PDA

View Full Version : Fabric conditioner as hair conditioner

soleluna
March 28th, 2008, 04:36 PM
People on the Italian long hair forum I go to are using this (http://www.hederanatur.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=55_50&products_id=1212&osCsid=c2166445be7d554e82e69ee0234f13a5)as a hair conditioner... because they say it works pretty well and the ingredients are all 'green'.
This are the ingredients:
BIS ACYLOXYETHYNYL
HYDROXYETHILMETHILAMMONIUM METHOSULPHATE ESTERQUAT
PARFUM
CITRIC ACID

I tried it tonight and seems to work like magic. I will let you know when my hair is dry and in a couple of days!! Any of you have tried anything similar?

Islandgrrl
March 28th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Hmmmm.... I've rubbed Bounce unscented dryer sheets on my hair on occasion, but I've never used a liquid fabric softener on my hair.

I'll be interested to see how this works for you!

soleluna
March 28th, 2008, 04:43 PM
I'll let you know! To use, I just put some in my hand and put it on the ends/length, as needed. I combed it through like I do with regular conditioner, and then let it sit for 10/15 mins. I rinsed. And that was it :p

Kallisti
March 28th, 2008, 05:13 PM
How interesting! I'm interested in how well it works too. I never would have thought of that.

Shermie Girl
March 28th, 2008, 05:30 PM
I read about using fabric softener as conditioner in some beauty book I have floating around here, somewhere. I have never tried it but I might, in a pinch. :)

rubyann
March 28th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Interesting idea. I would like to see your result with this as well. Keep us informed, please.

carloota
March 28th, 2008, 09:52 PM
I tried it once on mine and DD's hair. But, I it left my hair dry and DD's hair attracted lots of lint.

Wanderer09
March 28th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Hmm...I might try this. ;)

Mahars
March 28th, 2008, 09:55 PM
I read on another board that HYDROXYETHILMETHILAMMONIUM METHOSULPHATE ESTERQUAT is very similar to behentrimonium methosulphate - an ingredient found in lots of conditioners. I don't know where the poster got her sources, but she said the stuff makes the hair very soft but ultimately very weak and thin with extended use. It may be total bunk, but I stay away from it just in case.

freznow
March 28th, 2008, 09:57 PM
I've read something about how fabric softener weakens the fabrics in the cloth when you wash, which is one reason why a lot of people don't use it, and why I would stay away from it.

If I have time I'll google and find some sources for this...

ETA: Wowsers, google has produced a lot of pages saying that the chemicals are toxic and carcinogenic. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Fabric_softener#Risk_Page check the links at the bottom of the page. I don't know if they're true, a lot of the time some things are hyperbolic, and similar things are likely in conditioner...

cuddledumplin
March 28th, 2008, 10:15 PM
I've used fabric conditioner (I think it was Comfort) diluted with about 50% water in a spray bottle as a leave-in, and it was very good (especially for frizz).

MotherConfessor
March 28th, 2008, 10:51 PM
I groom dogs and we use fabric softener to rinse their coats and get rid of the static that holds the dead hair in....

TessieAnn
March 28th, 2008, 11:14 PM
I guess I don't understand why one would put a laundry product on her hair when there are so many conditioners specifically made for hair and many natural, edible products from the kitchen and herb garden to play with. Yes, some are better than others. And it's fun to experiment. But?????

soleluna
March 29th, 2008, 01:09 AM
The reason is that it is hard to find a good conditioner without cones and without red ingredientents (red meaning harmful for people/hair/the environment) which actually works for hair. This product is from a biologic organic company, and should be better for hair that a normal conditioner.

As for results: hair is tangle free, soft, bouncy! I fully approve it!

soleluna
March 29th, 2008, 01:12 AM
I've read something about how fabric softener weakens the fabrics in the cloth when you wash, which is one reason why a lot of people don't use it, and why I would stay away from it.

If I have time I'll google and find some sources for this...

ETA: Wowsers, google has produced a lot of pages saying that the chemicals are toxic and carcinogenic. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Fabric_softener#Risk_Page check the links at the bottom of the page. I don't know if they're true, a lot of the time some things are hyperbolic, and similar things are likely in conditioner...

Thank you! but the ingredients found in this fabric softener (which are the ONLY ones it contains) are not hazardous. At least not that I can see.