PDA

View Full Version : Do you oil dry or wet?

lynnala
March 28th, 2008, 09:23 PM
I'm talking after washing. I definitely prefer to oil on dry hair. When I oil my hair when still wet, it comes out stringy and oily. The same amount of oil on my dry hair just soaks in moisturizes nicely. Why the heck is that, anyway? I guess the water keeps the oil from penetrating the hair?

Mary <><
March 28th, 2008, 09:26 PM
I do it both ways depending on when I remember to do it. If I do it wet, I usually use less oil and add a 2 drops more when it is dry. This seems to be what my hair likes. I use Jojoba BTW.

lynnala
March 28th, 2008, 09:39 PM
I'm experimenting with camilla oil now, so far I like it a lot, especially on my face!

forgetmenotak
March 28th, 2008, 10:08 PM
I personally like using oil on both dry and wet hair. The night before wash day I oil my hair heavily, it seems to work the best for me.

akurah
March 28th, 2008, 10:11 PM
I prefer to oil dry hair. I always manage to over oil if I do it on wet or damp hair.

Nynaeve
March 28th, 2008, 10:40 PM
If it is after washing, I let my hair dry to a certain extent and oil while "damp."
Oiling while wet or dry ends up causing problems for me.
That being said, I do oil dry between COs.

I use Coconut, Jojoba, Rosemary and Tea Tree oils depending on how my hair feels/my mood.

Ash
March 28th, 2008, 10:49 PM
I experimented for a couple of months oiling only on dry hair. This caused my hair to dry out quite badly since the oil kept it from being moisturized. Since then, I have only oiled on very damp hair and it seems to work much better for me.

longhairedfairy
March 28th, 2008, 11:22 PM
I usually use camellia oil on wet or damp hair. It seems to spread out better. When I dry oil it tends to stick more in some places than others and my hair looks greasy.

eadwine
March 29th, 2008, 12:28 AM
I personally like using oil on both dry and wet hair. The night before wash day I oil my hair heavily, it seems to work the best for me.

Same here, applied on dry hair. I tried it on misted before, and oh bah did my hair hate that. It became all dry and icky feeling.

After washing I don't oil anymore. I only oil on other times when I feel the ends are dry. Considering I mist a great deal, it cannot be moisture, and it works great. Next day no more dry ends.

Arashi
March 29th, 2008, 12:43 AM
On the occasion that my hair really needs it, I'll oil when dry. However, even the slightest amount of oil otherwise makes my hair look.. well, bad. :shrug:

aisling
March 29th, 2008, 01:01 AM
I always oil my wet or damp hair a little after washing and never on dry hair, that just turns my hair crunchy and weird, even if done as a prewash oiling. Oil + dry hair is a big nono for me.

Masara
March 29th, 2008, 01:30 AM
My hair's like lynnala's. If I oil it wet or too damp, it just looks stringy. I have to oil it dry or at least 90% dry. Then, the oil does wonders. I've tried a lot of oils and most of them work well, but I always come back to coconut oil for my every day use.

Faepirate
March 29th, 2008, 02:40 AM
I oil on dry hair with coconut.

But with jojoba, I prefer to oil on damp hair.

I don't know why but the coconut on wet hair just goes BLEEEUH and the jojoba on dry hair goes crunchy and weird.

Olive oil I prefer on dry hair but I only use this the night before washday, as it's so heavy.

Whatever I do, though, I tend to over-oil. Half on purpose, though. My hair does better when it's spent a couple of days in a slick ;) It's fine as long as I keep my hair up - I wouldn't like anybody to see it down like this! Ha.

Carina
March 29th, 2008, 03:49 AM
I always oil on damp hair.But if it soaks in real quick then I put on a little more on dry hair.

shrimp
March 29th, 2008, 04:01 AM
I oil on both soaking wet hair and dry. My hair just loves coconut oil :inlove:

AmandaPanda
March 29th, 2008, 04:10 AM
I oil when my hair is dry. I don't think I have ever tried to do it when it's wet or damp

I like camellia and grapeseed oils

FrannyG
March 29th, 2008, 07:51 AM
I only oil on dry hair. One of the positives about this is I know exactly how much oil my hair needs by touch, whereas if it's wet, it's hard to tell.

Also, I remember reading in an oil tutorial article, that I hope will be retrieved, that oil is best done on dry hair, but I can't remember the reasoning for that. :shrug: