PDA

View Full Version : Henna-ed today and I'm freaking OUT

Buggheart
February 1st, 2009, 03:38 PM
My hair is orange. I started with dark auburn hair and it is now orange and I'm freaking out. I've been alternately hennaing and coloring for 3 years (used to use LUSH) so I know what I'm doing. But I tried the PP henna today and I'm really disappointed with my result and I don't understand.

Two days ago I did strand tests using PP and Yemeni and they turned out the same color. Today I did the whole head using PP and it's orange.

Please tell me that it's going to darken up in a day or two. Is it different because of body heat or something???

I'm trying really hard to resist slapping some chemical dye over the top right now.

Isilme
February 1st, 2009, 03:46 PM
it'll oxidize over the next few days and calm down. Hair is always bright orange after hennaing. You are probably not used to BAQ henna, the LUSH hennas are quite mainstream and not very strong, the BAQ is a totally different story. Have patience and wait:) It will be beautiful in a few days.

Buggheart
February 1st, 2009, 03:52 PM
Thanks so much. I'm hoping that's it. I started with hair the color of your picture and it's so light I cannot believe it. I hope it darkens up a little before work tomorrow.

sibilum
February 1st, 2009, 03:57 PM
Don't use any chemical dye over it, just wait. Use a scarf or something else to disguise it tomorrow, but please don't do anything that can damage your hair. I bet it will darken. ;)

kittygirl
February 1st, 2009, 04:13 PM
It should darken up in a few days. The first time I used PP (over reddish brown dyed hair that had been heavy highlighted blond) it was very orange for the first few days. I went to the grocery store on Day 2 and I swear the glow almost seemed to offend a guy in line! But in a few days it calmed down and over the next few weeks it actually seemed to darken even more.

Now it looks like:

<<<< that

Hang in there!

Jeni
February 1st, 2009, 04:45 PM
I agree with everyone else, it should darken up in a few days. I do a cassia/henna mix but I always apply when I know I wont be going anywhere for a few days. Bozo orange hair isn't exactly a good look for me.

RavennaNight
February 1st, 2009, 05:44 PM
Its PP? It will darken. Give it 3 days. Then be the judge. ;)

Buggheart
February 1st, 2009, 06:20 PM
Yep, PP. Since my strand tests with PP and Yemen resulted in the same color I just grabbed the PP and went with it. It seems like it's darkening already or I'm just getting used to it, but I'm not as freaked out now.

Thank you all for the advice. Maybe next time I'll go back to using red tea as my liquid like I did with LUSH henna. Or maybe I'll try the Yemen one next time.

Buggheart
February 1st, 2009, 06:35 PM
Yep, it's PP. I strand tested with PP and Yemen and both yielded the same result so I went with the PP and here I am. Ugh. Next time I'm going to use red tea as my liquid to see if that helps. I used to do that with the LUSH henna and I never turned orange like this. I'm getting used to the lighter color so it's either darkening already or my eyes have adjusted. Just hoping it is somewhat darker tomorrow.

Thanks for the support!

Buggheart
February 1st, 2009, 06:45 PM
Oops, sorry for the double post. I thought it got lost so I posted again.

marshwoman
February 1st, 2009, 08:04 PM
PP is different for me in that it does seem to be brighter and lighter before oxidising. I started out using Yemen and it would glow a little the first day and then turn auburn, but the PP brings a much longer-lasting, very warm (orange) and overall bright color that takes at least three, maybe more, days to oxidise on my hair. Once it does, it's a very rich, pretty auburn. So hang in there!:D

eaglefeather71
February 1st, 2009, 09:07 PM
PP oxidised beautifully! It actually gets quite dark depending on how long you left it on. It really does give the most beautiful Red when fully oxidised which can be anywhere from 2-7 days. It just keeps darkening.

Delilah
February 1st, 2009, 09:11 PM
It will get darker, henna always does that. Give it a week and if you are still unsatisfied, henna again and it will darken up the color.
Henna deposits in layers, I have seen pictures of several people go fro blonde to carrot to cool burgandy with repeated applications.
Please give it a few days to oxidize and even do another layer or two of henna (allowing them to oxidize too) before considering chemical dye.

HairColoredHair
February 1st, 2009, 09:35 PM
I'll echo what everyone's said... just wait a bit. I gave my (ZOMG it's ORANGE) hair a week before I decided if I wanted to change it and by then it was a nice auburn. :)

Buggheart
February 2nd, 2009, 06:58 AM
Thanks for even more supportive advice! It has already darkened up a little bit so I'm not so freaked out. I will definitely give it several days to darken up and will maybe do another layer on Friday night. I left it on for 4 hours this time. I couldn't stand the headache and drippage any longer so I washed it out.

Oh and I have to tell you that i love love love the pure henna powder as opposed to LUSH. I never had any issues with LUSH but it was hard to grate and get a nice consistency and really hard to wash out. This new stuff is a dream!

Heidi_234
February 2nd, 2009, 09:37 AM
LOL now I'm sort of freaked out. My hair is really dark to start with, so what if I go too dark with my PP? :shudder:

lora410
February 2nd, 2009, 09:40 AM
Relax mine started out orange too, and in a few days it got darker. If your hair is dark auburn there is NO WAY you could stay orange. You would have to be a blonde for that to happen.