PDA

View Full Version : A neat old hair article!

Stagecoach
January 30th, 2009, 07:57 AM
I came across the link to this on a reenactors forum I'm on, and I think some of y'all over here would enjoy it.

Ladies Medical Guide, 1897 (http://books.google.com/books?id=qI7yDdpHuYUC&printsec=frontcover&dq=The+Ladies+Medical+Guide#PRA4-PA506,M1)

Go to page 506 for the beginning of their hair talk.

Disclaimer* This is an old book, and I'm sure it has many opinions on genders and gender roles which would not be popular today... but don't get your knickers in a twist, it's an old book, so sort out the bones and enjoy it!

Copasetic
January 30th, 2009, 08:04 AM
"Great care should be taken to part the hair directly at the centre of the forehead"
LOL, I love this book. I wish I had a hard copy of it.

twilight
January 30th, 2009, 08:10 AM
lol i love the part about "monstrosities!" :cheese:

Kuchen
January 30th, 2009, 08:39 AM
It's ok, I can read old books and understand that times were different then. Thanks for adding this, I love old beauty advice!

magpielaura
January 30th, 2009, 08:42 AM
I can't seem to figure out how to read any of it... Any tips? I logged on to the google site, but I'm not getting anywhere:confused:

Copasetic
January 30th, 2009, 09:25 AM
I can't seem to figure out how to read any of it... Any tips? I logged on to the google site, but I'm not getting anywhere:confused:

Can you see anything, or is the page simply not loading? The first few pages are pictures, and then as you scroll down you should start to see text.

MemSahib
January 30th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Ah, it seems that fashion police are nothing new! :D

dor3girl
January 30th, 2009, 10:09 AM
The illustrations alone were worth the view!

Myrrh
January 30th, 2009, 10:11 AM
That is pretty neat! I love looking at old illustrations and reading old books.

PurpleAshes
January 30th, 2009, 10:16 AM
I'm not sure of what I have to do to read it either :s

Stagecoach
January 30th, 2009, 10:17 AM
I'm glad y'all are enjoying it!

I first read it for the illustrations as they're from the time period I re-enact, but I found the information on cultural hair vaccinating, especially about the different types of oils they all use!

magpielaura
January 30th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Aghhhh frustrated! I want to see it!

I get to a google book search page, but nothing there will let me view or download it. Help me!

HotRag
January 30th, 2009, 10:50 AM
I can't read it either.
The info says that the book is copyrighted or not old enough to have lost the copyright LOL.

It says this in my language.

may1em
January 30th, 2009, 11:42 AM
So it says on p. 540 that boiled water that has been poured onto bran is good for washing hair. Anyone ever heard of/tried anything like it?

I'm totally skipping the lead, arsenic, and hog's lard ideas, though.

Stagecoach
January 30th, 2009, 02:40 PM
lol, that bran thing caught my eye. I just might have to give it a shot! But I wonder what kind of bran....

Linda K
January 30th, 2009, 03:05 PM
lol i love the part about "monstrosities!" :cheese:

LOL! Apparently today's stylists (books in the shop) can't read! There are SO many 'one eyed' models! :D

Looking at Page 512 reminds me, anyone seen Popeye, err make that Olive Oil, lately? :eyebrows:

Linda K
January 30th, 2009, 03:20 PM
I'm totally skipping the lead, arsenic, and hog's lard ideas, though.

ROFL! :smirk: "Glowing in grease and red ochre, the ringlets of these dark angels are decorated with possum tails ..."

Ok, I can understand an aversion to arsenic and lard ..., are you game for the possum tails????? :D We have them around here quite often - I might be able to get some - and sell them cheap! Free to anyone on the forum of course! :hooched::rollin:

DragonLady
January 30th, 2009, 03:27 PM
The book is available for download in .pdf form for those who can't read it on the site.

http://books.google.com/books/pdf/The_Ladies__Medical_Guide.pdf?id=qI7yDdpHuYUC&output=pdf&sig=ACfU3U3g2vGdx-mLp-FeSMq3lS8WGrl6Kw

Edited to fix the URL

Sissy
January 30th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Monstrocities
"We have alluded to the danger and inconvenience of hair dressed in this style in another part of the chapter"

:pwhat dangers???

Atlantic
January 30th, 2009, 04:25 PM
I can't see the book or the PDF....but maybe this has something to do with not having a Google account?

Vicky Veiss
January 30th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Monstrocities
"We have alluded to the danger and inconvenience of hair dressed in this style in another part of the chapter"

Judging from the picture, it looks like the gal with "blinkers" can't see to the sides, so she might get run down by a cart-horse when she steps off the curb! :D

Amara
January 30th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Oh my god, this rocks. I checked out a similar medical manual from the library long ago. It was a hoot. "Literary ladies are subject to this defect (baldness)" LOL!

Linda K
January 30th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Monstrocities

I believe this quote to be from page 512. If so, it's the part about the hair style - "Blinders" meaning the hair is styled so as to block the ladies peripheral vision! Hence my earlier comment about the "One Eyed" models in the style books. :D

ETA: Sorry I didn't see this had been addressed already.

Coriander
January 30th, 2009, 05:46 PM
"To preserve the hair and keep it healthy, all excesses or extraordinary excitement should be avoided. Mental and bodily over-stimulation are injurious." (page 539/45)

I guess then I'm going to quit my pre-nursing major, turn off all phones and electronic devices, and go right to bed :p

I am really enjoying this article, especially the pictures!!!! Thanks!!

ETA: "Cutting has a tendency to injure its beauty and retard its maximum growth." interesting!

I also think I'll skip the lard and the blistering :bigeyes:

may1em
January 30th, 2009, 06:37 PM
lol, that bran thing caught my eye. I just might have to give it a shot! But I wonder what kind of bran....

Well, I'm not about to use raisin bran, that's for sure. Maybe wheat germ is pretty close? I've seen recipes that include cooking water from some kind of starch - I think it's supposed to be a protein additive.

magpielaura
January 31st, 2009, 01:59 PM
All your comments are so tantilizing. Sigh. Just can't see it.

Sissy
February 1st, 2009, 01:16 PM
Judging from the picture, it looks like the gal with "blinkers" can't see to the sides, so she might get run down by a cart-horse when she steps off the curb! :D

Hilarious :cheese:

DragonLady
February 1st, 2009, 01:19 PM
All your comments are so tantilizing. Sigh. Just can't see it.

Do you have Acrobat Reader installed? I think you need it to be able to view the pages.

Stagecoach
February 2nd, 2009, 02:18 PM
Well, I'm not about to use raisin bran, that's for sure. Maybe wheat germ is pretty close? I've seen recipes that include cooking water from some kind of starch - I think it's supposed to be a protein additive.

Yes. I've also used wheat bran and flaw seed bran in baking, maybe that's what they're talking about?

Samikha
February 2nd, 2009, 02:37 PM
Do you have Acrobat Reader installed? I think you need it to be able to view the pages.

No, it's not that. Everyone who has been unable to see it has been in a location other than the US. I have Acrobat installed, I have a Google account, but I'm in Norway, and that seems to be the problem. The .pdf link doesn't show and the book page completely lacks any indication of where to go to read it.

No love for the Europeans:(

Help! Help! I'm being repressed!;)

jessie58
February 2nd, 2009, 03:12 PM
That is totally interesting! I love the stuff written about grace and beauty and the hair.

Startling facts are fascinating, lol.

I have to download this and read it all properly.

magpielaura
February 2nd, 2009, 03:26 PM
No, it's not that. Everyone who has been unable to see it has been in a location other than the US. I have Acrobat installed, I have a Google account, but I'm in Norway, and that seems to be the problem. The .pdf link doesn't show and the book page completely lacks any indication of where to go to read it.

I'm glad its not just me being a dingbat! The site does say google book beta - maybe its not fully online globally yet.

HotRag
February 3rd, 2009, 03:36 AM

Aha, that's the explanation. I'm in Sweden.

elbow chic
February 3rd, 2009, 05:48 PM
The author certainly devotes a fair number of pages to the description of global hairstyles.

One wonders how accurate his ethnographic fashion report was at the time-- it certainly sounds like he had delved into the matter pretty extensively.