PDA

View Full Version : Did my first clarifying and followed Kirin's diagnostic tips

Yedda
February 1st, 2009, 02:29 PM
Yesterday, I used Suave clarifying shampoo, did not use any products, and let my hair air dry as recommended in Kirin's diagnostic tips article.

My hair feels WONDERFUL today.:D I woke up and my hair was soft and looked very healthy. It appears that my problem was build up afterall.

I am hoping someone will be able to answer a couple questions for me...

1-For those who clarify, do you also use a clarifying conditioner after using the clarifying shampoo?

2-In Kirin's article, she references using a protein pack if you determine your hair needs protein. What exactly would be considered a protein pack?

By the way, thank you for the helpful article Kirin if you happen to read this post! (And where were you before I chopped off all my hair???;))

Coriander
February 1st, 2009, 02:43 PM
Oh I'm glad you have lovely hair after you clarify! I wish I could say the same :p

I use Neutrogena anti-residue shampoo when I clarify and they don't seem to make the conditioner anymore (boo!) I usually will do my deep treatment right afterwards though.

I don't use them anymore but I think the protein packs are those little one-time-use packs that you can find in the shampoo aisles? Like the Queen Helene's placenta one (someone please correct me if I'm wrong :o)

Congratulations on having wonderful hair! :)

Carolyn
February 1st, 2009, 02:45 PM
The way I understand it, a "clarifying conditioner" is merely a regular condtioner made to go along with a clarifying shampoo. After I clarify I want to put moisture back in my hair so I'll use something very moisturizing like a SMT with a cone free conditioner.

lora410
February 1st, 2009, 02:54 PM
I use regular conditioner and some oil after a clarity. A protein pack will usually be a deep treatment with the word protein on the pack or on the ingredients list, bu there are regular hair care shampoos and conditioners with protein. If your hair feels "gummy" that means it needs protein,but not everyones hair likes protein. I can use protein in my hair care products "ingredients will say soy protein, hydrogenated protein, or something else with the word protein etc"

Tangles
February 1st, 2009, 03:26 PM
The Neutrogena clarifying poo makes my hair REALLY flat against my head. It's weird, because removing buildup is supposed to increase bounce, right? I typically follow with my regular conditioner (Suave or Trader Joe's, usually).

suicides_eve
February 1st, 2009, 03:33 PM
i follow up with my favorite product nexuss humcantress a bit pricey but defiantly moisturizing- suave knock off didn't impress me much do i've gone back to the original

you can alos find protein conditioners Mane and tail is a great conditioner filled with proteins, another is Ahpoogee which is sold at sally's beauty stores and i am sure some one on the broads has a home made recipce the said above some where

Yedda
February 1st, 2009, 08:09 PM
Oh I'm glad you have lovely hair after you clarify! I wish I could say the same :p

I use Neutrogena anti-residue shampoo when I clarify and they don't seem to make the conditioner anymore (boo!) I usually will do my deep treatment right afterwards though.

I don't use them anymore but I think the protein packs are those little one-time-use packs that you can find in the shampoo aisles? Like the Queen Helene's placenta one (someone please correct me if I'm wrong :o)

Congratulations on having wonderful hair! :)

Well thank you Coriander.:D

And thanks for everyone else's advise. As far as the protein, I think I might give it a try to see if my hair likes it or not.

Since a lot of you guys just use regular conditioner after clarifying, I think I might too. Do think it would be ill-adviced if I used a cone conditioner after clarifying?

Sissy
February 1st, 2009, 08:55 PM
regarding protein packs Ion makes a good one. Also, the Queen Helen's that was mentioned. Henna N Placenta is also full of protein. :) Glad your hair enjoyed being clarified. I have yet to try Kirin's diagnostic tips but hope to do so soon.

jojo
February 1st, 2009, 09:13 PM
I do a deep conditioner after clarifying and I tend to clarify when my hair gets crunchy at the ends and is difficult to comb.

Delilah
February 1st, 2009, 09:27 PM
1- I don't use conditioner, I find that 2-3 full-length lathers with a more cleansing shampoo bar followed by a diluted vinegar rinse that is left to sit on the hair for 3 minutes before rinsing clarifies as much as I need to.
This is much more than I usually cleanse, on a daily basis I use a moisturizing shampoo bar on my roots (1 lather) and let the little bit of suds wash down the rest of my hair.

2-For a protein pack, I mix honey and conditioner 1:1, a couple tsp of oil, and add an egg yolk. Beat the egg yolk in and have at least 1/2 cup of mixture so that rinsing it in warm water does not cook the egg on- this will happen with straight egg.

Oh and I forgot to mention, henna on my hair will actually clarify it quite well. It's definitely fluffy and free of residue once I sit with acidic mud on my head for a few hours.

Linda K
February 2nd, 2009, 12:19 AM
The Neutrogena clarifying poo makes my hair REALLY flat against my head. It's weird, because removing buildup is supposed to increase bounce, right? I typically follow with my regular conditioner (Suave or Trader Joe's, usually).

I read about using Suave & VO5 for conditioning washes on the thread here. I'd only used them about 3 times before I was in for a good trim this week (snaggy ends). I've found I need to have a salon clarifying treatment about every 2 months due to well-water mineral deposits. Anywho, my hairdresser told me these 2 brands are loaded with gums and wax that build up on the hair. She has a family that comes in regular for cuts. All the kids have really hard to comb hair - she can scrape wax off their hair. Mom says she buys suave because it's cheap. I'd just 'pooed with Suave Clarifying before I went in. It could be your water, it could be the product. You might want to go in for an evaluation from a hairdresser and decide what to do from there. :confused:

i follow up with my favorite product nexuss humcantress a bit pricey but defiantly moisturizing- suave knock off didn't impress me much do i've gone back to the original

It's my understanding Humectress is a moisturizer & Keraphix is the protein pack. You're right, the products are worth it. In the long run, they are not as spendy to use as many others I've seen. I know there's nothing to weigh the hair down, you can use Humectress on your skin too. I finally started getting some length when I used Nexxus or Redken products. :D Ojon Ultra Hydrating was pretty good too - but I'm finding they use a lot of cones in some products, like the Glossing Mist - so I'm rethinking that one. :(

Fluke
February 2nd, 2009, 03:56 AM
Since a lot of you guys just use regular conditioner after clarifying, I think I might too. Do think it would be ill-adviced if I used a cone conditioner after clarifying?

I don't think it would be a good idea to use cones after clarifying, anything clarifying is also quite drying, stripping gunk, build up, moisture, pretty much everything off your hair.
I don't know if you use cones or not in your regular routine, but after carifying you should use something moisturising, and cones will act like a barrier between moisture and your hair :flower: