straight hair I would probably reconsider that thought. :)

Arctic_Mama
March 12th, 2009, 11:34 PM
I've always had fringe, and it just suits my face better than without, and softens by updos, but it does not suit everyone. If you aren't in love with it, or it is too much work, pin them back and grow them out. If you find them getting greasy be aware you can absolutely just wash you bangs or roots and that will help a lot.

BellaB
March 12th, 2009, 11:49 PM
I had bangs when I was little, then I had all one length hair which was really nice to manage, just air dry and brush my fingers through my hair to keep it off my face.. it was really easy! But honestly I look better with bangs or a side sweep, so that's what I have now.

I recently (two months ago) went full on fringe and hated it at first, then loved it, and was contemplating trimming them so I'd keep my full fringe but I'm scared of the scissors! So I'm just sweeping it to the side, and I'll grow them out and maintain them at a side sweep because it's much easier than a full fringe for me.

Whatever works for you though, personally I wish I could just have one length hair but my hair is too fine and looks bad without the bangs!

Aditi
March 13th, 2009, 12:27 AM
I want to try bangs but i am afraid whether it will look good on me or not.

templeofvenus
March 13th, 2009, 03:14 AM
just grown my short blunt fringe out it is now to my chin took me 9 months though and was a real pain! lol I like fringes but I get a rash on my forehead with a fringe at times specially in the summer, so its no fringe for me from now on!

dulce-de-leche
March 13th, 2009, 05:36 AM
I've never had bangs until last week.All this time I always knew there was something missing
and I was never able to get what it was.I actually just cut "regular"bangs but didn't like them
because they kept buggin me but I just side swept them and loved them!

manderly
March 13th, 2009, 12:44 PM
I want to try bangs but i am afraid whether it will look good on me or not.

Try taaz.com :)

Silver Grace
March 13th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Have bangs; love bangs. On me, anyway! I've tried growing them out but always end up cutting them back in again, so I'm just going to stick with them. My hair is straight and fine and my blunt-cut bangs fall to my eyebrows. I wash them every day - just tie the rest of my hair back and shampoo my bangs in the bathroom sink. Quick, easy and keeps them looking clean and fresh while avoiding washing the rest of my hair too often.

Heavenly Locks
March 13th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Have them, love them...keeping them! :)

I went for a long time without and then tried the 'side bangs' thing...when I got my thick, blunt ones cut I was told by many "you should never NOT have bangs" I've gotten quite positive feedback. I don't mind the maintenance, it's nice to have a 'style'.

FreakyGreenEyes
March 13th, 2009, 09:38 PM
I have fringe and I love it. Weirdly enough, some of my friends didn't recognize me right off the next day.

LHGypsyRose
March 13th, 2009, 09:48 PM
I used to have bangs but I decide to grow them out. They are now at about waist length I think, but Im thinking about cutting them back again.

intothemist1999
March 13th, 2009, 09:53 PM
I always thought bangs and fringe were the same thing, just different sides of the Atlantic :)

However, I call my "short" ones in the centre of my forehead "bangs" and the longer ones on each side a "fringe". If they were uniformly short, I'd call them bangs, even the bits to the sides. :shrug:

Honestwitness
March 13th, 2009, 10:06 PM
I have what I call bangs. I'm from Missouri, USA, and that's what we call them here. Sometimes I wear them up and off my face, which takes more spray and/or gel. However, most of the time I think I look better with them down. They help to cover some skin imperfections on my forehead.

Honestwitness

Sieren
March 13th, 2009, 10:12 PM
I have bangs!!! I had side-swept bangs until yesterday, and now I have straight across bangs (my hairstylist calls them 'Cleopatra bangs' hehe). I frequently go back and forth between the two styles--it gives me something to do with my hair when I get "sick of it" and prevents me from actually cutting it. ;) Plus, I look MUCH better with bangs, due to my high forehead :p

xunnie
March 13th, 2009, 10:28 PM
Most of my life I've had bangs, right now they're side-swept bangs and have been this way for a while. I might grow them out, I sort of like the way they look now, but they might look odd as my hair gets longer and less layered.

Honestwitness
March 13th, 2009, 10:42 PM
I look dorky with Cleopatra bangs, but I love them on people who can wear them. I think they're gorgeous on dark hair, because they shimmer with reflected light.

Juneii
March 13th, 2009, 11:02 PM
I had them for a good part of my life :] as of right now I'm trying to grow them out then maybe cutting a "fringe"-ish layer around my collarbone
keeping up bangs at a short length is tiring, within a month or two the bangs will be bothering me and I have to get them trimmed.

Mirmy
March 18th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Ok I guess this is the thread I need to post in. I used to have a thick fringe as a child. I grew it out then as a teenager I got a 'flicked' fringe, which I grew out before I was 18. Now 8 years on I am seriously considering getting a fringe again. I've lost a lot of weight recently and I feel that my face looks very harsh or something. I wear my hair in updos 6 days a week and feel I need a softer approach.

I think I would like to go for a 'thin' fringe about eyebrow length going the whole way across. I would appreciate any advice before I actually take the plunge and get it cut! Thanks.

Jessaka
March 18th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Once in a while I ask my hairdresser to cut bangs for me. When I was younger I had regular bangs then went to sideswept ones. I am thinking of cutting bangs again, but not sure what kind...........ugh...and also not sure if I will get tired of it and regret it. Right now I'm thinking it would be a good idea as I am irritated w/ the little baby hairs that stick up in the front over there and make it look messy.

csm--carla
March 18th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Ok I guess this is the thread I need to post in. I used to have a thick fringe as a child. I grew it out then as a teenager I got a 'flicked' fringe, which I grew out before I was 18. Now 8 years on I am seriously considering getting a fringe again. I've lost a lot of weight recently and I feel that my face looks very harsh or something. I wear my hair in updos 6 days a week and feel I need a softer approach.

I think I would like to go for a 'thin' fringe about eyebrow length going the whole way across. I would appreciate any advice before I actually take the plunge and get it cut! Thanks.

Hi Mirmy,

I agree--bangs really do soften my look too!

Maybe watching this Youtube video (about cutting your own bangs) can help you decided how much to cut--as it did me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGP3Ct1US94

Previously I had bangs all the way across my forehead as this video describes NOT to do--they looked funny at the time--I couldn't figure out why. Now the side bits are growing out and are always falling into my eyes. I now cut my own bangs and minimized the amount of hair I cut. (small V-shape).

Maybe you could start narrower and make the cut wider after a few days if you thought it was needed.

Hope this helps you decide for your own hair!:cheese:

Carla

Myrrh
March 19th, 2009, 11:33 AM
I've had bangs most of my life. I grew them out once and ended up hating it - my face looks too round.

I have side swept bangs. used to have straight across/blunt, but I look like a little girl then. :)

Mirmy
March 19th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Hi Mirmy,

I agree--bangs really do soften my look too!

Maybe watching this Youtube video (about cutting your own bangs) can help you decided how much to cut--as it did me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGP3Ct1US94

Previously I had bangs all the way across my forehead as this video describes NOT to do--they looked funny at the time--I couldn't figure out why. Now the side bits are growing out and are always falling into my eyes. I now cut my own bangs and minimized the amount of hair I cut. (small V-shape).

Maybe you could start narrower and make the cut wider after a few days if you thought it was needed.

Hope this helps you decide for your own hair!:cheese:

Carla

Carla, thanks so much. I've just watched that video and it explains a lot. Yep I think I did look like a 'coconut head' when I was a young child - and that is definately what I DON'T want this time:) I've made an appointment with my normal hairdresser next week for my normal trim so between now and then I will decide what to do.

If anyone else has any suggestions it would be appreciated!

Gutterfayrie
March 19th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Have them, its a love hate thing...

Most of the time I love them, but right now I'm in a hate phase.

I've been pinning them back for the past 3 weeks trying to decided if I should grow them or trim them... (leaning more on the grow them, I'm more comfortable with my high forehead then I was in the past)

Speckla
March 19th, 2009, 04:18 PM
I have really curly hair so I guess I'd call mine springs? :cheese:
________
COLORADO MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARIES (http://colorado.dispensaries.org/)

patience
March 19th, 2009, 04:21 PM
I go back and forth. Right now I have fairly light bangs and face framing layers.

harpyangel
March 19th, 2009, 04:38 PM
I love my fringe, plus, having to get it cut every 3 weeks because it's getting in my eyes reminds me that my hair is growing! Maintenance is no big deal, I blow dry the fringe on cool setting for a couple of minutes and it just hangs nicely :) I guess that's because it's been cut well. For me, a well cut (read: Professional-cut) fringe is easier to maintain than one I cut myself, because it hangs better.

Harpyangel xxx