PDA

View Full Version : Want... haircut.... now..... HELP ME!

FallenAngel
January 29th, 2009, 01:41 AM
Ghaaa! I'm now at the point where I should have gone to the hairdresser and cut my hair if I hadn't decided to make an attemt to grow it.

I hate it right now! It is just... ugly, messy, boring and short! I can't do anything with it, not even hide it!

HOW do you survive this stage? I need advice how to wear my hair. It is a pixie growing out, full of layers and at it's longest just at my neck. What shall I do with it??

aisling
January 29th, 2009, 01:50 AM
Hide all scissors :D
Hide the phone number to your hair dresser and check your band account, you can't really afford her right now, can you? If you can, go and buy something else, then you sure can't afford her! :lol:
Buy small claw clips or steal your daughters', try to put your hair up with those, pull it back in sections from your face, secure with small clips, pull up the back, secure with clips, play around.
How about headbands? Stretchy headbands or simple fabric ones can be quite nice looking and gives an impression you've really done something with your hair and they pull your hair off your face. H&M have a bunch of those.
Do a deep treatment, henna or something, that way you'll at least feel you've done something with your hair and not neglected it completely.
Study, contact friends, write e-mails, drink coffee, do other things and forget about your hair. Distract yourself whenever you start thinking about cutting.

FallenAngel
January 29th, 2009, 01:57 AM
Lots of useful advice there... Maybe I'll do a hennagloss today, and think I've "done" something after all.

Arctic
January 29th, 2009, 02:45 AM
I've grown out pixie several times, all of them were before I found this community mind you, and I always rather grow it out slower from one style to another than just let it grow freely. Once I had it in a bob, I let it grow. This is a great time to use some pretty clips, mini claw clips, hair gels and pomadas and styling "gums"... You CAN do a lot to it!

We have quite a few members who are growing from pixie at the moment or have done it before, maybe find their albums and threads and blogs for inspiration? Don't forget to peruse the archived old forum, they are chock-full of info and inspiration :)

Finoriel
January 29th, 2009, 03:35 AM
Spend as much time outside as possible :wink: when you´re wearing a hat all the time, no one get´s to see your hair. If you do not like how it looks, you can blame the hat and not the length. :D
Head scarfs and bandanas are also quite handy, they never get boring because there are so many different ways to wear them. At this temperatures they are a common accessory, many people wear them even if they do not want to hide something.
If you´re comfortable with head-bands, that´s the right time to buy some.

jojo
January 29th, 2009, 03:54 AM
I grew from a pixie type hair style, my advise just ignore it, I completely ignored mine and refused to have even a trim until my hair was shoulder length. thrn when it got that length I thought it doesn't really need a trim so I just put it up.

The only trims I have done where last year, when I did dustings to get rid of a V hemline.

It has taken me 3 years so far.

My progress pictures are in my album.

Chrissy
January 29th, 2009, 04:59 AM
This may sound silly but here is my observation. For me there is always is a certain point of growing out where your hair is just well...not that great looking. This is just my observation for me. I just tell myself that it won't always be like this and it will keep growing and then you can do all sorts of fun things with it. If you cut it you will be back to square one and you don't want that!

For me the ugly stage did not last that long. Just keep taking care of it like you love it. Treat it well and pamper it even while it is in the ugly stage. I cut mine from 29" to pretty short. It went through the ugly phase and I just kept taking good care of it. It is now at a better length where I actually like it. I wear headbands and barrettes. I love to find really pretty barrettes that make me feel pretty. It helps!

I know I will get it long again and keep my goal in my head and then I just go on with my life and my hair just keeps growing!! Hang in there and don't give up. It will get better. Oh I thought of something else. I like to try different shampoos that is fun too.

It will be OK!!!!! :)

Nera
January 29th, 2009, 05:02 AM
you might be really bored with your hair, but don't forget that others are not as focussed on the growth as you are(: your hair probably looks just fine, and you won't be bored with it in the future...

unless you'd cut it now! hehe(:

Sammybunny711
January 29th, 2009, 05:18 AM
I was in your position last year! I made it through though, all the way to "almost apl" but I cut mine back to chin in September (STUPID me!!!!) so now I am at mid-neck/almost shoulders. Trust me...if length is what you want, just plow through this awkward phase. It will SERIOUSLY be gone soon.

Tap Dancer
January 29th, 2009, 05:30 AM
Keep in mind that if you cut your hair, you'll have this same problem again when it grows back. Ignore it for a few months and it'll look better. Sometimes you just have to put up with an awkward stage, but it's worth it to wait.

viking_quest
January 29th, 2009, 07:43 AM
I grew out from a pixie and ignored it. I wanted to cut my hair into a pixie again because the layers would bug me, so when my longest layer grew to shoulder length I cut it to be more even with the other layers. I also learned to braid my hair at this stage so it seemed that I was doing something with my hair.

lora410
January 29th, 2009, 07:52 AM
I have grown out from a very short 2" all around cut I didn't ask for. Wear headbands, clip hair back, etc. Just do what you need to do do stop thinkign about it. It will grow out faster then you think.

Xandergrammy
January 29th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Headbands, bobby pins and little barrettes were lifesavers for me at this stage. And lots of gel.

Pixna
January 29th, 2009, 08:41 AM
I agree with all the advice you've gotten so far. Hang in there!!! I'm at a similar stage right now...and I've been extra-long in the past. We've just got to brave this stage out to get to where we want to be. There just aren't any short-cuts (unfortunately). Treat your hair with loving-kindness now. Wear headbands -- get some cute and original ones. Buy a barrette or two that you can use when your hair gets a tad longer in the next couple months -- you'll have something to look forward to, and it will be there waiting for you as soon as you're ready for it. Look at all the lovely long-haired people here for inspiration. And know that if you do any cuts or trimming now, you'll just be back to where you started and you'll only regret it (trust me, I'm an expert on that!!!).

spidermom
January 29th, 2009, 09:00 AM
It's kind of weird; I've grown out bleach and henna before, and I didn't mind my hair being two toned. However, it absolutely drove me crazy to grow out my hair with little uneven straggles all over the place. I'd wait until I absolutely couldn't stand it any more, then I'd go to a hair stylist and only have the bottom-most length trimmed up a little to make it look even and "neat" again. Then grow again until I couldn't stand it any more and repeat.

suicides_eve
January 29th, 2009, 10:10 AM
i always kept this in mine:
every 3 months is nearly 3 inches
so you *may* be shoulder length by then and from there 3 more months would be nearing APL.

hide the scissors

it really helped me mentally get through this hair transition it will be nearly a 1 1/2 and i will be bsl in just a few months..
3 months goes bye fast

LaurelSpring
January 29th, 2009, 10:24 AM
ODAAT (One day at a time)

I just went through one of those I cant do anything with my hair awkward stages but there is no way I'd set myself back!

Look at the pictures here for encouragement and find some sort of thing you can do with your hair to live with it and just keep plugging along with it and then the awkward phase will be over for awhile and then you get the fun of having another one! Then that one will pass and one day you will be looking at your long hair thinking God I love my hair!

Mrs.Hildy
January 29th, 2009, 10:32 AM
It is a bit juvenile, but I love this hairdo I did on my daughter, in the profile picture. Maybe you could have someone do yours like this?

janeytilllie
January 29th, 2009, 10:40 AM
I feel your pain!

I too have grown from short and I have layers which i hate :mad:
And I too have considered chopping off the layers and reaching for the scissors. :scissors:

But my advice is

1. Talk to others on here for support, I did :D They are brillent!!!!!!! :toast:

2. Ignore the temtation to chop

3. Find a hair inspiration picture to encourage you too grow and keep going.

4. Whenever I feel bad about my hair I go shopping to lift my sprits up.
Buy cute headbands and clips for your hair or buy some nice hair treats oils and hair stuff. When the tough gets going....... GO SHOPPING!!! :inlove: :cheese::cheese::cheese:

Darkhorse1
January 29th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Go out and buy yourself some hair clips. Play around with different styles so that you are happy with the in-between phases. This way, you have something sparkly and pretty and it'll help you stick with your goal.

Also, you can go to the hair dresser to get a bit of a trim. That will even out the layers a bit. Good luck!!!

elbow chic
January 29th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Set a mini-goal for time, not length. You can't make it grow, but you can make yourself give it time.

Depends on how desperate you are: "If I still feel this way one week from today, I'll get a haircut." Usually the feeling of desperation will have faded by then.

Or, "I'll let myself make an appointment on my next birthday" (If that's coming up.)

That's how I got from pixie to shoulder... in little three-month time posts, marked by family birthdays ("When my daughter turns one... when my son turns three... after my anniversary....)

And indulge in all the fun hats and scarves you can get your paws on. :p

LutraLutra
January 29th, 2009, 11:37 AM
All I can say is that the 'awful' stage doesn't last long - it might feel like a long time, but it really isn't. My hair looked awful for about 9 months, which felt like forever, but I'm so, so glad I didn't cut, becasue I wouldn't be where I am now. It will pass, honest. :)

Moiraine
January 29th, 2009, 11:46 AM
I started growing about 3 years ago from a very short allover curly do (maybe it's called pixie if you are straight-haired,lol). Everybody reaches this place where there is a fork in the road: you can cut or you can persevere and keep growing *sigh*

I got past this stage because I kept putting off going to the hairdressers and when I finally had a good look at my hair I figured "well I've gone this far, might as well grow it out."

I didn't join LHC until 2007 and I had grown all my tiddly bits down but it was all uneven and the layers made it thin so I just my daughter to chop the whole thing off to just about shoulder length. And I am still growing.

I got thru that awful "fork in the road" like everyone here mentioned: hairbands, little claw-clips and bobby-pins, pony-stubs and pretty regular-type clips to make the back look pretty and keep the straggles off my neck

I lucked out that I joined LHC in the summer and was encouraged because my hair grows quicker in the summer so by the time the worst heat was over, I was past the "I want to cut" phase.

Please don't cut your hair out of frustration, if you really want to grow longer hair. This too will pass and by summertime if not before you will be glad you "hung in there".... <3 <3 <3

leilamarie79
January 29th, 2009, 12:14 PM
I'm with you at that I want to cut stage right now. I've been resisting a couple of ways. Primarily is being on this forum and looking at all the beautiful pictures of all the loooong haired people on here. I also gave my credit card to my husband so I couldn't go to the hairdressers (while I'm in my desperation phase). I've got all these layers from when my hair was really short, and I'm dying to get rid of them, but if I did, I'd lose a ton of length. So hang in there. This too shall pass.

FallenAngel
January 29th, 2009, 02:42 PM
THANK you all for caring! This is a friendly place, indeed!

I put some coconut oil in my hair left it in for 2 hours, washed it, then put a hat on and went out holding a dog training class for 3 hours where noone cares about your looks what-so-ever.

Now, with hat removed and after all that coconut oil my hair is flat, straight and.. yes, it looks a little longer than it does when it is wavy! I'm hanging in there! I'm on the "no cuts or trims 2009" challange, and my biggest goal is to keep my hair healthy. But of course I envy all of the lovely long hairs here and I'd love to have healthy and long for the first time ever.

Thank you again for your support!

Spike
January 30th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Good on ya, FallenAngel!!!

I second the "play with it" votes for the icky period. The last time I grew mine out (er, the time BEFORE this one) my hair STALLED at just about jaw-length. For months. Guess what the least flattering length on my face is?

Yup. Oh, the flaming ball of suck.

So I bought wash-out dyes and colored it fancifully, I wore scarves and hats liberally, I used leave-in conditioners to appease the hair gods and reassure them that, yes, I meant to grow it all back out again.

It worked. I kept my hands off the shears, and got back to TBL after a while.

(Many years later, I cut it all off again, but that's a different story.)