PDA

View Full Version : Scalp Issues, Desperate For Advice

lugosi56
January 29th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Hi all, okay so here goes..I'm at my whits end with my hair and I'm hoping it's because of the weather and the dryness that I am experiencing these issues. I'm a 27 male with thick hair and this winter has been brutal so far as I am in Canada my scalp has been super itchy and it's been driving me nuts. I don't have have dandruff but it's flaking because of the dryness. I only wash my hair every other day using Natural shampoo from Prairie Naturals ..their Hydrating shampoo currently and their conditioner. Ever since the cold winter weather has come my hair and scalp has been a nightmare. If I shampoo my hair in the morning by that afternoon it has this really gross oily smell to it ..my hair isn't greasy but this oily smell is driving me nuts and it's super embarrassing. I've tried using conditioner ..without conditioner, tons of different shampoos. I'm guessing the lack of moisture has dried my scalp completely out is producing more oil causing this oily smell?? It's driving me nuts..I eat well..I shower everyday ..like I said I only shampoo every other day and this problem does not happen in the summer time so I know it can't be a fungus or anything lol. I have tried so many different things ..leave in conditioner ..etc to moisturize my hair ..nothing works ..my scalp still itches and still has this oily smell after a couple hours of shampooing that smells like I haven't washed my hair in over a week. I drink plenty of water..eat well, take vitamins and actually just started taking evening primrose and Carlson Finest fish oil a few days ago and plan to keep taking it as I read it's good for dryness of skin/scalp..etc. Does this just sound like a lack of moisture to my scalp that is causing this super dryness to produce more oil because of the winter weather. I don't know I've tried so many things and nothing has seemed to work. I really hope by taking this fish oil which I heard is great for skin overall will help. My hair is so dry and my scalp the oily smell most be contributed to the fact that it's producing more oil? It's just gross. Thanks for any help. This has been driving me nuts ever since Winter has started lol

A'eorryn
January 29th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Fish oil is definitely a good idea (or flax seed, both for the omegas), and you can also take biotin, b-complex, vitamin c, and zinc to help with your hair (I even add them straight to my conditioner recipes, but they do work better from the inside)
What are the ingredients in your shampoo? I know my scalp freaks out - and I get patches of psoriasis flaring up! - if I don't use entirely natural products. Not that I am saying you should (even though I do think so ;)), but that you may be allergic to one or more of the ingredients. Otherwise, I'll offer a recipe for a vinegar-rinse you can use after washing that is infused with specific herbs to combat itchy/flaky/inflamed skin and scalp conditions

(this makes a gallon to be stored in the fridge, so if you have shorter hair or just don't think you'll use it up before it goes bad, feel free to halve or quarter the recipe)
boil 1 quart purified water, add 1-2 tablespoons (dried measurement) each: chamomile, calendula, burdock, comfrey, gotu kola, nettle, oatstraw, red clover, let steep for a few hours and strain. add 2 more quarts purified water and 1 quart apple-cider vinegar. Mix thoroughly and store in a gallon jug on the fridge. Fill a spritzer bottle as needed. If your scalp is especially sensitive due to this problem you may want to dilute the mix even further or it might sting at first (I use a 50/50 vinegar rinse myself)

These herbs have been shown to be effective to some degree against both temporary external conditions like poison ivy and permanent internal conditions like eczema. The psoriasis in my scalp cleared up in a jiffy once I started using a vinegar rinse and I no longer need to formulate mine to treat it. If you can't get your hands on all these herbs, then at least get chamomile (tea bags!) and try to get calendula, OR you can purchase a ready-made portion to make a gallon here: http://willowgrovesoapworks.com/hair.html Rinse for Reactive Scalp (yeah that's my site, aren't I generous in sharing my secret recipe? ;) really I just am very sympathetic to your plight, I spent YEARS dealing with the very same problem). Good luck!!

~A'eorryn

frizzinator
January 29th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Do you rinse the shampoo and all products out of your hair really well? Is it possible your hair gets more rinsing in the summer, perhaps due to more showering than in winter or due to swimming? I think product residue smells much worse than the product, and can cause a flakey scalp.

skydancer7
January 29th, 2009, 09:27 PM
The smell clues me in that it might be an issue you want to see a dermatologist about. Could be more than just dryness or product use. It would be worth checking out especially since it is causing such distress. Sorry you are dealing with this, good luck!

Lady Lilya
January 30th, 2009, 01:40 AM
I've recently read a lot about winter skin issues and discovered that the lower vitamin D levels in the body can contribute. Our body makes vitamin D when exposed to the sun. (And, interestingly, eating foods with gluten in them will cause vitamin D levels to lower.)

SimplyLonghair
January 30th, 2009, 02:01 AM
I don't know that this is the case but it sounds like something that a friend of mine used to deal with, and she cured hers by ACV rinses and the itch and smell went away. She said that it was a yeast infection of sorts and that the ACV changed the environment and made it go away. I don't know that it is the same thing or not, but it is worth a try. Failing that, I would check out a dermatologist and see what they said.:D

Good luck.

Anje
January 30th, 2009, 06:54 AM
I agree with the other posters -- first thing you need to do is make sure you're getting adequate nutrition. Multivitamin, sufficient fats in your diet (go for the old rule of 30% of your calories from fat, maybe more if most of them are good unsaturated fats), plenty of water.

My skin gets oily when it gets dry, and moisturizing solves both problems. Your scalp may be the same. I'd suggest that you look at CO washing, which is gentler, and the conditioner can give your scalp some moisture. You might also simply have a scalp that gets oilier during the winter -- mine does, but not to the extent you describe.

Also, wear a hat if you're not doing so. No sense in letting the cold outside air dry your scalp further.

ETA: I'll also add a vote for rinsing your hair and scalp with dilute vinegar (ACV = apple cider vinegar, or white vinegar) at the end of the shower. Dilute it about 8:1 or 10:1 to start with. For some scalps, this makes a world of difference.

lugosi56
January 30th, 2009, 07:37 AM
Thanks all very much for your replies!! I will definitely try everything out. For starters I think I do need to work on my eating habits..lately I have been eating a lot of carbs..pasta..etc ..I should be eating a lot more vegitables, fruits..etc I'm changing this right away as well.