PDA

View Full Version : How to protect hair from weather damage?

Mearwynna
January 29th, 2009, 09:04 PM
I'm on a farm so have to do chores once or twice a day. I have been noticing that my hair is getting dry and when I was in the car I saw a ton of white split ends and dots. I don't see these much in the house because the light isn't that bright. So what are the ways to protect hair in the winter?

I'm in MN, and it's cold and dry. I wear a hat but sometimes I think it's part of the problem. Got any ideas?

A'eorryn
January 29th, 2009, 09:20 PM
The most basic thing you can do it oil your ends. If your hair isn't highly absorbent, the best oil (IME) to use is avocado - it soaks right in and leaves little greaziness (it's the one I'd recommend first anyway besides a combined-oils formula, it has amazing protective and nourishing properties). Just make sure you don't overdo it (a little goes a long way) or you'll be tempted to wash more often due dusties and whatnot clinging to the oil making it look dirty. Of you can't get avocado oil or think it might be too greazy then you could try lotion, but I would strongly recommend getting an all-natural variety (and I mean ALL natural, the bottle can SAY all natural and be nothing of the sort), because many of the ingredients in regular store-bought lotion are in fact drying and can make it worse.

~A'eorryn

RancheroTheBee
January 30th, 2009, 12:35 AM
If you're still keen on hats, why don't you try wearing a silk scarf over your hair before you put on your hat?

Also, if you're out working all day in cold weather and wind, maybe you should consider replacing a shampoo with a CO every so often.

Aditi
January 30th, 2009, 12:42 AM
If you're still keen on hats, why don't you try wearing a silk scarf over your hair before you put on your hat?

Also, if you're out working all day in cold weather and wind, maybe you should consider replacing a shampoo with a CO every so often.
Hey thats the same advice which i was going to give you :wink:

dearladydisdain
January 30th, 2009, 02:27 PM
I would try oiling or protecting it before putting it up. Then just try to keep it up and away from the wind/dry air

chrissy-b
January 30th, 2009, 03:52 PM
I agree with oiling the ends and to also try an updo where the ends are tucked away. Damp bunning helps my ends immensely.

Darkhorse1
January 30th, 2009, 08:53 PM
I work at many farms (horses) and I always braid my hair. This saves the ends from being lashed around by the harsh winds. Also, I use cone based conditioners (pantene extra moisture renewel is awesome!), and when it's still looking a bit parched, I use olive oil on the ends before I wash/clarify.

I also wear hats to no end, and sometimes bun my hair. I'm sure you've experienced the cold hair syndrome--you undo your hair and feel the icy cold on your bare back if you are changing into winter jammies! :D