PDA

View Full Version : After vogue pics, think this ok for work?

Debra83
February 1st, 2009, 09:05 PM
Hi all, just wanted opinions if you think this looks okay for work. I decided I'd go with it even though it's not quite right, after looking at that vogue picture of hairstyles thread. But, I'm still a little weirded out about it cuz I hardly ever wear my hair up for work. :o

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2126&pictureid=30764

Curlsgirl
February 1st, 2009, 09:29 PM
What kind of place do you work? When my hair was that length instead of leaving it down after braiding sometimes for work or dress I would use a smaller band and tuck it up under the braid and pin. It looks really neat and business-like that way if that's what you are going for. Other than that I think it looks great except again you might want to go for a less conspicuous band. Pretty braid!!!

Delilah
February 1st, 2009, 09:34 PM
Sure it is, I can't imagine any workplace being opposed to a neatly made french braid. If anything it looks more professional than wearing it down.

Coriander
February 1st, 2009, 09:39 PM
It's a beautiful braid :) Good job.

jojo
February 1st, 2009, 10:08 PM
Its a lovely braid, well done. You go to work and be proud of your handywork, bet you get lots of compliments too.

Debra83
February 2nd, 2009, 08:29 AM
Thank you!!! :D

Katze
February 2nd, 2009, 08:34 AM
I don't see anything wrong with it! :)

My hair is messy no matter what I do, but since I teach at a University and there are all kind of weird looking people there (not as many as there used to be) I really don't worry. :silly:

CindyLea1
February 2nd, 2009, 08:38 AM
I'd say wrap it in a different elastic and run with it. If you can french braid it, I bet you could get a bunch of updo'd to look super cute. With my hair, the french braid was the 'do that told me I could do just about any updo now!

Your hair is so thick! I love the waves.

Fairlight63
February 2nd, 2009, 08:40 AM
You done a great job on your braid. Looks good to me.:cheese:

Debra83
February 3rd, 2009, 03:09 AM
What kind of place do you work? When my hair was that length instead of leaving it down after braiding sometimes for work or dress I would use a smaller band and tuck it up under the braid and pin. It looks really neat and business-like that way if that's what you are going for. Other than that I think it looks great except again you might want to go for a less conspicuous band. Pretty braid!!!

Thanks Curlsgirl!!! Took your advice and used a less "look-at-me!!!" hairband!!! Haven't quite figured out the whole pinning it up thing yet!!! I work at a bank...and got some compliments!! Got to work on something different now...for variety. :hmm:

Debra83
February 3rd, 2009, 03:11 AM
Thanks everybody, that was fun to try for work. Shall I tell you what happened to the poor thing during my chiro appointment?!!! No...too sad! BUT, I redid it for bowling tonight - it's getting easier!!! AND it stayed up all night!!!!

suicides_eve
February 3rd, 2009, 10:59 AM
bravo! better then what i could do.

Curlsgirl
February 3rd, 2009, 12:02 PM
Thanks Curlsgirl!!! Took your advice and used a less "look-at-me!!!" hairband!!! Haven't quite figured out the whole pinning it up thing yet!!! I work at a bank...and got some compliments!! Got to work on something different now...for variety. :hmm:

Great!!! :cheese:

coppercurls
February 3rd, 2009, 05:26 PM
Ah! Good for you on the compliments. My fingers are "french braid challenged" so I am in awe of anyone who can !

As for variety, could you do two braids & make a bun out of the ends?

Auryn
February 3rd, 2009, 05:38 PM
Sure it is, I can't imagine any workplace being opposed to a neatly made french braid. If anything it looks more professional than wearing it down.

I hate to be picky, but the braid in the OP isn't a french braid, it's a dutch braid :) (It took me a bit to realize it though..between the shine in her hair and the flash from the camera you really have to look to see where it's reversed.)

To the OP: it looks great, I don't see where anyone would have a problem with it :)

spidermom
February 3rd, 2009, 06:36 PM
Well done! Now try crossing UNDER the center strand from each side (dutch) instead of OVER the center strand as you are doing to make your lovely french braid. I find the dutch variety stays neat a lot longer.

Debra83
February 4th, 2009, 01:45 AM
Well done! Now try crossing UNDER the center strand from each side (dutch) instead of OVER the center strand as you are doing to make your lovely french braid. I find the dutch variety stays neat a lot longer.

Wow. sounds do-able, but I seem to very braid-challenged. Almost lost a finger in there somewhere trying to contortion for this one!!!! Whether it be dutch or french, all I have to do is go under now? (I'm pretty sure I was going over this one - never even thought to go under!!!)...

I'd love to try the braid - bun thingy someone suggested for me, alas, I have many, many, many layers (of course, NONE OF WHICH ARE CLOSE IN LENGTH, sigh), so THAT might prove a little challenging too!!!

I had a doll when I was little, that you could push her belly button, and her hair would go loooonnnng. She had a round "dial" on her back to crank to make it retract back into her head. Wonder why WE weren't made like that!!!!

darkwaves
February 4th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Very pretty.

When my hair was that length instead of leaving it down after braiding sometimes for work or dress I would use a smaller band and tuck it up under the braid and pin. I used to do this, too. I'd just roll the braid under, and hold with a neutral barrette.

Sissy
February 4th, 2009, 04:52 PM
I think wearing hair up is typically seen as being more professional. Even though I don't think it should matter... I think hair worn down can look just as professional.

Debra83
February 5th, 2009, 12:40 AM
I think wearing hair up is typically seen as being more professional. Even though I don't think it should matter... I think hair worn down can look just as professional.

hmmm...yah...like the librarian in the Mummy. With her hair down, she did NOT look like a librarian. She sure did though with the updo and the glasses. Funny thing how perceptions work, eh?

pdy2kn6
February 5th, 2009, 01:48 AM
i think it looks great, you can really see your thickness. i like the chunky hairband, Im sure it would be great for work

Debra83
February 8th, 2009, 01:32 AM
I was actually using a cell-phone camera, no flash!!! My bathroom light shows up very bright on my cell-phone for some reason.

Debra83
February 8th, 2009, 01:34 AM
i think it looks great, you can really see your thickness. i like the chunky hairband, Im sure it would be great for work

Thank you!!!

LittleOrca
February 8th, 2009, 01:50 AM
lol, now THAT is high fashion!

It looks better than the vogue braid for sure, and I applaud you! I cannot braid my own hair like that. Mine always have to start as ponytails.

Beloved
February 8th, 2009, 01:58 AM
Trade in that bright elastic hair tie for a sleek barrette and you will have a professional look.

That braid was not half bad! I can't do my own french braids or dutchies, so I applaud you. :)

Debra83
February 8th, 2009, 03:24 AM
Thanks you guys!!! It'll be fun to try new things as it gets longer!!

I actually bought supplies to make my first home-made hairtoy - it's called a "slide"...er...I THINK it's called a slide anyway. It's a cord and beads that I put together and work onto a ponytail or braid. Should all prove interesting...and will try to post pics if I don't injure myself in the process!!! lol