PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with mineral oil?

Leisa
March 28th, 2008, 02:47 PM
I've noticed that no one uses mineral oil on their hair, why is that?

I started using tres flores (mineral oil and fragrance) and to my surprise it absorbs well and doesn't leave my hair looking oiled.

So why is it not popular to use?

akurah
March 28th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Most people don't use it because they don't like using petroleum products (blame the big oil companies).

http://thebeautybrains.com/2006/11/28/the-top-5-myths-about-mineral-oil-part-1/

Mineral oil won't hurt your hair, but depending on your hair, it may not help it either.

sapphire-o
March 28th, 2008, 03:14 PM
All I know is mineral oil (to me) feels greasy and is hard to wash off without using some strong stuff. I frequently do water only bath so I definitely don't want greasy stuff on my body.

spidermom
March 28th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Mineral oil doesn't benefit your hair in the least, although it may enhance the appearance. Coconut oil is absorbed, adds moisture, and prevents protein loss. Other vegetable/fruit oils are beneficial as well.

prosperina
March 29th, 2008, 12:16 AM
Mineral oil coats the skin and locks out moisture, so I assume it does similar things to hair. Whenever I used to use petroleum jelly on my skin, it'd feel soft for a while until the coating wore off then it was even drier than ever.

Exodus
March 29th, 2008, 01:20 AM
One thing is that it has no benefits for the hair. It just seems to mostly coat the hair, and can be a bit hard to wash out sometimes. The other thing is, it makes my skin break out. Acne prone as I am, I really cant use such products. I think companies that put mineral oil in hair products must do it for the consistency or something.

Starr
March 29th, 2008, 10:32 AM
It makes me itchy and makes my scalp break out. . . not good.

Nynaeve
March 29th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Mineral oil doesn't benefit your hair in the least, although it may enhance the appearance. Coconut oil is absorbed, adds moisture, and prevents protein loss. Other vegetable/fruit oils are beneficial as well.

Agreed about the coconut oil. Too bad I'm out and have no transportation to go anywhere right now. :(

Mineral oil coats the skin and locks out moisture, so I assume it does similar things to hair. Whenever I used to use petroleum jelly on my skin, it'd feel soft for a while until the coating wore off then it was even drier than ever.

Yep. I think this is probably the reason people use it in their products, especially in "moisturizing" products, like lotions. So that people will think it is helping, but then they will need it again soon after. Sells more bottles. :P

It makes me itchy and makes my scalp break out. . . not good.

This happens to me with anything I use on my body that involves it.
I've heard of several other women being allergic to it as well, so I guess it is an irritant in some way.

Eirinn
March 30th, 2008, 05:27 AM
Interesting... I've read the same about cones here and it went out that is kind of umm superstition, not necessarily true...

ysmalan
March 30th, 2008, 05:48 AM
I, for one, am not really sure if there's any big difference between the effects paraffin has on your hair (!) and the effects of other oils. The main thing oil is supposed to do is to prevent your hair from drying out. Oil preserves moisture - and as far as I know, you could use every kind of oil or fat to do that. Of course, every oil or fat has its different properties, so the way hair feels after using whatever oil will of course vary from person to person. But the main effect, that of preserving the moisture, will be the same in general.
But, as somebody already mentioned, there may be other reasons for refraining from using paraffin. However, if you feel comfortable with it and it works well for your hair, I don't see why you shouldn't use it.

I mostly refrain from using mineral oil for ecological reasons. Also, regarding the use of paraffin on the skin (!), I often read that it may accumulate in the kidneys and cause damages after some time. This is not yet scientifically proven, however.

Yamale
April 1st, 2008, 06:17 AM
I have no problem with mineral oil in my hair but when I use it to often, my hair gets straggly and looks oily. But when I use products with mineral oils only once a month, I can see nothing negative. So there is nothing wrong in using mineral oils :)

ChloeDharma
April 1st, 2008, 07:10 AM
The purpose of oiling hair is usually far more involved than simply creating a moisture seal. Each type has different properties and chemical compositions so you really can't say that all do exactly the same thing as they don't. Mineral oil forms a film over the hair that may help prevent water evaporating from the shaft, but also prevents water entering the shaft too.....which is fine in theory, but if it is not effectively removed with each wash over time that could cause a problem.

Other oils are used to nourish hair.....something mineral oil cannot do, they also are used to penetrate the hair shaft and like in the case of coconut oil protect the keratin from damage and prevent its loss from processes like washing.
Also coconut oil doesn't form an absolute film on the hair preventing moisture entering or leaving the hair shaft but acts more like a buffer slowing the process.

If you want to try mineral oil and like the result, go for it.....but oils are far more complicated than most people realise and shouldn't be considered as just doing one simple job.

ysmalan
April 13th, 2008, 10:51 AM
I agree with your last sentence, I guess oil is not really as simple as I described it before, or the effects of every oil would be the same on any hair...

However, I keep hearing the "nourishing" argument for coconut oil and other "natural" oils. This doesn't really sound logical to me... as far as I understand it, hair is dead matter, consisting mainly of proteins and water. What is there to be nourished?
Or am I wrong? This matter puzzles me a little. :/

spidermom
April 13th, 2008, 11:06 AM
The structure of hair contains essential fatty acid molecules as well as protein and water (and other things). As time goes by, some of these EFA molecules can be eroded away, and when you oil (another source of essential fatty acids), you replace them. I think this is what is meant by "nourishing hair".

By the way, the term "hair is dead" means that it doesn't have nerves. It is still a biologically active material. Witness what happens when you are under stress. Hair is often the first thing to show it. Mine will go utterly straight and limp.

ysmalan
April 13th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the answer, this sounds like something I can understand. :)

There sure is lots of contradicting information about hair to find on the internet. :?

You're right about hair "behaviour"... I haven't thought of this. I guess it's a bit similar to wood - which is "dead", but still has to be cared for properly and be "nourished" lest it cracks and breaks...

ChloeDharma
April 13th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the answer, this sounds like something I can understand. :)

There sure is lots of contradicting information about hair to find on the internet. :?

You're right about hair "behaviour"... I haven't thought of this. I guess it's a bit similar to wood - which is "dead", but still has to be cared for properly and be "nourished" lest it cracks and breaks...

Funny, wood sprung to my mind too. I agree with what Spidermom said just for the record.

Also, i should explain that part of oiling to me is oiling the scalp, so delivering nutrients to where the hair is being formed by absorbtion.