PDA

View Full Version : Maybe long curly hair ISN'T so unprofessional

Curlsgirl
January 28th, 2009, 12:27 PM
I am an executive at a non-profit organization and I sometimes wear my hair down and curly even though I sometimes here from people here and other places that it is supposed to be sort of not well accepted in the business world. Today I wore a half-up with just a little pulled up on each side and had to go somewhere to see a board member who is the CEO of her company. She is probably in her 60s and always looks very business-like and "perfectly put-together" if you know what I mean. Before I left, she stopped me and said, "Your hair looks beautiful"!!! The she said, "I mean it is just beautiful"! I was sort of stunned and very happily surprised! Just wanted to pass it on. I had been wearing my hair up for meetings especially and things like that but in a way I don't really care if it's business like or not lately. This makes me feel even better about it! Thought I would pass this along!

scalawaggirl
January 28th, 2009, 12:37 PM
This is wonderful news and thank for sharing! I've worn my hair long many times for work when I was in sales and the only thing I heard negative was from an ex-colleague who said he thought it looked goth before I had cut it.

spidermom
January 28th, 2009, 12:39 PM
That is very nice to hear. I hope you basked in the compliment for awhile.

Coriander
January 28th, 2009, 12:40 PM
I think that's wonderful that you received those compliments :)

Hair is hair... it's a person's personal choice and shouldn't at all be factored into any type of "professionalism" this individual would have.

My little sister, who has tattooes all over her body, dyes her hair and has earrings the size of Alaska :p hangs out with a crowd with very similar attributes, and a LOT of those people are extremely professional.

I guess it's in the eye of the beholder. :shrug:

suicides_eve
January 28th, 2009, 12:42 PM
That's great to hear, in general professional is seen as pulled back updo hair or short pin straight( at least in my eyes that's how it is) but to be able to be natural and curly is a fantastic step.

i would be grinning from ear to ear.. congratulations

going gray
January 28th, 2009, 12:44 PM
I also thank you for sharing your story, must have really felt good, your hair is gorgeous by the way.

Sissy
January 28th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Hi Curlsgirl,

I'm glad to hear you got such a fantastic compliment (your hair is beautiful after all). I bet your hair looked really lovely. I think there is no reason well kept down curly hair shouldn't be seen as every bit as professional as an updo.

Curlsgirl
January 28th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Thank you all so much! I was hoping it might encourage someone! And YES it did make my day! I had just been thinking my hair didn't look so good today. :)

Rohele
January 28th, 2009, 02:06 PM
What a nice compliment - you do have lovely curls :)

LadyEliza
January 28th, 2009, 02:40 PM
She sounds like a very smart woman! :)

kdaniels8811
January 28th, 2009, 04:07 PM
I believe the thoughts of what is "professional" has changed, thank goodness! Women were supposed to have collar length hair and wear suits is so 1980's, that has changed to a much more casual approach. I am a "professional" in a male oriented envioronment (mechanical engineer) and as long as my clothing is clean and appropriate for the job I am doing - no heels or skirts while I am installing equipment! - there has never been any issues. So I would wear your hair down as often as you want, it certainly is beautiful! If you feel attractive, you have more self confidence which leads to being more secure in yourself and the job you are capable of doing. Just my two cents...

Fillette
January 28th, 2009, 07:32 PM
What a nice compliment to receive! And thank you for sharing this because I know a few curlies (me included) and long hairs who feel like they can't wear their hair down and/or curly and be taken seriously. Guess what people, YES WE CAN :D :cheese:
BTW - Curlsgirl, your hair always looks amazing!

SimplyLonghair
January 28th, 2009, 07:33 PM
While I agree that what is professional has changed over the years, it is still slow to catch up with other styles. She showed her good taste in hair, though. Congrats!:D

darkwaves
January 28th, 2009, 07:39 PM
What a lovely experience!

carloota
January 28th, 2009, 07:52 PM
What a nice compliment to receive! And thank you for sharing this because I know a few curlies (me included) and long hairs who feel like they can't wear their hair down and/or curly and be taken seriously. Guess what people, YES WE CAN :D

That's right! So keep rocking those curls, girl! ;)

Sihda
January 29th, 2009, 06:10 AM
Thank you so much, Curlsgirl, we really need more of these kind of storys.:)
One of my curly 'idols' is my professor at university. She has thick and very voluminous grey curly hair that she always wears down. She's a really tough woman who has seen a lot in her life. No one would view her as being unprofessional because of her hair. I hope I can be at least a bit like her (or like Curlsgirl :)) one time.

Curlsgirl
January 29th, 2009, 06:17 AM
Thanks for all the comments and compliments!!! :love: and :flower:

Carolyn
January 29th, 2009, 06:18 AM
That's so cool! What a day brightener. I'm so glad she said something to you.

Lady Verity
January 29th, 2009, 06:26 AM
Well, it most certainly *is* beautiful!

Radulfr
January 29th, 2009, 06:28 AM
Congratulations on her very truthful compliment!
Your hair is lovely. I've always liked it.
Looks professional enough to me.

mellie
January 29th, 2009, 06:32 AM
That's wonderful!! And true! I love your natural curls!!!

Lady Lilya
January 30th, 2009, 02:14 AM
I think that's wonderful that you received those compliments :)

Hair is hair... it's a person's personal choice and shouldn't at all be factored into any type of "professionalism" this individual would have.

My little sister, who has tattooes all over her body, dyes her hair and has earrings the size of Alaska :p hangs out with a crowd with very similar attributes, and a LOT of those people are extremely professional.

I guess it's in the eye of the beholder. :shrug:

I think a lot of it has to do with where you live.

bsc
January 30th, 2009, 03:27 AM
That is great. Although I think it should not be that way, I used to feel also that my long curly hair is not "appropriate" for work and would style it straight. Your story is very encouraging. Thank you!

Curlsgirl
January 30th, 2009, 05:56 AM
I think a lot of it has to do with where you live.

Oh yes I do agree!!! There is a vast difference of what's "acceptable" and what is not in different areas of the country and world for that matter. In Tennessee (at least where I live) we're behind what is considered fashionable in other parts of the country/world for sure. I don't mind that though. That is why it is fun to get other's opinions in different places. I remember going to Italy back in 1981. The cute ballet type flat shoes were EVERYWHERE and I had never really seen them. I remember it being a good five years or more before we actually had them in my area. They they were all the rage for a while and now well they're back again! LOL. How did I get off on shoes?

::wanders off to get coffee and wake up::

lora410
January 30th, 2009, 06:01 AM
Wooow what an amazing feeling I bet :)

Forever_Sophie
January 30th, 2009, 07:30 AM
That's wonderful to hear! And your hair IS beautiful! :)

nimeera
January 30th, 2009, 07:40 AM
I stopped wearing my hair down at work when I realized I had a habit of playing with the ends during meetings, regardless of whether it was loose or in a braid. I might consider some down or half down styles come spring, when the weather is less harsh. Right now, I think having it up protects the ends and length from the bitter cold since it is usually still damp when I leave the house in the morning. :D

Curlsgirl
January 30th, 2009, 12:47 PM
I stopped wearing my hair down at work when I realized I had a habit of playing with the ends during meetings, regardless of whether it was loose or in a braid. I might consider some down or half down styles come spring, when the weather is less harsh. Right now, I think having it up protects the ends and length from the bitter cold since it is usually still damp when I leave the house in the morning. :D

Yeah it is hard to not play with a braid tassel. I try to leave my hair whether in braid or halfup behind my shoulders so I am not tempted. I am pretty good about not doing that. Not so much when sitting at my desk though um like right now :D