PDA

View Full Version : "Fauxhawk" advice?

AlleyKitten
March 8th, 2008, 03:44 PM
My boyfriend has started thinking about doing a fake-mohawk or tri-hawk look at some point in the future (he has this roleplaying character he wants to look like). The problem is, his hair is APL/BSL, and he'd rather not fill it with something that will trash it. He does have fairly indestructible hair (it survived more than a year of monthly bleaching, and is amazingly silky no matter what he uses on it, even this 2-in-1 sls and cones junk), but we'd rather not press our luck.

So, does anyone have any suggestions for something to spike hair up pretty high and solidly without making it nasty or being impossible to get out? Also, any tips on making a tri-hawk look good without actually shaving any parts of your head?

Thanks!

bubchoo
March 9th, 2008, 07:32 AM
If you're not veggie, you could try gelatin - sticks like crazy but doesn't damage hair as far as I know. The only thing is it does require a lot of blowdrying to set. I'm not sure what else you could use to successfully spike up bsl hair.
For the sides of the fauxhawk, I'd suggest cornrowing from the outside of the scalp like in these pics
http://www.extra-muffins.com/hair/viewtopic.php?t=3584

Liluri
March 16th, 2008, 02:50 AM
I think that sugar syrup is what people used to use before hair spray and I don't think it would hurt hair.

tiny_teesha
March 20th, 2008, 07:43 AM
orange juice in water is sticky...also acidic....
i think putting a lot of glycerin in hair would draw moisture out of it...
maybe aloe vera?

Iylivarae
March 20th, 2008, 09:31 AM
I used gelatine on my hair some years ago, I was able to build vertical towers of hair on my head and it held and held and held... amazing! It was also quite easy to remove.

enfys
March 20th, 2008, 09:51 AM
I've definitely heard of sugar syrup being used on hair. Mind you, that's a lot of spiking to ask it to do.

There are goth forums with advice about doing this, but none spring to mind right now! maybe googling "goth" along with liberty spikes or something could come up with a few tips?

Mrs_Zombie
March 20th, 2008, 06:06 PM
i've heard egg whites will do the trick. sticky and won't leave his hair in any worse shape.

MadPirateBippy
March 21st, 2008, 01:05 PM
My punky friends used to do elmers glue. From what I recall, to get it out the best thing to do was go swimming in the apartment pool or just lounge with your head in a bathtub until the glue gets soft, then wash a couple of times.

I have no idea if this is damaging, but it does tend to work best on people with lighter colored hair.

Kirin
March 21st, 2008, 05:33 PM
Knox unflafored gelatin, thats what my mohawk friend used in the 80's. She also used ivory soap rubbed on damp hair and blown dry held up.

HairColoredHair
March 21st, 2008, 06:32 PM
My roommate once did a bunch of ponytails down the middle of her head and spiked them all straight up...

I think she used hair cement... not certain... but egg whites might work. Holding up that much hair is work, though.

Teacherbear
March 21st, 2008, 09:43 PM
My niece put my hair in a series of pony tails from brow to nape, down midline. Others have given you great ideas for stiffening the hair, but this might be one way to gather the hair together.

angelthadiva
April 19th, 2008, 08:35 AM
This might give you some inspiration (http://www.bestshowticketslasvegas.com/blog/UserFiles/Image/sanj.jpg)

If that won't work, you might want to try using a banana clip in DBF's hair color (so it will blend)...The thought of putting stuff in your hair, that you don't know for sure how it will come out, makes me cringe for him! :(

Good luck,

jessie58
April 19th, 2008, 09:06 AM
DD's BF often makes 12 inch spikes in his hair. He uses a whole bottle of white school glue to do his. It washes out with baking soda and shampoo (liberal amounts)

He's never had any trouble making it stay up or washing it out.
Mind you he has the sides shaved. Not so sure how it would work with a fauxhawk.

As suggested though, making a row of ponytails down the middle of the hair with elastics sounds like a good idea, then spike them all with the glue and see if that works.