PDA

View Full Version : Leave in Conditioner question

bikerblue
February 3rd, 2009, 05:28 AM
Hello

Bit of a silly question this but has anyone ever used leave in conditioner like a normal rinse out conditioner, I know folks use their normal conditioner as a leave in. what results did you get?

thanks BB

drynkinky
February 3rd, 2009, 05:52 AM
Hi bikerblue,
I'm a newbie, but as I understand it, standard conditioners are designed to be washed out, and therefore sometimes contain ingredients that are not suitable to leave in. For instance, many conditioners contain methylisothiazolinone and/or methylchloroisothiazolinone. These are preservatives and strong allergens that are OK for short application (as per standard conditioner), but definitely not OK for sustained application (as per leave-in). Much greater chance of irritation of scalp, etc.

That said, of course, it all depends on the individual, and I dare say there'll be someone along who has used these ingredients as a leave-in with happy results. Personally, though, I wouldn't recommend it. Companies get away with the maximum they can. If they don't put such ingredients in their leave-ins, it's for a reason.

drynkinky
February 3rd, 2009, 06:00 AM
bikerblue,
just re-read your post, and realize that you asked the opposite question to the one I just answered. But at least you can safely rule out all of the above :D

Never tried it myself. All I would say is that all leave-ins that I've tried - except natural oiling, etc. - have contained cones, so if cones are an issue for you then you'll have to hunt down a natural leave-in (could be pricey).

Curlsgirl
February 3rd, 2009, 06:49 AM
I think perhaps the reason you don't hear of that too often is because generally a leave-in is more expensive than a rinse-out and usually but not always a bit lighter as well.

Islandgrrl
February 3rd, 2009, 07:07 AM
The only circumstance in which I'd do that is if I were trying to use up some leave-in to get rid of it. I do it the other way round all the time though (my conditioner is hand crafted and doesn't contain any bad things).

SHELIAANN1969
February 3rd, 2009, 07:39 AM
I use regular conditioners all the time in place of leave ins.

The leave ins are more expensive and lighter. You can either use less of the normal conditioner or water it down a bit.

I haven't suffered any bad side effects. :D

ETA: I would never rinse out such an expensive product! :D

Copasetic
February 3rd, 2009, 08:00 AM
I've never tried it because my leave in conditioners are generally light ones, and I like a good deep condition when I am using a rinse out one.

Katze
February 3rd, 2009, 09:08 AM
I use goth rosary as my leave-in, but only occasionally as a wash-out. It is really lovely in that it moisturizes my fine hair without weighing it down, but honestly is rather expensive, so I save it for leave-in. Oh, and it's also in my mister.

Never bought a conditioner designed for just leave-in, but I tend towards more natural products anyway.

bikerblue
February 3rd, 2009, 09:34 AM
Thanks for all you replies, Islandgirl that's exactly my situation!!
think I'll use up my existing leave in then use good old coconut oil. thanks again for all your help.
BB