PDA

View Full Version : New to the forums, advice for the greasies?

Chanteuse87
January 28th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Hello all,
I'm so happy to have found this site! While I really enjoy short hair, I had long hair up until I was 18 -- and now as a poor college student I'm growing it out again because I can't afford frequent cuts :p But I'd like to do it right. My biggest problem is my greasy scalp. One day after washing and it's an oil slick that needs to be washed again. I know it's probably a reaction to overwashing, but I've never been able to deal with limp, dirty hair for more than two or three days, max. I would, however, like to attempt to fix this. I've started alternating CO and CWC, and will do my first ever clarifying shampoo this weekend (when I can stay in my room if it's an absolute wreck!). I'm hoping that if my hair shows damage, it'll just be moisture related, which seems easy enough to deal with. Long term goal would be to hopefully get to a point where I can CO once every other day, or every few days (with a shampoo every now and again), so I'm not washing my hair too much. Does this sound like a good plan? Any advice?

Also, sometimes when I don't shampoo my hair over the weekend, I'll use a BBB to attempt to spread the sebum through my whole length -- but it never seems to do much good. It might spread a bit, maybe two or three inches from the scalp, but the end result is still oily on top, a bit dry at the ends. Am I not doing it right?

Thanks in advance for the help, and I'll continue to read through the boards looking for good tips!

amiaow
January 29th, 2009, 12:55 AM
Hi Chanteuse,

It seems many people have success with stretching out their washes but personally it has never worked for me. We both have fine hair and I think that fine, oily hair just shows up the greasies. I can't BBB either.

To look after my hair I use moisturising shampoo and conditioner- Biolage hydrating is my current favourite although it's a bit expensive. Otherwise, a daily conditioner only seems to be doing the trick at the moment as well- but I can't leave it any longer than this! For your ends and length, regular deep conditioning treatments are the way to go I think, plus a good leave in always helps.

There are a few threads about washing frequency and you'll find there are more daily washers out there than you think!

Good luck with your growing :)

andber
January 29th, 2009, 01:08 AM
Welcome to the forums, Chanteuse. :) I am sure you will find a way to take care of your longer hair with the help of all the great and knowledgable people here at this site.
Do you have any plan on growing your hair, any length you would like to achieve? Or is it that you keep it long mainly since you can't afford to go to the hairdresser.

There are many here on the forums who prefer not to go to the hairdresser, surely due to several reasons: one is bad experience with hairdresser who don't respect their wish to grown long hair and don't know how to take care of it. Here's a question to everbody on the forums... If you don't visit hairdressers, why not? Who do you trust with taking care of your hair?

OhioLisa
January 29th, 2009, 01:33 AM
I think the best things you can do for fine, oily hair are to ditch cones, use really gentle shampoos, and keep your hands out of your hair as much as possible. It was only after I stopped using sulfate shampoos and conditioners with cones that I was able to stretch my washes to every other day. I could stretch longer, but I really don't see a point, since my hair is quite content with every other day.

aisling
January 29th, 2009, 01:39 AM
I also have a greasy scalp and fine hair and haven't been successful with pacing our my washes, I still wash at least my scalp every second day in general. With longer hair I'm at least able to do scalp only washings.

I've actually had good results with diluted shampoo, it washes as well as full strength shampoo and my scalp seems to get a little less greasy in 2 days when I use diluted shampoo and also a shampoo with less harsh sulfates. It's worth trying, I think.

I've never had good results from trying to spread sebum with a BBB. My sebum doesn't like to move much, my fine hair just turns flatter and flatter and I feel that the brushing easily damages my hair as well. I really prefer to wash my hair and forget about brushing :) Some slight greasiness, for example some strands above my face, I've "hiddedn" with talcum powder, dusted the greasy part with that and combed/brushed it out, it works like a dry shampoo.

andber, I just have to ask, what is your advice to the OP? I don't see any advice how to deal with a greasy scalp and I thought that was what this thread is about.

andber
January 29th, 2009, 02:03 AM
aisling,

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction! :)
I also have greasy scalp but I have short hair so I am afraid my own experience wouldn't help so much. I wash my hair about twice a week and that fixes most of the problem for me.

Writing links to webpages here on LHC??? A question for admins or anybody else who might know: If I search for info on the web about something (like greasy scalp) and find things that I think can help and is relevant, can I post any links to those resources or should I copy the relevant text and include in my post? It's hard to give source of info if I can't mention the link which I guess would be a nice way when "borrowing" text. Often I don't have the answer myself but I gladly help out with finding info on the web (of course including LHC forums) if I can.

sklent
January 29th, 2009, 05:18 AM
Hi Chanteuse,

I'm pretty new here too. All my life I've had an oily scalp. I also overwashed until a hairdresser told me to stop washing my hair everyday.
What really helps for me is putting my hair up in a secure bun the whole day. I secure mine with 3 or 4 bobby pins because I have a lot of layers and it will simply not hold with a stick. This way I do not touch it, and it really has been the biggest help in going longer between washes. At night i redo the bun and move it to the top of my hair so I can sleep.
Also, between normal washes, I do no 'poo washes. While my hair cannot handle going totally no 'poo :(, it is very happy with these mild in-between washes. this way your scalp won't feel that much need to overproduce sebum. I hope that helps some..

Queenie
January 29th, 2009, 05:52 AM
Hi there, welcome :waving:

I've had problems with oily hair for as long as I can remember. When I first got into 'proper' long hair care I tried stretching between washes, CO, gentle shampoos, without much luck. The greasies have stayed, it's just my hair/scalp/skin type.
Now I've accepted the fact that I'll always have to wash more frequently. I adjusted my routine accordingly.

I scalp wash every other day, and I try to go a day longer if possible (when I don't have to leave etc) or when my hair still looks acceptable. Look at your hair and see if it really needs a wash, don't wash because it's been x days since your last wash.
I do use gentle shampoos.

However, using herbs to wash (soapwort) and using indigo to color have been the best things for me to prevent oily hair. It takes one or two extra days to become really greasy and in need of a wash, making it easier to stretch between washes.

I second the secure bun (or a tighter ponytail). It makes the greasies less visible and it keeps you from fiddling too much with it, causing more oiliness.

Good luck!

Chanteuse87
January 29th, 2009, 06:46 AM
When I can afford it, I *love* Biolage. Right now I'm on more of a Suave budget :p And it's good to know that washing your scalp every day/every other day might not be as big of a sin as I thought...

Chanteuse87
January 29th, 2009, 06:49 AM
Oh, I have no problem with the hairdresser. I have a lovely woman who is probably the best hairdresser I've ever seen -- she's very knowledgeable about healthy hair, and also gives the best cuts. The only problem is that she's anywhere from $30 to $50 a pop, depending on where she's working. As a college student, a *musician* at that, I definitely don't have the income to support that!

As for growth goals, I figure if I'm growing my hair I ought to really do it, so I'd like to get to hip, maintain it there for a bit, and then donate it when I get tired of it/have the income to keep a shorter hairstyle looking fresh.

Chanteuse87
January 29th, 2009, 06:53 AM
Hmm, yes, I've heard the talcum powder trick. Maybe I should incorporate that into my arsenal...
I'll also hunt around on the boards to find a shampoo without sulfates. Thanks!

Chanteuse87
January 29th, 2009, 06:55 AM
It does, thanks! It's also good to know that spacing out washes isn't good for everyone, since a LOT of people here seem to swear by it. Lord, if I only washed my hair once or twice a week... I can't even imagine. Someone could use me for an oil lamp!

Chanteuse87
January 29th, 2009, 06:57 AM
I figured I'd end up putting all my hair up on no-wash days :) I'd like to wait a bit, let my hair adjust to CO with the occasional CWC (if I can get away with it) and then start spacing my scalp washes at least to every other day.

Oh, as long as I'm here, does any know if there's any way to have an e-mail sent when someone responds to a thread I've created?

mellie
January 29th, 2009, 06:58 AM
I am super greasy! I usually just wash every day, so I look nice for work!

On the weekends I can go without but even then sometimes I use a dry shampoo to look better. This one works well on dark hair since the white colored ones always show up on my hair. It works great and it smells really nice too!!

Blend in food processor:
6 oz. corn meal
20 drops castor oil
30 drops lemon essential oil

Massage into hair, and brush out (I do this outside).

Anje
January 29th, 2009, 09:19 AM
If you want to try stretching out your washes, probably the first thing to do is find a relatively mild shampoo, and use it everyday, or try to switch to daily CO, which is milder still for the scalp and still should remove oil if you use enough and rinse really well. Hopefully after a few weeks, your scalp will calm down its oil production (though it doesn't happen for everyone). At that point, you can try alternating morning and evening washes to go every 36 hours without a wash, then stretch to 2 days and beyond, as your oil production permits.

If none of this works, you probably just have a naturally high oil production, rather than being oily because you react to the stripping effects of your shampoo. At that point, I think the best recommendation is scalp washes and/or CWC as often as needed. But see if you can wean yourself off the harsh daily shampoo first.

Akiko
January 29th, 2009, 09:19 AM
Oh, as long as I'm here, does any know if there's any way to have an e-mail sent when someone responds to a thread I've created?

Click "Thread Tools" in the upper menu.
Choose "Subscribe to This Thread."
Set Notification Type to "Instant notification by email."

You will get email as soon someone responds to your thread.

As for taking care of greasy scalp, nothing really worked for me. I have to wash at least once every two days. Otherwise, horror! But that's better than before. I used to wash every day. I apply conditioner below my ears. It helps.

Sometimes, I make a ponytail and wash only the top and temple areas of my scalp.

Chanteuse87
January 29th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Thanks, that all sounds great :) I just diluted my bottle of shampoo this morning, and I'll try alternating CO and CWC for the next few weeks, see what happens!

suicides_eve
January 29th, 2009, 10:12 AM
welcome, i haven't really been in you situation, but the lladies on here offer some great advice as most have been through the same things as you hair wise

Katze
January 29th, 2009, 10:36 AM
hi Chanteuse,

as another fine haired, wavy haired, formerly greasy person I can agree with some of what Aisling and OhioLisa said, especially ditching 'cones and little to no BBBing.

However, sulfates DO work best for me - I wash with sulfate shampoo (Herbal Essences, it's cheap and smells OK) maybe every 2 washes, and I wash (this is WITH oily pregnancy hair/skin) every 7 days or so!

One of the biggest things to get used to is that my "post LHC" hair is different from my "pre-LHC" hair. You will see people talking about adjustment periods and such, and, for me, this meant having to get used to hair that was darker, flatter, and softer in texture. It didn't feel like my old, damaged, hair! :D

Personally I think it is a balance between "stretching" washing (only washing when you need it) and washing often enough to keep your hair looking good. Fine hair seems to constantly change depending on seasons, hormones, etc. so you may have to play around with this. I had decided to wash my hair more often (every 3-4 days) but since I have been swimming, it seems happy with every 7 days. Weird!

Anyway good luck and welcom here!

Katze

Islandgrrl
January 29th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Welcome to you, Chanteuse87!

'm sorry, I don't have any stellar advice for you other than things mentioned by others with more similar hair. Mine is fine to medium, but I don't have the oily scalp issues.

So all you get from me is a warm welcome!

Jeni
January 29th, 2009, 10:55 AM
I'm another one with fine hair and an oily scalp. When I first joined I tried spreading out my washes (I was a previous everyday SC), I tried for about 2 or 3 months. Never worked for me. I tried sulphate/ cone free, sulphate and cone free, and sulphate and cones, nothing worked. Sulphate free made my hair greasy by the evening! I have given up, if I want to go somewhere I have to wash my hair. If I am just hanging around the house I will only wash every other day, any longer and my scalp is itchy and I feel yucky. I have often thought that is my hair was dark I could go out with 2nd day hair, the oily roots wouldn't be as noticeable I don't think. As of now the roots and about 3 or 4" get very dark which makes them look even greasier. Oh and BBB don't work for me either when it comes to distributing the oil, it just makes my hair look spot welded to my scalp.

By all means try stretching the washing out, it might work for you, I wished it had worked for me. Just don't get discourage if it doesn't, nothing works for everyone!

Islandgrrl
January 29th, 2009, 11:22 AM
You know, I just did think of something. :rolleyes:

What if you were to space your shampoo washes out a little longer and do water-only rinses in between?

Even though I don't have an oily scalp, I could never go more than 3-4 days in between shampoos. I do water-only rinses in between and have gone as long as 2 weeks in between shampoos. It's been 9 days since my last wash - it wasn't looking so hot this morning, but I rinsed it out after my workout and I'm surprised at how good it is. Might be worth a try....

The other thing I though of is how you might be conditioning your hair. Do you use conditioner all the way to your scalp? I only condition from the ears down and use a little leave-in to protect the bottom 2 inches or so. It's helped with scalp itchiness unbelievably, which lets me keep my hands out of my hair.

FWIW, I used to be a daily shampoo/conditioner girl (it's been 10 years, though since I quit shampooing every day) and my scalp was way oilier then than it is now - I HAD to wash daily. I guess I didn't put two and two together until now. :o

teela1978
January 29th, 2009, 11:35 AM
You might also want to think about diluting your shampoo. I think the concentration of detergents in shampoos is much higher than anyone really needs. I dilute each time I wash my scalp in a separate container, a small glop of shampoo in about a cup of shower water. It seems to help the shampoo get under my hair easier, and uses a LOT less shampoo. I think my ends like it better too.