PDA

View Full Version : Newbie requiring some guidance please?

PeachyKeen
January 28th, 2009, 11:47 AM
I have a huge problem. I love my hair but lately I grow tired of it tangling so badly regardless of what I do.
I have thicker hair thats prone to breakage and I shed constantly but the tangles are my biggest issue. I need to find something that works w/o taking up too much time. Currently I just use a regular shampoo and that is it. If i use conditioner my hair gets oily super fast so I try to avoid it. Can anyone recommend anything for me?

Curlsgirl
January 28th, 2009, 12:05 PM
My hair would never come untangled if I only used shampoo I can tell you that much! Some hairtypes just need some kind of product to give some "slip" to help untangle and thus prevent breakage. If you find the right conditioner and/or oil and use the right amount it shouldn't make your hair need washed faster. Even if it did, it would be better than dealing with what you are and damaging your hair which I am assuming you must be doing if it's that much of a problem. Updos as much as possible, satin/silk pillowcases and coming gently from the ends up with a seamless wide tooth comb are other things that will help. You might start out with a light conditioner and a leave-in of coconut oil or even olive oil if you have that around the house. Just apply a small amount to help get it combed though. You definitely need a good seamless wide tooth comb. I sometimes use a shower comb made by Goody that you can get at any drugstore. Also The Body Shop has good wooden combs for about $5. Just read and experiment and try one or 2 things at a time giving them a chance to work before you discount them. It make take time.

Rohele
January 28th, 2009, 12:09 PM
What Curlsgirl said, plus just conditioning from your ears down (rather than the entire head including the scalp area), can cut down on the greasy effect.

Euphony
January 28th, 2009, 12:11 PM
I mostly agree with Curlsgirl all except not needing conditioner :D That's only because I've realized using hair soap to wash my hair and following it with a slight acidic rinse has helped with it. I use conditioner about every 3rd or 4th washing now.

You can try using coconut oil as well, I have thick hair to nearly my tail bone and I use a smidge of coconut oil about the size of my pinky fingernail. I rub it between my hands and then squeeze it into the ends of my hair. Then I take my comb and comb it through by starting at the bottom of my hair and working my way up to my scalp slowly. That is enough coconut oil to help get the knots out, it's enough to moisturize my hair but not make me have a greasy hair.

Periwinkle
January 28th, 2009, 12:18 PM
I agree with conditioning from the ears down. You could also try different conditioners (perhaps cone-free would help? check the articles section for more info).

I also recommend oil (there's a great article on that in there too). It only takes a couple of seconds for me to oil my hair with coconut oil, but once I do, it's silky-smooth and detangles in seconds.

I started CO (conditioner only - once again, articles are your friend! :) ) washing about 2 weeks ago, following a slightly different method to my previous attempt, and the detangling has been so EASY I can't describe it. The first time I did it, I let my hair dry until it was about 50% dry and then combed it. It was so easy that I gave into temptation and combed everything with my cheap plastic rattail comb which I normally only use to tidy my fringey bits (those combs are really bad for your hair, but hey, it's only gonna get cut off and it's not much hair anyway in the fringe). Normally, I couldn't get that comb into my hair before it would just be eaten. That's how easy it made detangling. I know you say you're trying to avoid conditioner, but I concur with the other posters that you should really give it another go - if you like it, maybe you could see if CO works for you!

Sissy
January 28th, 2009, 12:54 PM
I have a huge problem. I love my hair but lately I grow tired of it tangling so badly regardless of what I do.
I have thicker hair thats prone to breakage and I shed constantly but the tangles are my biggest issue. I need to find something that works w/o taking up too much time. Currently I just use a regular shampoo and that is it. If i use conditioner my hair gets oily super fast so I try to avoid it. Can anyone recommend anything for me?

If I only used shampoo my hair would always be tangled. I HAVE to have my conditioner. However, I see you said your hair gets oily from conditioner. Perhaps it's the type of conditioner you are using. Have you looked into cone free or organic products? Or, how about the CO (conditioner only) washing method where you can use very light conditioners like suave clarifying or vo5? Another idea might be to try a shampoo bar and use an apple cider vinegar rinse after shampooing. That will help to close the cuticle, balance the ph, and detangle.

Welcome to LHC and I hope this helps.:o

suicides_eve
January 28th, 2009, 01:01 PM
every one has already posted great advice. they are all right

it sound like your hair is just extremely dried out and needs ALOT of moisture if its breaking like you say.

doing those extra steps isn't as time consuming as you would think and it helps you hair look alot better too

allowing your hair to adjust to the greasiness also helps out as well only takes about 2 weeks and the grease factor goes way down
when i started water only it was bad for about that long then it calmed it's self.

but please please stay way from only using shampoo, it made me cringe reading that

Katze
January 29th, 2009, 09:14 AM
comb with conditioner in, using a wide toothed comb in the shower. My BF has fine, thick, curly hair and gets the most terrible dread-like tangles. This is the only way we can get them out!