PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Braided Chinese Bun?

UrbanEast
January 29th, 2009, 11:12 AM
I keep trying to do this, but I have two problems:

1. I can't make the braids that close together because I have to bring them out to the side when I braid. :(

2. My ends are tapered, so the tassel is really long, and it doesn't really stay tucked under.

If anyone has solutions for either of these problems, I'd be really eager to hear them!

Thanks! R.

Isilya
January 29th, 2009, 11:28 AM
You can make a ponytail first and then split it into 2 halfs, braiding those. I do this for a rope braided Chinese bun, but it should work for regular braids as well.

For the long tassels, you can use an extra hairband to tie them together after wrapping (better hold already), then coil the ends as if you were making a tiny, loose bun and tuck the mini-bun under. Pin in place.

HTH!

LeaM07
January 29th, 2009, 11:46 AM
I start with a low ponytail also, and I think my taper actually helps mine stay in place. :)

I also use hairbands (ouchless ones) at the bottoms of my braids, which gives it that extra bit of friction underneath. I never thought of tying them together, though (good idea, then they can't unwind!).

If I need a bit of extra security, I'll use Amish or bobby pins to tighten things up, or maybe a second hairstick.

Since I discovered the Pinless Braided Bun (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=10324), though, I've been too lazy to go to the trouble. :silly:

Aisha25
January 29th, 2009, 11:50 AM
How about bringing the braids over your face to finish them off? or you can try braiding them on the oppesite sides like the left one braid on the right side of shoulder and same for right but on left side:shrug:

LeaM07
January 29th, 2009, 11:52 AM
I've also seen some here tie a scrunchie or scarf around the whole thing at the end... adds security and hides imperfections as well. :)

ETA: I also braid over my shoulder, but putting it into a ponytail first and turning my head as far as possible in the other direction when I start seem to make it work ok for me.

may1em
January 29th, 2009, 12:32 PM
I almost always use a ponytail to start with Chinese buns, whether I braid or not. I usually use hair ties made out of old pantyhose, so they're not damaging and they match my hair.
If I don't have a hair tie handy, I'll split my hair in two, tie one half out of the way, gather the hair where I want the braid to start, bring it to the opposite side of my head, and braid that way. Then when the first braid is done, let down the other half and repeat the process on the other side. You're still doing the braid off to the side, just making sure to start it where you want it. It's important to do each braid on the opposite side (braid the left braid after pulling that hair to the right ear, and vice versa). I always need two sticks plus a couple hair pins if I'm not using a hair tie, but if I am, I can use two sticks or one stick plus a couple pins.
I also will put two French or Dutch braids into a Chinese bun at my nape sometimes. I just stab the stick under both braids about one braid bump above my nape hairline, cross the two braids under the stick, and proceed as normal.

KatKeRo
January 29th, 2009, 12:49 PM
I make a ponytail. Divide my hair in 2 and braid each part.: left to the left and right to the right. i don't botter to tie them of. Stick my stick behind my ponytailholder and do the bun. I secure my bun always with Amishpins.