PDA

View Full Version : Why do you have long hair?

Fairlight63
January 29th, 2009, 09:31 AM
I was wondering why did you grow out your hair long? what do you like about having long hair? What don't you like about having long hair?

The reason that I wanted to grow my hair long is because:
1. In the winter time it is warm on my neck, it is almost like having a scarf on my neck.

2. It is easier than having it short & having to wash it & set it & dye it. When it is long I just wash it & put it up.

3. It saves money in having to go to the beauty shop every 6-8 wks. for a hair cut. Then come home & have to wash & redo it, because it looks awful!

4. You can fix it up into different styles. When it is short you can't do very much with it.

5. It is different - being older (63) I look around at other older women & they all have short hair either poodle perm cuts or short hair dyed a weird color. Or cut too short & they look like a man

6. If I am having a bad hair day I can put it up in a bun, braid or something.

7. I have always wanted long hair, but seem for some reason to always cut it off.

The Bad things:
1. My husband is giving me a hard time having it long. He wants me to cut it. He says that it makes me look older. I reminded him that I am old - I am 63 going on 64 soon. I think that he just doesn't like long hair - period.
2. It is hard to comb when it is wet - a lot of tangles.
3. It is dryer in the winter time & I have to put oil or something on it so that I can comb it.

slz
January 29th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Because when left to its own devices, it just keeps on growing :D

Chanteuse87
January 29th, 2009, 09:41 AM
I'm primarily growing my hair long because I can't afford expensive haircuts every 6 weeks -- now I get a good trim every 6 months! My hair grows really quickly, and even though it's fine, I have a lot of it, so it's not difficult to keep long. I also prefer the color of my hair once it's seen the sun for a while. Not that I lay out and purposely damage it! No, just the natural amount of sun that APL-waist length hair gets :)

One thing I will say for short hair; it dries a so much more quickly! I never did anything with my hair short, the natural wave took care of "styling", so it was just as easy, there were just fewer options for hair do's.

AJoifulNoise
January 29th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Started out for religious reasons. But, now I grow it for me and me alone. I grow it because I like it long. It's much more fun and more attactive on me than short hair.

The good: updos, unique hair toys, the gasp of awe when I let it down from a bun, and the silky feel of it all around me when it's down.

The bad: when it gets stuck on/in/around things, when things get stuck on/in it, how frequent I must wash it.

I love my hair. :inlove:

kdaniels8811
January 29th, 2009, 09:50 AM
The Bad things:
1. My husband is giving me a hard time having it long. He wants me to cut it. He says that it makes me look older. I reminded him that I am old - I am 63 going on 64 soon. I think that he just doesn't like long hair - period.
2. It is hard to comb when it is wet - a lot of tangles.
3. It is dryer in the winter time & I have to put oil or something on it so that I can comb it.

I love long hair because it makes me feel femine. Pay no attention to husband "not liking" long hair, he probably is concerned that it will make you attractive to other men! Same when the guys do not support weight loss efforts...

In regards to hard to comb due to tangles and dry in the winter - please read the catnip tea thread, I swear by this stuff! Soaking the ends of my hair in catnip tea once a week has made my dry, brittle hair glossy, and it has QUIT BREAKING OFF! and is actually growing. I am thrilled.

I am in my fifties and do not plan on cutting my hair short ... ever ... despite comments from friends and family. Why do people think you have to cut your hair off when you get older? If it looks healthy, then wear it as long as you can. And there is a ton of information in this forum on how to keep it long and healthy. Good luck!

HildeMV
January 29th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Makes me feel fancy.:D

It's feminine, and different. And I can wear different braided styles.

spidermom
January 29th, 2009, 10:03 AM
It seems that some people around here don't have much imagination. You can do plenty with short hair: smooth it down, spike it up, part it here, part it there, twist it back and secure with little clippies or crossed jeweled hair pins, dye/bleach it without worrying about hair damage because you're going to get it cut anyway, etc, etc.

I grew mine because I've been admiring long hair all my life; it reminds me of a waterfall of shiny beautifulness. I've been telling people since I was a child that I was going to grow my hair to be very long. Then I'd get side-tracked by colors or perms or cute new cuts and never got around to growing it until my mid-40s. If not now, when?

suicides_eve
January 29th, 2009, 10:03 AM
it covers up(hopefully) my mommy boobs:D

i just like the feeling of it surrounding me all romantic like and what not..

wolf girl
January 29th, 2009, 10:06 AM
I like feeling and looking like a girl. Also, I'm lazy. I would hate to have to wash, blow fry fix, curl, spray every morning. It takes me less than 2 minutes to brush and put up in a figure 8 bun. And some days I juist brush and go!!!

CrystalStar
January 29th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Ooo let's see :)

Advantages

Heehee like you said the warmth, I'm only 16 and do a morning paper round in -8 celcius conditions, and tucking my hair into my hoodie REALLY helps :p

It's kinda unusual as well..everyone at my school has APL length hair and even me with my BSL hair gets noticed for it being 'really long'

I had super short hair once, so I guess I gotta go to the other extreme now :p That way no-one can say I havn't tried having short hair when it's really long :)

Disadvantages :(

All the oiling, and conditioners, and care, and obsessing I do... It can't be healthy to be honest lol

My lack of skills at updos mean it doesn't look anything special yet :(

janeytilllie
January 29th, 2009, 10:18 AM
I started growing my hair out because I hated having short hair, having short hair did not suit me at all! :(

I love having long hair because I can now do lots of pretty buns with pretty hair toys! :cheese:

I find having long hair is very verstile, if say my hair is greasy from over oiling I can simply put it up in a bun to cover it, When I had short hair I could n't do this I had to wash all over again.

There is only one thing that annoys me a little with having long hair

1. Drying! it takes three hours for my hair to dry naturally :mad:

Hay22
January 29th, 2009, 10:34 AM
1. I hadn't had long hair since I was 12 and really wanted to start growing it out to see what I'd look like

2. I was tired of crazy stylists making me cry (imagine walking in with shoulder-length hair, telling someone to take off an inch of damage, and walking out with chin length)

3. I thought I was going to donate it.

4. Southern boys love long hair. ;)

Katla
January 29th, 2009, 10:46 AM
It makes me feel so feminine :) I've never had it cut shorter that just past shoulder length, and while that looked good, too, I just love having long hair to play with... especially since my favourite hairtoys are meant for long hair. There's a small bit of religious reasons involved as well, but mostly I just love having long, healthy hair to play with.

Downsides... yeah. 2-3 hours for my hair to dry naturally? Not fun :(

Rimi
January 29th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Was looking for tips on hair care and came across this one site where the woman's hair was LONG, as in to her knees at least. And she wrote that every woman should grow out her hair at least once, all the way till it stops growing, just to see how long it can get. For some reason, that grabbed my attention and I just wanted to know! Then, I figured I'd cut it off to give to Locks of Love. Having made that decision I finally came upon this site and learned that LOL wasn't a good idea. So, I'm growing it out still, just to see. I just want to see. I'll decide from there if I keep it at that length or cut back to waist or even BSL. Who knows.

Bad. Well, I don't like some of the reactions I've gotten. Like one guy (who was giving an estimate for a job we wanted done) made some comment about the 60s. I'm only 47 this year, so WTH? Also, women tend to be snotty about it. Usually women with the poodle hair. And it's going to be a challenge to let the gray grow in because I just don't want to cut back to get rid of the dyed stuff. But other than that, I love having long hair. It's all good.

elbow chic
January 29th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Curiosity-- it's been short, it's been medium-length, and it's even been pretty long (but v. unhealthy.)

I want to see what it is like when it's long and well-cared-for.

Also, I have an interest in folk/traditional/older styles of women's dress, and letting my hair grow fits neatly into that tack-- why not go with it?

Mishka_84
January 29th, 2009, 11:38 AM
1: I think long hair can be very beautiful.

2: I like being able to do updos if I want to.

3: I don't think short hair really suits me.

4: I LOVE my hair, I like to have it down and show it off.

joyellen
January 29th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Like one guy (who was giving an estimate for a job we wanted done) made some comment about the 60s. I'm only 47 this year, so WTH?

That's funny because one of the reasons I'm growing out my hair is because I've always loved how the hippies looked with their long hair. :p Sometimes I think I was born in the wrong time. Anyway, another reason is because my hair does not cooperate without lots of straight ironing when short.

Mrs.Hildy
January 29th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Just my opinion on your DH.

In the last few years my MIL and SIL both refused to kiss their husbands when they grew out a beard. Both men started growing the beards when away from their wives for a time - with BIL, he was on a Navy submarine for 6 months, and with FIL she was away visiting relatives for a month.

I think that is just wrong to manipulate someone like that.

My DH wanted to grow out a handlebar moustache, waxed and everything. I told him gently that I didn't like it, and then moved on. I didn't treat him differently or nag him. I figure that it's his face, and that if he wants to do that, who am I to stop him? True, I have to look at his face more than he does, but it's still not my decision. And I wasn't objecting to facial hair *at all,* just the particular style.

After about a month DH got sick of the handlebar and trimmed it. He says he trimmed it because I didn't care for it, but he also doesn't remember whether or not I nagged him about it - believe me, I remember!!! It took a lot of self restraint (he has a bad memory anyway).

I recently went from waist-length hair to just below shoulder. DH cut it, and he did it shorter than I expected, but it is growing. And he does have a preference that I have my hair at least shoulder-length. So it is a bit weird to me that he trimmed it so short, because he really likes it long.

So I guess all this rambling is just to say that I think it's reasonable to *choose* to do what you know your spouse likes, but I also think that it is unreasonable to require someone to wear their hair (facial or otherwise) the way you want.

Your DH has made his preference clear, for whatever reason. Maybe you can look at some pictures of updos with him and ask if there are any that he likes. Or maybe you will choose to cut it. That's up to you. And I think it's wrong for him to nag you about it. He wouldn't like it if you did the same to him.

nienna42
January 29th, 2009, 12:04 PM
I have long hair because long hair is pretty. Any other pros and cons are of minuscule importance compared to this.

Also because I'd likely have to pay massive amounts of money to find a stylist skilled enough to do anything with my thick, wavy, frizzy hair that won't hold a curl or stay straight, and I'd have to continue paying massive amounts of money every month to maintain the style.

I had short-ish hair briefly at the end of high school, and I probably spent about the same amount of time on it as I spend on my long hair. I just prefer the kinds of care that long hair requires. For example, it takes me 20 minutes to comb my hair out if I'm being gentle, but if I'm going that slowly, I find combing my hair relaxing. I usually do it at night. When I had short hair, I'd spend 20 minutes every morning wrestling with a curling iron when I didn't even want to be out of bed.

Coriander
January 29th, 2009, 12:20 PM
I have long hair now because I've had long hair for most of my life. I did cut it short when I joined the Navy Reserves because I wasn't going to have time to wash or dry it given the 2 1/2 minutes we had for showering!!!

Since boot camp, I've been growing. That was in January 2004 and I haven't stopped since. I did get a trim or two but that was almost a year ago.

Advantages: my BF loves my long hair and compliments me on it all the time :heart: ; I love having people stare at me because of it and getting compliments on updos; it's fun to play with; during boring lectures I can daydream about different updos with new hairtoys (yes, I admit it); fun afternoons spent in the hair aisles

Disadvantages: when BF accidentally lies on my braid (ow!); the hours of drying time; Turbie-Twist towels not being long enough; getting hair stuck in the car door

fun thread :D

twilight
January 29th, 2009, 12:37 PM
1) i "feel more like me" with long hair, whatever that means.

2) it's pretty :)

3) i like to play with it and have different styles

4) something tells me that since, as others have said, 'it just keeps growing,' maybe we are supposed to just let it grow? i've read some really interesting theories about long hair and personal power (not just in the bible, though it's interesting to find there also and in other religions) that made me think "gee, who knows?" plus hair, being old cells still attached to the living body, carries its own cellular memory which seems like it might be a useful thing to have around. ...?

peachrose
January 29th, 2009, 12:40 PM
My whole life I have admired and longed for long hair. When my parents were married by mom had TB length hair and then about BSL when I was little. Since she had around a 1b hair and my sister and I had more like 2c hair she had no idea how to care for it and always kept ours quite short.

As a teen I had very short (pixie to bob) for years and dyed it all sorts of crazy colours, cut it myself with kitchen scissors too! I used to see other girls and wish I had long hair but I guess I was just to impulsive to grow it out.

About 2 1/2 years ago I got it cut just below the chin, which got rid of all the dyed bits and started to grow from there. I decided to just stick it out and grow it as long as I could. About 6 months ago I found LHC and stopped using my flat iron and started caring for it properly. I love the look of long hair on me (on anyone really) and plan to grow it much longer. I think it looks pretty and old-fashioned. It fits with my style, I wear mostly dresses, and I love that it is unique....

This is a fun thread!

ecologystudent
January 29th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Because it fits better with my self image of me.

I don't find it any easier than short hair- when it's short, I wash it, and then ignore it. When it's long, I wash it, braid or pony tail it, and then ignore it. It's not cheaper- I don't use anything besides conditioner and water anyway.

But, it looks like me. I think I look too much like an urbanite (no offense meant) with short hair, and I am most certainly not. I think long hair fits better with the more down to earth lifestyle I crave- more hippie, more hiker, more farmer.

And besides, it's more impressive!

Jessikinz
January 29th, 2009, 01:06 PM
When I had short hair, I found a lot of nice things to do with it. I clipped it up in different ways, zig-zag parted it, flipped it out, and basically just created my own little cute styles. Long hair is fun, but short hair is fun too.

My hair is much longer now, waist length. So as it grew I had to learn different ways to keep it out of the way. I really do love long hair. I always wanted to have long hair all of my life. But as a child, I was always forced to get it super short because I wouldn't take care of it. As I grew older, I started to do things with it. I miss doing those things, but even if you do have short hair, you can find a million ways to do something with it. :)

I like the shine of my long hair and the feel of it when it brushes against my back. It's a whole different feeling having this length of hair. I intend to keep growing it.

The things I don't like, is the fact that it gets everywhere. In food, on my clothes and other people's clothes, and on the floor. Also in the sink and bath tub. Yikes.

Hair, hair, everywhere,
everywhere I see my hair.
hehe :)

LacieRene
January 29th, 2009, 01:08 PM
I just love the way long hair looks. There aren't many things more feminine than long healthy hair. I'm a bigger girl, and I know I don't fit the conventional definition of beauty. But now matter how much you weigh, there is no denying the appeal of beautiful hair. Nothing makes me feel sexier than my husband running his finers through my hair. And it brings back good memories for me. When I was really young I had hair to the middle of my back. One of my earliest memories is my mom brushing my hair and telling me I had the prettiest hair she'd ever seen. Then when I was 4 my parents divorced and my dad got custody of us and the first thing he did was whack our hair off to our ears. I understand 2 little girls with all that hair was overwhelming, but it felt like a physical blow. So yeah, long hair is good.

Norwegian_Metal
January 29th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Because it's something humans can do. Most other mammals can't, don't grow long hair.
Because it keeps my head warm.
Norse Paganism.
Cause i love headbanging to metal way to much, and it just isn't the same without hair.

Rohele
January 29th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Because I'm a long hair girl at heart and I enjoy being able to tie it back/wear it up. It's also cheaper, becuase I'm not going for trims every 6 weeks.

The downside for me is finding the shed hairs everywhere, and the clogged bathtub drains, and the fact that my husband isn't too keen on it (although since he has to deal with the bathtub drains, perhaps that's why he's not so fond of my hair :rolleyes: )

FB
January 29th, 2009, 01:37 PM
I have long hair because I swore I would never have short hair again. However, it was not really long until someone inspired me to grow my hair longer and that has been some of this best inspiration I have received. I love my hair long, it keeps me warm, I get noticed and mainly just cause I can and I am greatful that I can.

The downside is getting use to it being long. I get my hair rolled up in the seatbelt or window and I get tangled in my hair when I sleep. However, I will get teh hang of it and all will be good.

Butterflylady
January 29th, 2009, 01:52 PM
It's inspiring to hear from women over 40 who have long hair. I'm 41 and finally growing my hair out. It makes me feel much more feminine and I get compliments on it. It also saves a lot of money on hair cuts. I can do a lot more with it now, too.

rockkcor
January 29th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Because it is part of my body and I love it!
Because it is rebellious (for a man and woman)!
Because hair is nothing but life!

Because one has to be of special personality to grow it long – patience, calmness…

going gray
January 29th, 2009, 02:02 PM
I've always admired older women with long beautiful hair. I've never grown my hair longer then 23" always got to that point & had someone convince me I was too old, I just turned 62!

Realize now that is a bunch is bull, & as long as it's healthy I'm not chopping it this time, besides after many failed attempts at short hair styles, they simply don't suit me I made a promise to myself to grow my hair to BSL.

As for my husband, he thinks I'm simply "hair obsessed" well I am! Every once in awhile he'll see a photo of me with short hair & say, "l think that style looks better short" I've learned the hard way to just ignore him! Can't think of anything more elegant than a woman, of any age, with a gorgeous updo or long flowing hair beautifully taken care of.

Grow your hair to your liking & enjoy it!

Beatnik Guy
January 29th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Erm, why not? :frog:

OK, because I like it. :D
I've had long hair my whole adult life and can't remember a time when I didn't admire long hair.

Stacy_E
January 29th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Actually, I have long hair because of the Long Hair Community! I was searching the web a couple years ago on how to grow long hair because my husband wanted to grow his hair long (we'd just retired from our engineering jobs), and I found LHC. I was soon inspired by all the beautiful long hair here, and I discovered I wanted to grow my hair too! Throughout my teen and adult years, my hair rarely got beyond shoulder-length--now after 2 years of growing it's a couple inches past BSL!

So you guys inspired me to grow my hair. Now that I have hair that's probably the longest it's ever been in my life, I am enjoying how it looks and feels, how I look and feel.

Botticelli Gold
January 29th, 2009, 03:40 PM
When I was young my mother didnt know how to deal with my curls, saying it was "bushy", and would have it thinned out causing awful flyaways, and would insist on having my haircut into a mullet. I hated it. Hence began my fascination with long hair. As soon as I could, I grew it.

Radulfr
January 29th, 2009, 03:44 PM
The reasons that I wanted to grow my hair long is because:
1. Keeping it neat is much less troublesome to me than short hair was. I can pull it back so it doesn't get tangled in the wind - and go!

2 It's a lot cooler in the summer - pulled back.

3. It feels like me. I really love braids and you can't braid short hair. My hair has been growing out since 2000, so why stop now? I want to see if I can reach waistlength. Or beyond.

What I don't like about it? That it hasn't grown longer faster.

Anje
January 29th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Decided to grow when I realized there wasn't a good reason to keep cutting it, and I wanted to see what it would be like long. I like it this way. Now I want to see what it's like longer.

Carolyn
January 29th, 2009, 04:07 PM
The main reason I have it long is because I like long hair. Period. It's pretty and makes me feel pretty. I enjoy taking care of it and styling it. It's also different and being a 60s chick I like going against the grain. I've never once been told to my face that I am too old for it. I've also never asked anyone's opinion about it. The older I get the more comfortable I am in my own skin.

DaveDecker
January 29th, 2009, 04:56 PM
... Why do people think you have to cut your hair off when you get older?

Because they've been brainwashed.

My lack of skills at updos mean it doesn't look anything special yet :(

Actually, long hair is special whether or not it's in an updo. :)

4. Southern boys love long hair. ;)

Northern boys love long hair.
Eastern boys long long hair.
And Western boys love long hair, too. :D

Well, I don't like some of the reactions I've gotten. Like one guy (who was giving an estimate for a job we wanted done) made some comment about the 60s. I'm only 47 this year, so WTH?

It's ironic; some of these same people are the ones who claim that long hair is unprofessional (whereas, in your vignette, he was the one being unprofessional by raising the topic of your hair when you were just trying to get an objective cost estimate for some work). :rolleyes:

... hair, being old cells still attached to the living body, carries its own cellular memory which seems like it might be a useful thing to have around. ...?

Except when being tested for illicit drug use. :p (well, that may not be a problem for most all of us.) :)

My answers:

(1) I grew it out because I had felt compelled to have it short for a long time, and wanted it to be long again.

(2) I have a very strong preference to have long hair. Incidentally, I have found it to be a great conversation starter.

(3) Several trifling annoyances, the sum total of which pale in comparison to what I like about having long hair. :thumbsup:

Juneii
January 29th, 2009, 05:26 PM
it makes me feel feminine. That and I have small boobs. Having long hair kinda consoles me.
I remember once some old man outside my PE class a few years ago told his friend that he thought I was a guy when I kissed my boyfriend goodbye. My hair was actually pretty long at that time, about mid-back/waist but it was up in a ponytail. hrmph. I can't believe I was so upset about that then, I even had bangs cut because I didn't want it to happen again. I forgot that it was an old man who probably couldn't see very well anyway.

JamieLeigh
January 29th, 2009, 05:38 PM
I've always had it long, and I've always loved keeping it that way, and regretted every haircut I've ever had. :doh::scissors:

I love it long because I love the way it looks and feels. It's great to be wearing it down, and feel it touching my palms when I walk. And it's warm on my body in the wintertime (as you said), and in the summer when it's hot out, I can throw it up with a hairstick in 10 seconds. Also, I love to be different, and around here - there aren't many people at all with hair longer than BSL. It just makes me feel like a princess!! :cloud9:

NeilTheFuzz
January 29th, 2009, 05:40 PM
I liked the rock star look on the back of all my wicked records. I was fed up with having my hair buzzed every two weeks. I also thought it woud be interesting to see what I would look like with long hair. Which you cant do with out long hair!

viking_quest
January 29th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Well, technically mine isn't long yet, but I'm growing it out because it's always been short and now I want a change (and to learn some patience).

rapunzhell13
January 29th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Self-trimming, much easier with long hair. Saves money too.

I'm fascinated by the extremes, super-short hair or super-long hair. I've had super-short hair, now I'm ready for super-long.

Brianna
January 29th, 2009, 08:37 PM
1. I look silly with short hair.

2. I love the look of long hair.

3. Long hair looks good on me.

And that's pretty much it. :p The only real downside is that I spend a lot more time and money on my hair now that I actually care about it. I don't mind much, though. :)

RavennaNight
January 29th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Why? Because I like it :D

But no, really, aside from just liking it, I never had long hair before so now it's growing. And I dont know about it costing less than short hair. Chemical dye was cheaper, and I always was a DIY gal about the color. But I love my henna. I guess what I spent on hair cuts I now spend on henna and oils and sticks and now shampoo bars and possibly MegaTek... Oh wait, thats all money too! But then again I usel less shampoo because I wash it less. Eh. Why analyze. I just like it.

SimplyLonghair
January 29th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Why? Because I like it :D

But no, really, aside from just liking it, I never had long hair before so now it's growing. And I dont know about it costing less than short hair. Chemical dye was cheaper, and I always was a DIY gal about the color. But I love my henna. I guess what I spent on hair cuts I now spend on henna and oils and sticks and now shampoo bars and possibly MegaTek... Oh wait, thats all money too! But then again I usel less shampoo because I wash it less. Eh. Why analyze. I just like it.

Chemical dye for me was actually much more, and I used it for years. I use less that 25grms per root treatment and maybe 60 if I do a full head using BAQ. But I make a gravy of flour and water first and then add henna so much less needed.:cool:

I have long hair because for me it was too much trouble short. I have hair that just sticks straight out unless it has either length or gel and heat applied. So for me I'll stick to long:D

Ash
January 30th, 2009, 01:33 AM
I want to see how long it will get
I shaved my head a few years ago, so now I have to go to the other extreme
I feel more powerful with long hair
It just isn't the "thing" people do these days, so of course I have to do it
I much prefer hairstyles of earlier times to the modern ones.

Dislikes:
My braid keeps getting in my way at work
Oils get expensive
I get more stressed out over damage
More time consuming in a lot of ways

Johanna
January 30th, 2009, 03:13 AM
It makes me feel so girly and pretty. I love it. I can use it in so many ways!
-I can use it to protect my very pale sholders in the sun.
-I can use it as a scarf wen I'm cold.
-I can pile it up under my head when I'm laying down on the floor.
-I can tickle people with my hair from long distances.
-I can strangle myself in my sleep.

-I can't.......uhm....spike it up into a mohawk?

KnightsLady
January 30th, 2009, 03:29 AM
Because when left to its own devices, it just keeps on growing :D

This was my first thought too. :p I don't really enjoy haircuts, they've always been a bit traumatic for me in one way or another.

Second thought would be, because I like the way it feels.

Kimberly
January 30th, 2009, 04:19 AM
I have long hair because I had cut it really short, and had a great time bleaching it and dyeing it different wild colors, but then one night I dreamed it was still long and woke up and realized it was just a dream and it was always long in my dreams, and then I cried because I missed it. And any time since then I have been tempted to cut it off, I remember how I felt that morning.

Charli800
January 30th, 2009, 04:38 AM
Because it's pretty and I feel like I've achieved something by growing it out and it makes me feel like I might live in the world of one of my favourite fantasy-type novels. Classical beauties always seem to have long hair, which increases the appeal.
Can you imagine Athena with a mohawk? :lol:

Linda K
January 30th, 2009, 05:36 AM
Also, I have an interest in folk/traditional/older styles of women's dress, and letting my hair grow fits neatly into that tack-- why not go with it?

YES! I love the Turn of the Century styles - clothing & hair - all so feminine, the riding skirts from The Big Valley - Barbara Stanwick & Linda Evans wore!

Then, I've always admired others long hair. Perms & coloring damage have always short-circuited my attempts a little below shoulder. To be able to put it up - hope to figure some of the Gibson Girl styles. Near frostbite ears - I need to keep it longer anyway so I don't freeze to death any more than I already do!

Short is a royal pain for me. I wake up with it sticking out all over and spend just as much time wetting and smoothing as I would to just start from scratch. I like being able to just comb and go if I need to get out the door. Then I'm also tempted to tease and use hot gadgets on it.

Disadvantage: I forsee annoyance with getting caught in stuff - shoulder bag; car door ...:D Let me be caught! :D

andy
January 30th, 2009, 06:38 AM
I am from Croatia and I don t know english very good, so I m sorry if I writting bad.. :)
I love my long hair because I feel special when everybody looking and asking me about her..
I will always have a long hair.. :)

rymorg2
January 30th, 2009, 06:44 AM
Because I need something to put all my forks in! :rollin:

Pixna
January 30th, 2009, 07:21 AM
Having been a former longhair, and now, after a hair disaster, I am growing back, I can consider this question from both a past and future perspective. I'd say that long hair makes me feel more feminine, beautiful, strong, unique, secure, confident, and whole. Short hair makes me feel as though a part of my body has been severed/amputated. (Thank goodness it's a part that can grow back!) The longer my hair is getting, the stronger and more complete I am feeling.

I'm an "older" woman (mid-fifties), and I love being different from my peers. I don't think long hair makes us look older. I do think a lot of short salon styles intended for older women look horribly and painfully unnatural.

I love being able to be creative with my hair, or not, depending on my mood. I find long hair MUCH easier to take care of than short hair, and I enjoy tending to it -- it makes me feel graceful and feminine. When my hair was long, I never had any "bad hair days" and I could wear it up on down depending on how I felt and the weather.

The downside of long hair is that shed hairs are longer and can be found almost anywhere (and everywhere!). Long hair is a bit of a pain when wearing winter jackets (or other types of clothing) with zippers. On a windy day, long hair can get tangled and caught in car doors or windows. It's hard to wear a bicycle helmet with an updo. :D

Duchess of Erat
January 30th, 2009, 07:33 AM
It started out as just being too lazy to go get a haircut and now I'm curious to see how long my hair will get. I wouldn't want really short hair, because I think it would look bad on me (I don't actually know, my hair has never been shorter than a chinlength bob since I was 4 or 5). Right now I'm curious to find out how long my hair can become, so I haven't cut in a few years (I should probably get my ends evened up and there are some splits, but I just can't get myself to make that appointment to get a hair cut, so I don't).

Long hair makes me feel pretty, it's different, it feels good when it tickles the lower part of my back, I think it just suits me.

Forever_Sophie
January 30th, 2009, 07:37 AM
1) I work in theatre sometimes & it helps to have it long - makes me look younger & is more versatile
2) I had shortER hair through most of my childhood
3) It wasn't a huge factor but the cost is definitely a plus now
4) It's easier. Less styling required! I can just hide it in a clip if it isn't perfect, whereas when it was short, it HAD to be blow dried/straightened...and I'm lazy that way :p

Lucky
January 30th, 2009, 08:56 AM
It just feels more like "me" to have long hair (even though mine isn't that long right now). Ever since I was a little girl, I've loved long hair and wanted to have it. Thanks to TLHC, I'm on my way to (finally!) achieving that.

Myrrh
January 30th, 2009, 09:19 AM
1) I look ridiculous with short hair, as I have a round[er] face.

2) I love feeling my hair on my bare back

3) I love having lots of options of hair styles :)

dearladydisdain
January 30th, 2009, 10:25 AM
I have had long hair for years because I like the way it looks and feels. I also think it is timeless.

I didn't like sitting on my hair when it was classic/thigh length, and I didn't like how I couldn't wear it down when it was that long. (Fine, tangly hair, I curse you!)

Katla
January 30th, 2009, 10:35 AM
I was just reminded of another downside - the longer my hair gets, the more paranoid I get about lice. I had it once as a kid and my scalp still itches at the thought of it shudder:

Spike
January 30th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Love this thread!

When I was a little duckling and very impressionable, my grandmother had wavy silver hair to her knees. Beautiful.

So that living example got tangled with all the fantasy stuff--the fairy princesses with hair that trailed to the floor and what not, so I wanted to grow up to be JUST LIKE THAT.

Still working on it. Meanwhile, I love the braids and buns, and have started enjoying "****** Day*" where I oil and wash my hair and deal with my skin.

* Spas are where you go to be plucked and waxed and shaved and OWCHIE!!! No fun at all. No spa day for me, thanks. ****** Day is where you lovingly tend something inanimate that has great importance to you--pretty hair, smooth soft skin . . . ahhhh.

punky
January 30th, 2009, 03:30 PM
I plan on growing my hair to my waist. I think I look better in longer hair and it's also gray! Did I mention I'm 60 years old.;)

Radulfr
January 30th, 2009, 03:37 PM
I plan on growing my hair to my waist. I think I look better in longer hair and it's also gray! Did I mention I'm 60 years old.;)
Way to go, Punky! :thumbsup:

Pixna
January 30th, 2009, 04:12 PM

Hey there, Punky! We're in the same boat. Our hair is about the same length and I'm growing as long it will go. I'm 5 years younger than you are, so we're close in age, too. My hair has lots and lots of silvers, but I'm not fully gray (yet). Let's support each other, okay? :gabigrin:

punky
January 30th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Thanks you! Radulfr

punky
January 30th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Hey there, Punky! We're in the same boat. Our hair is about the same length and I'm growing as long it will go. I'm 5 years younger than you are, so we're close in age, too. My hair has lots and lots of silvers, but I'm not fully gray (yet). Let's support each other, okay? :gabigrin:

Hello, Pixna yes, let us support each other. My hair is what I would call charcoal gray. I started going gray in my late twenties. My hair has been every color on the chart so I deceided in May 08 to cut all the dye off and start fresh. And to let it grow!!! :cheese:

MountainGypsy
January 30th, 2009, 08:38 PM
I have long hair because I can and until I can't, I 'll have long hair.

MemSahib
January 30th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Spiritual reasons. See the quote beside my siggy.

Animeokapi
January 30th, 2009, 08:57 PM
The trend was to cut it short. EVERYONE was cutting it short. When I was in about 6th grade every girl in my class ended up having short hair I decided "Since everyone is trying to see how short they can get theirs, I'll see how long I can get mine."

I didn't really pursue it though, I just never cut above my shoulder blades and my mother was the one that trimmed it. When I went to college I kept forgetting to ask her to trim when I went home to visit, so eventually I went from BSL length to nearly knee length just because I was lazy. :D My hair is straight, refuses to hold a perm for more than three days (without washing. Day 3 = straight as a ruler again... not as a stick because sticks are bendy) and won't hold a curl for more than 2 hours or so. So if I cut it short it would look ... straight and short. Add an all black wardrobe and a beret and I'd probably look like a beat nick.

mrs carol
January 30th, 2009, 09:00 PM
I have long hair because I can and my husband likes my hair long.

squiggyflop
January 30th, 2009, 09:32 PM
um well i grew my hair because well im not sure why i started.. ive never had hair as long as mine is now.. i was looking for a way to save my chemically damaged hair which had become so dry and damaged that it was highly flammable and very mushy.. then i saw all the pretty heads of hair out there.. i think cinnamon hair's site is what got me interested in hair that was past waist length.. oh and accolady's site too.. then i think i managed to find my way here to this forum.. it was linked on one of the pages i was visiting.. my first goal was tailbone but i switched to terminal then i switched again to classic..

pro: its pretty, i can braid it in a single braid, it makes me feel feminine.. i get slightly more complements..

con: its expensive.. its time consuming..its harder to deal with..takes forever to dry... i need to wear it up unless im wearing satin.. when my hair is shoulder length i didnt need any conditioners or products and i could literally wash my hair with a tiny bit of shampoo (no condish) and brush it backwards and by the time i got to where i needed to go it would have dried in a perfect wave pattern.. i never had to set my hair or style it.. somehow i got the perfect genes for pretty wash and go hair..

im not someone who thinks long hair is less expensive just because i dont have to pay for salon visits.. i usually cut my own hair when it was short.. i didnt see then why i should pay for someone to cut it back then and i still dont see why i should pay for someone to cut it..

long hair costs waaay more money for me.. henna,conditioners,leave-ins,detanglers,special hair scissors,hair accesseries, etc.. all things i wouldnt need with shoulder length hair..

but the elegance of the long hair makes it worth it..

ancilla
January 30th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Because I look my best with long hair. Also because it saves me money, as I do my own trimming and styling. And just because I love the protective-like feeling that long hair gives me.

DragonLady
January 30th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Because I want a long, white braid clear to my anklebone. 'nuff said. :)

Feline
January 31st, 2009, 05:08 PM
I wear my hair long because:

1. I like it that way

2. My husband loves it that way and

3. Nobody else gets a vote in the matter!:p

Problems: the usual- drying time, getting caught in things, the occaisional caught-in-a-windstorm marathon detangling:blueeek:

goatgal
January 31st, 2009, 07:17 PM
At about 57 I finally got tired of bad haircuts and awful perms. At 61 I'm so happy with it I may never cut it again. Besides, it's my hair and I'll do what I want....so there, world.

Beatnik Guy
January 31st, 2009, 07:36 PM
so eventually I went from BSL length to nearly knee length just because I was lazy. :D My hair is straight, refuses to hold a perm for more than three days (without washing. Day 3 = straight as a ruler again... not as a stick because sticks are bendy) and won't hold a curl for more than 2 hours or so. So if I cut it short it would look ... straight and short. Add an all black wardrobe and a beret and I'd probably look like a beat nick.

Ahem. :cool:
Not all beatnicks have short hair y'know. :rolleyes:

(Stick straight, knee length hair sounds pretty cool though :cheese:).

may1em
January 31st, 2009, 08:31 PM
I started growing because financial and geographical constraints prevented me from going to my sylist and keeping the ear-length cut. I kept growing because I found the LJ community and LHC and learned how to take care of it so long hair didn't have to be a pain in the a$$. I had long hair from childhood to middle school and loved it. I knew very few adult women with really nice long hair then, just my mom's friend and a babysitter. The babysitter once told me she'd vowed never to cut it, and I did, too. Then I caved to middle school peer pressure and kept going shorter. Bad idea.

Now I love it. I'm not going back to short hair unless I stop loving it. Short hair on me requires a blowdryer to look good. Long hair doesn't. I no longer need to resort to bandannas when my hair looks like crap - a hairstick bun comes to the rescue!

xeternalsilence
January 31st, 2009, 08:54 PM
I didn't feel like myself at all with short hair.

Long hair is gorgeous.
It makes me feel more feminine and protected. I miss being able to hide myself in my hair :(

The only negative with growing/caring for long hair is that I've become obsessed with it! This doesn't really bother me all that much, but my family and DBF get quite annoyed with my constant LHC lurking and don't really understand why I'm always mixing up some odd concoction to put on my hair :p

punky
January 31st, 2009, 09:09 PM
At about 57 I finally got tired of bad haircuts and awful perms. At 61 I'm so happy with it I may never cut it again. Besides, it's my hair and I'll do what I want....so there, world.
Way to go goatgal. I'm with ya! :)

annie09
January 31st, 2009, 10:16 PM
I started growing my hair long because i find it easier to manage and it is a lot cheaper to get a smart pretty look when it is long.

Pixna
February 1st, 2009, 06:56 AM

Goatgal: :hifive: There's a bunch of us here in our 50s and 60s--I guess we're not too out of the ordinary (at least not on LHC!). What was your hair like when you stopped cutting it at 57? How long has it grown since then? Fill us in on your progress!! (And photos would be appreciated, if you have them!)

Long hair is gorgeous. It makes me feel more feminine and protected. I miss being able to hide myself in my hair :(

xeternalsilence: I can SO relate to everything you said above!!

Lissa
February 1st, 2009, 07:13 AM
In the beginning my hair just got long by itself because I could never decide what to do with it (and because of that never went to have a haircut)...

But now I am keeping it long because I think it looks nice, I like the feeling of it and it's special and feminine. Also, I can vary my hairstyles a lot more when it's long.
The disadvantage is it being in the way sometimes, and the length is sometimes making it a little flat and not as "bouncy" as I would like it to be. Oh, and it takes a long time to wash it.

Noctifer
February 1st, 2009, 07:18 AM
First time i saved out was the fact that i had been wanting to have long hair for a long time but my parents would not let me, and finaly at age 14 i was aloud to start having my hair as i wanted.

thow at age 19 i cut it chin lenght to get ride of coloured hair. and now im three years later stuck trying to save out the lenght and once age save out to my nature colour, I dont seem to be able to stay away from hair colour more then a year

joyfulmom4
February 1st, 2009, 07:26 AM
All my life I have loved long hair and admired it. I just think it's so pretty. When I was younger, I never had the patience to grow it out and I was always getting it cut in whatever style was popular. Eventually I grew it out when I got older I did grow it out. And when I did, I loved it.

I like the way it looks and feels. I love being able to put it up in many different styles. I enjoy the freedom I have from needing to go for haircuts and spending hours styling with blow dryers, hot irons and hair products. If I am in a hurry, I can wash and go or whip it up in a quick bun in seconds. It is SO much easier to take care of my hair long than short. People expect the opposite, but it's not so. Long hair is a breeze. And I get many more compliments on it long than I ever did when it was short.

Also, I like that it's unique. My hair is thick and wavy and by most standards (maybe not LHC, but the general public) it's very long. I like having hair that feels special b/c it's not what everybody else has. No matter how I may feel about being 40, short and overweight, I still feel pretty b/c my hair makes me feel pretty.

FreakyGreenEyes
February 1st, 2009, 07:36 AM
I have long hair because it makes me feel beautiful...whole somehow. Also, my DH loves it and makes a point to compliment even my most messed up updo's!

Rimi
February 1st, 2009, 07:40 AM
OK, I went looking and found the woman who inspired me to just go for it. http://www.wuvie.net/stressless_tresses.htm
I was re-reading the page and couldn't find where she said a woman should just let is grow just to see how long, but still, she has great advice and her hair was just inspirational.

neon-dream
February 1st, 2009, 09:59 AM
Because I like it long.

sneakybea
February 1st, 2009, 11:26 AM
I'm kind of unexceptional looking---slightly shortish, average to slightly pudgy build, brown hair---but my hair is pretty unusual and gets me attention. At the same time, if I don't want that attention, I can put it up and out of the way, and no one gives it a second glance.
I study history, and read a lot of fantasy novels, and love the hairstyles women wore back then/in those books.
I like to braid and style my hair---it's creative!
As I get older, I look forward to having long white hair, like a sorceress in a fantasy novel. Plus I get to buck the mainstream, which seems to want older women to wear their hair in the same short style (although I think that may be changing).
The bad things---I do wonder if my hair would be curlier short, and I hate all the shedding! I am also dealing with many winter related hair issues right now---static and hat hair! But everyone who doesn't have a shaved head probably struggles with those!

Pixna
February 1st, 2009, 11:43 AM
I do wonder if my hair would be curlier short...

Your hair is very similar in texture to mine, Sneakybea, except I believe mine (when long) is even wavier than yours. (I don't know if you remember me from the "old days" on LHC and before, but I remember you.) I cut my hair short in 2007 (pixie length) thinking it would be curlier. NOT TRUE! All I did was cut off all the curl!!! So, take it from one who has been there (and currently is on her way back to long), shorter won't make it curlier. Your hair is lovely just the way it is! :D

Lixie
February 1st, 2009, 12:35 PM
My hair ended up long out of benign neglect. Then I found LHC and decided that I could do with a little extra length. :D

I like being able to put my hair up with a single stick, I love the feeling of it against my skin when I take it down and I love how ridiculously cheap it is to maintain!

I'm not so fond of the time it takes to dry and the monster splits I sometimes find.

ZadenWillowfyre
February 1st, 2009, 12:51 PM
I'm growing it out because I love the color and it makes me feel closer to my Scottish/Irish roots!! I've always wanted super long hair but for one reason or another cut it before it got to OMG long so I'm determined to let it grow. Also, it makes me feel pretty...I've been told my hair is one of my more outstanding features and I want to highlight (not literally though ^.^) that.

NebraskaChick84
February 1st, 2009, 12:55 PM
1.) i feel more feminine w/long hair
2.) dh likes it long
3.) more hairstyles

Amara
February 1st, 2009, 01:00 PM
Similar to what a lot of other people have said.

It's unique, and an interesting challenge. I like being able to do a wide variety of things with it. It makes me feel good.

LittleOrca
February 6th, 2009, 12:41 AM
:shrug: I was asked this by a friend of mine: "What makes you girls want to grow your hair to such lengths/extra long?" [Extra Long in this case meaning waist and beyond]

I could only answer him with the reasons I wanted extra long hair, but it did get me thinking about the topic. I was curious to see what the answers for various people would be.

So, What makes you want to grow your hair extra long?

OhioLisa
February 6th, 2009, 12:48 AM
These threads pop up a lot. HERE (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=19480)is a recent one.

LittleOrca
February 6th, 2009, 12:52 AM
Thanks! I didn't see that one earlier. Sorry for causing clutter :)

going gray
February 6th, 2009, 02:10 AM
After a lot of trial & error, realized I look better with long hair.

Beatnik Guy
February 6th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Because (just). :wink:

Ms Monnie
February 6th, 2009, 03:09 PM
The thing that I always wonder is what makes people cut it? The whole ritual of going to a salon and being clipped and crimped and styled seems so alien to me.

Amara
February 6th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Wanting to be different, for me. I don't know hardly anyone with long hair, and I like to be unusual. :)

LawyerGirl
February 6th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Wedding hair... long hair looks better with a veil. Also, haven't had long hair in a while. It's a cycle for me.

AutumnSky
February 6th, 2009, 03:22 PM
1) Because long hair is a huge part of my self-identity.
In a therapy session, as a child, I was asked to draw a picture of what I wished I looked like. Slender, glamourous, and with ridiculously long blond hair. I've never forgotten that. The times in my life that I've felt the most beautiful have been times that I had long hair. Every time I've cut it, I've just not felt like myself until it was a "reasonable" length again. It's just "me"

2) I love the way it feels when it moves..I love the sensuality of caring for it, and caring for myself in the process. And yeah, boys like it. At least the kind of boys that I like, like it. ;-p

3) Ultimately, nothing. Having had both long and short, I think that neither is less expensive or "easier" than the other. They both have their special needs. Long wins.

MimiKeki
February 6th, 2009, 03:39 PM
I'll be honest here.. My reasons are:
1. I feel sexier and more feminine with long hair.
2. I associate long hair with the happiness I felt as a child. There was a long stretch of time when I got a bit older where I wasn't so happy, and I just so happened to have short hair.
3. Men are more attracted to me when I wear my hair down.
4. It's easier to maintain, I don't need to worry about styling so much.
5. I love the anticipation of reaching longer lengths!

Elenna
February 6th, 2009, 04:00 PM
I had long hair in the past. But for the last fifteen years, I had it cut and dyed to cover the gray. It was never super short. It was mostly to blend in with everyone else.

However, since ditching the dye and hair cuts; oh my goodness, I feel so feminine and so much better.

Now, I'm really enjoying watching the silvers grow in and hope to have long, silver hair.

Beatnik Guy
February 6th, 2009, 04:16 PM
The thing that I always wonder is what makes people cut it? The whole ritual of going to a salon and being clipped and crimped and styled seems so alien to me.
Uh huh. It's just too bizarre.

kam984420
February 6th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Cause i've had short hair for almost 30 years and i want to try something different.:cheese:

jera
February 6th, 2009, 04:37 PM
This may sound ridiculous, but it appeals to the romantic side of my personality. :o
I often feel I was born into the wrong century. I belong with the pre raphaelites or something.

JamieLeigh
February 6th, 2009, 04:40 PM
I grow mine long because I love the way it looks and feels...and I guess it's kind of the princess-factor. You don't see many fairy-tale characters with above waist-length hair. (Ella, from "Happy N'Ever After" being the exception that comes first to mind.) LOL, and I do like to stand out in a crowd!:cheese:

Islandgrrl
February 6th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Seriously. It's cheap and it's easy.

CanadianGirl
February 6th, 2009, 05:03 PM
I just hate fiddiling with short hair. :) I'd much rather wash it, put it up and go. I also hate having my hair in my face.

Sharon
February 6th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Iv'e always wanted to know what it's like to have longer than bsl hair.

shockra
February 6th, 2009, 06:35 PM
I always thought long hair was beautiful and now i want my own.

Fairlight63
February 6th, 2009, 07:23 PM
I want long hair because I am 63 and I don't want to look like all the other older ladies with short hair that look like a man or a short poodle perm.
I am letting my hair go natural - which is looking greyer & greyer , LOL because I have dyed my hair so long that I don't even remember what color it is naturally anymore.
It is easier to take care of than shorter hair, I just wash it & let it air dry & put it up in a bun.
There are so many pretty hair toys to try out :D
It is warm on my neck in the winter time, like having a warm scarf on my neck.
I hate my hair in my face. When short it was always in my face unless I had on a head band.

BranwenWolf
February 6th, 2009, 07:28 PM
I had long hair until age 17 (thigh length) then cut it to shoulder length. It was fun to try different things but I was constantly at war with my hair because it behaves better when long.

Now I grew out my bangs and just made my hemline a V last week. I love it. I feel like it's part of who I am. I may not be tall or look particularly interesting, but I do love my golden hair. I'm at tailbone right now and may go to *gulp* terminal.

SimplyLonghair
February 6th, 2009, 07:34 PM
I like that it makes me feel more me. :shrug: I just don't feel like myself with short hair. :silly: And because I can.......

spidermom
February 6th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Me with short hair:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/BOONEW.jpg

Me with long hair:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/tbb1.jpg

Any more questions?

AutumnSky
February 6th, 2009, 07:46 PM
^^^
What she said.

Spidermom, I <3 you.

SimplyLonghair
February 6th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Me with short hair:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/BOONEW.jpg

Me with long hair:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/tbb1.jpg

Any more questions?
:scared:
Spidermom! I love it! :rollin:

aprilmay
February 6th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Long hair is part of my identity. I have only cut it shorter than shoulder length twice and both times proceeded to grow it back out. I may decide in the future that I want it a little shorter than it is now, but for now, I like my long hair.

spidermom
February 6th, 2009, 07:53 PM
^^^
What she said.

Spidermom, I <3 you.

I <3 you too, especially with that gorgeous feathery thing in your hair.

SimplyLonghair
February 6th, 2009, 08:00 PM
I love the fact that it makes me closer to my heritage. Most of my background comes from people that had long hair. American Native, Scandinavian, Irish and Scottish. Heck I like that I can actually do something with it. LOL:D

annie09
February 6th, 2009, 08:21 PM
i want long hair because it looks good.

jera
February 7th, 2009, 01:27 AM
Spidermom that's a hilarious reply. :D

Aditi
February 7th, 2009, 03:15 AM
Everyone has short hair now-a-days, but the girls having long hair are still a show-stopper.

Rimi
February 7th, 2009, 06:45 AM
Because it's my cat's favorite toy.

Beatnik Guy
February 7th, 2009, 07:07 AM
Everyone has short hair now-a-days, but the girls having long hair are still a show-stopper.
Guys too. :wink:

EdG
February 7th, 2009, 08:21 AM
So, What makes you want to grow your hair extra long?Simply that hair does grow extra long. I figure "why fight one's nature?" :shrug:

Spidermom, you are the coolest. :cool:
Ed

FallenAngel
February 7th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Spidermom - You call that SHORT? :bigeyes: I'm going to cry now... :wail:

Just kidding! Of course I'm not. I love your reply! :D

I want long hair because it looks soft and feminine, and I like to feel feminine.

Amoretti
February 7th, 2009, 08:43 AM
It just doesn't seem to want to stop growing so I'm letting it. ;) :D

Noortje
February 7th, 2009, 09:17 AM
With long hair I feel feminine, even wearing the grungiest outfit, no make-up, and my wellies! :D And I'm lazy at heart, wash and go is brilliant (bun in between though...)

ps: You rock Spidermom!

ShaSha
February 7th, 2009, 09:27 AM
I always had long(ish) hair. Except for a few years after a bad experiment with hair dye (left my hair a dull turquose :D ). I had to cut my hair about inch long.

The short hair was fun for a while, but the expense and trouble of having it styled every 8 weeks or so was too much for me. Long hair is much more easy and not so expensive.

And, for me, if it's going to be long, I prefer as long as possible.

zanne
February 7th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Because it's prettyprettypretty!!
Other than that, i'm unsure.. I've always wanted super long hair.. it must be ingrained somewhere in my DNA:p

Noctifer
February 7th, 2009, 10:40 AM
I like long hair better and depending on how "short" its cut i sometimes look much younger then I'm and nearly everybody tells me I already looks younger then i'm.

LittleOrca
February 7th, 2009, 12:20 PM
This may sound ridiculous, but it appeals to the romantic side of my personality. :o
I often feel I was born into the wrong century. I belong with the pre raphaelites or something.

I know exactly what you mean! :) Except in this century I can have my mermaid tail and ideas not be burned at the stake lol

Sunshine69
February 7th, 2009, 12:35 PM
I love to knit and crochet, and I love the feeling of yarn in my fingers. Maybe hair reminds me of yarn in a way. Hair can have such interesting and beautiful textures. I love the way hair looks different in various lighting conditions. I love the way each shaft of hair catches the light. I think long hair on both men and women looks amazing.

My dog has beautiful hair, too. She's a golden retriever, and her feathers have grown so long. I have to brush her every day so they don't get matted, but it's worth it. She's gorgeous. As you can see by my avatar, I love all animals with long hair :) Especiallly highland cows.

Lamb
February 7th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Well, the sight that greets me in the mirror every morning is a strong instigator to grow my hair longer. :cool: Just once, I would like to wake up with hair that can be simply unbraided, put up, and forgotten about.

Janet Marvin
February 7th, 2009, 01:53 PM
i am growing my hair long because it takes me back to my high school days. I also find it a lot more sexy with long straight hair rather than some style that requires constant maintenance. But overall, the compliments i get are assurance that a small part of our society will actually take the time to acknowledge the beauty of long hair. Although it is a bit more work, as a woman, I find it worth it just to be a little different.

Wanderlust
February 7th, 2009, 02:24 PM
I want to have long hair because I look much better with long hair than short. Anything longer than APL looks good on me...but I'm intensely curious how my hair will look and feel being hip length, naturally colored and well cared for.

Also, the happier I am the more I tend to leave my hair alone. I went through a couple year period recently where I was very unhappy, and I took it out on my hair with the crazy idea that maybe if I change my hair drastically, my life will change too. It ended up just being short, ugly, and felt like that cheap plastic yarn you get for $2 for a roll the size of your house. Now that I'm basically content with things, it's much easier for me to just leave it alone. I think that by growing my hair long, it's symbolic of leaving that time in my life behind.

Katrina
February 10th, 2009, 04:03 AM
Because I like it, I look better with long hair and long hair is very versatile.

I was asked at work today, if I'm going to donate my hair some day. It seems to be uncomprehensible (to some people) that someone has longer than waist length hair just because she likes it long.

ElanorStarchild
February 10th, 2009, 04:54 AM
I'm growing my hair, because i look like exploded with short hair. I also can't handle short hair, blow dryer, brush and me ended up in chaos most of the times. Long hair is so easy to handle for me, rarely wash it, no blow dryer, just put it up in the morning.
Everybody can get short hair, but long hair isn't so easy to get, it's a long long journey *sigh* but its worth it.
Long hair, which is healthy is an eyecatcher.
I feel more myself.
I can do so many styles with so many beautiful hairtoys *giggle*
People think I'm a freak, when i tell them, how long I want my hair. And they're right because i'm really a freak ;)

Cerenia
February 10th, 2009, 05:19 AM
For the last 10 years I had more or less long hair (over BSL), because I just like long hair. I think it's much nicer than short hair, which everybody has. Short hair is too normal for me ^^

And now I want to get it really long. Until about my knees.
I think that would be really long hair, that only very few people have and that would be something special.

Naava
February 11th, 2009, 12:10 PM
I would be curious to hear the reasons why people want to grow their hair long. Is it just for the way it looks or something "deeper"?

For me, it's basicly just about the look and the way long hair makes me feel prettier and more feminine than shorter hair styles.

Naava
February 11th, 2009, 01:02 PM
I feel a little silly now, I found a threat with the same idea... I tried using the search before I started this but found nothing...

If a moderator would like to delete this, it would be nice.

It sucks to be new and make a fool out of myself...

CrystalStar
February 11th, 2009, 01:07 PM
I feel a little silly now, I found a threat with the same idea... I tried using the search before I started this but found nothing...

If a moderator would like to delete this, it would be nice.

It sucks to be new and make a fool out of myself...

Don't feel so bad :) I'm new here too but the people are nice, no-one would mind yeah :p

SHELIAANN1969
February 11th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Hi Naava, don't sweat it, it hasn't even been an hour yet! :flower:

Sometimes threads get scanned over and I thought at first it was the same one I had read before.

I will answer your question, no reason to feel foolish, it's no biggie.

I have long hair because I was tired of having short hair all my life. I am 39 and just learned how to bun my hair about 18 months ago! How sad is that? :D

Anyway, welcome and don't feel shy, once you read a bunch of posts you'll know what has been asked before! :flower:

LittleOrca
February 11th, 2009, 01:11 PM
There are many reasons people want long hair! Here is a link to the other thread concerning this. :)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=19480

As for me, I feel more like a mermaid and more beautiful with extra long hair. :)

3azza
February 11th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Well I see it this way, if ur hair look good when short, it looks better when long (if you're able to maintain it as healthy)

3azza
February 11th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Also, i love long long braids, amazing

Sissy
February 11th, 2009, 04:59 PM
I have long hair because I always have, even as a child. It's part of my identity. It's how I feel comfortable and I do think long hair is very beautiful.

Coriander
February 11th, 2009, 05:35 PM
I have long hair because I always have, even as a child. It's part of my identity. It's how I feel comfortable and I do think long hair is very beautiful.

Same here... long hair has become a part of me, and I tell you - when I had a big haircut several years ago it's like I lost something.

I also think that long hair is not as common as it once was, and I enjoy seeing people who haven't conformed to society's "norm" of lacquered hairstyles.

Sarahmoon
February 11th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Very simple: Because I like it. (and bf likes it which is an extra plus)

Gingevere
February 11th, 2009, 07:47 PM
I've always wished for long hair, but my interest in the Victorian era is what actually made me go for it. I just think that a flowing mane of hair is so elegant and dreamlike. Plus, I love my red hair and I want more of it, lol!

Some downsides? Many of my classmates aren't very understanding when it comes to my greasy roots. When I told some people in class that I washed my hair every 2-3 days, they went nuts. And the oiling... DR (dear roommate!) thinks it's disgusting. :rolleyes:

Alu
February 11th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Well, the main reason I am growing long hair is simply for the fact that it's beautiful. Then, as a child I always wanted long hair and tried to grow it out. I wanted to have Princess Leia hair. :eyebrows: That never got accomplished though, and I was pretty sad. So now I can sort of "finish" it.

Heavenly Locks
February 11th, 2009, 08:49 PM
I have/want long hair for many reasons :)

- I grew up with no girls around and my mom always had very short boyish hair. I never got to feel fabulous and feminine. I want that!

- My current family are a bunch of short hairs (my MIL, my mom, my husbands step mom, almost all the women...) and I want to be different.

- My husband tells me stories of being a small boy and the highlights of his youth was being allowed to stand behind his mom at night time an run the brush through the ends that he could reach. Her hair USED to be classic (or longer) and he just loved that. (now she is above shoulder *cries*)

- I think long (LONG) hair is amazingly feminine and it shows that you care very much for it. Short hair can be 'easy' it takes commitment to have a long head of hair. :) Not everyone can do that. It makes long hairs special.

- I like the idea of honing that which has been given to me naturally. I want to see what I can do!

THose are all the reasons I can think of off the top of my head.

davidvs
February 11th, 2009, 10:22 PM
My wife wants it long.

Rhea
February 12th, 2009, 03:11 AM
Very simple: Because I like it . :)

Lilla My
February 12th, 2009, 10:42 AM
It's easier and I think grey hair looks at its best when it has some length to it.

AngelInDisguise
February 12th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Actually I am a bit lazy - and short hair for me requires washing and styling every morning. I simply rather sleep then blowfry.

I think I look softer and more feminine with longer hair now that I am getting older.

Now that I have found a new addiction one more reason: HAIRTOYS. What sense makes buying them when one can't wear them?

scalawaggirl
February 12th, 2009, 12:37 PM
First, because I'm a long-haired girl and have finally accepted that's the deal. Meaning, I've had long hair most of my life in one variation or other and the times that I cut, I almost never kept it and started growing it out right away.

Seems such a waste, really, to chop it. You know?

Other reasons are that it's fairly unique because I hardly see people with long hair. It's pretty and I just love the way that it looks on other people so figure it's the same when others look at mine. :) I also don't have to waste $$$ on styles anymore since I self-trim and henna my hair. Elves, fairies and mermaids have long hair. It looks cool when I go to Renn Fests. I will have appropriate hair to wear an elven headdress once I actually make one. :p

The fact that I'm now taking care of it thanks to LHC, well, that's just the icing on the cake.

naomimcc
February 12th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Because I hate getting my hair cut. :lol:
Seriously, the idea of going to a salon every six weeks is a pain in my ass. Which is ironic since I'm debating the big chop right now.

RocketDog
February 12th, 2009, 02:19 PM
I am growing my hair out because I like everything about long hair - the look, the feel, the methodical care, everything! I just FEEL right with long hair. My hair behaves better when it's longer, too - when it's short it goes everywhichway, needs to be dried and flatironed and sprayed and combed constantly to stay looking presentable. If I didn't flatiron it, the natural curls would just puff up into a big awful mess. Now that it's longer, if I leave it down the curls stick together better than they did when it was short, and the 'clinginess' actually HELPS keep updos together :)

I love looking at and touching long hair, one of my favorite pleasures back when I had LONG hair as a teen was feeling it slip and slide down my back in the shower. I can't wait until my hair is long again, long enough for me to reach behind myself and touch it without having to strain my neck.

Of course there are a bajillion other reasons I like long hair - rebelling against 'the norm' and wanting to look like a fairytale princess/earth mama/whatever, but it really all boils down to the fact that it just FEELS right to have long hair.

Denebi
February 12th, 2009, 02:37 PM
- short hair is too much work in the morning, and I'm lazy
- long hair is beautiful
- I have millions of hairtoys, I can anly use with long hair ;)
- I don't like going to the stylist

Trinka
February 14th, 2009, 09:15 AM
There are so many reasons behind my love of long hair.

When I was a girl, my mother always cut it short, and I envied the others at school with pony-tails and braids.

It makes me feel feminine, and romantic.

I've always battled overweight, and I think I look man-ish when my hair is short.

As I get older, I don't want to be one of the cookie-cutter poodle-hair ladies.

I love the ease of getting up in the morning, and heading out the door, without all the fussing with curling irons, spray, daily washing, etc.

I LOVE it when people play with my hair. My grandmother will come up behind me and play with it, all the while telling me she really thinks I should cut it. She has no idea that she's reinforcing my opinions in the opposite direction. :)

Negatives ...

Hmmm ...

I do get weary of the shedding sometimes. When I look at the amount of hair I vacuum up, I can't fathom that there's any left on my head!

cani
February 14th, 2009, 01:14 PM
oooh yeah...a very important reason for me is the first thing you wrote, trinka:( my mom also cut my hair when i was a kid and i hated it...

Taliesin
February 14th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Well, I'm currently re-growing, but here are the reasons why:

Like many others, I simply enjoy the look and feel of it.

It feels more "naturally me". My natural inclination is towards long hair, with little to no desire to have it short beyond societal norms and broader acceptance.

I think I find it links me to more "romantic" things. Characters in fantasy books and novels, sensuality, allure, and a link to the past. Hard to describe.

aprilmay
February 16th, 2009, 10:18 AM
I am enjoying reading these posts. I have always felt that long hair is easier to deal with. I just brush it in the morning then pull it back in an elastic, put it up in a bun, or leave it down. No need for anything else.

ScrimHazard
February 16th, 2009, 09:18 PM
Easy...it's prettier! :)

I always wanted long, beautiful hair growing up and my mom made me keep it short so that I didn't even know what to do with my hair when it reached my collar bones, but I kept growing it out. I feel so much more feminine with long hair.

arabidbutterfly
February 16th, 2009, 10:09 PM
My mom cut my hair short when I was young, and she cuts hers very short now, and I think that it isn't becoming to her at all. Some of the best times of my life I had long hair, and I only started to cut it short when I became very unhappy. I am happy now, and I want to reflect that in my appearence, if not to anyone else but myself. (I'm the only one that matters, anyway!)

Sydney
February 17th, 2009, 04:24 AM
Just because I like it! It's sort of a hobby!

Zindell
February 17th, 2009, 06:48 AM
I have long hair because...

I look better in it (or at least less ugly hehe)
I look younger in it
My fiance love it long =
I prolly look sexier in it
I save money on haircuts
It's is warm and nice in the nordic winter
I am lazy
I want to look different from the majority of 40+ peeps
I feel a bit wild with long hair
I feel more female with long hair
I can (if I want, but hardly do) put it up in lots of different hairstyles
I can play with my hair when I watch TV

rosie91
February 17th, 2009, 07:42 AM
my hair isnt exactly "long" but it is APL so i think it's long enough to do this! maybe...
it keeps my neck warm in winter
i can have it down or up if i don't want it in my way
it makes my shoulders look less broad (they aren't too bad but i notice it :p)
i love to feel my hair because it is soft and when i can touch the ends i don't make the roots greasy!
lots of people i know are getting their hair cut short so if mine is long it's something different
i hope if my hair is longer i can curl it without the curls being ridiculously short and tight
and lastly.....i like how it looks!

Jessaka
February 17th, 2009, 12:29 PM
I love having long hair because it just looks/feels right to me. I've always had long hair. The one time I cut my hair chin length my head looked FATTER. I think that hair is a good hair shaper lol...

fishwich
February 17th, 2009, 12:48 PM
I'm far too lazy to keep getting it cut. Plus I love messing with braids. Long hair is pretty much my only feasible option. :D

MadPirateBippy
February 18th, 2009, 11:34 AM
If I did not have long hair, the cheese weasels would eat me. :(

hennared
February 18th, 2009, 02:15 PM
I have long hair as a tribute to my mother.

She let me have my hair as I wanted it when I was a little girl. It was long and strawberry blonde and straight, then; not super long, but nearing waist. When my mother died - her hair was long, then - I was 9 years old, and quite a bit of a tomboy. My stepmother, who came into the picture immediately, as my parents were divorced, cut my hair off immediately, saying I did not take good enough care of it to 'deserve' it. I was not allowed to grow it out past shoulder grazing, _ever_. Not until I moved out when I was just shy of 18 could I grow my hair.

... And it took me many years, actually, to grow it out to the length it is, now (about 25", I think). Even though my hair has thinned a LOT in the last year, I can't bring myself to cut it.

Pixna
February 18th, 2009, 02:53 PM
I have long hair as a tribute to my mother.

She let me have my hair as I wanted it when I was a little girl. It was long and strawberry blonde and straight, then; not super long, but nearing waist. When my mother died - her hair was long, then - I was 9 years old, and quite a bit of a tomboy. My stepmother, who came into the picture immediately, as my parents were divorced, cut my hair off immediately, saying I did not take good enough care of it to 'deserve' it. I was not allowed to grow it out past shoulder grazing, _ever_. Not until I moved out when I was just shy of 18 could I grow my hair.

... And it took me many years, actually, to grow it out to the length it is, now (about 25", I think). Even though my hair has thinned a LOT in the last year, I can't bring myself to cut it.

Oh my, Hennared, that is such a sad story. Good for you for growing your hair out as a tribute to your mother! That's a beautiful way to honor her . . . and yourself.

DragonLady
February 18th, 2009, 03:20 PM
My stepmother, who came into the picture immediately, as my parents were divorced, cut my hair off immediately, saying I did not take good enough care of it to 'deserve' it.

Deserve it???? Yikes. Whata....(___fill in the blank_____). Kudos to you for growing it now, and keeping it the way you want it. If it grows and stays, you deserve it just as much as any one else.

cowgirllong
February 18th, 2009, 05:20 PM
I have wanted really long hair since I was 12. As a teenager, I would grow it really long and then cut off to a bob and repeat. Not anymore, because some years ago I decided I needed to let it grow or I'd never have hair down past my waist. I read an article in a magazine that referred to someone having 'cowgirl long' hair, so that has been my goal. For me, that is 40" or right at hip length.

blue_nant
February 18th, 2009, 10:05 PM
I'm far too lazy to keep getting it cut. :D

If I did not have long hair, the cheese weasels would eat me. :(

I don't think my long hair is flattering
I don't care
I save $ by not cutting and
I stand out by not cutting ... well I stand out b/c I have generous hips AND very long hair, LOL

yeah, and there's that cheese weasel thing BWAhahahahahaha!

Aer
February 19th, 2009, 12:48 AM
Off & on, I've grown my hair pretty long, when I was almost 17 I had almost tailbone, but I wanted highlights, bleach blond ones. I went to a stylist, she told me I'd look better with chunky ones, so I got those. It turns out I did not look better that way, and she had pretty much burnt my hair with the bleaching process, so I had to cut it. But a year or so ago, I decided to grow it long again, only stopping to trim it once in awhile. The reason I keep my hair long is because: A, Ilike it, B, Long hair looks whimiscal,& etheral if taken care of it, C, for slightly religious reasons, and D, My husband prefers it. There are some bad things, like your toddler swinging from your braid, stylist that you know on a personal note, are always like "You should cut your hair, its instyle to, I''ll give you the Posh Spice cut for free!" and some people think its not conservative enough, but the pro's out weigh the cons, and long hair frames my face really well, so thats also a major pro!

Zindell
February 19th, 2009, 02:43 AM
My stepmother, who came into the picture immediately, as my parents were divorced, cut my hair off immediately, saying I did not take good enough care of it to 'deserve' it.

This picture immediately came to mind...

http://lnx.ginevra2000.it/Disney/cenerentola1/stepmother2.gif

Rosa.Damascena
February 19th, 2009, 02:58 AM
I had had BSL-long hair as a teenager, but I didn't know, how to do really nice updos then and treated it very badly, so that it was very thin and broke of easily. So I cut and lived some years with shoulderlength and very short pixie styles, but I got tired of going to the salon every month and styling short hair, so I led it grow again since 2006, and knowing now how to treat long hair and keep it healthy, it its just a pleasure! I'm happy for every new milestone (waist at last now!) and the new styles I can do. I can look different every day when I want, and it's great to know a range of updos to match different kind of clothes. Playing with my hair is a lot of fun know. :D

Pixna
February 19th, 2009, 06:22 AM
This picture immediately came to mind...

http://lnx.ginevra2000.it/Disney/cenerentola1/stepmother2.gif

That is EXACTLY what I was thinking!!! :D