PDA

View Full Version : For a person trying to grow long hair, tips

Michiru
January 31st, 2009, 03:55 PM
I found this while looking on city-data. Lots of the information is fairly good, wash hair less, don't brush, ect. But some of them I thought were kind of humorous after being on this site so long. Especially the cosmetology student.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/fashion-beauty/546384-trying-grow-my-hair-long-again.html

Ether_Drive
January 31st, 2009, 04:15 PM
Hahaha "stand on your head everyday"...but otherwise pretty decent info, I knew most of it already. But very helpful to those who need to know the bare minimum!

Xandergrammy
January 31st, 2009, 04:17 PM
It figures that the cosmetology student has the funniest ideas!! (I mean no offense to cosmetology students) :gabigrin:

LawyerGirl
January 31st, 2009, 04:24 PM
This may sound like a ridiculous question... but is it possible to "clog things up" with oils applied directly to the scalp?

DragonLady
January 31st, 2009, 06:03 PM
This may sound like a ridiculous question... but is it possible to "clog things up" with oils applied directly to the scalp?

I sincerly doubt it. Sebum and sweat is always leaving your skin, and I would think that would push out anything that would cause 'clogs'.

GlassEyes
January 31st, 2009, 06:22 PM
I sincerly doubt it. Sebum and sweat is always leaving your skin, and I would think that would push out anything that would cause 'clogs'.

Actually, it is possible, and results in scalp break-outs.

However, these haven't been proven to inhibit hair growth at all. Someone on here once posted studies to prove much the same, but I can't remember who or where they were. xD

Sissy
January 31st, 2009, 06:27 PM
for the most part decent suggestions :) Thanks for sharing.

Beatnik Guy
January 31st, 2009, 06:37 PM
She would be kidding, right...? :ponder:

What I learned in cosmetology was you have to cut it at least once every eight weeks but every six weeks is better. The splitting moves up the shaft of the hair and makes it take longer to grow long b'c it breaks off. 1/4 inch every six to eight weeks will get it to grow faster than if you didn't cut it at all. It sure works for me.

:rollin:

ChloeDharma
January 31st, 2009, 10:17 PM
The cosmetology student would irritate me intensely.

Heidi_234
February 1st, 2009, 12:33 AM

That's the wife's tale the hairdressers always told me.
I believed them.
I grew my hair from APL to BSL for years because of that.
NOT funny!

rymorg2
February 1st, 2009, 03:45 AM

Nope, that is what I learned in school too, though I knew I wouldn't ascribe to it, even after school. I don't either....I tell my clients that if their ends feel crunchy and tangle, come in to get a trim. If they don't, then don't!

Sissy
February 1st, 2009, 01:14 PM
I tell my clients that if their ends feel crunchy and tangle, come in to get a trim. If they don't, then don't!

I think that yours is a very good philosophy for a hairdresser to have!:)

Coriander
February 1st, 2009, 01:21 PM
*heads off to stand on my head*

:laugh:

I have found that the more I trim the less it grows... perhaps the scissors weren't sharp enough (bought new ones for S&D), so the trimming every six weeks was a little much, I thought, IMHO.

Linda K
February 1st, 2009, 01:27 PM
That's what I've always heard about the Petro based products in skin care. No idea what it would do to the scalp!

Nope, that is what I learned in school too, though I knew I wouldn't ascribe to it, even after school. I don't either....I tell my clients that if their ends feel crunchy and tangle, come in to get a trim. If they don't, then don't!

Tho I did gain some following this (back in Vo-tech), I like your idea better! That puts me at 7 weeks! :D I'm told I don't really have much in splits - yet! Just something like 'build up' causing 'catches' near the ends. Oh! Is that what is meant by Velcro ends? :hmm:

rymorg2
February 1st, 2009, 04:32 PM
Tho I did gain some following this (back in Vo-tech), I like your idea better! That puts me at 7 weeks! :D I'm told I don't really have much in splits - yet! Just something like 'build up' causing 'catches' near the ends. Oh! Is that what is meant by Velcro ends? :hmm:

Yep, that's exactly what's meant by velcro ends. LOL....build up will do that. When you get crunchy velcro ends try clarifying first and see if that helps.

rymorg2
February 1st, 2009, 04:32 PM
I think that yours is a very good philosophy for a hairdresser to have!:)

Why thank you sissy! :D

suicides_eve
February 1st, 2009, 05:29 PM
lol thats some good stuff on there;)