PDA

View Full Version : Ideas to spruce up multi-band ponytail?

Ponytale
January 31st, 2009, 07:28 PM
Hi,

I just spent a week in the tropics and tried a multiband ponytail for hiking. It was perfect...hair stayed untangled, and by "poofing" the sections between the bands, it looked fuller.

One of my colleagues who was there working with me said "You know, I like your hair in buns, but you really look more Schick with a ponytail". Wow!--but how do I make this look more professional for the office? Any neat ideas for the bands? I think I will need to keep each band rather tight to keep the look. Does anyone have a neat hair toy for this?

Also--don't laugh--but is this an Angelina Jolie look? I think I read that here somewhere and I do not want to feel silly or cliche :D (I tried to check the web for pictures--but did not find her with the ponytail).

Xandergrammy
January 31st, 2009, 07:35 PM
I think simple black bands would look wonderful with your hair color.

squiggyflop
January 31st, 2009, 07:37 PM
maybe wrap hair around to hide the bands.. and use a topsy tail to re-add the hair to the pony?

DragonLady
January 31st, 2009, 07:46 PM
A hair cinch looks great!

http://www.haircinch.com/index.html

I made my own with 70" of ribbon and a couple dozen beads. I need to redo it, though, as the ribbon I used is just too slippery and it comes undone after a couple of hours. I'll make another one using a velvet ribbon or a leather thong or something that will hold better.

I love using it! It took some time and practise to learn to put it in and make it look real nice, but once it's up the row of beads running down the lenght look awesome.

Carolyn
January 31st, 2009, 07:51 PM
Angelina Jolie wore that style when she was Lara Croft.

squiggyflop
January 31st, 2009, 07:53 PM

I made my own with 70" of ribbon and a couple dozen beads. I need to redo it, though, as the ribbon I used is just too slippery and it comes undone after a couple of hours. I'll make another one using a velvet ribbon or a leather thong or something that will hold better.

I love using it! It took some time and practise to learn to put it in and make it look real nice, but once it's up the row of beads running down the lenght look awesome.
good idea
hmm i thought it was called a hair lacer.. i have instructions on how to make it on my site.. though its really so easy that it doesnt need instructions on making it.. its so difficult to get it into my hair.. i can usually do someone elses though..

DragonLady
January 31st, 2009, 08:06 PM
good idea
hmm i thought it was called a hair lacer.. i have instructions on how to make it on my site.. though its really so easy that it doesnt need instructions on making it.. its so difficult to get it into my hair.. i can usually do someone elses though..

Dunno. I haven't heard it called that. I went looking for a way to braid some leather thongs into a necklace, and found the hair cinch. I thought about it for awhile, then decided to make my own out of a cheap necklace I'd purchased a few months before. It did take practise learning to put it in, and it's not quick to do, but I think the results are well worth it. :)

Chrissy
February 1st, 2009, 03:49 AM
I miss my ponytail!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been doing a lot of whining about cutting my hair lately.:D

Chrissy
February 1st, 2009, 03:52 AM
When my hair grows up I want a cinch!! Very cool.

plainjanegirl
February 1st, 2009, 04:30 AM

That hair cinch looks really neat but I can't spend that much on a hair toy right now.

plainjanegirl
February 1st, 2009, 04:31 AM
good idea

It may be easy to make one but I am craft challenged so I still need directions. What am I doing wrong? I can only view the first 5 minutes of your video and I would love to see all of it.

eadwine
February 1st, 2009, 04:48 AM
We call that a lacer here too. However no, I will not say it is good enough for work. When it rubs against my back due to moving the hair ends can come out and will make a poof ball out of it. I would want something that stays a bit better :)

KatKeRo
February 1st, 2009, 04:51 AM
I don't have a problem to wear a lacer to work.

squiggyflop
February 1st, 2009, 06:53 AM
It may be easy to make one but I am craft challenged so I still need directions. What am I doing wrong? I can only view the first 5 minutes of your video and I would love to see all of it.
um i guess veoh changed the rules making it so only members can see the stuff..um well i cant explain it in writing very well.. veoh is free and it allows you to watch quite a few full length tv shows (actually posted by the networks who own the tv shows so its totally legal).. sorry you could only watch a couple minutes.. i didnt realize that veoh changed their policy..

Demetrue
February 1st, 2009, 10:58 AM
I miss my ponytail!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been doing a lot of whining about cutting my hair lately.:D

Me tooooooo! I keep telling myself 4 more months, just 4 more months (thinking about it a year at a time is just too depressing). I have a beautiful hair cinch with silver beads and purple suede "laces". One day, I will have enough hair to wear it again - sigh.

Gumball
February 1st, 2009, 11:19 AM
um i guess veoh changed the rules making it so only members can see the stuff..um well i cant explain it in writing very well.. veoh is free and it allows you to watch quite a few full length tv shows (actually posted by the networks who own the tv shows so its totally legal).. sorry you could only watch a couple minutes.. i didnt realize that veoh changed their policy..

I think at minimum Veoh just wants to spread some software out there. Their requirements to view the longer videos are that the user installs their web-based video player. Not sure why. It's always possible you could try to whip up some makeshift instructions in a nice little text list kind of way. That could work, too! :)

As for the banded ponytails and niftyfying them up. You could always try different colors, two of them (a la pigtails), try a banded ponytail and bun them up (cinnabun, figure 8, etc.), wrap hair around the bands (although that proved a slight challenge for me when I had to undo it), braid the sections between the bands, do it french style where some of the sections are gathered above the nape of the neck, or any other number of ways that I'm sure can be thought of!

LHGypsyRose
February 1st, 2009, 12:07 PM
Oooo I want one! It just looks to easy to make to spend that kind of money on one, but I probably couldn't make it anyway.

Ponytale
February 1st, 2009, 12:31 PM
Wow--these are great ideas! I may actually have to invest in a topsy tail to make the "hair wraps" easier. I keep trying to do it my way, but maybe that small little device is worth it.

I was not sure about the "lacer"/"cinch" because I thought it might be too lose to keep enough "poof" between the bands. My hair is so fine that it becomes a rather unimpressive flat ponytail after about an hour if the "poof" is not there.

DragonLady
February 1st, 2009, 12:35 PM
Here's how I made mine:

(the first one, which held better, but was harder to use):

I used a length of silk cording that I had purchased years earlier for some other project, and took the beads from a cheap dollar store necklace I'd bought just because I thought the beads were pretty.

I cut the silk cord to twice my hair lenght. Then folded it in the middle, and put both ends through all the beads except the last two. I put those one on each end, and knotted the ends under them.

It was hard to get the first big loop over my hair. I'm kinda all thumbs, so I had trouble holding the hair, getting the loop over it, then holding everything well enough to make the first twist. But, once it was in, it held.

I wore it to work everyday for a while, but the silk cord didn't hold up to the friction of the beads. I think it may have been because it was so old -it was hanging out in my desk for years.

So, I made the second one, with a spool of silky ribbon:

This time, I used another foot of ribbon. So twice my hair length, plus one foot. I doubled it over like before, then put the folded part through a hair elastic, then pulled the ends through the loop so it tightened over the elastic. Once again, I put both ends through the beads, but just one end through each of the last two. I knotted (about three knots to hold) the ribbon under them.

With that version, I make a regular pony tail using the elastic, then I can more easily wrap the hair. When I get near the bottom, I knot the two tails under the last beads that I lace in.

It works. The silky ribbon does come unknotted after a couple of hours, though. And I'm afraid if I knot it up as tightly as I did the ends, I'll never get it unknotted again.

I hope to make a third version one day soon. I'll try to find some velvet ribbon or some kind of smooth cord that will both go through my beads (small holes) and knot nicely. I'm not really fond of leather thongs, as they rot quickly if you use them on wet hair. :(

Also, the next version will be even longer. I still run out of cinch before I run out of hair. :(

Katla
February 1st, 2009, 12:53 PM

Oh, wow... that looks awesome, indeed. I've got to make one of my own! Thank you for posting the instructions, too :)

ZadenWillowfyre
February 1st, 2009, 01:02 PM
ooooo I really love that hair cinch! There has to be a way to make one yourself (or alteast something similar!). I like the idea of wrapping some of the hair around each of the bands!

Coriander
February 1st, 2009, 02:54 PM
Well, now I know what I'm doing my next weekend off from school!

:D

I have a TON of suede lacing and beads left over from when I used to have my dreamcatcher business. Crafty crafty lol. Thanks so much for posting your instructions for how to make them. Much appreciated :)

DragonLady
February 1st, 2009, 03:24 PM
Well, now I know what I'm doing my next weekend off from school!

:D

I have a TON of suede lacing and beads left over from when I used to have my dreamcatcher business. Crafty crafty lol. Thanks so much for posting your instructions for how to make them. Much appreciated :)

Ooh...feathers and fluff??? That might be cool, if you can figure out a way to afix them to the beads without stopping them from sliding.

You're all very welcome for the instructions, and I hope they work for you. If you do make one, why not post some pictures? I'll try to get DH to snap a pic of me wearing mine when he has a chance.

DragonLady
February 3rd, 2009, 08:06 PM
Well, I finally have an "action shot". I put it in real quickly, so it's kinda sloppy, but you can see what it looks like when it's all laced up. :)

http://artisanssquare.com/personal/beaded_cinch.jpg

Coriander
February 3rd, 2009, 08:12 PM
DragonLady, I love it!!! It's really fun but elegant at the same time, and it seems to contain all of your lovely hair without problems.

I will write this on my to-do list lol

xeternalsilence
February 3rd, 2009, 08:23 PM
DragonLady, I'm definitely making one of those.
Thanks! :D

plainjanegirl
February 3rd, 2009, 08:36 PM
I am not sure yet if I can manage to make one but I found a site online where they sell them for $5.
So when you take your hair out does it leave the kinks like a regular ponytail?

DragonLady
February 3rd, 2009, 08:42 PM
No, it doesn't leave any kinks. And I'm sure I made mine for about $5.00, so if you don't want the hassle of making it, that seems like a great price.

Also, if you want that "puffy" look of the multi-band ponytail, you can get by with a shorter cinch and fewer beads. Just don't wrap it up as much. I was working in a busy bar/restaurant with a thousand things to catch my hair on (or dip it in), so I made mine to completely contain it. That won't be necessary if you're in a less hectic environment.

And, thanks for the compliments. I get a LOT of compliments on it when I wear it around town. Everyone thinks it's very unique and several people have asked where I got it. Also, I like that it goes well with either my blue jeans or my dressier clothes. :)

DragonLady
February 3rd, 2009, 08:43 PM
So when you take your hair out does it leave the kinks like a regular ponytail?

Sorry, I was thinking about braid waves. Yes, it does leave the kink up where the band sits, and once in awhile it leaves a couple along the length when I first take it out. But, for me just a good combing will make it all look smooth again.

DragonLady
February 3rd, 2009, 08:48 PM
One more thought -if you do make one, be sure when you take it out that you do it the reverse of the way you put it in. One bead at a time, up from the bottom. Otherwise, it will wreak havoc on your hair. Just go slowly, and take it out gently. I haven't had any problem with breakage when I've been slow and gentle with it.

Ponytale
February 4th, 2009, 04:51 PM
That is lovely! Thank you so much for the picture Dragonlady!

krissyam
February 6th, 2009, 10:47 PM
I am not sure yet if I can manage to make one but I found a site online where they sell them for $5.
Would you mind telling me where you found them online? I love the look but haven't had much luck finding one at a good price online (and I have to buy one, as I'm the world's worst craftsperson). I can't justify spending so much for the "Hair Cinch" brand- after all, it is just leather cord, and beads. :) Would have PM'd you, but I don't yet have full privileges in this forum.

plainjanegirl
February 7th, 2009, 06:46 AM
Would you mind telling me where you found them online? I love the look but haven't had much luck finding one at a good price online (and I have to buy one, as I'm the world's worst craftsperson). I can't justify spending so much for the "Hair Cinch" brand- after all, it is just leather cord, and beads. :) Would have PM'd you, but I don't yet have full privileges in this forum.

http://www.contentisqueen.com/hairlacers/
When I found the site she didn't have pics up so I called her to get more info and then a few days later she posted pics.

DragonLady
February 7th, 2009, 03:10 PM
http://www.contentisqueen.com/hairlacers/
When I found the site she didn't have pics up so I called her to get more info and then a few days later she posted pics.

I took a quick peak, thinking I might buy another at that price. But honestly, you can make a much prettier one for about the same amount.

Just keep your eyes open for some pretty beads with fairly large holes, and some cording with a bit of grab or velvet-type ribbon.

Honestly, even the most craft-challenged should be able to make one. It really is very easy, and even with my 20-beads-with-tiny-holes version, it takes less than an hour.

carloota
February 7th, 2009, 04:34 PM
:hmm: I wonder if one could make their own "cinch" using hemp cord.

DragonLady
February 7th, 2009, 05:01 PM

I thought about trying that, but I think it would be awful rough on your hair. I think something smoother is a better idea.

But if you try it, let me know how it turns out. I have several rolls of it somewhere in the house, and would love to find a new use for it. :)

carloota
February 8th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Is hemp more rough than leather? I think I will try this with hemp cord, since that's what I have handy. I just have to buy some beads. In fact, I think I'll go now to buy them. :D

KatKeRo
February 8th, 2009, 01:46 PM
I made my first one with colored hempcord. Unfortunatly the color bled of the cord into my hair.

plainjanegirl
February 8th, 2009, 03:32 PM
I got the stuff and tried making one today, but i messed up. How do I know how much I need for my length? It ended up being too short for my ponytail. Also how many beads should I use, I don't wanna use too many. Thanks for any help. If I eventually get one accomplished I will post a pic, but it will be plain cause my local store doesnt have much of a selection of beads and such.

DragonLady
February 8th, 2009, 05:15 PM
I got the stuff and tried making one today, but i messed up. How do I know how much I need for my length? It ended up being too short for my ponytail. Also how many beads should I use, I don't wanna use too many. Thanks for any help. If I eventually get one accomplished I will post a pic, but it will be plain cause my local store doesnt have much of a selection of beads and such.

My current version is twice my hair length, plus one foot. If you don't want too many beads, try about ten to start with. You can always add more, and you can always shorten the cord if it's too long once you've tried it on a couple of times. :)

carloota
February 15th, 2009, 02:35 PM
I made my first one with colored hempcord. Unfortunatly the color bled of the cord into my hair.

I don't think my hemp cord is colored and since my hair is so dark, hopefully I won't have this problem. Oh, and I finally bought buttons. I know people have used beads for this, but 1. I didn't know where to find the beads at the fabric store and 2. I really liked the buttons. Don't worry, I will post pics soon.

MadPirateBippy
February 22nd, 2009, 08:17 PM
Well, if you are not cinching it, one thing you could do to spice up the ponytail with rubber bands is rope braid it between sections- it's super easy to do once you have the hang of it and it looks very elegant!

DragonLady
February 23rd, 2009, 12:48 AM
I don't think my hemp cord is colored and since my hair is so dark, hopefully I won't have this problem. Oh, and I finally bought buttons. I know people have used beads for this, but 1. I didn't know where to find the beads at the fabric store and 2. I really liked the buttons. Don't worry, I will post pics soon.

Yes; do post pics if you try that. I was thinking about trying one with buttons. I went through my collection and found about a dozen mis-matched brass-toned ones that I think might work. But I'll have to buy more cord or something. I thought I had a bunch of hemp cords that DD used to use for friendship bracelets, but apparently I either threw it out or hid it real well. :(

carloota
February 23rd, 2009, 07:24 PM
Well, just my luck!:mad: Of course, now that I have the buttons, I can't find the hemp cord. This is what happens when I try to be organized. I put things away so well that I can never find them again.

Nevermore
February 24th, 2009, 01:12 AM
You could use elastics with decorations on them, like so: http://blogs.hairboutique.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/ep265carisponywrap896black_150h.jpg or hair bobbles: http://www.chicaandjo.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/hair_tie_shoelaces_2.jpg It's 2 am here, so I didn't have much uumph to go looking for classier ones, but the dollar store, walmart and target all sell much nicer/classier versions of the above.