PDA

View Full Version : How do you know when it's time to trim?

elbow chic
February 3rd, 2009, 08:15 AM
Bear with a rank newbie.

I used to get trims every couple of months, which *definitely* held me back from growing; lurking on LHC convinced me that my hair would not actually explode if I quit trimming an inch off every two months. ;)

duh, right?

So I've not had a trim since July, and have been happy with the condition of my hair thus far. I've been wearing it up and covered almost every day, washing every 2-3 days, and lately doing scalp-washes and CO instead of the full-bore scrub.

But now when I let it down and comb it, there are sticky-out hairs along the bottom inch of my hair. I've been searching for split ends, but haven't found any that are actually split. :confused:

Surely there ARE split ends, and I would S&D if I could find the elusive things, but... if I can't find them, maybe a trim is in order?

If it's just that my hair is developing a more "natural" hemline, then that's fine with me, but if it's that there is actual damage, I'd like to get rid of the damaged hair.

Suggestions? (I wash with an apparently evil shampoo, too-- a friend gave me a CASE of pantene months ago, and I've been determined to finish it off before experimenting with new products.)

Akiko
February 3rd, 2009, 09:28 AM
Each hair strand grows at a slightly different speed. So I think you are seeing a natural hemline developing. There is no trimming frequency rule you must follow. If the ends of your hair feel good and it's hard to find split ends, I would not trim.

As for Pantene, some people don't like it. Others like it. So if you are OK with it, I would continue. You have a case! That's a lot.:)

pdy2kn6
February 3rd, 2009, 09:36 AM
pics may help in our evaluation of whether it appears damaged or simply natural fairytale ends. I haven't had a trim in 1.5 years or more and i get some curlier/springier/wavier strands (wavy at the very last inch of my hair i mean), which occasionally I trim in SD but sometimes i don't. They are not split, just a bit wavier at the end, this may be what you are talking about? I suggest if it isn't split or dry it should be okay.

elbow chic
February 3rd, 2009, 09:37 AM
Who knew you could buy it by the *case*, though? :p I do like the conditioner... it weights the hair down, which is a desirable quality in my book.

Yes, the ends generally feel fine, not fried or fuzzy once I look at smallish sections... it's just that it's been so long since I've let my hair do its own "thing" that I've forgotten what its normal "thing" even is.

(I'll see if DH can help me upload a pic from our hard-drive when he gets home.)

elbow chic
February 3rd, 2009, 09:40 AM
And yes, the hair IS wavier on its last inch.

As if the waves in the rest of the hair suddenly disperse sort of untidily and each hair waves its own way.

Melisande
February 3rd, 2009, 09:54 AM
If you are curious to try other products, you might try to swap your Pantene case for something coneless ;-)

I think I know what you mean: hairs that lift their little heads and become noticeably, they stick out. Usually that's in the last few cm for me, not all over my head. It's the tips that have suffered some abuse over time. You might either S&D them, leave them alone, oil them to prevent them from splitting, or if they disturb you too much, trim a bit.

Do you measure? If you take off every three months half of your new growth of one month, you are still left with 2.5 months' worth of new growth! Tiny trims are for many people one of the helpers on their way towards long hair. I don't trim if I can't help it but I hide my unruly frazzled ends in buns (after I oil or mist or mist-and-oil them).

There is really no hard and fast rule. You have to feel comfortable with your hair.

Tabitha
February 3rd, 2009, 09:58 AM
I tend to have a trim every 6 months or so and still in 3 years grew from chin-length bob to past waist. I have found that when it's about time for a trim, I notice my hair tangling more at the ends, although the hairdresser always tells me I have no split ends.

elbow chic
February 3rd, 2009, 10:00 AM
I haven't really measured, but was looking at some photos from nine months back, and was surprised how much longer it really is (even if it doesn't feel that way.)

So maybe a tiny trim would not undo six months' worth of growth. But I'm kind of leaning toward leaving it alone and seeing what happens.

A few wild hairs won't jump out and gobble up the rest of the nice smooth hair, will they?

It is surprisingly hard to relax about it after a lifetime of regular salon visits. :o

Wanderlust
February 4th, 2009, 10:13 PM
I trim mostly based on how my hair feels when I comb it. I know it's time to trim when I just did a clarifying rinse, conditioned real well, combed wet and combed dry and the ends of my hair are still sticking together like velcro.

I'll also trim when the ends of my hair are looking uneven or not quite blunt enough for my liking.

susiemw
February 4th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Suggestions?

step away from the scissors!
step away!

Unless the ends of your hair are really damaged or splitting I see no reason to trim. Unless you want a different shaped
hemline but that is a different issue.

good luck with getting rid of the addiction to trimming. You'll love the results.

susan

daydreamer
February 5th, 2009, 12:06 AM
It sounds like your hair is in really good condition! I'd see no reason to trim unless you just hate the ends. Do they catch on eachother or anything like that? Maybe a micro-trim would help in that case.

darkwaves
February 5th, 2009, 06:04 AM
I trim when my hair starts to tangle and knot at the ends. I can tell it's time -- the tips of ends feel like steel wool, and as this hair is very fragile (once dyed/fried), it starts to split.

As long as the ends feel soft, without too many splits, I just leave it -- unless the hemline is completely off. (My hair seems to grow faster on one side than the other.)

I have micro trims (1/4") every six or so months, too. I have gone as long as a year, but had to cut a bit more than I wanted.

Carolyn
February 5th, 2009, 06:22 AM
I used to trim every 2 months and never got anywhere :D Now I do a lot of S & D to remove only the split ends. I'll do a hemline trim when I want a more blunt edge. If I'm wearing my hair up most of the time I tend not to worry about it much. I usually go 4-6 month between micro trims. I don't think there is any reason to trim unless you are unhappy with your ends or you are having tangling issues that can't be solved with clarifying.

How about using the Pantene as body wash or giving it to your DH?