PDA

View Full Version : Less Slip, More Grab Please

LaurelSpring
February 2nd, 2009, 07:34 AM
I have fine hair. Its relatively thick as there are many of the fine hairs it seems, but right after a wash particularly I cant get a darn thing to hold in my hair. Yesterday I tried and tried to get a hair fork to stay it just wouldnt!

I need some conditioner to get the tangles out. I have also tried no conditioner and a lightly oiled misting but there is still too much slip to hold things.

I thought about upping Cassia applications to once a week since that seems to give me some thinkness and grab or I may have to resort to setting it every night.

Others who have this problem...what do you suggest?

Queenie
February 2nd, 2009, 07:37 AM
It helps a lot to keep my hair slightly damp when putting it up. Although often when I take it down it'll be even more smooth and slippery!
Trying not to fight it but to work with it....

rosie91
February 2nd, 2009, 07:39 AM
wait until it is a bit oily before you put it up? my hair is like this too, it likes to slide and slip about

lapushka
February 2nd, 2009, 07:40 AM
I would suggest hairspray to make it a bit dryer, but... I know, it's hairspray.

Tabitha
February 2nd, 2009, 07:47 AM
If you use cones, maybe try going coneless. My hair is on the fine side and cones make it impossible for me to keep an updo in my hair even several days after washing. I do find that updos are easier a couple of days after washing, whatever conditioner I use. My best bet for getting a style to hold is a 4-prong wooden fork - more prongs seem to equal more grip.

LaurelSpring
February 2nd, 2009, 08:17 AM
I just found this on the H4H site. I think I may order some to see if it helps. I wonder if anyone else has tried it?

Zizyphus Spina Christi is ideal for:

people who have light colored hair and would like the conditioning of henna, but with no color change
people who can't use any soap or detergent to wash their hair.
people who have fine, limp hair and would like more thickness and texture
people whose hair needs extra protection from water, sun and dustI may do a little experimenting....:eyebrows:

Janka
February 2nd, 2009, 08:53 AM
No, I did not try the zizyphus thing.

I know that my hair is very slippery... so I usually don't try to use a stick right after washing, I just do another style. The hair sticks hold better on the non-wash days. If I need a style to hold (fancy updo for a ball or wedding and such), I use a styling mousse and fix the whole style with hair spray. I don't do this daily, so I don't think it's a big issue for my hair.
Bunning slightly damp hair as other suggested works fine - my cinnabun is even neater and my layers don't show as much. I use little claws or hair scroos instead of sticks on freshly washed hair. I love the hair scroos, they hold rather fine and slippery hair very well. I'm thinking about getting another pair so I can play with other styles. The scroos were rather expensive here in Austria (5,90€), but I love them. They're definitely worth it for me.
I also need conditioners in order to detangle, so I actually add slip to my hair. I just accept it and wear my hair in a style that works for slippery freshly washed hair. Period. I can still wear the stick the next day, or use a bit mousse if I _need_ to wear a stick ;)

MemSahib
February 2nd, 2009, 11:34 AM
Is your hair only 15 inches long like you have in your profile up there, as well as being fine and slippery? If so, no wonder you can't put it up. It takes most of us fine-haired, slippery-haired types an extra year of growth to be able to do the same styles as many other people.

LaurelSpring
February 2nd, 2009, 12:01 PM
Is your hair only 15 inches long like you have in your profile up there, as well as being fine and slippery? If so, no wonder you can't put it up. It takes most of us fine-haired, slippery-haired types an extra year of growth to be able to do the same styles as many other people.

I started here at 15 but now I am about an inch or so past BSL. I havent used cones for awhile because they really did make my hair slippery and flat. I love it when I can get some fullness and some texture to my hair so it really grabs and holds.

MemSahib
February 2nd, 2009, 01:59 PM
At BSL I could not use sticks and I couldn't even get a plain bun to stay in without a net over it. It was far too slippery and just not quite long enough to do those things then. I did use a French twist and a Gibson Tuck fairly frequently at that length, neither of which I have been able to do for several years since my hair got too long for them. If you don't already know how, this BSL a great time to learn French or Dutch braiding since there is not so much length to tangle as there will be later.

Those who continue to longer lengths nearly all say the same thing: there are certain styles and tools which work great once you get past shoulders and just begin putting your hair up a lot, but you typically outgrow those styles and into others. It's just the nature of the beast.

I do sympathize/emphathize with the slipperyness; yup, I'm in there with you.

kwaniesiam
February 2nd, 2009, 02:11 PM
When your hair is wet, rub a blob of aloe gel between your palms and run it down the length. I find that when the gel dries in to my hair, it makes it stick to itself better and I can put my hair up no problem. I'm one of the ultra fine, slippery hair types too and so far this has always done the trick :) If thats not enough, add a bit more after it dries or put your hair up when still slightly damp.

Anje
February 2nd, 2009, 03:25 PM
Like Tabitha said, if you want less slip, you should definitely go cone-less if you haven't already. Also, experiment with aloe gel (makes my hair tangle, though) and with different washing methods. Shampoo and conditioner gives me the most slip, CO a little less, and CV bars and WO give me enough grab that my hair will hold a style even the day I washed it.

I would suspect that cassia and zizyphus might give you more slip, not less.

LadyLongLocks
February 2nd, 2009, 03:33 PM
I would say, if you are making a bun to put your hair in a tight ponytail first. This anchors the bun to avoid slipping. I need to do this sometimes,but usually when my hair is more oily. I need to use the small claw clips, because they are one of the only things I can trust to hold my heavy hair securely.My hair has a lot of slip. Sometimes I mist my hair with water to get rid of some of the slip.

spidermom
February 2nd, 2009, 03:37 PM
Oh yes; I have struggled with this one extensively. At my current length I have a bun that works almost every single time. Before I discovered it, I would re-do my hair umpteen-dozen times a day.

chrissy-b
February 2nd, 2009, 03:50 PM
I'll vote for the cone-free, too. Also, using a little aloe or shea butter really helps my hair hold. Misting my hair lightly before the updo helps as does letting your hair get dirty. On clean hair, there is very little I can do without using hairspray or some other commercial paste product (KMS Paste, actually), but day 2 and 3 I can put my hair up without any product.

JamieLeigh
February 2nd, 2009, 04:16 PM
When your hair is wet, rub a blob of aloe gel between your palms and run it down the length. I find that when the gel dries in to my hair, it makes it stick to itself better and I can put my hair up no problem. I'm one of the ultra fine, slippery hair types too and so far this has always done the trick :) If thats not enough, add a bit more after it dries or put your hair up when still slightly damp.

I'm glad I read on through, because this is what I was going to suggest. LOL. Mine is too long now for some of the styles that I could do before it hit waist length, but aloe gel does work well for me. Plus, having such fine hair, I usually have a few fly-aways when I put it up...but using the gel eliminates that problem also. :)

Autumn
February 2nd, 2009, 04:44 PM
My hair is very fine and slippery, and currently, a little longer than bsl. Instead of putting anything in my hair to decrease the slip, I have just found a hair toy that works despite it. I've tried lots of different hair toys, looking for one that holds my hair firmly enough that I can jog, but that is also comfortable all day. My current favorite is either three or four France Luxe Laurance Gallery Pinch Clips (http://www.franceluxe.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FL&Product_Code=5068Q&Category_Code=JawsCascades). I use three for a tighter updo (a bun-type thing, I don't have any pics of it on here) and four for a messier, dressier updo. These clips are expensive, but they come in lots of pretty colors, and more importantly, they hold fine hair securely.

kdaniels8811
February 2nd, 2009, 04:47 PM
I found by accident that pulling my hair into a ponytail before bunning helps to hold it much better, otherwise I was redoing the bun every couple hours because it would fall out of the sticks. Got to love fine, thin hair...

Pegasus Marsters
February 2nd, 2009, 05:16 PM
That's because you washed it.

I can't do a damn thing with freshly washed hair. It takes a few days to be able to style it easily.

Angellen
February 2nd, 2009, 05:18 PM
If no-cone doesn't work, you could try shampoo bars. I have quite slippery M hair, and going cone-free didn't help me that much in regards to slip. But CV 'poo bars sure did! My styles would hold for hours and hours. I've gone back to no-cone CO, because 'poo bars are simply not practical for me right now, but they did make my hair noticeably less slippery.

Jeni
February 2nd, 2009, 05:52 PM
I have the same problem with up dos, my hair usually just slithers out of them. I have to wash every day so I'm always dealing with fresh hair and my hair loves cones so that's out too. I definitely agree that misting helps a lot.

I think what you use to keep the hair do in place helps a lot. I love sticks but they don't work for me. Hair forks are a god send. I can get a cinnamon bun, figure 8, and a wrap bun to stay much longer with a fork (an hour tops with a stick, if I don't move a lot). The plastic "tortoiseshell" hair pins you can find at walmart/cvs/etc are great for fine hair too.

Even with misting and the right hair toys I still usually have to redo the style at least once during the day and it usually starts to droop down the back of my neck after an hour.

Avalonna
February 2nd, 2009, 05:59 PM
The plastic "tortoiseshell" hair pins you can find at walmart/cvs/etc are great for fine hair too.

Do you know a brand name for these? I have slippery hair too, and need something to tuck all the loose ends in with. I've been thinking about making a trip to Wal-Mart (45 minute drive) just to look for hair toys because Rite-Aid has such a lousy selection.

Jeni
February 2nd, 2009, 06:23 PM
Do you know a brand name for these? I have slippery hair too, and need something to tuck all the loose ends in with. I've been thinking about making a trip to Wal-Mart (45 minute drive) just to look for hair toys because Rite-Aid has such a lousy selection.

http://www.walgreens.com/beauty/product.jsp?CATID=100838&navAction=jump&navCount=0&id=prod2499462 these are the ones I use. I use to be able to get them at Walmart but I haven't seen them there in months, just found them at Walgreens so you might want to look there. Good Hair Days also sells these type of pins, apparently in clear and black too.

http://www.goodhairdays.com/plastic-bulk-hairpins-chignon-pins.htm

I can get my hair to stay rather well with 2 of these and some regular U shaped hair pins to keep the ends tucked in.

I should add that you might need to file some of the rough edges/area where they pour the plastic into the mold, down, it can be kind of ruff. Also since these are plastic they will break, don't try to shove too much hair into them. Also after awhile they will just start to break, but you get like 12 for $4 so not bad really.

sapphire-o
February 3rd, 2009, 12:00 AM
You need a Ficcare (or six). :) Ficcares would hold my slippery hair when nothing else would.

I also quit using any conditioner on my hair.

Gumball
February 3rd, 2009, 12:27 AM
I'm another proponent of using some aloe gel. It gives just a tiny bit of easily washable coating that can help grant some traction. Apply as needed. It's more trial and error than anything ti find the right amount for you. That's also one of the tidbits when trying to braid hair on someone with slippery hair, too. Rub just a small bit of aloe on the hands to give a very light coating (like applying a drop of oil) to help with grip.

LaurelSpring
February 3rd, 2009, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the aloe tip. Im going to have to give that a try. I did this last night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0NMLSUICp4&feature=related

It helped a good bit. I'm going to have to give my CV bars another go. I have several but stoped using them for some reason and now I cant remember why. I need some sort of log so I can remember what works and what doesnt!:hmm:

LaurelSpring
February 4th, 2009, 08:08 AM
This morning I tried the Zizyphus shampoo bar from H4H. I forgot that I bought it awhile back. Now I remember why I stopped using it. My hair feels like gunk and I shed a ton. The good news is its holding like glue (which it feels like).

eadwine
February 5th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Mist mist mist.

My hair slips out of ANYTHING when it is dry, I mist the ends before securing the style.

misstwist
February 5th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Too much slip has been driving me crazy recently. I've started putting just a tiny bit of caster oil on my hands and adding a scraping of shea butter, rubbing it all together and then through the length.

My hair is grippy when I run my fingers through it and it holds wonderfully, but my combs still glide right through it. Quite a trick.

Melisande
February 6th, 2009, 12:33 AM
Sheabutter. Just a tiny bit. My slippery hair is driving me crazy, too. Since I started using the catnip (against those odious splits...) my hair became even slipperier :roll:

So I put just a bit of pure shea butter on my palms until they shine and wipe it over my hair. HTH. For me it does the job.