PDA

View Full Version : dry scalp

xkitxgirx
January 28th, 2009, 03:31 PM
What kind of shampoo should I use for a dry scalp. Sorry....I'm sure this is posted somewhere but there is SOOO much information here on LHC I'm not sure where to even start looking for that info. I have a dry scalp and I'm not sure what to do about it. I've had dandruff for as long as I can remember. Anyone have any tips for me?

mira-chan
January 28th, 2009, 08:18 PM
What kind of shampoo do you use now? Look at the ingredients, does it have a sulfate (sodium lauryl sulfate, ammonium lauryl sulfate, sodium laureth sulfate, etc.)? If it does, first thing to try if you haven't yet is to dilute it. Use less of it. Dry scalp doesn't need a much shampoo, too much makes things worse.

Second thing to try is look up Conditioner only method (articles section) and SMT (snowymoon's moisture treatment).

Those are the first and easy things to try. Your flakes, if they are from dryness, are likely to get better if you use more gentle cleansers.

Heidi_234
January 29th, 2009, 02:17 AM
I have very dry scalp, and I found out that not using shampoo made my scalp healthier (it's not as dry anymore!) and also reduced my hair shedding alot(!). As mira-chan mentioned, you might want to look for the CO thread. I do feel that cleaning the scalp is essential for it's health, so I personally use soapnuts for that.

Carolyn
January 29th, 2009, 06:38 AM
I second giving CO a try. There a quite a few here who love that washing method. I'd also suggest trying some scalp massages with oil. I like to do that the night before I plan to wash my hair the next day. One of my favorite oils to use is Aveda's Beautifying oil. It smells heavenly and feels so good on my scalp.