PDA

View Full Version : Worried that your braids are messy?

Kuchen
January 31st, 2009, 11:04 AM
Fear not, apparently it's a hot look for Spring/Summer 2009. See Vogue (http://www.vogue.co.uk/beauty/fashion-trends/090115-its-a-plait.aspx) for details...

I enjoy fashion, but sometimes fashion copy cracks me up :p

BlndeInDisguise
January 31st, 2009, 11:16 AM
In my opinion, that looks horrible, though I can't really say that my braiding skills are much better! :p I can't imagine purposely making my braid look that way, though.

Euphony
January 31st, 2009, 11:16 AM
Wow, I'm in fashion! Actually maybe I'm not - my braids look neater than that <sigh>

This sure caught my eye though! (http://www.vogue.co.uk/beauty/fashion-trends/081022-karl-lagerfeld.aspx)

NurseMama
January 31st, 2009, 11:21 AM
That is just so unattractive. Pfft.

Kuchen
January 31st, 2009, 11:21 AM
Wow, I'm in fashion! Actually maybe I'm not - my braids look neater than that <sigh>

This sure caught my eye though! (http://www.vogue.co.uk/beauty/fashion-trends/081022-karl-lagerfeld.aspx)

Now that is a bun cover :bigeyes:

Electronika
January 31st, 2009, 11:25 AM
That is what my braid looks like at the end of a very stressful day!

Xi
January 31st, 2009, 11:47 AM
"...running through the woods for three days and how the hair would look after that."
:rollin:
I hate to break it to the fashionable world, but... my braids look better than that after running through the woods (i.e., canoeing through the woods) for three days! And I am by no means a skilled braider.

Copasetic
January 31st, 2009, 11:51 AM
My braids always look crazy. Now I can just say I was ahead of my time. A trend-setter even.

smilinjenn71
January 31st, 2009, 11:54 AM
My braids always look crazy. Now I can just say I was ahead of my time. A trend-setter even.

:rollin:I love it!

Katla
January 31st, 2009, 11:57 AM
A braid like that would drive me bonkers :p I'd last about two minutes before I caved and redid the thing to make it look nice and smooth and symmetric.

Hypatia
January 31st, 2009, 11:59 AM
That is hilarious! My mother and I are always taking each others braids out after an hour or so and slicking them back down! This is more like my braids look after I've spent a night tossing and turning on them!

AJoifulNoise
January 31st, 2009, 12:01 PM
A braid like that would drive me bonkers :p I'd last about two minutes before I caved and redid the thing to make it look nice and smooth and symmetric.

Agreed. I get twitchy when just one small tuft of hair escapes.

gdimoonbeam
January 31st, 2009, 12:01 PM
My sleep braid looks all fuzzy and bad in the morning.........gee, does this mean I don't have to take it down before going to work? :cheese:

Periwinkle
January 31st, 2009, 12:02 PM
That's what my braid looks like in the mornings, and you'd have to pay me serious amounts of money to go out looking like that!

(Then again, this is a high-fashion look that I can achieve!)

carloota
January 31st, 2009, 12:04 PM

This caught my eye also. Back to the topic: Thanks to the article the OP linked, I won't have to undo my braid until Fall '09. ;)

DragonLady
January 31st, 2009, 12:17 PM

were gripped into the hair with kirbies

What are kirbies? I think the bun cover itself would be home-make-able, but fastening it might take some ingenuity.

Eden Iris
January 31st, 2009, 12:18 PM
Oh, hee! Now when my hair gets all unkempt in the afternoon, I can think of it as evidence that I am on my journey.

Off to run through the woods for three days, or hang out with my kids for an hour, same thing.

Tabitha
January 31st, 2009, 12:24 PM
What are kirbies?

Kirby grips - our UK term for what I think you call "bobby pins" (http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.wikihow.com/images/thumb/1/1d/Bobby_pin_143.jpg/250px-Bobby_pin_143.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.wikihow.com/Use-a-Bobby-Pin&usg=__7R_TdODAjeEYZL7cHq1algbjt8A=&h=81&w=250&sz=3&hl=en&start=2&um=1&tbnid=BFQM8pEzYY35GM:&tbnh=36&tbnw=111&prev=/images&#37;3Fq%3DKIRBY%2BGRIP%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26saf e%3Doff%26rls%3DGGGL,GGGL:2006-42,GGGL:en%26sa%3DN)

spidermom
January 31st, 2009, 12:24 PM
Whoo-hoo; I'm finally in style. My braids start out neat and even, but I've got so many shorter hairs and such slithery hairs that my braids look just like that Vogue picture or worse in a very short amount of time.

Themyst
January 31st, 2009, 12:27 PM
Whenever I see such a ridiculous display I cannot help but think, "The emperor has no clothes!"

I'd really like to know what these 'designers' are thinking - I'm sure some actually believe in their 'creations' - but surely, there must be those who just know the public is gullible.

DragonLady
January 31st, 2009, 12:45 PM
Kirby grips - our UK term for what I think you call "bobby pins" (http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.wikihow.com/images/thumb/1/1d/Bobby_pin_143.jpg/250px-Bobby_pin_143.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.wikihow.com/Use-a-Bobby-Pin&usg=__7R_TdODAjeEYZL7cHq1algbjt8A=&h=81&w=250&sz=3&hl=en&start=2&um=1&tbnid=BFQM8pEzYY35GM:&tbnh=36&tbnw=111&prev=/images%3Fq%3DKIRBY%2BGRIP%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26saf e%3Doff%26rls%3DGGGL,GGGL:2006-42,GGGL:en%26sa%3DN)

Thanks! :)

Jostar
January 31st, 2009, 12:47 PM
How do they do that - its like twisty and braided? Interesting.

My french braids always end up looking like that at the bit where my head ends and my neck starts. No matter what I do with them, I always end up looking like i've spent three days at a music festival. Probably because I have......

Darkhorse1
January 31st, 2009, 01:58 PM
HAHAHA. Ok, sorry, but the comments to that braid are making me laugh..that's how my braid looks after I'm done riding/taken my helmet off. :D Not as messy, but pretty close on some days. :D

vampodrama
January 31st, 2009, 02:27 PM
I'm clearly the minority but I really liked that.

there are two reasons for that though, I'm afraid - one is that I'm a secret haute couture junkie and two is that my inner Siouxie sometimes really raises her big-gothy-haired head....

Carolyn
January 31st, 2009, 02:35 PM
I'm in the minority but I like it. It's not just a messy, slept in braid. It has some cool twisty things going on. I'd have no problem going out in that braid :p

Silver & Gold
January 31st, 2009, 03:44 PM

Aha! I admired this too!

getoffmyskittle
January 31st, 2009, 04:05 PM
:lol: My braids look just like that after not such a very long time. :grin:

Xandergrammy
January 31st, 2009, 04:10 PM

You took the words right out of my mouth, Copasetic!! :rollin:

viking_quest
January 31st, 2009, 04:11 PM
Even my messy braids look better than that and my braids in the morning after I've slept in them are much neater than that.

lorig713
January 31st, 2009, 08:23 PM
I would not leave the house with my braid that messy! :silly:

may1em
January 31st, 2009, 08:36 PM

I liked that one, too!

intothemist1999
January 31st, 2009, 08:59 PM
Whenever I see such a ridiculous display I cannot help but think, "The emperor has no clothes!"

I'd really like to know what these 'designers' are thinking - I'm sure some actually believe in their 'creations' - but surely, there must be those who just know the public is gullible.

They'll go season after season trying to "create" something new out of desperation (they DO have to justify their position, after all). They will do *anything* regardless of how stupid it looks. Make it an art installation, sure, but not for the masses to wear! Let's face it, it's all been done, and nope, I love doilies, but I just ain't wearing one! :D

atlantaz3
January 31st, 2009, 09:02 PM
I guess I'll just sleep on my french braid and then go to work.

sapphire-o
January 31st, 2009, 10:55 PM
I like that braid. It's beginner-friendly. :) Think about it: if you hardly know how to braid and strands keep slipping out and you miss some parts and get it jumbled up, it's still gonna be all fashionable. :D

feralnature
January 31st, 2009, 11:06 PM
Well, I DO live in the woods and my braids DO look like that and it doesn't even take 3 days :)

Juneii
January 31st, 2009, 11:12 PM
mm.... yeah, I don't think I'll be sporting something like THAT. I like the idea of a loose plait but the uneven braid and messiness makes my eyes itch >__<

honestly I don't like any of the styles except for the "Angel Dust" all the other ones are too dramatic... in the wrong way.

Elenna
January 31st, 2009, 11:24 PM
After finally figuring out how to French Braid, I was so pleased until I realized that my braid looked like a disaster area!

Masara
February 1st, 2009, 01:11 AM
If I tried to do that it would stay in for about 30 seconds. I can't do loose and messy. First it drives me mad and second my hair just falls straight out of anything like that. It has to be held very firmly if I want it to stay in all day.

Debra83
February 1st, 2009, 01:47 AM
http://www.condenast.co.uk/imagelib/240x360/g_j/GilesHair_18sept08_b.jpg

This one is good to know too, just in case you sleep in sometimes like me and are in a BIG hurry! No need to find the comb!!!

Debra83
February 1st, 2009, 01:51 AM
and nope, I love doilies, but I just ain't wearing one! :D

........:rollin:.......

MsHelena
February 1st, 2009, 02:14 AM
Honestly, that looks better than the best braid that I can do. There is a reason why I never leave the house with my hair plaited.

eadwine
February 1st, 2009, 03:53 AM
*looks at braid, looks at own braid* Yeah, that is mine.

I wonder if the models had to sleep on the braids or if they achieved the look manually :lol:

Sleeping on it is cheaper! :lol:

Calanthe
February 1st, 2009, 04:17 AM
Hey, great - finally a braid even I can do...:D. I guess not. Wouldn't leave the house with a braid like that.

Lady Verity
February 1st, 2009, 04:23 AM
Fantastic! My chronic laziness and ineptitude are now the height of chic.

Bene
February 1st, 2009, 04:46 AM
wow.... crazy baglady chic really doesn't do it for me :\

Kuchen
February 1st, 2009, 05:01 AM
It's not a sleep braid, it's... directional.

Unzadi
February 1st, 2009, 08:51 AM
::blinks:: So you're saying I've been a fashion forerunner all winter long? My braids tend to look better once they've loosened/settled a bit, so umm, yeah, I'm in fashion if that's any indication.

Johanna64
February 1st, 2009, 09:19 AM
Even my braid looks better in the morning ;)

Mely
February 1st, 2009, 03:41 PM

This one is good to know too, just in case you sleep in sometimes like me and are in a BIG hurry! No need to find the comb!!!

Oh my. Surely no one would make their hair look like that on purpose.

And that braid :p... maybe I can get a job fixing hair for fashion models because my French braids turn out just like that.

freznow
February 2nd, 2009, 01:31 PM
Sometimes I wear my sleep braids out, they're never all that bad. However, I would never dream of intentionally making something look unkempt. If it comes out that way despite my efforts, fine! But there's no way that braid would last without bothering me to death or just slipping out and not looking the same.

lora410
February 2nd, 2009, 01:48 PM
I agree, it looks awful. Fashion is so messed up at times :rolleyes:

berr
February 2nd, 2009, 01:50 PM
So does this mean I can just get out of bed and run with it?

dorothea-brooke
February 2nd, 2009, 01:54 PM
Wow -- there's no way my I could force myself out of the house like that....

For Pete's sake, I'll stand in the bathroom and re-braid my hair 5 times to get rid of (the largely imaginary) kink in my braid that happens when I switch the thing over my shoulder. I probably re-braid my hair 3 times throughout the day, too, when it starts to get messy.

I just don't see this happening for me. :laugh:

kwaniesiam
February 2nd, 2009, 01:59 PM
:rolleyes: I don't even want to think about how much effort they put in to it to get it to look like...

My braids are neat, they get a little fuzzy over the course of the day but that's normal, its what my hair does. No thanks, I'll stick with neat french braids and bear with the fuzz, but never try to make it that way.

kwaniesiam
February 2nd, 2009, 02:01 PM

:agape: No one's makeup should wing out that much unless you are Jareth the Goblin King. Egads!

MemSahib
February 2nd, 2009, 04:31 PM
Look at it this way: all you people who absolutely cannot learn to braid neatly now have super job openings doing hair for models in the high-fashion industry. :D

Delilah
February 2nd, 2009, 09:47 PM
My braid looks something like that when I wake up.

flapjack
February 2nd, 2009, 10:00 PM
Man, I can't even get mine to look like that after a horrible night's sleep. I faiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiil!

I don't know what is more ridiculous, the picture or the way they describe it, hahaha.

karenpetal
February 2nd, 2009, 10:06 PM
I am not a fan of messy braids - I prefer mine to be smooth and sleek

http://www.vogue.co.uk/beauty/fashion-trends/080916-ppq.aspx

This was one which caught my eye

rapunzhell13
February 2nd, 2009, 11:11 PM
I think it's a bit over the top, but I still quite like it actually.

goldenwaves
February 2nd, 2009, 11:26 PM
I'm going to go against the crowd here and say that I like it. I can't stand my hair looking too neat, and love it a bit messy and wild :). Maybe it's an adolescent thing??

vindo
February 2nd, 2009, 11:26 PM
I could only get my braid to look like that if I rubbbed my hair with a brillo pad...:rolleyes: so not an option ...

look like girls had started a journey with an immaculate, groomed style, but then to imagine they have been running through the woods for three days and how the hair would look after that."

Someone that imagines girls running through the woods for three days is a little weird IMO..<_<

Moldilocks
February 2nd, 2009, 11:28 PM
I love it! That is how my braid looks the next morning. Does this mean I can wear my bed head look the whole next day? :eyebrows:

Drynwhyl
February 3rd, 2009, 07:57 AM
Huge fishtail plaits
oh, they don't have a clue what's huge :D

It's a bit pathetic if they actually tried for that look. Just leave your hair alone, it will do the work :D

elbow chic
February 3rd, 2009, 07:58 AM
oh, my lord, that is truly hilarious.

Well, I guess haute fashion is like art-- if you belong to the right crowd and can come up with a sufficiently stylish explanation, you can create total junk and still wind up featured in the big fancy publications.

But woe betide the overweight hassled matron who appears in such braids at the local Wal-Mart! :p

florenonite
February 3rd, 2009, 11:33 AM
"...running through the woods for three days and how the hair would look after that."
:rollin:
I hate to break it to the fashionable world, but... my braids look better than that after running through the woods (i.e., canoeing through the woods) for three days! And I am by no means a skilled braider.

I think the longest I've gone canoeing through the woods without unbraiding my hair was a week, and it was still neater than that!

They always get it wrong in films, too. Either the heroine can have her hip-length hair loose and it never tangles or gets in her way, or else she has it in a plait and the plait gets messy very easily.

oh, my lord, that is truly hilarious.

Well, I guess haute fashion is like art-- if you belong to the right crowd and can come up with a sufficiently stylish explanation, you can create total junk and still wind up featured in the big fancy publications.

But woe betide the overweight hassled matron who appears in such braids at the local Wal-Mart! :p

HAHAHA, it's true! The explanation of it is the important bit :silly:

And it's true! It's accepted on the catwalk, and on girls with model-looks who can afford expensive clothes, but no one else would be allowed to wear their hair like that!

Heavenly Locks
February 7th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Oh yuck! Why even bother? It just looks terribly sloppy...what's next? Pit stains!?

going gray
February 7th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Looks like a big mess to me, whatever Vogue does is considered "high fashion"!

LittleOrca
February 7th, 2009, 02:12 PM
It looks like she does not even care about her hair! There is being casual and relaxed, and then there is being sloppy, and I think that look is defiantly the ladder. Can you imagine going to a fancy place for dinner and seeing a messy braid like that? "Oh! But Vogue said it was good!"

Are they tired of thinking up new ways for men and women to torture themselves to fit into the mythical norm that we should all look like? I'd hope so, but this is a little to far to the other side of the spectrum.

In my opinion, most of the High-fashion world can go take a hike. The only thing I have gotten out of listening to things like that is low self esteem and the desire to go sit in the emo corner for a week or five.

It is amusing though, how many hair styles will now be "high fashion" just rolling out of bed.

Demetrue
February 7th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Exactly why are these girls running through the woods for 3 days? I find that part really disturbing, actually.

Themyst
February 7th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Exactly why are these girls running through the woods for 3 days? I find that part really disturbing, actually.

They're running away from the high-fashion hair designers :D

CaityBear
February 7th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Heh, that's my braid after I sleep in it! lol I don't think I could purposely braid my hair like that. I'm a perfectionist when I braid my hair. haha

Curlsgirl
February 7th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Psssssssssst, do they know that it just looks like someone who doesn't know how to braid? Heh heh

I do like messy braids but only the part where the hair is sort of loose and fuzzy. I don't like it where it clearly looks like someone did NOT know what they were doing even to start with! UGH!:rolleyes:

Noctifer
February 8th, 2009, 02:13 AM
My braids can be messy but usully not that messy, not even if i sleep on them.

Silverlox
February 8th, 2009, 02:34 AM
Oh, but you lot just don't seem to understand the work that went into this.. :shake:

The online newspaper I read had a section of hairstyle how-to's and this very braid was one of the looks you could learn to achieve "in just umpteen easy steps".
You just wouldn't believe the amount of product, heat styling, back-combing and whatnot that went into that poor, sloppy braid!:scared: