PDA

View Full Version : So here's the plan... (henna)

AutumnSky
February 2nd, 2009, 05:21 PM
I've actually been using henna for nearly !% years, but I've gotten so much more information since I've been here....it's amazing, and wonderful and overwhelming!

I've always done full-length treatments, with a focus on the roots...I'm sticking with that for now. I'm also sticking with the henna I've always used (Avigal, which I haven't seen anything about here, which concerns me a little, but I'm an instant gratification kind of girl, and it can be had locally.)

*Old Method: Mix henna with olive oil, and enough hot water to make a "pancake batter" paste. Add EO's at whim. Apply immediately to dry, unwashed hair, wrap in aluminum foil. Leave on for about an hour. Rinse the big clumps, then shampoo repeatedly to get the muck out.

*Gonna Try This Tomorrow: Mix henna before bed, with enough hot water to make pancake batter paste, ad EO's at whim. Let sit overnight for dye release. Apply to dry hair. Wrap in saran wrap, top with a wooly hat and leave at least 4 hours. Rinse, rinse, rinse, CO wash if neccessary, but no shampoo.

Sound about right? I've never been *un* happy with my old routine, but I'd like more depth out of my color. Olive oil yay or nay? I don't have any coconut oil at hand, but there is a can of coconut MILK in the pantry, would that be a worthwhile addition? Any suggestions for tweaking that I may have missed? Wet v. dry application confuses me....the paste is so gunky, I'd be afraid of incurring more breakage than is neccessary...am I being too precious about it?

Aisha25
February 2nd, 2009, 06:15 PM
Well it all depends what your hair likes my hair hates wet or damp applications but alot of poeple love applying damp so whatever you like:) I would say to leave out the oil and do just hot water till a little drippier than pancake batter and leave overnight then leave it on your hair for 4 to 6 hours this should make the henna be more deep on your hairs.

Velouria
February 2nd, 2009, 09:28 PM
I don't think it's a good idea to use hot water (or any hot liquid) if you're going to dye release overnight. Mixing with hot liquid causes very fast, often instant, dye release. As henna only dyes for a certain window of time, the faster you get release, the faster the dye loses strength and dies.

My understanding is that you shouldn't use liquid much hotter than lukewarm if you want to do the slow release thing. The slow release is said by many to release more dye in the long run, and keep releasing more onto your head throughout the process. I dunno if it really does, and am not myself going for maximum color.....but if I were, I wouldn't combine those 2 methods, but would go with one or the other. (hot liquid vs. sitting for release)

AutumnSky
February 2nd, 2009, 10:49 PM
AHA! See.. I knew there was a connection I was missing... that's why I wasn't taught to let it sit... that never made sense until now... thank you!

Autumnberry
February 2nd, 2009, 10:55 PM
I find that applying to damp hair is a lot easier and therefore more gentle to the hair. If you want to avoid drips, you could make the mix a tad thicker. I also think that hot water could cause the dye to release very fast, so it wouldn't be optical if you are dye releasing overnight. Lukewarm would be better. Happy Hennaing!

Debra83
February 2nd, 2009, 11:01 PM
Is that code for 15 years!!!????!!!!! :P

Isilme
February 3rd, 2009, 02:32 AM
only use water as any kind of oil will inhibit dye release. Just use water. If you think the mix is uneven take it trough the food processor or something like that;)

CestMadeleine
February 3rd, 2009, 04:34 AM
Has anyone tried a few drops of tea tree oil? I vaguely remember someone mentioning it makes henna brighter or release more dye. Maybe I'm wrong who knows lol.

What about lemon juice vs. warm water? Any difference?

Heidi_234
February 3rd, 2009, 08:27 AM
Has anyone tried a few drops of tea tree oil? I vaguely remember someone mentioning it makes henna brighter or release more dye. Maybe I'm wrong who knows lol.

What about lemon juice vs. warm water? Any difference?
I did. Then I read that henna tattoo artists use tea tree oil to darken they stain and I was like :scared:
But I used cheap henna then, can't say it made much of different, just a very overwhelmingly strong tea tree scent.

AutumnSky
February 3rd, 2009, 08:50 AM
Is that code for 15 years!!!????!!!!! :P

Shhhhhhhhh........ I don't know what you're talking about.
(I started in 1991, do your own math.)

Kirin
February 3rd, 2009, 10:07 AM
you can use a teaspoon of regular granulated sugar in the mix which will make it much smoother and easier to handle. I too would nix the hot water and the oil. Other than coconut oils, oil generally blocks or inhibits dye uptake, and the hot water could "kill" your henna die (release fast, die quick). I use lukewarm water or even better, cooled down chamomile tea.

If you like to apply it to dry hair (some prefer this) you can try mixing in 1/2 cup of cheap conditioner to the mix and it will work through much smoother. I've had no problem with dye uptake using cheap V05 conditioners (all varieties actually).

twilight
February 3rd, 2009, 11:24 AM
if you want the stain richer the best thing is lemon juice or ACV (as long as your hair won't mind it).

i typically add some EOs to my mix, but mostly for the nice smell--the sorts of EOs that "terp" the henna to make it stain dark on skin are both not good to wear on your head for hours and from what i understand they don't help it stain hair any darker. something about the way henna reacts to skin vs. hair. (eg: i have used the same henna mix for tattoos and hair dye, and while it may go super dark brown on my hands, it never stains my hair more than auburn.)

some people also use hibiscus tea instead of water both for its color-imparting abilities (blue tint=less orange) and because it contains acid (like lemon juice or ACV).

AutumnSky
February 3rd, 2009, 04:09 PM
Thanks guys! Ended up blowing it off for today (good thing I didn't mix last night after all...). Mom took a sick day, so we've been running around having a girl's day. For that, my roots can wait.

I have both hibiscus and chamomile, but since I'm not worried about the "orange factor" (I actually like it FLAMING) , I'll go with the chamomile.

Thanks for the oil tip, and sugar? Really? I'd never have come up with that!

So, cooled chamomile, a little ACV (I had a disaster with lemon juice once....never again), and no oil. Mix at 7am-ish, on by 10am-ish, out by 6pm-ish... sound about right-ish?

Girltron
February 3rd, 2009, 04:50 PM
a) you can use the coconut milk if you choose, it works fine for me. That will get you a little oil in the mix without affecting the stain

b) there's nothing wrong with using hot (not boiling) water no matter how long you're leaving it for dye release-as long as you don't leave it til it demises, but henna's famously hard to kill that way

c) Adding terpene-containing EO's like lavender and tea tree may increase the stain. It definitely does on skin. Thing is, mostly people don't need it on their hair. It stains pretty well without, and the EO's can cause sensitivity.

AutumnSky
February 4th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Wow... this may be the least traumatic henna treatment yet!

I brewed 2 bags of chamomile before bed, and left it to steep and cool overnight. I mixed my henna with that tea, a tiny splash of ACV, and a few drops of lemongrass EO (because it makes me happy), and NOTHING else.

I let it sit for 2 hours to release (next time, I'll use less liquid pre-release, then add the rest after). I got a smoother, more manageable paste than I have in the past, and it was MUCH easier to apply! Wrapped in Saran, a shower cap and a warm hat, left it for a little over 4 hours.

I just finished rinsing, and OH. MY. GOODNESS. I've never had such an easy rinse! No shampoo this time, instead, I CO'd with about half a bottle of V05.... I'm a convert!

I mixed up my usual 260g (2 containers), which would JUST do my whole head the old way..... I had almost HALF left over this time! Leftovers are in the freezer... I'll add it gradually to the next few mixes I think....

Thanks for all the advice & opinions..... I'll post pics as soon as it's dry!

Autumnberry
February 4th, 2009, 04:53 PM
[quote=AutumnSky;450113]Wow... this may be the least traumatic henna treatment yet!

I brewed 2 bags of chamomile before bed, and left it to steep and cool overnight. I mixed my henna with that tea, a tiny splash of ACV, and a few drops of lemongrass EO (because it makes me happy), and NOTHING else.

I let it sit for 2 hours to release (next time, I'll use less liquid pre-release, then add the rest after). I got a smoother, more manageable paste than I have in the past, and it was MUCH easier to apply! Wrapped in Saran, a shower cap and a warm hat, left it for a little over 4 hours.

You got dye release in 2 hours? For my last henna, I made a similar mix (with chamomile tea) and let it dye release for 10 hours (as usual). The yemeni BAQ is normally strong, but I got quite a weak stain. Perhaps some of the dye had demised. I have left overs, so I'm trying to figure out what went wrong and if the frozen leftovers are salvageable. Was there a strong stain on skin for you after 2 hours?

Girltron
February 4th, 2009, 05:47 PM
I often let my Yemeni dye release 12 hours or more. Never had any decrease in dye strength.

AutumnSky
February 5th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Okay, so patience is NOT my strong suit.... my paste was "orangier" that when mixed after 2 hours.... and I'm used to intantaneous release....next time, I'll probably mix before bed.

Here's the pics:
Before: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3118/3256168332_d29f7c090f.jpg And After: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3507/3256158134_249e1a0bf9_o.jpg

Hard to tell in these, but the color is deeper & "redder" than it was before ( I get brassy around the ends), and of course, roots.

Next time: BAQ, longer release, more acid.

Autumnberry
February 6th, 2009, 04:20 PM
You got a beautiful color--it is a very vibrant natural redhead color! My feeling about the dye release is that in warm weather, the indoor temperature is much warmer, and the dye releases more completely. In colder indoor temperature, a heat source may help.

And as far as the acidity, many on LHC have very low acidity in their mixes (like chamomille tea alone, or even just distilled water), and they have reported good dye release. I got good dye release with black tea, but it was quite drying to the scalp and hair. I'm going to keep mixing with chamomile tea and see if I can't get a strong henna color. It's time to harvest some test hair...

Debra83
February 8th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Okay, so patience is NOT my strong suit.... my paste was "orangier" that when mixed after 2 hours.... and I'm used to intantaneous release....next time, I'll probably mix before bed.

Here's the pics:
Before: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3118/3256168332_d29f7c090f.jpg And After: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3507/3256158134_249e1a0bf9_o.jpg

Hard to tell in these, but the color is deeper & "redder" than it was before ( I get brassy around the ends), and of course, roots.

Next time: BAQ, longer release, more acid.

It turned out very nice. Good job!