PDA

View Full Version : Do you prevent, or fix?

PurpleAshes
January 30th, 2009, 01:32 PM
I'm curious because I've read a couple of times around here that you shouldn't have a "routine" with DT'S and such, but to use them when your hair needs them.

I, on the other hand, have this things scheduled: I do a moisture treatment the 2nd week of the month, a protein treatment the 4th week, and vinegar rinses the 1st and 3rd week.
I feel that this way, I'm preventing any problem that may arise with my hair. I've doing this for 4 months, and my hair has liked it so far.

How about you?

ETA: When I say fix, I dont mean fixing damage, but dryness, over moisture and overprotein :)

Aisha25
January 30th, 2009, 01:34 PM
I do moisture and protien treatments everytime I wash. Its whatever your hair likes no one can say you not to:)

Forever_Sophie
January 30th, 2009, 01:39 PM
I think if something works for you, don't question it! I've got clarifying shampoos worked into my routine and use thicker conditioners all the time. I don't really believe in "fixing" hair problems for the most part (i.e. "split end menders"). Like you, I'd rather just keep it in good shape :)

Euphony
January 30th, 2009, 01:40 PM
I prevent since you can't fix damage hair, all that can be done is to mask it or cut it off.

Having said that, I do not have a routine such as the OP does. Whenever my hair feels a bit dry I do a heavy oiling. I wash with nearly synthetic free hair soap and rinse with citric acid. I wear my hair up 90% of the time. Doing these things prevents damage.

PurpleAshes
January 30th, 2009, 01:43 PM
I prevent since you can't fix damage hair, all that can be done is to mask it or cut it off.

Having said that, I do not have a routine such as the OP does. Whenever my hair feels a bit dry I do a heavy oiling. I wash with nearly synthetic free hair soap and rinse with citric acid. I wear my hair up 90% of the time. Doing these things prevents damage.

When I say fix, I don't mean fixing damage, but dryness, or overmoisture, or overprotein. Sorry that I didn't specify :o

ETA: So my routine is concentrated in avoiding these things :)

Periwinkle
January 30th, 2009, 01:43 PM
I tend to just feel my way along in the dark. I don't have damage apart from mechanical damage from brushing and such, which isn't severe at all (and is coming off anyway because I have layers). I take good care of my hair and do deep treatments and stuff when it feels like it needs them; seems to work okay for me.

Euphony
January 30th, 2009, 01:48 PM
When I say fix, I don't mean fixing damage, but dryness, or overmoisture, or overprotein. Sorry that I didn't specify :o

ETA: So my routine is concentrated in avoiding these things :)Ahhhh gotcha.

So to answer then, I'd say yes and no :D Most of the things I do prevent dryness, but occasionally it does get too dry, then I do something more drastic :wink:

AJoifulNoise
January 30th, 2009, 04:14 PM
I haven't found a deep treatment that works for my hair. They tend to just make matters worse, if you'd believe it. So, I try something every now and then. I think oiling with coconut oil helps me more than anything else.

A'eorryn
January 30th, 2009, 04:55 PM
This is a little tricky - to my mind - based on the context of the question. I'd have to say both, because while prevention is certainly the best course, the issues listed as examples (for example ;)) are generally CAUSED by the products used - I mean, does anyone have hair that is naturally overproteined or over-moisturized (unless you mean oily, which I figure is different)? I think much of this is INFLICTED by product use, in which case it doesn't qualify as prevention OR fixing (obviously :p). Now, if it's just how your hair naturally is - like dryness not caused by using drying products - same as naturally oily/dry skin, then of course the only thing you CAN do is treat to fix, whereas prevention means not inflicting these problems on yourself. At least that's how I am interpreting the OP - don't make a problem you then have to attempt to counteract, that's just self-defeating :)

~A'eorryn

PurpleAshes
January 30th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Oh wow, thats deep, it hadn't ocurred to me! Hehehe.
But yeah, you do have a point. I could self-inflict this problems just by trying to avoid them. This is why I try to avoid everything: I think the moisture and protein treatments would cause some sort of equilibrium - the moisture fighting a possible protein load, and the protein fighting a possible moisture load - And the vinegar added in, just to avoid build up from both.

So far, it hasn't caused any issue, but if it does, I guess I'll have to modify my routine:).

kwaniesiam
January 30th, 2009, 05:38 PM
I fix. My routine is benign neglect right now, I wash when it needs it (usually every morning), sometimes put it up...rarely oil now since its short but I will when I determine it needs it. If it feels dry, I'll condition or add a bit of overnight coconut oil, maybe do an SMT but otherwise just let it go. My hair will tell me when it needs something and I *usually* listen :rolleyes:

Obviously though, I prevent major damage from avoiding excessive use of heat tools, only blowdrying on cold, and being careful about detangling.

tiny_teesha
January 30th, 2009, 07:35 PM
My hair normally hints when it needs something. So i respond as it asks...or as i feel really. :)