PDA

View Full Version : How often do you get a haircut?

maunaloa
January 28th, 2009, 08:11 PM
I decided I am going to grow my hair as long as I can. Ideally, I would like it to be to my waist. I have heard differing opinions as to whether or not people really "need" haircuts. I rarely ever get split ends. In fact, looking at my hair now, I can't even see any. (I have coarse, Asian hair that's pretty healthy.) I am contemplating cancelling my haircut appointment next week. It just seems that she cuts off what I grow. My last haircut was in November. Thoughts?:o

HairyCarrie
January 28th, 2009, 08:17 PM
A lot of folks have decided to not trim - there are even challenges to not trim for a year, a non-trimmers measure-in thread, and so forth. I'm one of those gals who will not trim my hair in 2009. I want to quickly get some length on my head to stay motivated, and will only do a little dusting ad hoc on my bangs. I never see splits, but my hair is just hitting shoulder so it's not easy to see. My last haircut was Sept 08. I don't miss it at all...

So you are right on track to no more trims until they feel right for you.

Welcome aboard a lovely community. You'll learn so much by reading through lots of the threads.

Carrie.

sweetbluesky
January 28th, 2009, 08:20 PM
It varies for each person, but for me, when it looks bad. I like to have layers to give my hair movement, I cut my hair about 2-3 times a year for this. When I see too many splits, I get it cut and shaped.This gives my hair definition and lets my hair grow. I like to wear my hair down so I want it to look nice. :eyebrows:

chrissy-b
January 28th, 2009, 08:20 PM
I cut my hair Jan 2008 and took off an inch a couple of weeks ago. I didn't need the trim but I wanted to even up my hemline. I don't plan to cut again until next January. My hair is still pretty short, but there are plenty of people who go without cutting or only S&D that have very lovely, very long hair.

maunaloa
January 28th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Thank you so much for your comments! I love this forum. Everyone is so encouraging and I have picked up so many great hair tips!

vbear
January 28th, 2009, 08:23 PM
I get a trim about every 4-5 months. I think it helps with the keeping it healthier.

Juneii
January 28th, 2009, 08:28 PM
I have Asian hair as well, though not as coarse as your description. I haven't had any haircuts/trims since July 08 and my hair managed to stay split free once I snipped off the ones created by my flat iron.

good luck growing out your hair!

viking_quest
January 28th, 2009, 08:32 PM
I don't get splits and don't trim my hair as well. I think you really only need to trim it to even up hemlines or to get rid of a lot of damage.

Nat242
January 28th, 2009, 08:34 PM
I haven't had a haircut since September 2007. I trim off split ends when I see them. My hair has some taper at the ends, but I don't think it looks bad at all.

spidermom
January 28th, 2009, 08:57 PM
You should only get your hair cut when you feel a personal need. I got my hair trimmed a lot in 2007-2008 because I had hundreds/thousands of split ends. My hair is in much better condition now. I am not getting it cut for one year (July 08 - July 09). If I'm still satisfied with the condition, I won't cut it in July.

danacc
January 28th, 2009, 09:02 PM
If your ends are mostly in good condition, there is no hair-growth reason to trim them. I S&D (look for and trim each individual split end just above the split or damage), but it's been over 6 months since my last trim. I trimmed because my hemline was starting to become an inverted-U, and I much prefer a V shape on my hair.

Euphony
January 28th, 2009, 09:17 PM
It sounds like your hair may not need to be trimmed as often as you are getting it trimmed. I trim mine every 6 months, it doesn't appear to need it at that time, but it keeps it from getting too thin on the ends etc. My hair is in very good shape from top to bottom, I attribute a lot of that to my scheduled trims. I only get 1/4" trimmed when I do get it trimmed.

RavennaNight
January 28th, 2009, 10:16 PM
I trim my own ends every couple of months. I actually havent since the beginning of fall. I probably wont. Unless I start finding more splits than an S&D session can handle.

HildeMV
January 29th, 2009, 10:03 AM
The last time I went to the hairdresser was 6 months ago I think.
And my mom trimmed my ends about a month ago.

Ranee
January 29th, 2009, 11:25 AM
I'm planning on microtrimming ervery two months. I have gone with as much as two years without cutting in the past though.

Xandergrammy
January 29th, 2009, 11:27 AM
I don't cut.

ChatoyantLocks
January 29th, 2009, 11:31 AM
I haven't had a hair cut since 1993. I just cut off split ends one at a time with a sharp scissors periodically.

ecologystudent
January 29th, 2009, 11:53 AM
I'm just starting to grow out, but I've challenged myself to not get my hair cut for 5 years. I'm going to take really good care of it- no pony tails, no pulling it when I'm stressed, etc. I'm also going to start braiding it, and doing cat nip rinses when it's long enough.

Katla
January 29th, 2009, 12:01 PM
8-10 months between haircuts seems to fit my hair before it starts to get too many split ends and all. It's been around eight months since my last trim, but this time I've bought a pair of good-quality scissors for trimming and intend to handle the split ends myself :D Or try to, at least.

suicides_eve
January 29th, 2009, 02:24 PM
i only do it when i get the urge or thing look un-even,, i don't really get split ends any more either, no since in losing perfectly good hair;)

Botticelli Gold
January 29th, 2009, 03:44 PM
I havnt had a haircut in a salon for about 8 years. They never know how to deal with my hair, preferring to scrunch mousse through it (very 80's), and brushing it out. Ewwww.
Because my hair is curly, I just trim a cm off each curl when it starts to look straggly. Considering its length, I really dont have a problem with split ends.

Carolyn
January 29th, 2009, 04:10 PM
I trim it when I think it needs it. That might be anywhere from 3 months to 7 or 8 months. I do S & D all the time. Whether or not you "need" a haircut is a very personal thing.

JensT
January 29th, 2009, 04:15 PM
For the past few years summertime has been the time to get rid of the dead ends, but this year I missed it for some reason. Don't really mind, still looks ok.

ImperfectBrat
January 29th, 2009, 04:20 PM
I trim, for the most part, when I feel my hair needs it.

If I see heavy damage, major splits and such i take off as little as possible but still get all the "bad stuff".

Forever_Sophie
January 29th, 2009, 05:06 PM
I get mine trimmed about twice a year. Good luck :)

Kebbster
January 29th, 2009, 05:14 PM
I trim when the ends are starting to look really ratty, otherwise its S&D only.

JamieLeigh
January 29th, 2009, 05:23 PM
If you dust for split ends yourself, or have someone you trust do it for you, you shouldn't even need the trim, unless you're wanting to keep the ends blunt or shaped. :)

I trimmed in December, barely. Just to keep everything even, as that is my personal preference until I hit classic. ;)

Elphie
January 29th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Last salon cut was April 2008. Last trim was November of 2008. I tend to see what's needed about every six months.

julya
January 29th, 2009, 05:58 PM
I've gone as long as three years between trims. When my ends are too beat up and rough feeling then I trim it.

Sissy
January 29th, 2009, 09:06 PM
I have not trimmed my hair in well over a year. I'm supposed to be in the no trim 2009 challenge but I can't start my hear yet as I still haven't gotten the trim I was supposed to get before New Years :p My hair seriously needs a trim. If your hair looks healthy and even enough for your liking then I'd say trimming isn't necessary.