PDA

View Full Version : Calling for wiser Silverhaired women

Silver & Gold
February 2nd, 2009, 07:42 PM
I'm struggling with the silver hairs at my temples. The are much curlier, dryer and seem to break easier than the rest of my hair. I'm doing my best to try and pay a little more attention to their condition in order to make the hair a bit stronger and less dry.

I'm sure I'm not the only older woman out there who struggles with the fragility of her hair at the temples so I would like to hear from any of you who have figured out a way to keep them in the best condition possible.

Thanks!

Xandergrammy
February 2nd, 2009, 08:14 PM
I'll be watching this thread with great interest as I have the same problem. I've actually only found short term solutions- namely gel or water to activate the curl and keep my wispies from getting too frizzy.

frizzinator
February 2nd, 2009, 08:15 PM
I have not washed or rinsed my hair since August 2007. Before that, my hair was frizzy no matter what I did. If you are interested, check out my photo album and read the NW/SO thread. Sebum Only solved the dry, frizzy and fragile hair problem for me.

Here is my photo from May 2007

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee178/frizzliz/10408009.jpg

Here is my photo from August 2008

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee178/frizzliz/8508.jpg

Kuchen
February 2nd, 2009, 11:32 PM
I've always had the problem of fragile hair at the temples - I'm not sure that it's age, just the way the hairline works. And that's where my greys are coming in too.

lynnala
February 2nd, 2009, 11:39 PM
Well, I might not be too much help here, because the hair at my temples was never a specific problem, ALL of my hair has always been lightweight and fragile. I've lately been using only Indian herbs to wash my hair, no soap whatsoever, and my hair is much stronger, shiny and not frizzy in the slightest.

Elenna
February 3rd, 2009, 12:57 AM
Now that my hair is longer, I'm trying more hair styles. Except, my temple hairs seem to be as described: short and fragile. These are too short to include in swept back hair style. As my hair gets more silver it has become more like gossamer.

Elenna
February 3rd, 2009, 01:01 AM
Darn double post here! :-}

Toadstool
February 3rd, 2009, 02:24 AM
I think my hair is finer and weaker at the temples. A hairdresser told me this is normal. It doesn't seem dryer though.

MemSahib
February 3rd, 2009, 06:39 AM
I, too, am thinking hair is naturally more fragile at the temples than elsewhere. As for being frizzy, freshly sprouted grey hair is often frizzy until it gets some length to it. (Till it's properly aged, should I say?) If this is really a problem you might try the tiniest bit of oily fingers across these hairs when right out of the shower to see it that helps. Aside from the usual gentle treatment you want to give them I'm not sure what to do.

mellie
February 3rd, 2009, 06:43 AM
Not that I am wise by any means, haha, but I agree with Lynnala - since I've been washing with soapnuts, my silver hairs do seem to be cooperating quite a bit more than they used to.

Silver & Gold
February 3rd, 2009, 07:25 AM
Thank you ladies for the responses. I've actually been using soapnuts to wash my hair for the past couple of weeks, before that it was CV bars. I don't have trouble with the rest of my hair, silver or otherwise. Just that temple area. I've also used aloe, aloe mixed with jojoba and straight up oil on these hairs. So it seems except for trying the NW/SO things I've been experimenting with the same things you ladies are doing.

I agree that hair at the temples is more fragile than the rest of the hair on the head even when you are young. But when the temple hairs become silver they become increasingly fragile. That loss of pigment is more than color loss.

Anyway, I really appreciate the advice. It sounds like I'm doing the best I can right now. Although I can't rock the idea of going NW/SO right now, I can try to avoid getting any washing agent in the temple area to keep from stripping what little oil is in that area away from my hair at the temples.

I've worn bangs for so long that I wasn't fully aware of the fragility of my temple hairs until I started growing my hair to all one length. The things I'm learning . . .

Katze
February 3rd, 2009, 09:12 AM
I have both wispy, baby fine temple hairs and coarser, frizzy silvers (an inch or so away from the temple/forehead hairs, they are coming in in a concentrated streak). Since I've been pregnant, this forehead and temple hair is growing like mad and I have a more intense halo than before. Headbands, barettes, gel, are my friends, and I have also been brushing a bit on dirty days (I usually don't brush because of oiliness/wanting to keep waves) which does seem to help a bit.

But the silvers, which are mostly 1-4 inches long, still pop out on their own. I change my part sometimes depending on where I want them to fall, which also helps, but does not fix the issue.

Linda K
February 3rd, 2009, 09:32 AM
I have not washed or rinsed my hair since August 2007. Before that, my hair was frizzy no matter what I did. If you are interested, check out my photo album and read the NW/SO thread. Sebum Only solved the dry, frizzy and fragile hair problem for me.

Here is my photo from May 2007

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee178/frizzliz/10408009.jpg

Here is my photo from August 2008

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee178/frizzliz/8508.jpg

What a difference! I PM'd you - didn't realize I still had this thread open in a tab!:o

DelynofRhondda
February 3rd, 2009, 09:46 AM
What are you using to wash and condition your face? I used to have very dry, brittle hair all around my hair line until I switched to an oil- based cleanser and alcohol- free toner. Never thought about it at the time and always blamed the treys ... Poor little maligned things that they are !grin! It's worth a look into the facial products being the culprit.

Silver & Gold
February 3rd, 2009, 11:22 AM
What are you using to wash and condition your face? I used to have very dry, brittle hair all around my hair line until I switched to an oil- based cleanser and alcohol- free toner. Never thought about it at the time and always blamed the treys ... Poor little maligned things that they are !grin! It's worth a look into the facial products being the culprit.

Thanks for the advice but I know this isn't an issue for me. I use plain water or olive oil to wash my face. Good advice for those reading this thread who might be making this mistake.

Linda K
February 3rd, 2009, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the advice but I know this isn't an issue for me. I use plain water or olive oil to wash my face. Good advice for those reading this thread who might be making this mistake.

O-o-h! Excellent Point! :) I'd been using a cleansing oil, but switched back to my trusty standby - baking soda to gently scrub a bit, then wash everything - including yesterday's eye make-up off with Noxema! Maybe the soda is part of the dryness I've been experiencing of late. How do you do water only? just splash or with a wash cloth?

frizzinator
February 3rd, 2009, 01:00 PM
Linda K, I do water only on my face and body, and I use a washcloth in order to help exfoliate dead skin cells. I also brush my skin for the same reason, including my face, but on my face I use a softer brush than I use on the rest of my body.

Silver & Gold
February 3rd, 2009, 01:00 PM
O-o-h! Excellent Point! :) I'd been using a cleansing oil, but switched back to my trusty standby - baking soda to gently scrub a bit, then wash everything - including yesterday's eye make-up off with Noxema! Maybe the soda is part of the dryness I've been experiencing of late. How do you do water only? just splash or with a wash cloth?

I splash my face with warm water and then use a damp Wonder Cloth (http://www.wondercloth.com/content/estore_details.asp?product=14) to scrub it a bit.

csm--carla
February 3rd, 2009, 01:47 PM
Newbie here.

Linda K -- what an amazing difference in your hair--I am INTERESTED in what you did. I need this!!

I looked up NW/SO in the abbreviations and did a thread search and this wasn't readily apparent.

Would someone expound on this please? No wash..........?/..........

Thank you very much in advance!

Carla

frizzinator
February 3rd, 2009, 02:09 PM
Newbie here.

Linda K -- what an amazing difference in your hair--I am INTERESTED in what you did. I need this!!

I looked up NW/SO in the abbreviations and did a thread search and this wasn't readily apparent.

Would someone expound on this please? No wash..........?/..........

Thank you very much in advance!

Carla

Here is the thread. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=144&highlight=Sebum It started under a different name in the archives by Boukje.

Moiraine
February 5th, 2009, 07:38 PM
My temple hair are much better since I began sleeping on a satin pillowcase about a year but I have these awful little frizzy white hairs in the place over your ears where your glasses arms go. They look good when I get my daughter to trim them into 80's "points" if anybody remembers those. But then they grow out again and they refuse to lay down no matter what I try to do to them.

Because I wear my hair pulled back they stick out like sore thumbs. The only thing I can do is keep the colour on my hair (but even then this hair is so coarse that it doesn't even take the colour well. Guess I'll have to do the best I can with them, as they don't look like they will go away *uggggh*

I don't have any solutions, just wanted to put my oar in so everyone else knows there are others out there with the same problem *sigh*

Silver rainbow
February 6th, 2009, 03:51 PM
My hair is more fragile around the temples and i have assumed that that's just the way it is. The rest of my hair is ok.

Linda K
February 6th, 2009, 06:21 PM
I splash my face with warm water and then use a damp Wonder Cloth (http://www.wondercloth.com/content/estore_details.asp?product=14) to scrub it a bit.

Silver & Gold:
How well does the Wonder Cloth work to take off make-up? I just haven't found a regular make-up remover that my eyes like. Mascara in particular! I don't use water proof but it sure seems like it! I always end up w/ raccoon eyes! Surprisingly, the days I CO my hair, I thot - Why not? I used the CO to remove the make-up! Seemed to work pretty well. I figure eye lashes probably need help too! :o

I have a DermaSpa from the same people I got my puppy 'poo (Paw & Hoof Dreams) on Ebay. It's around $12. A waffle weave, supposedly the same one that "took Europe by storm"! I think it stinks on the eye make-up. It's suppose to be used with water only. Of course, after being here, I didn't factor in an adjustment period for skin - so maybe I'll have to it another try!:confused:

Silver & Gold
February 6th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Silver & Gold:
How well does the Wonder Cloth work to take off make-up? I just haven't found a regular make-up remover that my eyes like. Mascara in particular! I don't use water proof but it sure seems like it! I always end up w/ raccoon eyes! Surprisingly, the days I CO my hair, I thot - Why not? I used the CO to remove the make-up! Seemed to work pretty well. I figure eye lashes probably need help too! :o

I have a DermaSpa from the same people I got my puppy 'poo (Paw & Hoof Dreams) on Ebay. It's around $12. A waffle weave, supposedly the same one that "took Europe by storm"! I think it stinks on the eye make-up. It's suppose to be used with water only. Of course, after being here, I didn't factor in an adjustment period for skin - so maybe I'll have to it another try!:confused:

I don't think I would count on the Wonder Cloth to remove my mascara 100% mostly because I don't want to rub around my eyes that hard. I generally dissolve my eye make-up with a tiny bit of EVOO. Then I use the Wonder Cloth to remove the rest of my make-up along with any residual oil/mascara.