PDA

View Full Version : How to wear my hair up?

GrowAlready
March 28th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Hello everyone! It is so good to see this place up and running. I didn't post much at the old place but hope to change that this time around! My question is about hairstyles. See, I am more the sporty-casual type and while I would love to have fancy hair sticks (I tried them once and ended up poking my son in the eye!), I think they are just a bit too fancy for me. The only thing I can come up with is a ponytail and a simple braid. I am not very good at doing it myself and my dh won't help me. I have got to figure something out because I plan on camping a lot this summer and my hair is just past mid back. Suggestions welcome!!! Thanks!

KajiKodomo
March 28th, 2008, 02:25 PM
How about a bun or braided bun. Both are simple and with the braided bun, it looks more complicated than it is (besides if there are any irregularities with your braid, it isn't obvious when you bun it).

Unfortunately, I can't think of many "sporty" styles. I just wear my hair in a ponytail when I have hiked in the past, but I plan on doing buns more often because it keeps my hair completely out of the way. I would braid it if it weren't for these stupid layers. Haha!

Hope that helps!

Xanthippe
March 28th, 2008, 03:13 PM
The first thing I thought of for camping was a French braid. Can you do one of these? It stays a lot longer in my hair than a regular braid.

Here's a good tutorial for French braiding on yourself: http://dreamweaverbraiding.com/braids/self_french.htm

Also, you can divide your hair in half along the part and make two French braids for even tighter control.

atlantaz3
March 28th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Have you tried the pony tail lacers? Some people make their own, but here is one site http://www.hairwraps.net/ponytailwraps/26/18-inch-pony-tail-wrap
I'm sure there are more out there. I haven't tried these yet but will during the summer for jogging.

Curlsgirl
March 28th, 2008, 04:37 PM
I was going to suggest a french braid also. Even if you put a couple of weaves at the top of the braid it helps to hold it and gives it a prettier look I think. I pretty much keep my hair in a braid in the summer or a bun with a stick so I can mist it and keep myself cool! I guess I'm not much help! :D

spidermom
March 29th, 2008, 08:40 AM
The inverted french (a.k.a. Dutch, a.k.a. underhand projected) holds better than the french.

jennydaesy
March 31st, 2008, 08:35 PM
french braid or english braid

HairColoredHair
March 31st, 2008, 08:38 PM
Twin french braids (french pigtails) are ultra sporty... I see them on the college v-ball and such teams all the time! They also wear a lot of double braids.

mommy2one05
March 31st, 2008, 10:44 PM
ok what is a braided bun, dutch braid, english braid? the only way I know to braid is with 3 strands going over each other.

Delilah
March 31st, 2008, 10:50 PM
I couldn't survive without cinnamon buns fastened with a scrunchie. Fast, easy, I can do it with one hand or while waiting for a light to turn green. I recommend thick terry-cloth elastics, the kind you find at a dollar store.

mommy2one05
April 2nd, 2008, 09:26 AM
how do you do the cinnamon bun? thanks in advance!

Anje
April 2nd, 2008, 10:24 AM
Personally, I still survive in buns when camping, and I'm not one for fancy hairsticks either. Short plain hairsticks that are just long enough to barely emerge from each side of a bun work well and are little danger to those around you. Wavelength pins (aluminum double-pointed knitting needles like you'd use for socks bent in half) work really well too and aren't pokey.

mommy2one05, a cinnamon bun is your basic twisted bun. You gather hair into a ponytail, twist it, then wrap it around itself so that each coil goes outside the coil before it. It ends up fairly flat, like a cinnamon roll (yes, the food). Compare to a "Bee butt bun", which is twisted similarly, but each coil goes underneath the one before it, so the thing sticks out from your head.

Delilah
April 2nd, 2008, 12:06 PM
Yup, What Anje said.
I just twist my ponytail until it is a fairly solid 'stick' then coil it around the base of the pony in a spiral. Wrap your hair around and around in that 'cinnamon bun' shape until you run out of hair. Use a soft scrunchie or elastic wrapped a couple times around the base. I prefer large soft elastics as they help hold the ends in place without bending them.
Does that make sense to you?

Another thing you can try is making a single braid of any style you are comfortable with and folding it up and under, then securing the tassel and base with an elastic so it's like a hanging loop.

doodlesmart
April 2nd, 2008, 12:14 PM
My standby for camping or outdoors work is a cinnibun with either my ketylos or a fork and then I put a buff or bandana over the whole thing.

heidihug
April 2nd, 2008, 12:39 PM
Have you tried the pony tail lacers? Some people make their own, but here is one site http://www.hairwraps.net/ponytailwra...pony-tail-wrap (http://www.hairwraps.net/ponytailwraps/26/18-inch-pony-tail-wrap)

Thanks for the link, atlanta, I just ordered two of the 24" leather pony wraps. I have tried without success to make them - it's harder than it looks! I will keep you all posted as to how I like them. It seems they will be nice for keeping a pony in place when working or playing outside.

GrowAlready
April 3rd, 2008, 09:39 AM
Sorry... I have been meaning to get back on here and thank you for all of your wonderful suggestions! My granny passed away the day after I wrote this so I have been in my own little world since then. Thanks for the great stuff! I love those lacer things... cute! My dd could even use one of those. Need to go to Hobby Lobby and get some needles... (how to bend them???). Afraid if I go I will buy MORE yarn and my hubby will kill me!!!

Patrycja
April 3rd, 2008, 10:50 AM
www.longhairloom.com and click on the Style Station Central(???)

It was recommened to me by other LHC members and I have come to love it.I actually registered as a user(under the same name as here)the other day.I do have to tweek the styles to my hair length,since many of them are for very long haired gals.

Tapioca
April 3rd, 2008, 05:10 PM
Those double-ended sock knitting needles can be bent by hand. You gotta put a little elbow grease into it, but it can be done. Lots of people wrap it in a handkerchief (so it won't scratch) and bend it around a doorknob.

Another style that I do is a folded braid. Do a regular old English braid, then flip it up, tuck the ends between the braid and your head, and hold it there with a slide or a clip. I'll take a few pins to the ends to make them hide better, but that's not neccessary.

squiggyflop
April 3rd, 2008, 05:32 PM
I couldn't survive without cinnamon buns fastened with a scrunchie. Fast, easy, I can do it with one hand or while waiting for a light to turn green. I recommend thick terry-cloth elastics, the kind you find at a dollar store.
i recoment satin scrunchys and bendies (http://www.ezdoozhair.com/site/1614623/product/BEN-54104) you can actually make your own bendies and they stay secure even while running. its just a wire wrapped with scrunched fabric... it looks kinda fancy when you do it right

WritingPrincess
April 3rd, 2008, 05:34 PM
I bent my size 2 needles by hand very easily. Hey, I bent them when I didn't want to! They do wiggle out when I put them in, though. I wonder why.

birdiefu
April 3rd, 2008, 06:46 PM
ok what is a braided bun, dutch braid, english braid? the only way I know to braid is with 3 strands going over each other.

Braided bun- a braid of some sort that is then coiled into a bun-shape and fastened to the head

Dutch braid- 3-strand braid made by placing the outside strands *under* the middle

English braid- Braid that is started at the nape with 3 whole strands. Opposed to a French braid where you start up on the scalp and add to the strands as you go.

French braids are braided with the outside strands going over the middle strand. English usually the same- I don't know of a particular name for a Dutch-style English braid.

With buns, a cinnamon bun is twisted placing each new coil outside the previous one like a snail shell. The ends are then tucked under and the bun secured with your hairtoy of choice. A bee-butt bun has the coils placed beneath each other so it rises up the more coils you make.

The bun that I've always made since I was a little girl is sort of a combo of those, but looks pretty much like a cinnamon bun. A true cinnamon bun doesn't hold well for my hair, what I do is make a loose bee-butt, then take the top coil, gently enlarge the coil, and pull it down over the lower coils. Then fasten a hairstick through the now-outermost coil (that used to be the first coil). If your hair isn't slippery, your hair itself can hold the bun in place without a hairtoy. It's super quick for me and what I wear my hair in 95% of the time (the other 4.9% is usually an English braid) since my baby has quick grabby hands and tangly fingers :p.

GrowAlready- I'm sorry about your granny and wish your family the best. I hope the suggestions in this thread can help you out.

mommy2one05
April 4th, 2008, 09:15 AM
www.longhairloom.com (http://www.longhairloom.com) and click on the Style Station Central(???)

It was recommened to me by other LHC members and I have come to love it.I actually registered as a user(under the same name as here)the other day.I do have to tweek the styles to my hair length,since many of them are for very long haired gals.

I loved this link. Thanks!!