PDA

View Full Version : 3 strand fishbonebraid

Phalaenopsis
January 30th, 2009, 10:50 AM
This braid looks similar to an usual 5-strand, but it's flatter and can be thightened better, so it's less wide.
It's done by the principle of passing on strands to the next strand, as in a fishbone.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a6/naturalgirl/01_29_2.jpg

What do you guys and girls think? Does this braid already exist by the way?

Isilya
January 30th, 2009, 11:01 AM
It looks great, well done! But I can't quite seem to grasp how a 3-strand fishbone can look like 5-strand braid. I'll have to try that before I'll catch on :)

Johanna64
January 30th, 2009, 11:22 AM
What a beautiful braid and it's so thick!! :)

Phalaenopsis
January 30th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Old picture of 5-strand:
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a6/naturalgirl/05_12_1.jpg

You can see the difference, I think :)

Leabhar
January 30th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Wow, it looks really good! The 3-strand herringbone looks more complicated than the 5-strand plait, I think. How do you do it if you were hairdo-instruction challenged like myself? I can do a 2-strand, btw. :D

Coriander
January 30th, 2009, 01:06 PM
I think both are lovely... I'm very much braid-challenged myself, but maybe I'll just have to practice. It's too beautiful not to try!!!

freznow
January 30th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Cool! You always have the best braid ideas :D I think I'll wear this tomorrow, looks fun!

(Haven't seen it before. A braider like at a ren faire may have done it before but I haven't seen it on the 'net)

eresh
January 30th, 2009, 01:23 PM
It looks really good!

Arctic
January 30th, 2009, 01:31 PM
I don't understand how you make it, can you give more clear instructions, please :flower:

eadwine
January 31st, 2009, 01:13 AM
Yes please!

It looks great :) I like it better than the regular 5-strand one actually.. it's less bulky looking.

Phalaenopsis
January 31st, 2009, 01:16 AM
Okay, I've already made a drawing in Paint. One of these days I'll try to make an article :)

eadwine
January 31st, 2009, 01:38 AM
Thanks a bundle :)

maria_asa
January 31st, 2009, 02:18 AM
It looks great. I'm also interested in more detailed instructions.

Seraphina
January 31st, 2009, 03:23 AM
That looks great : )

Phalaenopsis
January 31st, 2009, 06:22 AM
Here you go: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=103

I hope it's a bit clear how you have to do it. :)

camara
January 31st, 2009, 06:27 AM
*stares at drawings in link* ok...concept is clear...Thanks a lot, Phalaenopsis, btw!...hrm...additional hands, anyone?

:) I think I´ll have to practice this, at the moment my fingers don´t cooperate!

rags
January 31st, 2009, 07:08 AM
It's beautiful - I think I prefer it to the 5 strand also!

eresh
January 31st, 2009, 08:44 AM
I'll give it a try after my next wash

Isilya
January 31st, 2009, 10:15 AM
Here you go: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=103

I hope it's a bit clear how you have to do it. :)

Yup, it's clear now :) Thanks for the explanation.

NurseMama
January 31st, 2009, 11:07 AM
Wow! That is a cool looking braid! It will probably take some practice for me to be able to do it though. I keep trying the 5 strand braid and my fingers get confused!

PurpleAshes
January 31st, 2009, 11:09 AM
Wow, it's actually easier than I thought it would be! I wish my hair was long enough to do this :(

WritingPrincess
January 31st, 2009, 12:59 PM
Wow! I haven't seen that before. But I can't quite grasp how you did it. Could you explain more?

Darkhorse1
January 31st, 2009, 01:49 PM
Oooh! I like the 3 strand fishbone braid!!! Where'd you find that? I LOVE braids! I did a hauser braid for work last week and got many compliments. :D

Phalaenopsis
January 31st, 2009, 02:09 PM
I didn't find it, it just came up with it like: hey, you have a 2-strand and a 3-strand ropebraid, couldn't be done the same with a fishbone?

And then I tried it. :)

pinkfairygrl
January 31st, 2009, 02:11 PM
Those instructions are so clear and the braid is beautiful. Great job!

TheKnight'sLady
January 31st, 2009, 06:40 PM
What a cool-looking braid! Thanks for the instructions, I am really excited to try it. :) Your hair is beautiful by the way

atlantaz3
January 31st, 2009, 09:13 PM
I have no clue how to do this - could you maybe start with the basic fishbone and explain this new variation? thanks

AprilElf
February 1st, 2009, 12:45 AM
That's an awesome braid, Phalaenopsis! :thud:
I understand the concepts from your article. Thanks for writing that.
Whether or not I can actually do it ... well, I'm looking forward to finding out! :D

Masara
February 1st, 2009, 12:53 AM
Thanks for the article. I'm having more success with this than with a standard 2 strand fishbone and it looks impressive.
On the other hand, it's a slow, fiddly one to do; my arms were tired before I even got half way.

I'm thinking it should be easier to do a french version, starting higher, than with the 2 strand. Something I'll have to work on .....

Phalaenopsis
February 1st, 2009, 02:17 AM
Wow! I haven't seen that before. But I can't quite grasp how you did it. Could you explain more?

I have no clue how to do this - could you maybe start with the basic fishbone and explain this new variation? thanks

I just saw that there is not yet an article about the fishbone. Maybe if I explain that it will be more clear?

Because I don't know how better to explain it than with the drawing.:o

Arctic
February 1st, 2009, 03:06 AM
Aaaahhhh, now I understand! Thanks for explaining and writing the article! I'll try it out sometime soon, I love the look! :inlove:

eadwine
February 1st, 2009, 03:21 AM
*waits patiently for someone to make an instruction thingie on youtube*

I am one of those who didn't really get the written one ;)

Phalaenopsis
February 1st, 2009, 04:07 AM
I tried to make a video, but it can't be too long otherwise the file is too big to put on photobucket. (I'm not a member of youtube)

PurpleAshes
February 1st, 2009, 09:39 AM
I think those who don't understand the instructions would understand very easily if the learn how to do a basic fishbone braid :)
Maybe this could help:
http://www.dreamweaverbraiding.com/braids/herringbone.htm

eadwine
February 1st, 2009, 12:12 PM
That is the thing, I know how to do it (not that I have had the patience yet to try it :lol:)

Phalaenopsis
February 1st, 2009, 12:51 PM
Okay, just for the dummies :p
I made a real short video. You'll see me starting from the left going to the right and then I go from the right to the left. You won't see an actual braid, but you can see the technique. I had to make it real short or the file would be too big for Photobucket. (maybe I should consider becoming a youtube member...)

The file is loading, I'll post it when it's done, but it'll take a while.

ZadenWillowfyre
February 1st, 2009, 12:55 PM
That's awesome! We need a tutorial!!!! <3

eadwine
February 1st, 2009, 12:56 PM
Okay, just for the dummies :p

http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/8253/tongueav1.gif

;)

Phalaenopsis
February 1st, 2009, 01:49 PM
It's loaded!

I had to do it quick, but I hope it helps for the visual learners among us:
http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a6/naturalgirl/?action=view&current=DSCI0111.flv

Ponytale
February 1st, 2009, 03:35 PM
This was great! I tried it via the instructions and it is a great braid! Thanks.

Darkhorse1
February 1st, 2009, 08:28 PM
GORGEOUS HAIR!!

To me, that looks like a 5 strand braid, but I LOVE it!! It's flat, which is what I like. The 5 strand nearly killed me to do, but I still want to try this :)

Phalaenopsis
February 3rd, 2009, 02:04 AM
Glad I could help :)

And I'm hoping that Eadwine likes the vid :p

eadwine
February 5th, 2009, 03:02 PM
It's probably a good video, but I can't tell because it is shocking like mad when played here, even after it has run out once.

It's probably my system and photobucket combined :)

Michou
February 5th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Holy cheese that looks complicated! I've read the article and viewed the video and have only a few questions. It looks as though the strands that you are moving are just integrated with the strand they are moving towards, am I right? I don't see 9 individual strands when you are braiding, I see 3 main strands, 2 of which have a third pulled aside to braid with at any moment.

Oy, tricky! I wish I had better coordination and longer hair, it's so lovely!

sahiba
February 6th, 2009, 10:35 AM
It looks complicated but very pretty :)

Phalaenopsis
February 6th, 2009, 12:12 PM
It's probably a good video, but I can't tell because it is shocking like mad when played here, even after it has run out once.

It's probably my system and photobucket combined :)

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that, Eadwine. Since I made the vid on your request :( I find it very strange though. Is there another way I could help you out?

Holy cheese that looks complicated! I've read the article and viewed the video and have only a few questions. It looks as though the strands that you are moving are just integrated with the strand they are moving towards, am I right? I don't see 9 individual strands when you are braiding, I see 3 main strands, 2 of which have a third pulled aside to braid with at any moment.

Oy, tricky! I wish I had better coordination and longer hair, it's so lovely!

And yes, the strands that I'm moving are integrated with the strands they are moving towards. That makes a herringbone/fishtail/fishbone braid different from other braids.;)

AutumnSky
February 6th, 2009, 12:18 PM
That's gorgeous, and amazing, and BRILLIANT. My wrists, however, are not that nimble. ;-p
Maybe I could get away with it wet....

Phalaenopsis
February 6th, 2009, 12:41 PM
To be honest, I find it harder to braid wet. My hair tends to tangle a lot more then.

abbatabba1137
May 31st, 2011, 06:53 PM
Such an amazing braid! I love finding new ones, especially when they aren't very common!
Cant wait to try it....

Venefica
May 31st, 2011, 07:36 PM
That is a nice braid, is there a youtube video anywhere explaining how to do it? I learn such things much easier from a video than from a description that is written.

Kristamommyx3
May 31st, 2011, 07:45 PM
IMO this is the prettiest braid I've ever seen! The instructions made me giggle, but they were very clear. :D

Lux88
May 31st, 2011, 08:00 PM
WOW that's thick! My whole braid would probably be like ONE of your sections to braid WITH. lol I'm jealous!

Knittycat
May 31st, 2011, 09:16 PM
Oh my that is a fantastic braid! I suck at braiding my own hair, but as it gets longer, I'm going to have to bite the bullet and practice more. I hope I manage to get good enough to do that braid one day!

Sewas
May 31st, 2011, 09:37 PM
Very beautiful.

YesitsReal
June 3rd, 2011, 09:13 AM
This braid is gorgeous! I totally can't do it! lol. I definitely need more practice. About 2-3 turns down, my fingers betray me and I get a big mess. :rolleyes:

Phalaenopsis
June 4th, 2011, 11:57 AM
IMO this is the prettiest braid I've ever seen! The instructions made me giggle, but they were very clear. :D
Why did they make you giggle? :)

HappyMuser
June 4th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Gorgeous braid :)

Confessor
June 4th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Such a pretty braid! I have mastered the 5 strand braid so hopefully I'll get this one down too. Thank you for sharing!

hypersensitive
June 4th, 2011, 08:47 PM
Phalaenopsis, could you post the link of your article to your first post? It'll be easier for new readers to find. ^^

arc691
June 4th, 2011, 11:15 PM
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x472/andrearcolson/My%20Smilies/glitter-1.jpg

Beautiful, I love it!

pixiestar
June 4th, 2011, 11:28 PM
Love it. I recently tried a fishtbone plait on my dd's hair. I will definitely be giving this one a go:D