PDA

View Full Version : Hot Olive Oil Treatment?

backtolonghair
March 28th, 2008, 02:42 PM
What do you all think of using hot olive oil in your hair as a hot oil treatment? I tried it once and loved the results. It made my hair really shiny and soft. How often does one do a oil treatment? thanks! :)

bunnyhunny
March 28th, 2008, 02:46 PM
you can do it whenever you like! when my hair gets fuzzy i put some in. works great

happylynngilmer
March 28th, 2008, 04:21 PM
My scalp loves it, but my hair not so much. I 'poo and 'dish afterwards.

Celebrian
March 28th, 2008, 05:20 PM
I use it and love it - but have never applied it hot. Just straight on and hair left loose, or wrapped in saran and a towel. I get similar results whether I leave it on for half an hour or overnight.

Carolyn
March 28th, 2008, 05:36 PM
I use olive oil quite often. I slather all over my hair and then bag and turbie it all and get cozy with my heat cap for an hour or two. Then shampoo out and condition. I do it whenever I remember to :)

DaSwiss
April 4th, 2008, 03:06 AM
I heat up olive oil on the stove, and simmer it with some rosemary in it (as a very gentle astringent). Then cool down, pour on head, cover with saran wrap and a hot towel! My hair loves it.

Nadezhda
April 4th, 2008, 04:21 AM
I've read that olive oil starts to go rancid as soon as you heat it, so it's probably best not to keep any mix you've heated up, eh? Otherwise, simmering herbs in oil to get their properties out before an oil treatment sounds fab. Probably smells fab too! :P

Lady Verity
April 4th, 2008, 04:36 AM
I'm doing it right now for the first time! I hope it works. It does feel like something large pooed on my head. :-/

DaSwiss
April 4th, 2008, 04:49 AM
I've read that olive oil starts to go rancid as soon as you heat it, so it's probably best not to keep any mix you've heated up, eh? Otherwise, simmering herbs in oil to get their properties out before an oil treatment sounds fab. Probably smells fab too! :P

Yes! Absolutely, i forgot to mention that. I do it on a 'per use' basis. Sunday nights are my hot oil night. :)

rhosyn_du
April 4th, 2008, 04:59 AM
I used to do hot olive oil treatments all the time. Just warmed it in the microwave, slathered it on, left it for an hour or so, and then shampooed and conditioned. It worked wonders for my then extremely chemically damaged and 'cone-loving hair.

Emme76
April 4th, 2008, 06:02 AM
How often do you do it??
Can you over do it????

/Emme

asantegold
April 24th, 2008, 10:29 PM
I did a hot oil treatment with olive oil a couple of years ago and it made my hair really hard and crispy feeling. Never again!:rolleyes:

It works really well with my deep conditioners though. I add a little bit with coconut oil and it makes my hair more elastic and soft, so who knows.

GlassEyes
April 25th, 2008, 06:53 AM
I do it all the time, except I only CO it out and put my hair up in a ponytail. If it's greasy when it dries, I just CO the next day and it comes out.

I'm off shampoo at the moment. xD

Edit: I also ACV rinse after.

Kirin
April 25th, 2008, 07:48 AM
today is the first time i'm using olive oil in any fashion. I added a teaspoon full to my cholestrol treatment and my hair is marinating in it now. My hair lately has felt a little on the dry side and regular conditioners and leave in's aren't cutting it.

BrianaFineHair
April 25th, 2008, 08:11 PM
I heat up olive oil on the stove, and simmer it with some rosemary in it (as a very gentle astringent). Then cool down, pour on head, cover with saran wrap and a hot towel! My hair loves it.

Wow, I bet it feels incredible! I think I'll do this on my next oil treatment. I've always used the oil at room temp.