PDA

View Full Version : Whats the deal with trims/ no trims

Um Enis
January 29th, 2009, 05:55 PM
If you have no white dots, no splits, no visible damage how often is it reasonable to trim your hair? Or how not often, I should say!

And the "no trim" club thing, why? Because people have no damage? Or because people don't want to sacrifice the length?

OhioLisa
January 29th, 2009, 05:57 PM
If you really have no damage, the only reason to trim would be to keep an even hemline. I personally don't trim because I don't have damage and I don't like the look of blunt ends. What's the point? :shrug:

viking_quest
January 29th, 2009, 06:00 PM
I don't trim because I like my hemline and I've never had damage, so I don't see the point in doing it.

Buddaphlyy
January 29th, 2009, 06:05 PM
I don't trim because I don't have damage and I'm pushing myself to stay away from scissors for an extended period of time. Last year I cut my hair about 5 times, 2 of them accidentally, so I think my hair could do with out shears for a at least a year.

jojo
January 29th, 2009, 06:05 PM
I am not trimming for 12 months, 9 more months to go. My reasons are I spent most of last year dusting to get a blunt hemline and want to see just how many inches I can grow. i do regular s & d's and my hair is very healthy so i cannot see the point of cutting for the sake of it!

JamieLeigh
January 29th, 2009, 06:06 PM
The only reason I trim is to keep the ends even until I hit classic...and that's just a personal preference of mine. If there is no damage, no split ends, etc...then I don't see any reason to trim!

The "club" thing is really for moral support. Sometimes there are people who would like to try something new (for example: the no-trimming) but are either pressured by those around them to trim, or have been fanatical about trimming in the past. So those people need that support system to help them keep on the track that they've chosen. And others just like to be a part of something "social".

In the end, your hair is your hair, and the decisions concerning it are your own to make. :)

kdm310911
January 29th, 2009, 06:48 PM
I think it's a personal preference. If you have damage, or fragile kind of hair (mine's fairly fragile), you tend to trim it more. I do S&D about monthly and dust the ends about the same amount. Just to keep it healthy. However some people have healthier, stronger hair and can afford not to cut it. I also prefer the look of "freshly cut" hemline, but that's just a preference.

rapunzhell13
January 29th, 2009, 07:09 PM
I think, unless you've got extreme damage, S&D combined with micro-trims is more than enough. It also depends on preferred hemline. :)

HairColoredHair
January 29th, 2009, 07:39 PM
If you have no damage, I wouldn't trim unless you're craving that perfect hemline. There's no need.

A'eorryn
January 31st, 2009, 03:16 AM
Personally speaking (besides being fortunate enough to have VERY strong hair that can take a serious beating, so trimming - which I have not done in over a year and yet have no splits - is actually just unnecessary), I used to be somewhat scissorhappy... and by that I mean: for 15 years I massacred my hair with bleaches and rainbow colors (see avatar, I am a sucker for turquoise!! oh how I miss my colors!), and either on very frequent whims or because I had fried it badly enough (and you KNOW it's 'fried' when you can take a finger-sized section and just... RIP it right off when it's dry, or it actually MELTS a little when it's wet - ask me how I know :p) that I just had to, I was CONSTANTLY cutting. I couldn't get my hair past my chin for all the damage and compulsive hair-style changing. So for me not trimming is like a discipline, one that I can be extremely proud of, for my long-hair quest - because I feel like once I pick up those shears... well, I may have to start all over again!! :p Of course, maintaining the health so I don't ever have to even be TEMPTED to trim plays a major role (which is also, even after a year, a very unfamiliar attitude for me :p), and I do just adore the faerytale hemline, especially since I know I would look terrible with a blunt cut. It's all part of my pot of gold:

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10719;122/st/20070913/e/my+long-hair+quest+began/k/5a05/event.png
(http://www.TickerFactory.com/)
;)

~A'eorryn

ETA: the club-hair thing is because of the strength of the curls I seem to have, which don't really start until the strands are about 5-7 inches - the ends have REALLY pronounced flips that war with each other while the initial length lies together nicer so looks thinner (hence...) - and this also makes me wonder if I CAN get fearytale ends, because they might just refuse to do the shallow-wisp-out thing and instead just keep that big curl... which would be cool too (just still no good for a blunt cut) :p

embee
January 31st, 2009, 06:58 AM
I think the No Trimming support is also for those who used to go to the salon every six weeks and get a trim, and then showed no growth. Gee, growth was trimmed off every six weeks...

Since this is sorta like a lifestyle change, often people need encouragement to keep on with it.

It also helps to avoid the "gee I need a trim" thing that will grab hold sometimes with the result being a chop. I fell into this trap right before I joined LHC and "trimmed" off 8 inches for no good reason at all other than thinking I "needed" a bit of a trim, an improvement, that it would be somehow magically better. Wrong again. ;)

So I've put away the scissors and am maintaining at terminal.

Um Enis
January 31st, 2009, 07:11 AM
I think the No Trimming support is also for those who used to go to the salon every six weeks and get a trim, and then showed no growth. Gee, growth was trimmed off every six weeks...

Since this is sorta like a lifestyle change, often people need encouragement to keep on with it.

It also helps to avoid the "gee I need a trim" thing that will grab hold sometimes with the result being a chop. I fell into this trap right before I joined LHC and "trimmed" off 8 inches for no good reason at all other than thinking I "needed" a bit of a trim, an improvement, that it would be somehow magically better. Wrong again. ;)

So I've put away the scissors and am maintaining at terminal.

This is what I've always done. A trim at TB turns to a chop back to waist. I do this nearly everytime I get to TB (although I think TB might be terminal for me, because that is also when my hemline starts to get really uneven). Well, there's only one way to find out;)

spidermom
January 31st, 2009, 10:20 AM
Early in my determination to grow my hair out to super-long, I had a hair stylist with classic-length hair. She told me that to grow my hair, I needed frequent trims. She had me come in every 6-8 weeks. She had gorgeous long hair; I figured she knew what she was talking about. I was such a believer in trims that the idea of no trims was scarey to me for my first couple of years here. However, I decided last July to try one year of no trimming just to see what my hair did, and so far it's awesome. I've added 4 inches in length during the first six months and can't wait to see what the next six months brings.

going gray
January 31st, 2009, 11:42 AM
My hair stylist said the same thing SpiderMom, so I've been having a slight trim every 8 weeks in the hope that one day in the not too distant future I'll have blunt BSL hair, since my hair is about 21" I'm looking at about 2 more years..ugh! Patience!

Euphony
January 31st, 2009, 12:02 PM
I trim mine every 6 months, trimming 1/4". I don't see damage in my hair, but there's just so much hair there I figure to keep my hair looking healthy, I get it trimmed, my hair is very full to the bottom. I went for years not trimming my hair trying to get it long, granted I took awful care of my hair at the time too (brushing/ripping through my hair getting tangles out from top to bottom, using products that made my hair dry etc). I ended up with a false terminal length of bsl. I had splits that traveled up the shaft causing my already fragile hair to be even more fragile, thus causing my hair to break any growth it did gain and looked pretty shabby.

My BIL hasn't had a trim in his hair since before I met him 5 years ago. His hair was bsl when I met him, it's almost apl now - yes it's gotten shorter. Again he takes horrible care of his hair, so a lot attributes to his breakage, if nothing else I'd love to trim the guys hair just so it looked better.

I lose 1/2" a year to my trims, I don't mind losing that little amount of growth for my hair to look and feel great all the way to the tips.

spidermom
January 31st, 2009, 12:28 PM
So far my hair still looks and feels good all the way to the tip-ends, and it hasn't gotten very uneven so far. I feared that my hair would get fairy tale ends very rapidly because I'd notice longer twigs of hair here and there around my hem every time I went in for a trim (every 3 months). But that is not the case; I still have a fairly defined-looking hem.

mellie
January 31st, 2009, 12:37 PM
What are these things you call "trims"?:D

I've never trimmed my hair, but I've never (knock on wood) had damage either.

julya
February 1st, 2009, 04:36 AM
I don't think that trimming is always needed. I wait until my ends feel rough before I trim. I went three years without a trim.

Katze
February 1st, 2009, 05:10 AM
My ends are still bleached, so I am trimming as little as possible (every 3-6 months). Because my last real 'haircut' (which I then kept maintaining as I tried to grow out) was heavily shagged (heavy layers, shaped in the back) I also have those different lengths to contend with...though part of me also thinks that my hair just grows like this.

I don't like the look of seethrough ends, and given that my ends are in bad condition anyway, am trying to get them even/blunt. I am trying to be reasonable - trim if my ends get really thin (hard to tell because they ARE thin - see profile pic!), and trim to gradually let the layers catch up.

Today I had the scissors in my hand for an S&D and contemplated taking another couple inches off the longest, thinnest ends. The problem is, I don't know where to stop since my hair is thin from shoulder downwards. So I have to remind myself not to trim until after my baby is born, because trimming, but very sparingly, seems to be the way to go for me...

Xandergrammy
February 1st, 2009, 06:33 AM
I don't trim.

sandigirl
February 1st, 2009, 06:39 AM
I only trim once or twice a year but it's not because of damage. My ends are in great shape--VERY thick and full, but my hair grows SO fast it would be down to my knees in no time. While that may be great for some, BSL is the best for me. I do like it when ends look full, thick, and healthy. If mine were scraggly I would trim in a heartbeat. Good luck to everyone with your hair goals.

Unofficial_Rose
February 1st, 2009, 10:35 AM
I was trying to do the "no trimming" thing that works so well for some people, but my hair started to look very uneven and therefore could only look nice up in a ficcare/stick/ponytail. :(

This was because I'm growing out a multi-layered short cut and the sides were considerably shorter than the back. I also have bleach damage under my henndigo due to bad colour decisions. :brickwall

I cut it into a neat bob today and was lucky that it came out so even. Sad to lose the length but it looks much better. Hopefully I won't have to trim it for several months, but that depends how it looks.

On the other hand, my son never trims and his hair looks fine - it's about APL.

NebraskaChick84
February 1st, 2009, 11:45 AM
If you have no white dots, no splits, no visible damage how often is it reasonable to trim your hair? Or how not often, I should say!

And the "no trim" club thing, why? Because people have no damage? Or because people don't want to sacrifice the length?
I don't trim because I am lazy.

ZadenWillowfyre
February 1st, 2009, 11:53 AM
Well...Keeping up with a very small regular trim can help keep the ends from splitting in the first place by removing any weak tips that could potentially become problems but I wouldn't see it as necessary if you don't have damage. Another reason (as has been before stated) would be to even out your ends if your growing out from a layered cut.

KnightsLady
February 2nd, 2009, 06:02 AM

I don't see why you should have to trim at all if you don't have damage or layers you want to remove, don't wish to maintain at the length you are and don't mind what sort of hem you've got. They would be the main reasons for trimming.

No trim club, as others have said - for moral support. Frequent trimmers (like myself) sometimes need a little help to kick the habit.

jel
February 2nd, 2009, 06:15 AM
Today I had the scissors in my hand for an S&D and contemplated taking another couple inches off the longest, thinnest ends.

You could try S&Ding whilst your hair is in a braid - it's easy to find the splits on the tassel and any ends poking out from the length of the braid, but you're not tempted to trim as it would be completely uneven! :D

jivete
February 2nd, 2009, 08:18 AM
I wish I could not trim. But my hair would look scraggly if I didn't. Eventually I think I'll be able to trim less often, but some hair just isn't as durable as others.

I do like thick/blunt ends, especially on my fine/thin hair. Without them, my hair just looks sad and see-through.

However, I was a habitual over-trimmer and never got any growth. The "clubs" help people like me stay on goal.