PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with long, thick hair want to try a sculptural braid up-do challenge?

Kuchen
January 30th, 2009, 08:35 AM
I just got a copy of French Elle for this month, and they have a fashion spread in which the model has thick braids with a ribbon threaded through them and arranged into coils and loops that are half Frieda Kahlo, half Timoshenko, with a bit of 1940s hat thrown in :)
I can't scan and post the photos here for copyright reasons, but I can send a photo of them to anyone who's curious and has some time on their hands to experiment. Any takers? :D

Xandergrammy
January 30th, 2009, 08:49 AM
I have no time and no talent, but I'm excited to see what y'all come up with!!

Darkhorse1
January 30th, 2009, 11:24 AM
I'm curious! But, it depends on how complicated the braid...my arms get tired ;)

Darkhorse1
January 30th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Oh, I've seen that style, you have to braid the hair with wire to get it to coil, and I don't have any wire that can do that. I think Ruslanna Korshunova had a fashion shoot when her hair was really long, and her braids were out and coiled. Looked amazing!

Euphony
January 30th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Oh man I would love to see what others will come up with. I actually rarely braid, I should because I always get compliments when my hair is braided - but I just don't have time. Plus braids seriously eat up my length.

Kuchen
January 30th, 2009, 11:30 AM
The braids are very plain, I think it's more a matter of how and where it's pinned/arranged on the head. I can take photos of the pages tomorrow and send them. But I just realised I cna't send them by PM, or can I? Anyone who wants to see them send me an email address by PM.

Darkhorse1
January 30th, 2009, 11:38 AM
French Elle is online----I can't read french, but maybe you can find it on their website??

Kuchen
January 30th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Alas no, the web content is different to the print edition.

flapjack
January 30th, 2009, 12:31 PM
If it gets scanned I will give it a go.

Looks like I might need some wire hangers, hahaha. One year, I was pippy longstocking for halloween and my mother just wrapped my braids around pieces of wire from a hanger and voila! Pretty easy and I could bend it however I wanted. It was fun. Wire hangers are harder to come by, though. I used to have tons of them when I was younger.

FallenAngel
January 30th, 2009, 01:46 PM
:o PM me? I can't do the hairstyle, but I'm curious!

cuddledumplin
January 30th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Sounds nice. Sometimes I wear Frida Kahlo braids (crossed on top of my head) to work. I may see if I can track down a copy of French Elle.

Kuchen
January 30th, 2009, 11:39 PM
Sounds nice. Sometimes I wear Frida Kahlo braids (crossed on top of my head) to work. I may see if I can track down a copy of French Elle. It's got Kate Blanchett on the cover, if you're keeping an eye out.

I'll take the photos today when it's lighter and pass them on to everyone who's curious. One of my other French magazines has a shoot featuring a model with tailbone-length hair and I did load that up on a blog somewhere.

I should ask a mod if it's possible to put them in a photo album as I've seen lots of copyrighted pix in albums. :hmm:

Kuchen
January 31st, 2009, 01:08 AM
OK, I put a selection of them in my album, which is set to private and I'll send friend offers to everyone who showed an interest here. PM me if you'd like to see them.
We complain about fashion and trendy hair-dos here, but there were ten or more pages of innovative up-dos in this shoot, which is just wonderful :grin:

Yedda
January 31st, 2009, 12:22 PM
OK, I put a selection of them in my album, which is set to private and I'll send friend offers to everyone who showed an interest here. PM me if you'd like to see them.
We complain about fashion and trendy hair-dos here, but there were ten or more pages of innovative up-dos in this shoot, which is just wonderful :grin:

Just sent you a friend request. I'd like to take a look at the updo's. Thanks:)

Darkhorse1
January 31st, 2009, 02:02 PM
I think I saw them and the hair that is on the model is fake. That's why they can get them to look like that. Igor did some styles with wraps and ribbons, and she has pretty long/thick hair and I don't think it looks the same.

I'll try, but I don't know if I have anything I can braid into my hair that is that long :D!

Isilme
January 31st, 2009, 02:06 PM
I'd like to have a look!:) Don't think I can do it, but at least I know what everyone is talking about then;)

Kuchen
February 1st, 2009, 02:29 AM
They're in my album, and I've checked the friend request box. And yup, the braids are definitely fake - when you see the magazine page it's obvious. Thought it would take an LHCer to do it in real life! Plus I bet that, just like the clothes in fashion shoots, there's a mass of pins at the back holding it all together. I think LHCers have a bit more technical know-how about building dos.

Speedbump
February 1st, 2009, 08:34 AM
I took a look and I don't think my hair is long enough to achieve that many coils. I also think that it would take me 100 tries to accomplish just one of those updos if I did have the hair. :lol:

AprilElf
February 1st, 2009, 05:32 PM
I'm curious. :)
Sending you a friend request, Kuchen.

viking_quest
February 1st, 2009, 05:56 PM
Sent a friend request. I doubt I'd even be able to try it with my length of hair.

Darkhorse1
February 1st, 2009, 08:24 PM
I have an idea. If it works, I'll post the photos.....

darkwaves
February 1st, 2009, 08:58 PM
Also curious... It will be fun to see what people come up with!

mira-chan
February 1st, 2009, 08:59 PM
I might try the ones with the scarf/ ribbon ones if I find a thin scarf like that. I have the length but the taper I have works against me.

plainjanegirl
February 1st, 2009, 11:30 PM
I would like to see these too. I love braids.

WavyGirl
February 2nd, 2009, 03:16 AM
No chance of me being able to do this style if Speedbump doesn't think her hair is long enough. :p I would like to see the pictures though so I'll pm you.