PDA

View Full Version : Olive oil

Peter
February 3rd, 2009, 03:34 PM
To all people that use or have used olive oil - have you ever seen the color of your hair lighten at all? In the past few days I've noticed some brown strands and to be honest I don't really like them. My hair used to be really really black (click here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=2191&pictureid=26545)) and I'd like it to stay that way. This is from a few days ago: (click) (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=2191&pictureid=30719) and I'm wondering if it's from olive oil, since it's only from my ears down.

I suppose it could be just natural lightening from the sun but it wasn't like this a couple of months ago (first picture) and I don't see why it would happen all of a sudden.

Is there a different oil I can use that won't affect the color of my hair? Or even better, make it a bit darker? :D

Thanks,
Peter

spidermom
February 3rd, 2009, 03:41 PM
My hair will look darker with the olive oil on it but not after I wash it out. I really don't think that olive oil will lighten your hair. There is a thread floating around here somewhere about emu oil darkening somebody's hair, although I used emu oil exclusively for more than a year, and it did not darken my hair. If you've been out in the sun a lot, that is the most likely culprit.

plainjanegirl
February 3rd, 2009, 03:57 PM
Also if you have been using any kind of harsh shampoo like head and shoulders or baby shampoo etc. those can cause fading of hair color. Have you used any honey in your hair for an extended period of time?

Peter
February 3rd, 2009, 04:10 PM
Spidermom - It's been very cold where I live since I took that first picture, and I've always had my hair braided or ponytailed and tucked inside my jacket. So it hasn't seen much sun at all.

Plainjanegirl - I used to use Head and Shoulders but I stopped quite a while ago. I used a different shampoo sparingly for a few weeks, but now I barely use shampoo at all. I just CO the roots (I don't put anything on the length). I've never used honey.

Thank you for the replies. :)

girlcat36
February 3rd, 2009, 04:14 PM
I was wondering the same thing. I color my hair and olive oil treatments seemed to take the color out of my hair.

1nuitblanche
February 3rd, 2009, 04:36 PM
For the two years when I used olive oil, my hair colour was the same as it was before and is after. However, I have hair that is kind of in between shades naturally, so a subtle difference would likely not have shown up as much as in other hair. I read somewhere (ok, not a great source, and I can't endorse this, but maybe someone sciencey knows more than I) that olive oil has a small peroxide content and that blackened (burnt) coconut oil helps darken hair; there is also a vatika oil that has a coconut base with other oils and things added to it that is supposed to be good for maintaining dark hair.

ktani
February 3rd, 2009, 04:41 PM
Casor oil, mixed with another oil like coconut. or on its own sparingly, because it can be both sticky, and difficult to wash out, has been reported to darken hair over time, and is known to do so.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=160719&postcount=1311

ktani
February 3rd, 2009, 04:47 PM
Extra virgin olive oil has a higher peroxide value than most other oils, almost double, if it is pure and not a blend. Most oils, including coconut oil have peroxide levels that are refulated, and lower.

"Peroxide value PV. Standards to ensure the authenticity of edible oils and fats.

Peroxide value (PV) .... is an indication of the amount of hydroperoxides present in an oil. .... the PV, expressed as milliequivalent oxygen per kilogram oil (meq/kg), is a measure of oil quality. .... PV is greatly reduced by the refining process used for most vegetable oils. Virgin olive oils are not exposed to such processes and the PVs permitted in these products are considerably higher. .... IOOC and CAC standards permit extra-virgin olive oils to have PVs of up to 20 meq/kg, while pure olive oils, which by definition are blends of virgin and refined olive oils, must have PVs below 10 meq/kg."
http://www.fao.org/DOCREP/T4660T/t4660t0e.htm

girlcat36
February 3rd, 2009, 05:00 PM
Extra virgin olive oil has a higher peroxide value than most other oils, almost double, if it is pure and not a blend. Most oils, including coconut oil have peroxide levels that are refulated, and lower.

I knew it! I knew I wasn't crazy!
My hair really liked the olive oil, except I was certain it was getting lighter. And I don't want that.

ktani
February 3rd, 2009, 05:04 PM
I knew it! I knew I wasn't crazy!
My hair really liked the olive oil, except I was certain it was getting lighter. And I don't want that.

I have posted about evoo and olive oil in Honey and I missed another typo. That should read, regulated.

Peter
February 3rd, 2009, 05:06 PM
ktani that is very interesting information, thank you.

1nuitblanche I will look into this coconut oil, thanks!

ktani
February 3rd, 2009, 05:08 PM
ktani that is very interesting information, thank you.

You are most welcome.

Peter
February 3rd, 2009, 06:35 PM
I'm going to see if I can get some coconut oil, or maybe castor oil.

I've never ever colored my hair but I'm wondering if there's a way I can get the brown bits black again? I'm not sure if dyeing it would give me the same shine that my black hair has. I also don't want to damage my hair, and even though I don't like the color, I'd rather leave it healthy and cut it later than have rough/damaged/dull black hair.

Thanks,
Peter

ktani
February 3rd, 2009, 06:45 PM
I'm going to see if I can get some coconut oil, or maybe castor oil.

I've never ever colored my hair but I'm wondering if there's a way I can get the brown bits black again? I'm not sure if dyeing it would give me the same shine that my black hair has. I also don't want to damage my hair, and even though I don't like the color, I'd rather leave it healthy and cut it later than have rough/damaged/dull black hair.

Thanks,
Peter

You may find this of interest.
This post
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=198543&postcount=2
from this thread.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=8939

Peter
February 3rd, 2009, 08:24 PM
Thank you ktani, but after some thought I think I'm going to leave my hair the way it is and start using a different oil, perhaps castor like you suggested.

You've been very helpful. :)

Peter

ktani
February 3rd, 2009, 08:26 PM
Thank you ktani, but after some thought I think I'm going to leave my hair the way it is and start using a different oil, perhaps castor like you suggested.

You've been very helpful. :)

Peter

My pleasure!

flapjack
February 3rd, 2009, 09:15 PM
Definitely seconding the castor oil suggestion. I was one of the guinea pigs who used it on eyebrows and eyelashes. If it works for those, I'm sure it works for the hair on your scalp, too. ;)

ktani
February 3rd, 2009, 09:18 PM
Definitely seconding the castor oil suggestion. I was one of the guinea pigs who used it on eyebrows and eyelashes. If it works for those, I'm sure it works for the hair on your scalp, too. ;)

I posted your saved posts, here.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=160719&postcount=1311

Aisha25
February 3rd, 2009, 09:22 PM
In India its good to use sesame oil or coconut oil these 2 will keep the hairs staying black. Sesame oil is good for blocking the sun from turning the hairs red or brown.

Peter
February 3rd, 2009, 10:03 PM
In India its good to use sesame oil or coconut oil these 2 will keep the hairs staying black. Sesame oil is good for blocking the sun from turning the hairs red or brown.I'm allergic to sesame actually, but yes coconut oil is definitely on my list. Thanks :D

Heidi_234
February 4th, 2009, 01:28 AM
EVOO only lightens the hair of those who don't won't it. I suppose that as soon as I be happy with my hair color, EVOO will start lightening my hair as well :lol:

zift
February 6th, 2009, 09:49 AM
I was going to mention sesame oil but seems like you're allergic to it...I have henndigo on my hair so oiling( in general and especially olive oil) made indigo wash away and my hair got lighter. But the information ktani gave makes me think that it might lighten virgin hair too on regular use with its peroxide:confused:

ktani
February 6th, 2009, 09:55 AM
I was going to mention sesame oil but seems like you're allergic to it...I have henndigo on my hair so oiling( in general and especially olive oil) made indigo wash away and my hair got lighter. But the information ktani gave makes me think that it might lighten virgin hair too on regular use with its peroxide:confused:

The hair would need to be wet and yes, evoo has been reported to lighten hair somewhat but even with its higher peroxide level, it has not been reported to lighten hair very much on its own.

Its peroxide level is still much lower than the peroxide level many honeys can have.

Sissy
February 7th, 2009, 10:51 AM
This is a good post :)

I did not realise EVOO could lighten hair. That is disappointing as I liked using EVOO heavy oiling in my hair. However, I do not want lightening effects.

So, could I/should I try to destroy the lightening properties of EVOO like others do to honey?

In other words should people who don't want the lightening effect of EVOO nuke it in the microwave before using it? Similar to how people suggest nuking honey to destry it's lightening properties before using it in SMT.

Thanks,
Sissy

ktani
February 7th, 2009, 12:29 PM
This is a good post :)

I did not realise EVOO could lighten hair. That is disappointing as I liked using EVOO heavy oiling in my hair. However, I do not want lightening effects.

So, could I/should I try to destroy the lightening properties of EVOO like others do to honey?

In other words should people who don't want the lightening effect of EVOO nuke it in the microwave before using it? Similar to how people suggest nuking honey to destry it's lightening properties before using it in SMT.

Thanks,
Sissy

You could but I would leave it out of the SMT and simply use it on damp or dry hair. I has not been reported to lighten hair very much on its own. It also depends on how pure the evoo is, that you have. A blend has a lower peroxide level. Microwaving evoo is not the same as nuking honey. The enzyme in honey that generates hydrogen peroxide is destroyed my microwaving, not the peroxide.

Elphie
February 7th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Interesting thread. I had no idea EVO could do that.

GlassEyes
February 8th, 2009, 11:10 AM
I was just about to post something similar to ktani, though less backed up and thorough. xD

However, I think that, like peroxide-released honey, that if you are to use it in combination with other things (like conditioner, which often contains peroxide-inhibiting ingredients) EVOO won't lighten your hair. At least not extremely.

Peter
February 8th, 2009, 11:20 AM
However, I think that, like peroxide-released honey, that if you are to use it in combination with other things (like conditioner, which often contains peroxide-inhibiting ingredients) EVOO won't lighten your hair. At least not extremely.Oh, this is interesting, I might try it. Thanks. :)

3azza
February 9th, 2009, 01:47 PM
I use plenty olive oil to message my scalp before showering my hair and i only add few amounts to the ends of my hair. If olive oil is to lighten hair, then my roots would be lighter than the ends, but they are not, so i don't think that olive oil lighten the hair, at least not in my case.

Nocturnal
February 9th, 2009, 08:46 PM
But your hair is constantly growing, 3azza. If EVOO was to lighten hair than you probably still wouldn't have noticed. :rolleyes:

Aisha25
February 9th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Thanks God my hairs show no lightening from evoo and I use it alot. Im just happy it makes them soft and strong but I get no lightening effects:bounce:

prettyinpink
September 19th, 2013, 02:40 PM
Anybody else ever have lightening from evoo?