PDA

View Full Version : How do you shed?

Darkhorse1
February 1st, 2009, 08:23 PM
I've been curious to know how all of you shed.

Meaning, do you have 1 major shed after you wash it (however the method of washing you use) or do you shed a little bit every day? I do the majority of my shedding when I wash, then a few hairs here or there until the next washing.

Just curious! :)

maunaloa
February 1st, 2009, 08:27 PM
I feel like I shed all the time everywhere. I find my hair ALL OVER the house. It's very annoying. I started taking garlic pills as I have read that they help with reduced shedding...too soon to tell...

OhioLisa
February 1st, 2009, 08:38 PM
I only really comb my hair before washing, so it's either during that combing or after washing that I notice shed hairs. My hair is up the rest of the time, so it makes sense that I don't notice shedding otherwise.

Coriander
February 1st, 2009, 08:39 PM
I seem to shed most when I'm washing my hair. I have to have one of those hair trappers or else there will be issues lol.

Rohele
February 1st, 2009, 08:44 PM
I seem to shed anywhere at anytime during the day, and, according to DH especially if I'm baking (the ongoing joke in our household is that the person who gets mom's hair in their cookie wins the prize :p )

lizzyjo
February 1st, 2009, 09:03 PM
I shed the most when I comb my hair out after washing it.

spidermom
February 1st, 2009, 09:29 PM
I shed every time I comb or brush, also when I wash, but it never looks like more than about 10 hairs at a time. However, in the fall of 2005, it was coming out in handfuls. Scary! I think that played into my decision to cut back from nearly waist to APL.

Curlsgirl
February 1st, 2009, 09:34 PM
If I comb my hair out really well in the shower I shed a ton then and not as much in between washes. Other than that if I haven't combed as well I will shed more during the week especially if I wear my hair down of course and more at certain times of the year. It is scary sometimes how much I shed when I wash but I only wash 1 or 2 times a week. A lot of times the shed hair gets caught in the curls and waits for me to wash it because I rarely comb except when I wash.

dearladydisdain
February 1st, 2009, 09:34 PM
I shed a little bit all of the time, it seems like. People are always finding my hairs everywhere :blushing:

Delilah
February 1st, 2009, 09:36 PM
When I detangle after washing, or when I brush it in the morning with a boar bristle brush if I am not washing.
For some reason it seems I shed while I sleep.

Calanthe
February 1st, 2009, 10:53 PM
It's a little here and there. Most is while combing in the morning, because it's up most of the time anyway. There's always a little shedding during washing, too. Interesting is, that the amount varies depending on the stuff I use. With some there almost no shedding at all and with others it's coming out by the handful (ok, it's not, it only feels like that...:D).

Meshi
February 2nd, 2009, 12:15 AM
I shed everywhere, any time, all the time, like my hair is some kind of comical parasite that loves to leech on to passersby (really now!). Not only does it play havoc on my wool peacoat (imagine four sheets of the lint roller used once a day), but it finds its way into my friends' dorms, their beds even though I haven't even gone to some of their rooms, their jackets, and even inside their coat sleeves!

Now that is Epic Win.

SimplyLonghair
February 2nd, 2009, 12:46 AM
I shed, when I brush, when I wash, when I change clothes, when I sleep, etc. I shed. Not many at a time, but it is on going. I find hair everywhere. Our ongoing joke, is we don't charge extra for hair and after all it is extra protein.:o LOL:D

rymorg2
February 2nd, 2009, 04:41 AM
I wear my hair up everyday, so usually I only notice shed hairs during and after a wash. My detangling or brushing is sporadic, most of the time I just use my fingers and finger comb, so that doesn't contribute for me.

Iylivarae
February 2nd, 2009, 05:12 AM
I don't shed much between washes, I find the most shed hairs on the day after I washed (this is the time when I comb after washing). So I suppose the hairs loosen when I wash, but because I instantly put my hair up after washing they can't fall out until I start combing.

FallenAngel
February 2nd, 2009, 06:35 AM
I shed all the time. A few hair here and a few hairs there...

Exeption - when I had given birth to my girls, a few months after each girl it felt like I was loosing ALL my hair and every time I washed my hair my hands were covered in so much hair it was disgusting. *shudders* That was nasty.

Johanna64
February 2nd, 2009, 07:14 AM
I shed all the time too,but in the fall(every year) it gets worser.

Belisama
February 2nd, 2009, 07:54 AM
I shed a lot when I wash my hair (finger combing the conditioner though the length) and afterward when I am finger combing leave in conditioner into my hair. Less so when I brush, but I seem to shed all the time, though my hair is up most of the day.

HairyCarrie
February 2nd, 2009, 08:05 AM
I've not paid much attention to shedding. I find some hairs in the shower drain but it doesn't seem excessive and of course hairs in the brush. But I've never been shocked over anything falling out of my head, so I'm guessing for now I shed a normal, expected amount.

Darkhorse1
February 2nd, 2009, 08:52 AM
Interesting. I do shed the most after a wash, when I comb out my hair with a wide tooth comb. Then, I shed the odd hairs here and there.

It's interesting to note different shedding.

Don't ya love it when it gets into your food. (Gag!)

vampodrama
February 2nd, 2009, 09:21 AM
I shed all the time all over the place. since no one I know has long red hair, it's very easy to blame me because my hair seems to be in places I've never been... kinda like my cat's hair. it's everywhere.

AJoifulNoise
February 2nd, 2009, 09:25 AM
Most of my shedding happens when I wash and when I comb. I comb three times a day (before shower, after shower, before bed) and lose a little bit of hair every time.

On the rare occasion that I wear my hair down do shed a hair here and a hair there, but not a lot.

JamieLeigh
February 2nd, 2009, 09:37 AM
I've never really paid much attention to the pattern of my shedding, but now that my curiosity is piqued, I will find this out! LOL.

viking_quest
February 2nd, 2009, 10:06 AM
I shed a lot after I take a shower, but then it's just a little shed everyday until I wash it again.

harley mama
February 2nd, 2009, 10:35 AM
I shed any time I manipulate my hair. It is worse when I CO.
I think I shed less than normal unless I have high stress.

rhubarbarin
February 2nd, 2009, 02:30 PM
I shed constantly, my apartment, my BF's apartment, my work, the car, everything is covered with my hair.

I do shed more when I rub my scalp while washing (doesn't matter if I use sulfates, soap, condish, or water).

Misha
February 2nd, 2009, 03:00 PM
I usually shed a bit if I'm handling my hair for combing or updos, and a *small* bundle when washing.

RedStripe
February 2nd, 2009, 03:41 PM
I seem to shed at any and all times. I don't just find hairs all over the house -- I find wads of hair. Guess it shifts around to accumulate in one place when the floors haven't been swept in a while.

LadyLongLocks
February 2nd, 2009, 03:49 PM
I shed mostly(or notice it more) after I wash and comb it out. I try to comb/brush as little as possible between washing. I find my hair everyplace! I use a wet sponge or cloth on the rug where I spend most of my time, I collect the hair by going in big circles on the rug. Its quite shocking to see how much I actually collect :thud:

FB
February 2nd, 2009, 04:15 PM
I shed the most when I wash and a little bit when I brush my hair. However, sometimes it seems that I shed more than at other times.

Millielie
February 3rd, 2009, 10:47 AM
I shed most while washing and combing after washing. It's horrible. In between the washes it's in a normal range.

Eden Iris
February 3rd, 2009, 10:57 AM
I shed a freaking lot! When I brushed regularly there was always a bunch in the brush. Now I rarely brush and I still lose the same amount of hair per week, but most of it comes out while washing. Every morning when I comb my hair before putting it up I find a little hair spider in the comb.

I've noticed that I don't really have seasonal sheds, but that may be because I live in a climate where we don't really have seasons.

Deborah
February 3rd, 2009, 10:57 AM
I only seem to lose about 2 or 3 hairs while washing, so I guess it's mostly when I comb or brush.

WavyGirl
February 5th, 2009, 02:16 PM
If I touch my hair I shed. It's normally up but whenever I take it down I lose a couple. I always notice most when I shower, I think the extra handling detaches more. It used to worry me because I shed a lot, but I'm resigned to it now.

punky
February 11th, 2009, 10:36 AM
I have been sheding for a couple of months now. I guess it must be the time of year.

JamieLeigh
February 11th, 2009, 10:46 AM
I've been paying more attention to this lately, and it seems that I shed in the shower more often than anywhere else. I hardly have to pick hairs out of my BBB, and I use a wide-tooth wooden comb to detangle, so there's not much chance of hair getting stuck there either. I massage while I apply my CO, so that might be loosening the shed hairs. Of course, I do find random long hairs on odd surfaces in the house. ;)

Ryanne
February 11th, 2009, 11:30 AM
I shed a lot. Luckily I mostly find the hairs on my stuff, like on my backpack, clothing and large amounts on my bedroom floor. Most of the shedding is while washing.

Naava
February 11th, 2009, 11:46 AM
I guess I shed about the same amount all the time, even though I have to admit that I haven't really been paying attention...

jel
February 11th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Like mad! :(

I've noticed increased shedding in the last few months, with what looks like handfuls in the shower (twice a week), and at least a dozen hairs every time I comb/detangle (i.e. twice a day). In the past, I only shed a hair or two while combing, and a bit more (20-30 hairs) in the shower. A bit more than that in the autumn, but hardly any in the summer.

When I realised my ponytail circumference had actually decreased I saw my GP and had some tests done. Hopefully, with a new BCP and some iron supplements, things will change for the better!

Mabel Grey
November 7th, 2009, 07:06 PM
I looked this up to see what was the normal amount of hairs that seem to be lost in a day of shedding. I seem to have started losing between 10 and 20 a day. All when I comb out; in the morning, or in the evening when I rinse and condition my hair. I thought it may be the season change, but now am thinking to up my vitamins. I have had quite a bit of stress this year, but I have gained length and diameter, like never before. So I am just confused as to what the hair fairy is doing to me. :confused:

Amara
November 7th, 2009, 07:15 PM
I think I only shed when I wash or comb/detangle, which I do every day. The rest of the time, almost constantly, my hair is up, so it doesn't have a chance to come out.

AbruptlyWanderi
November 7th, 2009, 07:15 PM
When I have my hair down, there are random shed hairs all over the place, and I always shed so many hairs when I wash my hair...

DARKMARTIAN
November 7th, 2009, 07:18 PM
definately.....after brushing. There have been times when i looked down at my brush and you could only see bristles and a handle.....

had a few wind-blown knots too that ended up badly........:o

kiana
November 7th, 2009, 07:49 PM
i only shed about 3 or 4 hairs after i shampoo

pepperminttea
November 7th, 2009, 09:14 PM
I shed a little every day, then quite a bit when I wash, but thankfully never freak-out amounts.

meowmeow
November 7th, 2009, 10:02 PM
I shed a little bit in the morning when I comb my hair, and then I shed a lot (well, it looks like a lot) when I wash my hair in the evening.

Aditi
November 7th, 2009, 11:40 PM
I shed the most at the time of washing my hair and then shed less like 10-20 hair when i comb. When i oil my hair i only shed 5-10 hair at the time of combing my hair.

RancheroTheBee
November 8th, 2009, 12:46 AM
I shed about 20 hair when I wash (about every two or three days) and about 10 hairs when I brush or massage, which is daily. Occasionally, I'll have a HUGE, one-time shed when I wash. Think 100+ hairs. This seems to happen for no reason, and only a few times a year.

MissManda
November 8th, 2009, 01:31 AM
I don't shed that much, only while/after I wash. I think it's somewhere between 20-40 hairs. I also shed about 5-20 strands when I comb my hair (it varies daily). Then I shed a few hairs in between then until my next wash.

In2JC724
November 8th, 2009, 12:12 PM
I shed a few here and there... mostly I'll notice one hair tickling me further down my arm than normal, and I'll give it a light tug, just to make sure it's already out! lol I'm finding as it's getting longer, some are still attached! It's amusing, to me anyways.. :)

Otherwise, I find it threaded through fleece sweaters, and other fabrics, which is weird... and my DH finds it all over his person... but I think he's gotten used to it. I've never had short hair, so I've probably been leaving long hairs everywhere... lol

I'd say the majority is when I wash, and then brush it afterwards...

ravenreed
November 8th, 2009, 12:20 PM
When I used SLS shampoos, I had a huge shed in the shower. Now I lose maybe 10 in the shower, I also lose some every time I brush. I find hair every where. However, I have noticed that I shed a lot near my computer. There is always a disturbing Raven hair ball right next to my computer chair that has to be vacuumed up. I guess I put out any dangling hairs and they end up there.

Nadi
November 8th, 2009, 12:39 PM
I shed a lot when I wash, comb/brush, and when I dye my hair. Otherwise, I shed a little through the day.

sincerebydesign
November 8th, 2009, 02:11 PM
I've come to notice that I don't really shed, at least not like I used to when my hair was relaxed. I shed mostly when I wash, and a bit when I comb/brush. I don't really shed throughout the day, although I do keep my hair up.

Pixna
November 8th, 2009, 03:48 PM
I shed when I comb my hair, and sometimes a few strays just slither out and escape throughout the day. I also shed a LOT when I wash my hair -- during the whole process and afterward, when I comb with a wide-tooth comb. I pretty much shed all the time (sometimes I wonder how I have any hair left on my head!), but most of all during and after shampoo time.

Horsetuna
November 8th, 2009, 04:01 PM
I find the occasional loose hair coming out during the day, but I have found I seem to be drawing out loose hairs every time I wash my hair since switching to HE.

I am not sure if the hair is coming out due to using HE, or if its already-losened old hairs that were caught up in the rest of my locks that are now able to come loose. I think this because I've found a few who have the root end at the tails of the hair and the other endfurther up towards my natural roots.

KatanyaG
November 8th, 2009, 07:11 PM
I shed all the time, and it disturbs me!

I shed when I brush and comb my hair, no matter how gently I do it, and when I wash... even when I just run my fingers through my hair, it comes out.

I'm not sure if its to do with my itchy scalp or not (which drives me mad - and I'm trying to fix it), but urgh.

skay
November 8th, 2009, 10:46 PM
I think it's when/after I comb my hair - I find hair in that area. Also, when I'm lying down/sleeping I think.

I barely shed when I wash my hair (I used to a few or so years ago).

faeflame
November 9th, 2009, 02:46 PM
I shed 10 or so hairs any time I comb my hair out. I find a small hairball in the shower each time I shampoo and leave 10- 20 hairs in my comb when I detangle after washing, less if I remember to comb out my hair before I wash it. I also shed randomly about the house. DH is always finding long red hair in his clothing, even socks straight from the dryer!!

akevita2002
November 9th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Excepting the seasonal shedding or the stress caused shedding, I usually shed more when my hair gets dirty and I have to wash it. I'm washing 2 times a week, so the first days after wash I only shed small amounts.
I used to shed a lot when I was oiling my hair and when I was washing it, but ever since I'm taking garlic and also adding garlic to my hair oil, the shedding decreased substantially. And, no, I do not stink of garlic :D

Dars
November 9th, 2009, 06:09 PM
All my shed hairs come out when I'm detangling, which is when I wash. A few hairs come out between washes.

RocketDog
November 9th, 2009, 07:09 PM
I get shed hairs in my comb every time I run it through my hair, and a few in the shower too. My heavy shedding seems to be stopping now, thank goodness... I was losing a scary amount of hair every time I ran my hands through my hair, let alone touched it with a comb!

Tressie
November 9th, 2009, 07:29 PM
I shed like crazy! I shed when I wash and detangle and whenever I just detangle, and when I run my hands through my hair too!

I've been saying I'm going to have bloodwork done to check my thyroid, which I suspect is very sluggish, but I've been putting off the expense as I am a "self-pay"! LOL!

HildeMV
November 9th, 2009, 07:44 PM
mostly when I shower or I brush it.

coddswaddle
November 18th, 2009, 05:33 PM
I have a question about shedding: Most of my shed hairs have no root bulb on them- is this good or bad? Does it mean that I damaged the follicle if it has the bulb? Which is the healthy/normal way to shed?

ericthegreat
November 18th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Up until recently I was a major brushaholic. I followed the "100 strokes per day" rule, actually even more than 100 strokes I used to brush up to 200 times throughout the day. I would brush when I woke up, I have a brush in my handbag that I take with me everywhere to detangle my hair whenever I got the chance to go into the bathroom, and night I would also brush a good 50 times. I constantly shed a good maybe 5 to 8 hairs in my brush with every brushing session, adding to a total of around 50 shed hairs a day.

Now, I only comb out my hair right after I CO rinse my hair and its soaking wet and slippery. When it fully air dries, I leave it as is. I will brush it once or twice when its dry if I really feel the need to look more presentable. Lately I have found that I shed a bit less hair, around 40 hairs per day instead of my previous usual of 50 now that I brush my hair much less often.

Belledandy
November 18th, 2009, 07:07 PM
I shed constantly. I shed while washing, while combing, however carefully. I shed while standing still and on Thursdays or when butterflies flap their wings in Peru. An ex roommate once described it as living with a shetland pony. Vacuum cleaners tremble in fear at my presence.

Interestingly, I seem to shed slightly less washing with herbs and using cassia. I suspect it's weak roots.

JaneinMarch
November 18th, 2009, 07:18 PM
I see most of my shed hairs while twisting or plaiting, after washing. I always twist/plait on wet hair. Much less painful.

When my mom used to style my dry hair, I'd end up with a comb full of shed curlicues. Brush also.

Pixna
November 19th, 2009, 10:52 AM
I shed constantly. I shed while washing, while combing, however carefully. I shed while standing still and on Thursdays or when butterflies flap their wings in Peru. An ex roommate once described it as living with a shetland pony. Vacuum cleaners tremble in fear at my presence.

:laugh: Loved what you wrote, Belledandy -- totally cracked me up. Sadly, I can relate to every word. BUT, I heard it rumored that laughter prevents shedding, so keep it up!!!

JCFantasy23
November 19th, 2009, 11:48 PM
Since I changed up my routine and don't get massive daily tangles, I notice I shed a lot less (thank God). I always lose a few hairs when bathing. For a shower not sure but probably a little more because of water pressure, I don't count in the shower. When my hair has dried and whenever I brush it I lose some hairs that way too. I still love brushing my hair though, feels great and I figure those hairs are just loose anyway and will fall out some way or another.

teela1978
November 20th, 2009, 12:12 AM
I think I constantly shed... I only really notice it if I'm combing or washing though. Sometimes I'll go a couple of days without combing and then it looks like I shed a LOT in the shower, but I think its just a few days of hair finally being let loose. If I comb once a day or so the shower shed is much smaller. I usually get a few (2-3) hairs if I pull my fingers through the length as well, which I do several times per day (making/unmaking buns)

I've never really counted it but I'd guess it was between 30-50 hairs a day on average. Hard to tell really.

Squeaky
November 20th, 2009, 01:16 AM
I tend to shed a lot when I wash my hair and when I'm combing through it after. Although, this is usually the only time I comb through my hair and its about every 3-4 days.