PDA

View Full Version : Classic and beyond?

Catladyintown
February 2nd, 2009, 10:27 PM
Hello I would like to get opinions from any one that has classic and beyond hair about S&D missions. First do you do S&D and if so how often? If you don't do S&D missions what do you do about split ends? I have tried not to do S&D but then I get split ends and still have to cut and it seems like I will never get to classic length and beyond. Any help and advice would be deeply appreciated.:D Thanks

Aisha25
February 2nd, 2009, 10:30 PM
If I get splits its maybe 1 or 2 I check maybe once a month now before it was like once a week. When find them I just snip them off, snip:scissors:

Catladyintown
February 2nd, 2009, 10:33 PM
I try being careful with my hair and I still get a lot of split ends. Mainly I keep it up around 85% of the time. It seems that I never win against the split end demon.:(

vindo
February 2nd, 2009, 11:31 PM
I think what might be a problem could be that your hair will hit the butt before it can hang freely again, so that could cause more damage.
I felt like this was the hardest part for me and my ends were behaving weirdly, I had more splits. Back then I did S&D about 4 times a week (right now its more like every 2 mths -_-)
Maybe you could clear your lengths with intensive S&D, if you want a little trim, and then try to get past that curve as quickly as you can, maintain and care a little and then its only a walk down the hill to classic..:p it's almost like hiking.

Finoriel
February 3rd, 2009, 02:08 AM
I do not do S&D at all, itīs not that it is a must for everyone with long healthy hair :wink:. I hate the thought of wasting my time with looking for the few split ends, hiding somewhere in there. For me S&D simply is not necessary to have healthy hair and I refuse to do it :p.
Frequent trimming and wearing my hair up on a daily basis in some sort of bun (80%) or braid (20%) seems to do the trick, at night I always wear a braid. Braids are better than wearing ones hair down completely, but in terms of split prevention due to mechanical damage they are not as effective as a bun.
A very gentle routine and careful handling of my hair also helps to prevent splits.
No heat styling or chemical damage.
All in all I guess thatīs what makes it possible for me to skip the dreadful S&D completely.

If you notice a special area/length where many split ends show up, this could also point out at the time where this part of the hair grew, while something was wrong with your health/stress level/diet.
Or it can point out a style/hair-toy you frequently wear, or have worn in the past, thatīs causing damage (caused damage) to this specific area, which is showing up now.
Hair is an indicator with a long time memory for those things.

Catladyintown
February 3rd, 2009, 04:59 PM
Thank you Aisha and Emichiee and also Finoriel:D. Emichiee if only my hair can get past the but stage.:p Finoriel I never thought split ends could be do to illness. I had a bad Asthma attack in December and early January. Maybe that could have caused all the split ends?

physicschick
February 3rd, 2009, 05:04 PM
I don't do S&D. My hair splits a lot, far too much to keep up with, and it'll continue to split no matter what I do. However, I do quarterly trims, which get rid of the worst of the ends. When I was trying to gain length, my trims were about half of the new growth--so if I grew 1.5", I'd trim only 0.75". In my opinion, it's fine to have split ends as long as they're not bothering you terribly or causing lots of tangles.

getoffmyskittle
February 3rd, 2009, 05:06 PM
I'm barely at classic and have almost totally given up S&D. I think overzealous S&Ding has led to a lot of end thinning for me. If your hair is basically in good condition, I don't recommend it at all.

spidermom
February 3rd, 2009, 05:13 PM
Sometimes I get into an obsessive mood and S&D like crazy for hours. Of course, when you're S&Ding, 10 minutes seems like an hour. What I try to limit myself to is to have scissors handy when I'm combing out and detangling my hair. If I see anything obvious causing the tangle - like split ends - I snip them off. But really; it's crazy to me to try to evaluate and deal with 100,000+ hairs individually. Would you wade into a field of wheat to snip off individual grain heads? It would probably be easier than doing the same with hair.

Kleis
February 3rd, 2009, 05:16 PM
I split-end trim frequently. My hair grows so slowly that I don't want to be doing any regular hemline trims, so ... :shrug: They're damaging, so I want them off. I don't feel like I spend too much time on it. I just do sessions on a regular basis.

BlndeInDisguise
February 3rd, 2009, 05:24 PM
Usually when I'm combing my hair out or putting it up in a bun or whatever, I'll notice a split end and chop it off. You can have long hair and still have it split easily, because all I have to do is look at my hair and it splits, practically. :D

I'm hoping that once the whole length is well taken care of hair (it'll be a few years yet ;)) it won't split as easily. But until then, I'll just try to handle it as gently as possible.

julya
February 3rd, 2009, 06:47 PM
I don't do S&D anymore, but I will trim out fairy knots. I don't think it makes much of a difference for my hair.

EdG
February 3rd, 2009, 06:52 PM
I don't get split ends, most likely because my hair is coarse.

On rare occasions, I will find a knot in my hair. I carefully try to un-knot it, and if that doesn't work, then I'll S/D it. :)
Ed

Cinnamon Hair
February 3rd, 2009, 07:48 PM
Hello I would like to get opinions from any one that has classic and beyond hair about S&D missions. First do you do S&D and if so how often? If you don't do S&D missions what do you do about split ends? I have tried not to do S&D but then I get split ends and still have to cut and it seems like I will never get to classic length and beyond. Any help and advice would be deeply appreciated.:D Thanks

No I don't S&D. When I first heard about it I did, but I quickly realized it is impossible to go through all 150,000+ hairs on the human head searching for splits. Also, my eyes can't take the strain. If I see a fairy knot while combing or something, if I have scissors handy I'll snip it (or, cringe, snap it apart with my fingers, yes I'm naughty) but aside from that up until now I just relied on my yearly trims to catch any splits at the ends. I have plenty of splits on hairs that don't reach my full length but they don't seem to be any major problem, so I ignore them. Now that I am at goal length I trim more often than once a year, but still, that does nothing for the splits higher up.

freznow
February 3rd, 2009, 07:52 PM
I haven't done S&D in a long while. I have a ton of splits, and they're bothersome, but... Oh well. I don't trim now, but it doesn't seem to really help me all that much.

LHGypsyRose
February 3rd, 2009, 08:01 PM
I will rarely sit down to do a S&D, but on occasion I will get bored and spend quite a bit of time on it. I usually keep a pair of scissors handy while I am combing or finger raking, just in case.

Catladyintown
February 3rd, 2009, 08:29 PM
Thank you everyone for your input.:D I think I will give up on my S&D missions for a year and see what happens.:) Hopefully with a lot of oiling my ends that will help.

HairColoredHair
February 3rd, 2009, 08:54 PM
I S&D very, very rarely, only if I think it's causing a problem.

trolleypup
February 3rd, 2009, 11:59 PM
If I don't keep up with S&D, my hair gets more tangly. I always have my scissors with me, so whenever I have time and good light, I can snip them off.

Mine are all through the length, so trims would be utterly ineffective.

SimplyLonghair
February 4th, 2009, 12:23 AM
I used to S&D but I gave it up. I was unsure if it worked for me, as I was spending way too much time obsessing!:o LOL So no more S&D's and for me I think that my hair is happier!:D