PDA

View Full Version : Layers Support Thread

janeytilllie
January 29th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Hi Everyone :waving:

I am not sure if there is a layers support thread?

im very sorry if there is one.

I thought it might be cool to have a layers support thread for people who love their layers and people who hate them.

I thought it would be good to share tips, history, care ,advice,progress in growing out/ showing pretty layers off and support for those with layers.

My history with layers pics and all

I cut my hair back really short after playing wth a home blonde kit, the mess was horrible! So i put layers in.
Hair 2006 layerd
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=30543&albumid=2286&dl=1233273507&thumb=1http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=27982&albumid=2286&dl=1233271133&thumb=1

Hair in 2008 layers growing looking all funky
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=27983&albumid=2286&dl=1233271133&thumb=1http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=27984&albumid=2286&dl=1233271133&thumb=1http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=27985&albumid=2286&dl=1233271133&thumb=1

Hair now 2009 and what my hair would look like with no layers
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=29964&albumid=2286&dl=1233271133&thumb=1http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=29963&albumid=2286&dl=1233271133&thumb=1

At the moment im trying to grow the layers out and i am aiming for a straight hemline. So I am chopping off 0.5 inch every two months on my longest layer so all my layers will catch up. I will post pics of progress

I am finding that coconut oil helps alot, I rub abit on each night on my all my ends

Im finding that my layers at the ends have started to become very thin, How does one avoid this? my hair isnt split what cause thin ends?

Also is it possible to self trim with layers? any tips on that? Thanks

Do you ever get mad at your layers, and also get the temptation to chop all your layers off even?
I do ! lol :p

Thanks everyone :)

Forever_Sophie
January 29th, 2009, 05:49 PM
I had a love-hate relationship w/ layers all through elementary school! Was always growing them out then cutting them in LOL Now, I love them. Not lots, just nice long ones, down the side and toward the ends all over. Current inspiration:

http://img.makeupalley.com/0/8/1/5/1103331.JPG

http://img.makeupalley.com/0/8/1/5/1103333.JPG

No real tips, same as for any style, I love ABBA Nourishing (forget the new name). I avoid heat styling (though I do love the results!).

viking_quest
January 29th, 2009, 06:02 PM
I've learned to accept my layers. When my hair is longer, the shortest ones will give me an insta-u hemline but now they annoy me because they won't stay in updos.

dearladydisdain
January 29th, 2009, 08:00 PM
I have layers. I was layer-less for a long time and hated it. I love my layers :)

Fillette
January 29th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Me! me! I wanna join! I have layers. :D
Most days I love them but sometimes they drive me to tears (almost). And now that my hair is growing out, my longest layer seems a little thin compared to the rest of my hair. But still, I love layers in my hair.

Cereus
January 29th, 2009, 09:06 PM
I always liked layers because although my hair is fine there is a lot of it. When my hair was shorter it looked like bozo's hair if I didn't layer it. Now that my hair is longer the weight holds it down. I'm slowly trimming the layers off. Very slowly....

joyellen
January 29th, 2009, 09:11 PM
I liked my layers before joining LHC, when I used to straighten my hair a lot. Now that I don't and I've discovered I have some wave, they don't look so good. I'm planning on growing to waist and maintaining that length while i trim the layers off slowly.

amaiaisabella
January 29th, 2009, 09:56 PM
I do love my layers, as well as the angles around my face- mini layers, if you will :D

Forever_Sophie, your hair is beautiful and can I just say I LOVE the dress your friend is wearing (the one who took the picture)!

Heidi_234
January 30th, 2009, 01:32 AM
My hair's about 34" and I'm still at the BSL to Waist thread.
Why? Layers!
:justy:

Monsterkitti
January 30th, 2009, 02:12 AM
My layers as theyve grown seem to have all stopped at shoulder length so Im stuck with lots of hair down till shoulder and then much less down to BSL. Looks a bit silly but I will persevere with it :)

Im planning on maintaining at waist and then letting the layers grow out.

Katze
January 30th, 2009, 03:45 AM
Me!

My shortest layers are bangs I'm growing out, and these are almost chin length. Then I have the remains of a 'shaped' shag haircut, oh so trendy in 2004, oh such a pain to grow out now. These range from just below chin to the longest, an inch or more past BSL. I feel like a cheat calling myself BSL when only 1/8 of my hair is really that long!

At nape, my hair is quite thick, but at the ends it is even too thin for tiny elastics.

My hair does seem to have a serious natural taper even without the layers, but the layers were so severe that even trimming doesn't get me a blunt or straight hemline. However, my goal is to have the thickest part at waist. I hope I can get there, maybe when my baby (due in March) is a teenager?!?

rymorg2
January 30th, 2009, 04:20 AM
I love my layers because they help take out some excess weight.

I hate my layers because they make it hard to do updos and I constantly have sticky-outy pieces from them.

I go back and forth between wanting to grow them out and wanting to keep them. I'm going back and forth as we speak LOL. I just can't decide. If my hair gets much heavier I'm sure I'll keep them, as my hair is heavy anyway.

sigh.....

Forever_Sophie
January 30th, 2009, 06:58 AM
I do love my layers, as well as the angles around my face- mini layers, if you will :D

Forever_Sophie, your hair is beautiful and can I just say I LOVE the dress your friend is wearing (the one who took the picture)!

Oh no! Sorry!!! That's a pic of a girl from MTV's Search for Elle Woods, I just love her hair :) So sorry for the misunderstanding!

janeytilllie
January 30th, 2009, 08:53 AM
I've learned to accept my layers. When my hair is longer, the shortest ones will give me an insta-u hemline but now they annoy me because they won't stay in updos.

That annoys me too, trying to put my hair in updos and buns. I have layers sticking out all over the place, the only thing that helps really is hair pins to keep the layers all tucked in.
Yeah! for hair pins :cheese:lol :D

janeytilllie
January 30th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Me!

My shortest layers are bangs I'm growing out, and these are almost chin length. Then I have the remains of a 'shaped' shag haircut, oh so trendy in 2004, oh such a pain to grow out now. These range from just below chin to the longest, an inch or more past BSL. I feel like a cheat calling myself BSL when only 1/8 of my hair is really that long!

At nape, my hair is quite thick, but at the ends it is even too thin for tiny elastics.

My hair does seem to have a serious natural taper even without the layers, but the layers were so severe that even trimming doesn't get me a blunt or straight hemline. However, my goal is to have the thickest part at waist. I hope I can get there, maybe when my baby (due in March) is a teenager?!?

I'm growing out my bangs too :D at the moment they are shoulder length :cheese:

I am planning to grow my shortest layer which is BSL, to waist length then chop it all off even. I think I will reach this in about three years. I feel a cheat too! I call myself tailbone because my longest layers reach there but I think really im a BSL.

I think you will reach your goal maybe in two years? :D

janeytilllie
January 30th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Me! me! I wanna join! I have layers. :D
Most days I love them but sometimes they drive me to tears (almost). And now that my hair is growing out, my longest layer seems a little thin compared to the rest of my hair. But still, I love layers in my hair.

I feel like crying with my layers! They too have started to thin at the ends. But today i got a lovely compliment from a women for the first time on my hair!!!! She said "your hair is very long and pretty" I feel very happy!:cheese::D:D:D

suicides_eve
January 30th, 2009, 09:15 AM
i love my layers i make sure i get the long layers in, it makes my curls that much more pronounce... Even though i need then trimmed horribly i am am holding off part of the no trimming thread

Myrrh
January 30th, 2009, 09:17 AM
I love layers! No matter how long my hair gets, I will always have layers. Usually I like the razored layer look, but I got my hair cut and colored on Wednesday and I got them really straight across/blunt and I LOVE it. It looks so much thicker with straight-edged layers.

Dolly
January 30th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Layer-lover here! I grew it out to BSL with no bangs and no layers, and wore it that way for about 2 years (or thereabouts). I hated it that way. The layers (and bangs) just look better on me with my face shape.

Rohele
January 30th, 2009, 09:38 AM
I like a few layers in my hair for the most part - it gives it a tumbling down my back effect. The trick for me is to not get them cut too short or the waves get out of control. I like pieces framing my face as well. So at the moment I'm growing out a few, but not all, of my layers from an inverted bob.

Dreamernz
January 30th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Janey Tillie, I'm following the same method as you to get rid of the layers to gain full, healthy hair looool though I have to admit that layers do look beautiful and did suit me but that for longer hair I'd rather it was fuller :o :D:D:D

janeytilllie
January 30th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Janey Tillie, I'm following the same method as you to get rid of the layers to gain full, healthy hair looool though I have to admit that layers do look beautiful and did suit me but that for longer hair I'd rather it was fuller :o :D:D:D

I think the same too! :D when my hair was shorter they did look lovely they made my waves very pretty and full looking. But now my hair is long they have gone all spaghetti ends on me :confused:

1nuitblanche
January 30th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Can I join too? I've got layers from between chin and shoulder (growing out bangs and the layers to make them not obvious) all the way down to waist. I like having some layers--I get a serious case of inverted-triangle-hair syndrome without them. But right now, there are way to many for my liking--there are always pieces sticking out in my updos, braids look terrible, and the fake taper is annoying. Once I get a bit further past waist, I'm thinking about maintaining and just trimming the bottom layers off until the rest catches up to within 6" or so.

LaurelSpring
January 30th, 2009, 10:27 AM
I was madly into layers before LHC. It was the only way I knew how to handle longer hair. The layers helped me deal with some length. The problem with layers is that the only thing I could do to make it look good is use the curling iron so the entire bottom of my hair was nothing but white dots. Now that Im growing it out the layers just cause problems with updos and make my hemline look thin. I do want the wispy fairytale ends looks so they sort of do give me a false fairytale look. Im just going to leave them be and let them do their thing. I like the look of an uneven hem right now.

I dont know how to trim them other than S&D and Im pretty terrible at that.

PurpleAshes
January 30th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Has anyone come up with a way of self trimming layers?

I have many layers in my shoulder lenght hair, but the front and canopy layers have straight hair in the bottom 5 inches because of flat iron damage. I do not plan to trim it any time soon, but when I do, I really don't want to go to a hairstylist... nor do I want to loose the layers.

MsBubbles
January 30th, 2009, 10:34 AM

Some people have posted in the past year about trimming layers but I can't remember any keywords to look up (other than the obvious!).

I have layers that are about 2" shorter than the rest of my hair, plus some whispy bang bits that are shorter still but I don't care about them. I consider those to be disposable. I am maintaining at BSL to let the 2"-shorter ones grow down and help fill in my hemline.

Layers/razor look makes my hair look unkempt, dirty and unhealthy, even if it's not.

amaiaisabella
January 30th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Oh no! Sorry!!! That's a pic of a girl from MTV's Search for Elle Woods, I just love her hair :) So sorry for the misunderstanding!

Oh, whoops! Still pretty, though :)

HairyCarrie
January 30th, 2009, 10:48 AM
As a shorty, I'm struggling with what I want. I like the look of all one length and the ease it seems to offer for nice updos. Right now I have bits and pieces that fall out of the few I can do and I hate it. On the other hand, I have bangs and *on me* it just looks too harsh to have bangs and just one other length of hair. I want something softer and with a little rise to the top of the hair.

So I'm thinking all one length mostly, but with short stuff on the top. But oh, have I just described a mullet? I don't want that either!

So I still ponder the concepts... :smile:

leilamarie79
January 30th, 2009, 11:00 AM
I am just above shoulder length, and I have a ton of layers from when my hair was just 4" on top and even shorter everywhere else. Looks good from the back, but horrible from the front. When my hair was longer (BSL) I had layers in the front only to keep me from being taken over by my hair (it's pretty thick and I'm only 5'). I really liked that look. It's on the picture on my driver's license. I look at that to get inspiration to keep growing even though I'm a bit frustrated at how my hair looks in the front right now.

jivete
January 30th, 2009, 11:40 AM
I loved my layers when my hair was shorter, but now they just make the ends look too thin. I think my hair is too thin for layers, but if it was thicker, I'd probably keep them.

Right now I'm trying to figure out the best method for getting rid of them.

There's a pony tail method for cutting in layers that I imagine would work for maintaining them as well. I believe the higher you put the pony tail in and cut the end, the heavier the layering in. For extremes I believe you stick the pony tail at your forehead. I would, of course, google it first, but that's the method that is sticking in my head.

PurpleAshes
January 30th, 2009, 12:12 PM
There's a pony tail method for cutting in layers that I imagine would work for maintaining them as well. I believe the higher you put the pony tail in and cut the end, the heavier the layering in. For extremes I believe you stick the pony tail at your forehead. I would, of course, google it first, but that's the method that is sticking in my head.
Thanks a lot! I think I'll have to google it, and if I find good results I'll post them here;)

janeytilllie
January 30th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Can I join too? I've got layers from between chin and shoulder (growing out bangs and the layers to make them not obvious) all the way down to waist. I like having some layers--I get a serious case of inverted-triangle-hair syndrome without them. But right now, there are way to many for my liking--there are always pieces sticking out in my updos, braids look terrible, and the fake taper is annoying. Once I get a bit further past waist, I'm thinking about maintaining and just trimming the bottom layers off until the rest catches up to within 6" or so.

Of course you can! anyone can ;) welcome aboard :D

Yep braids are very hard for me too. My shortest layers always poke out, and my longest layers look horrible! :(

pdy2kn6
January 30th, 2009, 03:17 PM
i have had issues with my hair layers throughout my growth journey. I haven't cut my hair for about two years which was when i did get layers. I am always curious and hopeful that my hair layers will grow out naturally, giving my hair the appearance of one length hair (however also having fairytale ends). Does anyone know if this would happen? Sorry that might not make too much sense. i mean will layers (previously cut quite thickly), will they grow out when i reach terminal, or will my hair just continue growing long in the same style (i.e. fairytaling at the ends and still having obvious layers? i hope they just will grow out naturally and turn into all one length-ish fairytale ends...what do you guys think? sorry its a bit hard to explain what i am meaning lol

AmandaPanda
January 30th, 2009, 07:51 PM
I despised mine. I had hip-ish length hair in 2004, and cut it to shoulder length with lots of razor-cut layers. The result was sort of mullet-like. It was a paint to grow out

The cut:
http://rktunw.blu.livefilestore.com/y1plRqyT6TCHThuIsbFHaxbJVz1w_UgP6WQYoI_w3A7sZmVXYl S9nEMkMqyGIo-MIhBE85w-hM2w9A/shorthair.jpg

starting to grow it out (end of '04-beginning '05):
http://homepage.mac.com/annsofie.henriksson/hairtyping/PhotoAlbum19.html
(I've tried to get Fia to change this picture lol...it's so bad)

when it got longer it started to curl more:
http://rktunw.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pLq7MQZTcSrHaK3XC2qPRyj19s-8wA3Vez51VxQ_AjP0Q8rZdH7ZE7WAZN1Kbglz4Cj9rGOH0LZ0/c2005.jpg

and it just looked better the more it grew out. I never trimmed the layers...only the ends...to gradually get rid of the layers.

Lamb
January 30th, 2009, 08:39 PM
I just described my hairstyle as "mullet-crossed-with-triangle" because of the layers. I just hope I will be able to hold out until the end of March to trim the longest bit. I vowed not to trim until then, and I am going to keep my vow.
:justy: Why, why on earth did I have to have my hair cut in September???

Juneii
January 30th, 2009, 09:08 PM
I despise my layers because my hair bends too easily, they wave at the most awkward spots. I've been growing them out since summer last year because they looked so bad unless I flat iron them. flat ironing my hair makes the ends split like no tomorrow. Thankfully they're growing out now, I hope by graduation my layers would be long enough to stay flat with the rest of my hair and won't look so bad.

A'eorryn
January 31st, 2009, 02:18 AM
*jumps up and down* ooh me me!! I have natural layers from growing out a shaved head - so the biggest difference in visual "length" is the distance from my crown to my nape, which is only about 5 inches. I intend to keep them until I hit terminal length (with some more cut in around my face at about collarbone-length when it gets longer) because: a) my hair has always been so bulky that with a blunt cut I end up with club hair - you know, when your hair looks like an upside down club, just cheesy :p; and b) I have a rather gaunt and sharp-featured face (my cheekbones could take your eye out ;)), so without layers to soften it up a tad my face would look that much harsher :D I really do like the way they look, especially since the ends flip out beautifully with my big strong spirals, but boy do I feel the pain of bits and pieces sticking out when I try to do ANYTHING with it - I can only now just get most of it up in a pony at the very top/back of my head, with the rest just sorta going along for the ride but being loosed out all over the place as the day progresses. I wouldn't even dream of trying a braid, and it's VERY discouraging when it looks to be armpit length but a tieback at the base of my skull only holds like 1/3 of it :p I also measure differently than everyone else does because of it - I won't say my hair is 22" (which it is by the standard method) because it just isn't! 22" on me would be almost to my bellybutton from the front, and it isn't anywhere near that long, so I measure literally. Of course the versatility will grow with the hair, and I will always prefer the look - and by the time it gets REALLY long it won't even matter since the layers are so close to each other anyway. So I don't think I will ever be tempted to blunt cut it (though I do wonder if at terminal-length I would still end up with club-hair :p) - faerytale ends for life, lol! :)

~A'eorryn

rymorg2
January 31st, 2009, 04:33 AM

I have many layers in my shoulder lenght hair, but the front and canopy layers have straight hair in the bottom 5 inches because of flat iron damage. I do not plan to trim it any time soon, but when I do, I really don't want to go to a hairstylist... nor do I want to loose the layers.

Hi purpleashes...I'm a stylist....

I just wrote an article for the LHC in the misc. section called "From a Stylist's Perspective". I went into self trimming in it some. That ponytail method that you hear about is very touch and go. I don't recommend it just becaue it's TOO easy to mess it up. I've seen too many people come into my salon to get their hair fixed because they've tried the ponytail method and botched it. And unfortunately, I have yet to find a way of self trimming layers (even my own) that is good. Sorry.

Fwiw, I'm with you. I'm staying away from scissors and want to keep my layers as well, but not sure how much layering I want, so I'm just letting it grow for the next year. I wish I could just do mine at home but I can't justify the possible chop job I'd do on it.

Periwinkle
January 31st, 2009, 04:54 AM
I have layers and I hate them. I've been growing them out with monthly trimming (though I've now moved to every two months) for a while and I've removed my bottom layer.

I combed my hair out while damp today and it looks like the layers I thought were at APL are actually a couple of inches below! That means I'll definitely be free of those ones by the end of 2009, probably sooner. All that's left after that is some random layers that are less severe and some wacko shaping. Hooray!