PDA

View Full Version : calling guys with long hair, how do you wear yours?

pdy2kn6
January 29th, 2009, 01:20 AM
I know theres often a bit of stigma attached to guys wearing long hair in certain protective styles, even in today's society!!! I was just curious how other guys with hair longer than shoulder level wear there hair? Do you opt for using hair sticks? a simple braid? bun? etc

Bene
January 29th, 2009, 01:23 AM
not a guy (sorry) and not much of a fan of long hair on guys, but there's always an exception to the rule:

guys with long hair and a messy bun up with a natural colored wood chopstick.... it's both masculine and confident :)

Gumball
January 29th, 2009, 01:49 AM
I think you've asked something similar to this a while back, but for humor's sake I'll reply similarly here. I'm a guy and I wear my hair however I feel like I want to. I wear a braid most often, but I use hair sticks for various buns, too, and have done other kinds of braids/styles to myself as well. It's all what you're comfortable with really. That's the main thing.

pdy2kn6
January 29th, 2009, 04:40 AM
[quote=Gumball;440642]I think you've asked something similar to this a while back, but for humor's sake I'll reply similarly here. [quote]

I think i may of done, back when i wasn't too sure of the regulations or what longhaircommunity was really about. Now i am a more committed member i thought i would ask just to include new male members and see what the general response was. Its great hearing more males are opting for braids. I agree it is definately about what you feel comfortable in...however for me protectiveness has to override comfortbility.

GlassEyes
January 29th, 2009, 09:56 AM
I'm not the best person to ask, because I simply can't care about social stigmas, but I usually wear it down or have it in a ponytail, simply because it's short.

Todays the first time i'm wearing braids, actually, and I plan to do it more often. When it gets longer, I will use hairsticks ad any number of buns. I could care less what other people think about it.

VikingJarl
January 29th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Buns and braids for me during the week, I generally have it down at weekends though.

rockkcor
January 29th, 2009, 10:18 AM
I go for braids and ponytails. Folded ponytail is just as good…
Loose hair is for relaxed environment I guess…

janeytilllie
January 29th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Im not a guy, but my BF has lovely long red hair :D
he has nearly BSL and its thick.

He wears it lose mostly but does sometimes wear a simple ponytail or braid.

ecologystudent
January 29th, 2009, 11:14 AM
I'm not a guy, but my boyfriend is. He usually has it in a pony tail, but he likes it better when I braid it.

Shadow Walker
January 29th, 2009, 11:29 AM
I wear mine down all the time unless I'm at work, then it's in a ponytail.

Les
January 29th, 2009, 11:33 AM
In addition to ponytails & wearing it down, I frequently wear my hair in braids and buns. Braids are usually a single english, sometimes french braid occasionally in a pair. The most common bun I wear is a figure-8, held with either a single hairstick (I love the bronze ones from Crafty Celts) or a simple 2-prong wooden fork. I've never gotten a negative comment as a result of my hairstyle choices. In fact, another LHC member spotted me "in the wild" (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=14859) as a result of them.

Eden Iris
January 29th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Speaking for the husband: low ponytail, every day. When he rode a motorcycle every day, he tucked it in this fleece neckwarmer thing to protect it. He's not a stick or bun kind of guy, but I think those look great on confident, long-haired men (then again, what doesn't?).

TheSpottedCow
January 29th, 2009, 11:51 AM
My boyfriend almost always wears it down and sometimes in a ponytail... Mostly that style is for a greasy day when he's really late for work or class and just can't find the time to wash it. His hair is BSL length (if he was wearing a bra LOL) and he hasn't cut it since it was a buzz cut, so while it has natural "layers" it's all pretty long and stays behind his shoulders and out of his face most of the time so that's why it's always down.

When he does need it in a "protective" style when he's being physically active he actually tends to wear it in two braids. Or three. He's usually skating so when he's wearing a helmet a bun would be too big and there's nothing wrong with one braid but for some reason he likes two.

I have to teach him how to put a bun in with a hairstick, but he'd wear it that way too.

Beatnik Guy
January 29th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Ponytail or banded-tail.

JensT
January 29th, 2009, 04:11 PM
A lose braid to keep it together.
http://picasaweb.google.be/Tomkuyken/Leuven#5253090619830078354
http://picasaweb.google.be/Tomkuyken/Leuven#5253090619830078354

DaveDecker
January 29th, 2009, 04:23 PM
My daily do is a single braid, ends wrapped and tied. On occasion with hairy friends I've been tried french braids, low buns, or just loose. I wore it in a ponytail until it got to be about classic length, but by then the weight pulled the ponytail band loose so that no longer became achievable. Perhaps if I'd had a better band...

jera
January 29th, 2009, 04:44 PM
I'm not a guy, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity for all this eye candy. :p That being said, I vote for ponytails or single braids.

Awesome hair, Dave. :D

Peter
January 29th, 2009, 05:00 PM
I usually wear it loose. Sometimes a ponytail or English braids.

Drynwhyl
January 29th, 2009, 05:31 PM
yeah, so most of guys I know wear either loose or in a ponytail.
Sometimes I braid my bf's hair, he can't really do it himself...
depends what "style" (i hate that expression) you have, you can experiment with things...like, you know, some viking-ish braids or stuff ^^

EdG
January 29th, 2009, 05:45 PM
I always wear my hair loose. :)
Ed

trolleypup
January 29th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Usually it is in a single stick bun (aka Lazy 8 bun), but when I'm going out it is often down. Rarely I braid it, and for very protective situations I use a Pony Scrub[1].

I'm not too concerned about social stigma.

My bun is fairly recognizable, I had someone note that their nickname for me (we sometimes ride the same bus in the morning) is The Bun Guy.

[1] Over the weekend, up in a Pony Scrub for two days, doing trailwork, including crawling through horrible brush[2], my hair was less tangly than if I mostly leave it up for a couple days at home, with less sheds than normal.

[2] My arms and legs were scratched through my protective clothing.

kam984420
January 29th, 2009, 08:04 PM
My hair isnt long enough to pull back yet so its always down.

Johanna
January 30th, 2009, 03:03 AM
My partner had APL hear before he joined the army, he used to just have his hair tied in a pony tail. He has gorgeous curls and has eagerly promised to grow his hair back when he leaves the Army. I'm looking forward to practising on his hair :D

KnightsLady
January 30th, 2009, 04:10 AM
Not a guy, but just wanted to add my observations on the local long hair guy styles because I've been really impressed with some of them and the condition of the hair generally.

Bee-butt and other buns, ponytails, banded ponytails, braids (I still remember a chap from about twenty years ago who had the most fabulous curly red hair. He had the neatest braid I'd ever seen.) and very occassionally loose.

ale
January 30th, 2009, 04:51 AM
My everyday style is an Equilibrium bun, it's been my favorite since I discovered it; sometimes I wear a braid, more rarely a figure 8 or a celtic knot. I don't like the ponytail, it makes me look like the "average longhair" - and I hate being on the average. I love the segmented ponytail, especially now that I can easily use seven bands for it!

DavidN
January 30th, 2009, 04:54 AM
Nothing special, since I wear it down most of the time, and in a ponytail for some physical activities.

Vivien'
January 30th, 2009, 05:20 AM
Usually in a bun. Or a braid sometimes.

Les
January 30th, 2009, 07:28 AM
I don't like the ponytail, it makes me look like the "average longhair" - and I hate being on the average.

I feel exactly the same way. I don't have anything against ponytails, but I personally feel that I didn't grow my hair this long to only have one or two options... I need more variety.

biggeorge
January 30th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Either loose or in a tail.

nessthing
January 30th, 2009, 12:39 PM
If my hair's at all presentable I wear it down, especially now that it's winter and the cold dry air makes it stay perfect.

In the kitchen at BK I braid it mostly, just because it's the easiest, fastest, most hair-containing one-band style that accommodates the hat.

A single three-strand braid is usually my "bad hair day" style too. Not cause I'm afraid to do anything prettier, I just can't.

david
January 30th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Mostly I wear my hair down but when it comes to styles my usual everyday styles are ponytails and plaits/braids (english and french). Dending on the occasion, for example, formal events I also wear half-up styles and I even tried a bun once. It really just depends on what mood im in really.

Pierre
January 30th, 2009, 05:58 PM
In winter, I often wear a Polar Buff over loose hair. In summer, on really hot days, I make two Dutch braids, one behind each ear. On markcool and lukewarm days, I make a simple bun, or twist the ends of the braids into a bun, or make a bun behind each ear. But lately it's been warm enough that I braided for a change. In church, if my hair's loose I bun it.

tomm
January 30th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Occasionally, in a ponytail, but most days, like this:

http://tomandeva.googlepages.com/HPIM2148.JPG

Alun
January 30th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Mostly loose, including at work. I work behind a desk, so how could it get in the way? I think most guys who tie their hair back to go to work are paranoid that loose hair will be disapproved of, unless of course they do something that involves lots of physical activity, in which case they have a more practical reason. I was put off that idea when I saw someone who worked elsewhere get asked by his boss "If you wear it in a ponytail all the time, why don't you just cut it off?", so I always have it loose at work.

When I do want to secure my hair on my own time, either because it's just too hot, or I'm going to fix the car, or do something else where it might get in my eyes, or just because I feel like it, then I either do a ponytail or a single braid. A single braid is called a plait or a pigtail where I'm from originally, but national and regional variations in English would render those terms incomprehensible/ambiguous to a lot of people here. I prefer a pigtail, but a ponytail is a little quicker to do.

Being in the old fart category, I remember when ponytails on men weren't considered socially acceptable, even though long hair was at the time, i.e. the '70s. Things have changed. I think there may actually be more people now that don't like long hair on guys than there were then, so we have perhaps gone backwards a bit. OTOH, I feel comfortable ignoring anyone with such an opinion. Ponytails and even pigtails on guys don't raise an eyebrow now, though. Going out with my hair braided gets no reaction atall, good or bad. Loose hair sometimes gets a reaction, and nearly always positive.

Maybe a bun on a guy wouldn't really get much, or even any, reaction now either, but I honestly don't have the nerve to find out. I can do a simple one, though, should I ever really want to. I only have such an urge when I get jealous of girls with buns when it's 90 Fahrenheit and 90 % humidity and the back of my neck is hot. Those big claw clips look so easy to use that I am really tempted, but the idea of having something that resembles a giant butterfly on the back of my head seems too girly!

Arfed
January 31st, 2009, 06:21 AM
Mostly down, and a ponytail when I want/need it up; haven't used braids much yet, but will when my hair gets longer.

jtl45
January 31st, 2009, 07:35 AM
lots of braids and loose on the weekends. I have a girlfriend that has tried just about every style that is possible for fun but I would probably never venture out of the apartment looking like that!
Jim

jera
January 31st, 2009, 03:05 PM
That's a stellar braid jtl. :)

drquartz1970
January 31st, 2009, 04:24 PM
I wear my hair loose - though I can sometimes tie it back in a ponytail when doing manual work other then that I prefer to let it stay untethered.

Fingolphin
April 21st, 2009, 08:04 PM
Unfortunately, my hair is pretty short now (trying to grow it back out), but when I worked at a major hardware store chain, I always wore in in a bun, or with a hat and folded pony with the pony through the back cap opening. Elsewhere wore it in buns, French braids, or usually just pulled back on top with the rest loose. Not too concerned with what people think. Would love to try hairsticks! :cool:

morguebabe
April 21st, 2009, 08:57 PM
My DBF wears his hair in a simple braid or in a pony tail that he puts a few more bands on every few inches down.

Pierre
April 21st, 2009, 09:04 PM
I came up with a new style since I got Flexis. I make a ponytail above each ear, including the beardicle. It's fun and soft and keeps the hair off whatever might catch it while also keeping it loose so that I can stroke my face with it. When I get the tiny Flexis, I should be able to dispense with the beardicles and tuck them in my shirt where I usually put them.

lynnala
April 21st, 2009, 10:08 PM
I have a male friend who wears his long gray hair always in a ponytail. The few times he's had it down, I've told him that he needs to condition! His hair is very frizzy and not healthy looking when down. But he doesn't listen to me. He just puts it back in a ponytail.

Furiana
April 22nd, 2009, 06:48 PM
I've seen men with wearing their hair in buns, usually men with curls in messy buns. (It looks sooo goood! :o)

I noticed that they're often friends with other guys/girls who have dreadlocks! And since guys with dreadlocks often wear their hair in ponytails and buns, I'm wondering if that's making it more acceptable for other men to ponytail/bun their hair...

Shanarana
April 22nd, 2009, 07:05 PM
Ponytail or banded-tail.

I think the banded-tail looks great on men.

AmyJorgensen
April 22nd, 2009, 07:50 PM
I'd like to see a guy wearing a ponytail that is tied with a velvet or corduroy-like ribbon instead of an elastic band. Maybe in black, brown, or some other dark color.

sn0w
April 22nd, 2009, 08:29 PM
i'm not a guy but i have seen a lot of guys with long-ish hair or ras in the caribbean have cornrow / canerow in their hair [that a lot of small fench braids] (http://www.wikihow.com/Braid-Cornrows) in various paterns. Since it keeps the hair out of the way and keeps you cooler due to the heat here :sun:

Venged_Kitty
April 22nd, 2009, 10:22 PM
When my hair was long, back in August, I just straightened it all around, and with my bangs, I either parted them or just threw them off to one side just above my eyes - usually my right.

jay0
April 22nd, 2009, 10:45 PM
I wear mine in a ponytail, and occasionally down.

dontknowaname
April 22nd, 2009, 11:56 PM
Almost always in a ponytail, because its more practical at school :) but sometimes i wear it loose, which im trying to do more lately.:D

drquartz1970
April 23rd, 2009, 01:24 AM
My hair is only now gotten past my shoulders and I usually prefer to wear it loose except on windy days I will tie it back in a small ponytail. At present I don't have much length for making braids or any of the other longer hair styles but with the onward march of time and with a gradually evolving greater length I will experiment with the different ways of restaining hair (and have a bit of fun at the same time!)

Duncan

Laurenji
April 23rd, 2009, 01:28 AM
This thread is really interesting...mostly just because I'm finding out which LHC-ers are male! Sometimes it's hard to tell from a "back of the head" picture...

I'm not a guy, but I think the loose bun, "samuri-knot" style hair looks really good on men with hair long enough for it.

bte
April 24th, 2009, 01:39 AM
I usually have a ponytail during the day and a plait (braid) at night. I don't really understand the comment that there's no point in having long hair if you're only going to wear it in a ponytail - being able to have a ponytail was one of my initial reasons for growing it. I'm not really a fan of updos which hide the length - on men or women.

Mr.Heigui
July 26th, 2011, 09:02 PM
my hair isnt really long enough yet to put into a bun or to do a whole lot with, and the curliness of it makes its a rather voluminous. typically i tie my hair back, and plait the tail, before tying it up to keep it kinda neat. I'd like to try a bun though, if it is long enough to do that,just for the convenience.

gthlvrmx
July 26th, 2011, 09:14 PM
I bun it :cool:
Because im cool like that.
Mainly because it's very protective and i feel very comfortable wearing buns! I feel insecure with braids until it get's much thicker, but it's whatever i feel like!

More or less, it's a matter of protection for me unless it's a fancy day where i can show off my curls, but has to be very special! Graduation is not special enough :D It was special enough to get a braided nautilus bun

SoulOfTheSea
July 26th, 2011, 09:38 PM
When my DBF had long hair, it was just past his shoulders and big and puffy!!! He would just wear it down everyday, lol And he had no idea how to take care of his hair... well at least it's short now and he doesn't have to worry about... I must admit he looks better with short hair x] (Even though his long hair was a big reason I was initially attracted to him! O: )

Dragon Faery
July 27th, 2011, 12:33 AM
My husband used to have hip-length hair. He sometimes wore it in a ponytail, but usually he kept it in the three braids which are the traditional style for men in his tribe. He's growing it out again, and it's not long enough for the braids yet, so he keeps it in a ponytail or sometimes down when he's not working.

Biedronka
July 27th, 2011, 12:50 AM
DBF has beautiful curly hair that he is currently growing out...it's about shoulder length when stretched straight.He can't do a full ponytail yet,so he does it half-up half-down for now.He wants to get it long it enough to be able to do the samurai-knot bun thingie..which i think will look very very nice :)

IanB
July 27th, 2011, 01:38 AM
Almost always down, the occasional pony tail. I admire the more adventurous styles on younger guys, but not they they would suit us pensioners :D

Svart
July 27th, 2011, 07:57 AM
Simple english braid usually, sometimes (rarely) bunned with metal fork.

Carriegirl
July 27th, 2011, 08:26 AM
Just chiming in with a female opinion....I love long (healthy, well-taken care of) hair on guys. I personally am a big fan of long dreds, but I know that's not a style that you can just wear for a day! :p I think half-ups are totally cool on guys with long hair! I think they look really great and still masculine. They're simple, but have more flair and style than just a ponytail.

Lots of awesome hair in this thread! ;)

mykle
July 20th, 2013, 11:30 PM
Mostly in a ponytail, but I am working on braiding now that it is long enough. I dont like wearing it down much as having it around my face bothers me a lot, but I like the feeling of it on my back and shoulders.

flemeister
July 21st, 2013, 12:09 AM
Just a smidge past shoulder level, so just a ponytail as it's not long enough for braiding yet. But I'll start braiding as soon as it's long enough, right now it's like a cup-a-soup -- two times over and *bing* it's done! :rolleyes:

yoni
July 21st, 2013, 01:42 AM
Been wearing a ponytail for almost 2 years solely and it has been tiring, plus my hair got so long (Waist-Tailbone) that it's just not that useful to have it in a ponytail without it getting tangled/dry.

So nowadays I wear it in a bun :D (though it falls a lot, damn you elastic band!)

daredevil14
July 21st, 2013, 02:05 AM
APL wavy/curly here, mostly in a ponytail at work and occasionally outside, and down at home/outside.

However, I am tired of the ponytail and most probably it's the ultimate real reason behind some dry frizzy nap hair, I am thinking of starting to put it in a bun, also braids can be an option. I still can't properly achieve the former, nor the latter though :D

Arien
July 21st, 2013, 02:05 AM
My husband, ever since I have known him, has consistently worn his hair in a low ponytail. He did wear it down when he younger as well, but he doesn't tend to do that very often now. He did also at one point when he was much younger have an undercut so wore it in a higher ponytail at that point. He was until recently wearing it in the ponytail with a part down the middle until I managed to convince him that it is more flattering on him when he wears it brushed straight back over his head into a ponytail. :).

yoni
July 21st, 2013, 07:16 AM
APL wavy/curly here, mostly in a ponytail at work and occasionally outside, and down at home/outside.

However, I am tired of the ponytail and most probably it's the ultimate real reason behind some dry frizzy nap hair, I am thinking of starting to put it in a bun, also braids can be an option. I still can't properly achieve the former, nor the latter though :D

I believe the bun should be very easy to do, how do you try doing it? :)

WilfredAllen
July 21st, 2013, 10:03 AM
I think basket weave braids would look really cool on men

cranberrymoonz
July 21st, 2013, 11:04 AM
My boyfriend, who has hip length hair, (so proud!) usually wears it in a low ponytail, or he asks me to braid it. Sometimes, especially on hot days, I am allowed to make a simple bun:P He is very self-conscious about his hair not looking manly.. *sigh*

I love it when men wear half-ups or awesome buns. I think you can get away with many styles, as long as you don't wear too glittery hair toys and stick with materials like plain wood or leather(no pun intended, LOL). That would be kind of viking:P But then again, it's all about what you are comfortable with.

Tori Angeli
July 21st, 2013, 02:56 PM
I think half-ups have been acceptably manly since around the time Lord of the Rings came out and manly characters like Eomer and Aragorn were rocking the half-ups. I personally think a long braid is fantastically gender-neutral and I gravitate toward men with them like an accurate simile.

FuzzyBlackWaves
July 21st, 2013, 03:14 PM
My first boyfriend had shoulder length hair that he wore down all the time but put into a ponytail for swimming. My second ex had around APL hair at one point before he met me and used to also leave it loose or tie it in a ponytail (much further down than my first, who did a high-ponytail-side fringe thing).

Has anybody here tried the half up, half down where you braid just the top layer of your hair? It seems like a guy's hairstyle for some reason.

Filip Bresan
July 25th, 2013, 12:07 AM
Down whenever I can. But in a low ponytail or bun when eating or working.

tommyboy
March 2nd, 2014, 01:31 PM
awkward stage ponytail here. Just bought hair ties last week now that I can get a solid amount of hair tied back, and I have been leaving the short layers loose, but am starting to use bobby pins to pin those back.

PrincessBob
March 2nd, 2014, 08:23 PM
Snuggles has hip length hair. He wears it daily in a ponytail, but also will wear braids and buns as the mod strikes him. He even has his own collection of hair sticks and forks and a couple of bun covers. He's never gotten told his hair is unmanly or whatever in these styles, but then again he also has a full beard... :D