PDA

View Full Version : Confidence boost, rejoice in your hair type!!!

Dreamernz
February 2nd, 2009, 10:11 AM
I think that it is a common known fact that most people wish for another hair type while someone else is jealous of theirs. I think it's high time we REJOICED in OUR OWN hair type!!!! This is open to everyone and anyone, whatever your hair type, to make it easier for all of us to accept and rejoice in our own hair type boosting our own self confidence and in turn that of others. So that if you feel down about your hair, wishing for someone else's, you can come here and think of all the positives, giving yourself and others a well deserved boost, so you could feel lucky to have your own :D (smiles contentedly with end of pep. talk).
Right so I'll begin, I have straight, brown hair, I used to yearn for curly, thick either black, red or blonde hair but I now see the many positives in my hair and feel lucky for it.

My hair isn't coarse so tends to be softer and sleeker.
My hair has a higher shine capacity
It is easy to handle and look after and it is easy to make it curly or wavy without the use of heat and therefore damage to the hair.
It is easier to see new growth and this is motivational.
It is easy to "put away" my hair in a sleek hair do when it does easily become static and greasy.
My hair colour is a good medium, it is dark enough for my liking and light enough to compliment my eyes and skin tone, while still retaining pretty red and gold highlights of colour in the sun :D:D:DSorry if there is another thread like this, but anyway come on guys, please post in your positive comments!!!:D:D:D:D

Michou
February 2nd, 2009, 10:59 AM
I have very dark (well, now it is salt & pepper) somewhat wavy hair. I've always wanted curlier hair, and sometimes I've wanted redder hair.

Here's what I like about my hair:
- It is quite resilient and looks healthy
- I like the grays, they sparkle
- When it gets longer is makes a nice thick braid

xkitxgirx
February 2nd, 2009, 11:07 AM
I've considered dying my hair a more auburn color for year now. Basically ever since it was pixi short, after I had dyed it black. Now I haven't dyed my hair since it was that short. I also sometimes wish my hair were either totally straight or a little bit more wavy. It's extremely wavy under neath with a light almost straight wave laying over, and that has always buggedme because it makes my hair look more frizzy and poofy. Which is why I usually straighten my hair. But I still love my hair:

-it's thick, and I don't have to work to keep it thick
-anyone who works on my hair always tells me to never cut it because its so thick and easy to work with
-I nearly considered cutting my hair short again, and this place stopped me. I'm glad, because I've learned to really love it long and my husband didn't want me to cut it, lol.
-I have natural streaks through out my hair that most people would have to get put in. She are brightest in the summer. My hair turns very light spring to summer, and has almost a red tint to it in the winter.
-I love how versatile it is. I can do just about anything with it, and it will look good. I espoecially like the fact that it hold curls easily so I don't damage my hair as much as I would if it didn't hold curls.

Dreamernz
February 2nd, 2009, 11:22 AM
Thanks guys for your comments, keep the positive comments coming :D:D:D

noelgirl
February 2nd, 2009, 11:33 AM
I used to wish my hair was either straighter or curlier, but now I like that it's in between - I can go either way without much damage. And even though I love red hair and sometimes I wish I had it, my natural dark brown is the most flattering to my features, and I get compliments on the color all the time.

Coriander
February 2nd, 2009, 11:38 AM
Dreamernz, you are my hair twin so I second everything you said :)

I used to want blonde, curly thick hair like my younger sister had - now I'm thrilled with mine (Just wish it were longer, but who doesn't! :p)

I love my color - after years of off-and-on coloring, I finally attempted to dye it back to its natural color. It's not exactly right, but it's very "me" and I like it!

It's exceptionally smooth and sleek and slippery after a deep treatment, and I love it when my BF can't get enough of touching it.

I was very excited the first time I had to pull my hair out of the waistband of my jeans :D

I love that my hair is not so thick that it gives me a headache when I have it in an updo for a long time.

Wonderful thread, thank you for starting it :)

LovingLife
February 2nd, 2009, 12:40 PM
I have curly hair that is brushing the shoulders,
*It's shiny
*Healthy
* and I have nice fast growing genes!

LovingLife
February 2nd, 2009, 12:41 PM
oh and how do you do the hairstyle you have? super pretty!

LutraLutra
February 2nd, 2009, 12:48 PM
What a great thread. When I was younger I wanted my hair to be 1A, then I wanted my hair to be 3A. I wanted black hair, then red hair then blonde. However -

- my hair naturally so full different colours (including silvers) that it's hard for me to find two identical strands. In different lights and from different angles I can be a red head, a brunette, or strawberry blonde.

- my hair is so fine and smooth that it sometimes feels like a little cloud of silk.

- my hair looks different each time I take a monthly photo, it's nearing my shoulders and I'm really proud of the change in its condition

- my hair refuses to be controlled by me, and I like that attitude.

KarenLynn
February 2nd, 2009, 01:10 PM
I love my hair color. It's the one frequently seen in Scandinavians who were blond as kids, a light brownish color with some golden highlights.

I also like that it's soft and usually shiny.

maunaloa
February 2nd, 2009, 01:13 PM
Hmmm...
Even though my hair is coarse, it is black and shiny and very strong. My hair grows pretty fast - at least an inch per month.

LovingLife
February 2nd, 2009, 01:13 PM
does anyone know how to do that one in Dreamernz pic. It looks really nice.

Thankz!

Darkhorse1
February 2nd, 2009, 01:51 PM
What a lovely post!!

I love the color of my hair, and it's overall health. I"m lucky to have a lot of it, and am greedy because I want more, but I'm glad I have what I've got :D

Dreamernz
February 2nd, 2009, 02:01 PM
Thanks guys for all your comments, keep up the good work! Lovinglife, did you mean the one in my siggy? That's quite simple really, it's a sort of loose, horizontal french braid that starts on one side of the head, goes behind (on the back of) it, before being finished off on the other side of the head and secured in place with a claw clip :D I've had quite a few people ask me about that actually so I may do an article on it with full instructions. Any questions just feel free to message me :D

~*BeautyWitch*~
February 2nd, 2009, 05:16 PM
Nice thread: This is a good change from me always saying negative things about my hair :)

My hair is coarse, thick and pretty strong. I have kinky curly texture that clumps a lot but is frizzy without products.

* I LOVE the versatility of my hair

* I can put a style in and it will last for a month or 2 even if I co-wash every other day to everyday.

*I love that I can wear anything form a fro to straight and anything in-between

*I'm learning to appreciate the shrinkage (esp. in summer)

* I like that the few times that I do straighten a year my hair never fails to surprise me with the length.

lora410
February 2nd, 2009, 05:55 PM
I used to wish my hair was stick straight but Now I love how it has its own personality. Some days it will wave like crazy and some days be a straighty wannabe :D

flapjack
February 2nd, 2009, 06:39 PM
I'm doing this today because it was windy and my hair drove me nuts all morning. It is currently in a state of floppage on my chair, recovering from the wind. Sigh!

-shiny shiny shiny! I will never have a dull moment.
-reasonably thick, but doesn't take over the rest of me, which is good because I'm puny.
-perfectly straight, right out of bed, the shower, whenever. No need for styling. And when I want it wavy or curly, it stays easily.
-tough. I've been attempting s&d for over a year and I've only found 4 split ends so far and they were teeny tiny.
-tons of different colors from strand to strand and multiple colors on one strand a lot of the time. it's fun and keeps things interesting with tons of pretty gold and red colors.
-rarely ever tangles (thankfully, because I am not good at dealing with tangles)

Ok, I feel a bit better now, haha. :p

JamieLeigh
February 2nd, 2009, 06:44 PM
I used to have such LOOOOOOOONG thick hair when I was younger, but after 5 kids and health problems, it's really fine. I've been lamenting for thicker hair again lately...so sounds good; I'm in! :D

~I have no trouble whatsoever with tangles.
~I love the reddish tint I get outdoors in the sunshine
~I have found a hair care routine that works wonders with what I've been blessed with
~I can trim myself without having to bring it all around to the front, even at near-thigh length
~All of my hair can fit up under a ball cap
~I am complimented nearly every time I wear it loose in public

RavennaNight
February 2nd, 2009, 06:50 PM
I used to want pinstraight hair.

But I am a wavy!

1.It has body.
2.It doesnt go flat only after 3 days unwashed.
3. It looks a bit different everyday.
4.The color and strength of hennindigo is wonderful!

Tangles
February 2nd, 2009, 07:36 PM
I range from a 1b to a 2c/3a and that's without use of heat.

Curlsgirl
February 2nd, 2009, 08:57 PM
This is really hard today because I am sort of down but maybe it will help!

I love that I can just wash and let it dry without styling or anything except the bangs a bit.

I love the curl and the thickness.

I love that I can just get up in the morning and not do anything to it and just go and have the "beachy" hair that everybody wants.

I love that it's very resiliant and can take a lot and still look healthy.

I love that I can go straight if I want to fairly easily and when I do it lasts until I wash again.

Calanthe
February 2nd, 2009, 10:34 PM
This is a nice thread...

I always wanted mum's hair: very thick, lots of it, grows super-fast, the wonderful wave-curl. I wanted black hair, red hair, white hair...

So why is my actual hair type fantastic?

No tangles. Ever.
No need for hair straighteners.
If I want to curl my bangs, I just have to wrap them round my fingers for a few times.
It's so soft.
It's like a mirror, so shiny.
I'll never have to worry that a hairstick might be too short or a barrette too small.

AnimaSola3o4
February 2nd, 2009, 10:49 PM
I used to wish I had straight hair, but mostly that was when i didn't know how to care for curls. Now I kinda wish I had curlier hair!

-I love my hair color, always have, always will. I'm a very proud natural redhead.
-I love my curls.
-My hair is shiny.
-I love that I can go like 2 or 3 weeks in between washing my hair and it doesn't really look greasy.
-I love my hair in the sunlight, I have strands that are literally golden. I've never mentioned that before because I never want to seem like I'm gloating or too prideful. I remember sitting in my mom's car as a kid and examining my hair and saying 'mom, my hair has gold in it!' and she smiled and said 'I know.'
-Other than the strange patch in the back, my hair is very soft.
-My hair is TOUGH, and strong. It definitely puts up a fight, and would have to be absolutely fried to look damaged.
-Sarah Jessica Parker from SATC made me love my 'in between' hair. It's wavy, not curly and not straight. I have her to thank for making me okay with that.

That's all I can think of right now...

goldenwaves
February 2nd, 2009, 11:02 PM
I like:

-The length (waist when straight)
-The colour because my natural blonde is quite rare at my age and older and people dye it my colour!!
-The curls and waves
-The way it holds well in styles and doesn't slip out after 2 seconds!
-The way it adapts easily to the way I style it, such as with braid waves, bun curls etc.
-My new fringe I cut
:):)

Debra83
February 2nd, 2009, 11:11 PM
hmmmmmm....

....let's see...

1) I like my natural part.

2) I like my natural waves

3) I like that my sparkly grays becomes sparkly orange/red when I henna

4) I like that my natural brown color is still here

5) I like that my hair seems to grow fast without having to be pregnant after all!!!

6) I like that I found this site so that I like my hair!!!!

MotherConfessor
February 2nd, 2009, 11:51 PM
I used to waiver between wanted royal red hair or my mothers beautiful wavy black hair. And thicker, I definitely wanted it thicker. Nowadays I'm really trying to embrace the looks I have and I love

That my hair feels so soft
The shine I see in photos
The cool updos that I can do with it
Watching people go wide eyed when I take my hair down
The wild way that it curls, db call me an amazon princess

Juneii
February 3rd, 2009, 12:32 AM
fun!
okay, so what I want is curly blond hair - or even red

what I have is straight dark hair
positives:
-it doesn't tangle that much
-I get about an inch of growth every month
-it doesn't damage very easily when it's virgin hair
-it's soft
-it's shiny

lizzyjo
February 3rd, 2009, 01:26 AM
It's blonde!
It's smooth and straight.
I don't have any cowlicks.
It doesn't tangle easily.

Toadstool
February 3rd, 2009, 02:12 AM
It's naturally thick and strong and it takes a lot to damage it.
It's naturally very dark brown, now with grey highlights.
when it gets longer the waves are beautiful.

Katze
February 3rd, 2009, 02:44 AM
What a great thread!

I spent most of my teens trying to get back the hair I'd had as a kid, blonde and stick straight. It was only after coming here that I learned I had WAVES!

What I like about my hair:

1) I like its natural color. It changes dramatically from dark golden blonde to ash brown, and has golden as well as silver highlights. After 15+ years of dye and bleach, I am really happy about my own chameleon color!

2) I like my waves. I can make my hair much wavier with very little effort, or I can comb or blowdry it straight. It is easier, though, to go wavy than it is to go straight.

3) It's so thick at the crown now that my scalp doesn't show through, and I get wonderful volume on all but the dirtiest days. :D

LovingLife
February 3rd, 2009, 03:11 AM
Thanks guys for all your comments, keep up the good work! Lovinglife, did you mean the one in my siggy? That's quite simple really, it's a sort of loose, horizontal french braid that starts on one side of the head, goes behind (on the back of) it, before being finished off on the other side of the head and secured in place with a claw clip :D I've had quite a few people ask me about that actually so I may do an article on it with full instructions. Any questions just feel free to message me :D

ThI am not very good with hair yet so an article would be a HUGE! help :)

CatToy
February 3rd, 2009, 03:27 AM
I like my hair because it is naturally curly! Even as short as it is now (neck length in back, layered all over... sigh) the curl makes it wash and wear. It becomes more wavy as it gets longer.

Cat

Dreamernz
February 3rd, 2009, 05:41 AM
Brilliant guys! I think that, as with anything in life, once you stop for a moment and stop complaining about the negatives, there is an abundance of positives to be found that you don't really notice until you stop to think about it. In that way I think it's a good exercise and not only makes you feel better about your hair, but those who read your comments, having a similiar hairtype, can think wow, I never would've thought of that, maybe I'm actually quite lucky to have my hair type! :D:D:D

carloota
February 3rd, 2009, 07:33 AM
Dreamernz, thank you so much for starting this thread. I was looking at my hair this morning and thinking: "hmmm, what to do with this hair?", but wait! I don't have to do a thing to it because the curls and wurls are going to do what they want anyway. LOL So that's one of the things I love about my hair.

2. I can wear it wavy or curly depending on how long I stretch washes.

3. With my hair color, thickness, and curl pattern, inch by inch my hair is growing up (or down?) to be old-school bollywood hair, which is my goal BTW. :cheer:

peachrose
February 3rd, 2009, 08:07 AM
I love my hair-type (2c/3a with 1b canopy) because:
-It is resiliant to damage
-It is extremely thick with very little tapering
-My natural colour is med/dark brown in winter and more reddish in the summer
-It seems to flourish with all the TLC I give it becoming way softer and shinier than I ever thought it could

vamq
February 3rd, 2009, 09:42 AM
I like this thread, but I've been a bit down about my hair lately, so I'll see what I can think of..
Maybe it helps.

I always wanted very thick, darkbrown wavy hair. I have in between thickness hair with it's own mind when it comes to texture, and an undefined color..

*I like it that my hair doesn't takes really really long to dry, because now I can wash my hair early in the morning if I want to
*I can make buns and wear them all day without getting a real headache (but I'm having that more lately...)
*I like the way people never know how to define my haircolor. It's not blonde, it's not brown, and it's not red either.
*I like the days I have wavy hair because it has more body and volume, and I can wear it down without feeling insecure about the thickness.
*I like the days I have straight hair without frizz, because I can make it look very shiny with the right products when it's straight
*My hair is growing a bit faster since I'm on LHC, specially during summer it grows like weed:D

Hmmyeah...thatdid help a bit actually..

~GypsyCurls~
February 3rd, 2009, 10:02 AM
I love my curl! Yes, sometimes they have a mind of their own but I think they fit my personality. I do prefer my curls and don't wish for straight hair. That looks good on me too, but the curls are just more "me" and I don't need to "style" them to have them look pretty. The only time I wanted straight hair was when I was little because my mom did not know how to treat my hair. She brushed it and put it in two braids, which was blach...cute when you're young but I wanted to wear my hair "down" and never got to!

I think one of the reasons people don't like their curls is because they treat it like straight hair and don't realize there is a whole other way to take care of it. Plus, there is so much curl-bashing in the media! Some people view it as a problem that needs to be "fixed" by straightening.

I love straight and wavy hair too, and I think I'd be happy with either one of them too. it's just another aspect of accepting your self for who you are and being comfortable in your own skin.

My hair color though...that's another story :D I have been dyeing it since the age of 14, since I have always loved red hair. I've also had black, purple, and highlights of magenta, green, pink, blue and turquoise over the years. I actually wish I liked my natural color, since it would be healthier if I didn't dye. It's a fair trade-off though

~*BeautyWitch*~
February 3rd, 2009, 10:32 AM
I like this thread, but I've been a bit down about my hair lately, so I'll see what I can think of..
Maybe it helps.

I always wanted very thick, darkbrown wavy hair. I have in between thickness hair with it's own mind when it comes to texture, and an undefined color..

*I like it that my hair doesn't takes really really long to dry, because now I can wash my hair early in the morning if I want to
*I can make buns and wear them all day without getting a real headache (but I'm having that more lately...)
*I like the way people never know how to define my haircolor. It's not blonde, it's not brown, and it's not red either.
*I like the days I have wavy hair because it has more body and volume, and I can wear it down without feeling insecure about the thickness.
*I like the days I have straight hair without frizz, because I can make it look very shiny with the right products when it's straight
*My hair is growing a bit faster since I'm on LHC, specially during summer it grows like weed:D

Hmmyeah...thatdid help a bit actually..That's funny, before I even read that I was looking at your avatar pic trying to figure out the colour lol, Beautiful and very unique!

catfish
February 3rd, 2009, 11:02 AM
Awesome idea for a thread:D

I really, really wanted light blonde curly hair growing up.:o Still kinda do.

My natural hair is wavy and very multicolored.
*I love how lightweight my hair is, even at just below waist, I can put my hair up in a cinna bun, tuck in the ends and my bun will stay for hours without a hair fork/stick:D
*I love that my hair changes color with the seasons. In winter it is ash brown-chestnut and in summer it is cool ash brown - warm dark blonde. I often get compliments on the blonde highlights and people are surprised to hear they are natural;)
*I love how wild my hair looks. :silly: Waves make for a new style everyday, extra wurly in the humid summers, and almost straight in the freezing winters. Never boring.

To being who we are and loving it to boot:rockerdud

janeytilllie
February 7th, 2009, 10:01 AM
I use to really want blonde hair or black hair. I also wanted very straight hair. My is darkish brown with natural golden highlights it is also wavy with layers.

Things I like about my hair type.

* I do like my wave pattern
* I like how my hair is soft
* I like my length, which my longest layer reaches tailbone :D :cheese:
* My hair is very thick and the layers keep it under control

Thank you for such a great thread :D

Honey39
February 7th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Okay, my favourite hair type is very fine, sleek hair without too much volume. I don't have that...

What do I love about my own hair?

It's thick - there is a *lot* of hair going on
It's reliable - now I've learned how to care for it, I don't think I've had a bad hair day, and most days my hair looks really good
I have ringlets - my natural hair is basically ringlets, and I have learned great and very quick ways to have astonishing ringlets every day! I like that it's quite unusual
Now I've stopped blow-drying and straightening, my hair is happy and seems resilient to the highlights

Nice thread!:flower:

LittleOrca
February 7th, 2009, 01:06 PM
I can't imagine how often I have wished I had different hair. I wanted it longer and more wavy, but part of me knows that will come in time! So I am going to celebrate what I like about my hair:

-It's very shiny and soft
-It's longer than anyone in my family!
-It has gorgeous waves when
-It looks great underwater when flowing
-It adds a fairy-tale look when I am performing on my harp.
-I look as I feel: a landlocked mermaid.
-It gets a lot of attention [Those loud whispers that people think I can't hear "omigosh, look at her hair..." lol]
-I can do a lot of styles with it I couldn't in the past.

Elbereth
February 7th, 2009, 01:35 PM
What a lovely, positive thread!

I am 1bFii, blonde, 32.5"/82cm, which takes me halfway between waist and tailbone

1)color. My hair is medium blonde and depending on light it can look anything from Galadriel to Goldilocks. I have never had a serious temptation to color my hair- its natural color is lovely and rather uncommon
2)shine. My hair is very shiny
3) softness. It is also very silky and soft to touch.
4) length. Oh yes, length is one of the best things about my hair, and it only keeps getting better!:D
5)lightness. Updos never feel too heavy for me. Because my hair is fairly thin, I also manage to do many styles earlier than those with very thick hair
6)it has body wave so it never hangs limp but rather looks like there is more of it than there actually is

Copasetic
February 7th, 2009, 05:44 PM
- my hair ALWAYS has volume
- the crazy mix of colours that used to bug me is now my favourite things about it. it's one of a kind.

krt1013
February 7th, 2009, 05:55 PM
This is certainly a good idea:

- My hair grows in with all kinds of colors, including ash blonde, red, and light to medium brown.

- The color is very unexpected on someone with eyes as dark brown as mine and looks much better untouched than colored, even though my eyebrows are are the color of charcoal (with red-blond tips, lol)

- My hair is much thicker than most blondes, but not as coarse as curlies because it only has a slight wave.

- It can be very shiny if I treat it nicely :)

KaeleyAnne
February 7th, 2009, 07:55 PM
I always wanted curly, red hair - I always ate the crusts of my sandwiches because my mother told me that it would make my hair curly!

Now, I love my hair because . . .
. . . it has great waves
. . . it's an awesome, chameleon color that people with dark hair call brown and that people with light hair call blond, and my hair even has some red highlights in it
. . . I've never cut my hair above waist (and at most have only cut about three inches off of it at a time)
. . . although my hair never seemed to grow longer than hip when I was younger, now it's mid-bottom length and may still be growing
. . . it's thick enough that I don't think I'll ever have to worry about it thinning
. . . it's coarse enough to make hair styles relatively easy to do because my hair holds itself together rather than being slippery

rags
February 7th, 2009, 08:30 PM
This is actually hard for me to do! I want so badly to have different hair......
Let's see......

My hair is shiny
It's very, very soft and silky
I like the natural highlights my grays give me
Even when it was long before, updos never pull - my hair is too light
It dries very quickly

rapunzhell13
February 7th, 2009, 09:06 PM
I like that my hair is naturally wavy

I like that my hair is naturally dark

I like that my hair is naturally full-bodied

I like that my hair easily holds up-dos

I like that my hair is soft, yet also strong

Feline
February 7th, 2009, 10:05 PM
I like the natural color of my hair, or I should say, colors, because it has several different shades and goes lighter in the summer. I also have only a small amount of gray, at least so far, and everyone else I know about my age has to dye to cover it up!

I like the natural wave.

I like being able to air dry and do trims myself or with assistance from DH (he's very good!) rather than constantly running to the salon.

I just like it long! :D

Beloved
February 8th, 2009, 02:03 AM
my hair is so fine and smooth that it sometimes feels like a little cloud of silk.

omg, I love this imagery!

going gray
February 8th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Wonderful thread, Been feeling terrible lately about all the complaining I've been doing about my 2aCii/iii hair. You know what I'm grateful, thankful that's it's growing & in basically good health. We always want what we don't have! This thread was an eye opener for me, thanks.