PDA

View Full Version : Do your co workers comment?

lora410
March 28th, 2008, 12:04 PM
I was wondering how many of us have co workers who are comment at our up do's etc, nicely or not so nicely? Around here everyone is tight lipped which is surprising since this is a small company, and they love to gossip. Eventhough I get the STARE when I walk by. I am wearing a sock bun for the first time with hair sticks X in the back and not a peep. I never hear anything about my hair toys either. I find it funny because if i saw something like that id be like that is sooo neat, how do you do that?; even before LHC. I think i've seen one person that wore hairsticks in person my entire life, and by then I was wearing them :lol:

Curlsgirl
March 28th, 2008, 12:14 PM
NO ONE wears hairsticks here either at least that I've ever seen at work or anywhere but no one comments on mine either. I do get comments on my flexi-8s at times as far as hair toys go and can't remember if on anything else. As for my hair I get comments more when I wear it down than up and they are always nice comments. I rarely get comments on my updos. Course I don't do any fancy ones really, just buns and messy french twists and braids. Sometimes they comment on my french braids. I have worked here a long time though so maybe it's old to them :shrug:

Guenever
I've received a couple of comments from co-workers..
The first was a compliment on my black border max =) she really liked it!

And the other day I was redoing a bun during my break when one of my closest co-workers walked by.. Later that day she suddenly asked:
"You have like.. crazy-long hair, right?"
"Well.. I don't know.."
"Yeah, sure you do.. I mean, it's down to your butt!! I just didn't know.. you always wear that bun-thingie.. why don't you wear it down more?"

Well, the answer to that is simple: I work in a kindergarden.. and the dirty fingers of grabby 2-year-olds are not really what I want pulling/fingering with my hair :lol:

They've never commented on my sticks.. I've never seen another person wearing sticks etc.. but I've seen some of the parents in the kindergarden casually walk around me to get a glimpse of them.. lol.. cracked me up once.. it was so obvious.. and she was one of those very conservative types..

eadwine
I HAVE coworkers, but they rarely see me. When they do they don't comment, but I am pretty sure they notice the hairdo's.

I have worn it down ONCE.. on Christmas, and they were stunned to see the amount of hair that I have :lol:

I mostly deal with clients (home health aide here), who I see on a weekly basis. I have a few who keep on asking me to turn around so they can see what I have done with it now *giggle* I love that.

lora410
March 28th, 2008, 12:25 PM
I HAVE coworkers, but they rarely see me. When they do they don't comment, but I am pretty sure they notice the hairdo's.

I have worn it down ONCE.. on Christmas, and they were stunned to see the amount of hair that I have :lol:

I mostly deal with clients (home health aide here), who I see on a weekly basis. I have a few who keep on asking me to turn around so they can see what I have done with it now *giggle* I love that.

Aww thats really sweet of them!

lora410
March 28th, 2008, 12:26 PM
I've received a couple of comments from co-workers..
The first was a compliment on my black border max =) she really liked it!

And the other day I was redoing a bun during my break when one of my closest co-workers walked by.. Later that day she suddenly asked:
"You have like.. crazy-long hair, right?"
"Well.. I don't know.."
"Yeah, sure you do.. I mean, it's down to your butt!! I just didn't know.. you always wear that bun-thingie.. why don't you wear it down more?"

Well, the answer to that is simple: I work in a kindergarden.. and the dirty fingers of grabby 2-year-olds are not really what I want pulling/fingering with my hair :lol:

They've never commented on my sticks.. I've never seen another person wearing sticks etc.. but I've seen some of the parents in the kindergarden casually walk around me to get a glimpse of them.. lol.. cracked me up once.. it was so obvious.. and she was one of those very conservative types..

I remember whem my DD was first born and my hair was about waist, and how she would grab at it :lol: even at 2 she wanted to touch EVERYTHING; so I can't blame you. Thats to funny about the parents!!

lora410
March 28th, 2008, 12:26 PM
NO ONE wears hairsticks here either at least that I've ever seen at work or anywhere but no one comments on mine either. I do get comments on my flexi-8s at times as far as hair toys go and can't remember if on anything else. As for my hair I get comments more when I wear it down than up and they are always nice comments. I rarely get comments on my updos. Course I don't do any fancy ones really, just buns and messy french twists and braids. Sometimes they comment on my french braids. I have worked here a long time though so maybe it's old to them :shrug:

I love the fact that hair sticks are a unique thing and not many people wear them (minus LHC)

akurah
March 28th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Only once I got a comment--after wearing it up for months, I wore my hair down one day and one of them went something along the lines of "OMGWTFKEWL! Your hair is so long!!"

doodlesmart
March 28th, 2008, 12:29 PM
The closest thing I have to coworkers are my fellow grad students. They love it when I get new hair toys. The guys who sit behind me and next to me say that it gives them something to do when class gets a little boring, they check out my hair sticks and bun for the day. And I have received multiple compliments on different braids and one on my buff.

Silver & Gold
March 28th, 2008, 12:30 PM
I get compliments from some fellow thespians. One man who has played my husband several times on stage knows how much I love hairsticks so every time I see him he asks me to turn around so he can admire my newest toy. I love that about him! I mean, he's a guy and all and still he will indulge me in my girly habits.
When I go out in public I get stared at a lot because people just don't use hairsticks here. At least not often enough for it to be commonplace. At times I've felt that a woman wanted to ask but was too shy. But the first time I ever saw a woman wearing a hairstick I just spoke up and asked her. She was happy to show me how she wore it. I was so impressed that all the hair could be held up with one stick that I half wonder if this is at least part of the reason I'm growing my own hair out.
I found LHC because I was looking for information on hairsticks. This is the way my life goes. One interest always seems to lead to another. It certainly keeps my life from being boring.

Stagecoach
March 28th, 2008, 12:31 PM
When I worked at the hair salon my coworkers would comment on my styles... they loved the Figure 8. But at my new job none of them do. However I have recieved a few compliments from our customers!

lora410
March 28th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Only once I got a comment--after wearing it up for months, I wore my hair down one day and one of them went something along the lines of "OMGWTFKEWL! Your hair is so long!!"

yeah once in a great while I wear mine down as well:lol:

Xandergrammy
March 28th, 2008, 12:34 PM
I have the same experience as you, Lora410. Most people at my work are very used to my hair and there are only one or two women who ever comment on any of my updos. Sometimes someone will comment about my African Butterfly, or dragonfly flexi-8, or my dangly hairstick, but that's very seldom. I'm like you- if I worked with someone who did fun stuff with their hair, I'd be asking all kinds of questions.

I've actually noticed a couple of women wearing their hair in what I would call an updo and I find that very curious. Time will tell if they let their hair grow!!

lora410
March 28th, 2008, 12:36 PM
I get compliments from some fellow thespians. One man who has played my husband several times on stage knows how much I love hairsticks so every time I see him he asks me to turn around so he can admire my newest toy. I love that about him! I mean, he's a guy and all and still he will indulge me in my girly habits.
When I go out in public I get stared at a lot because people just don't use hairsticks here. At least not often enough for it to be commonplace. At times I've felt that a woman wanted to ask but was too shy. But the first time I ever saw a woman wearing a hairstick I just spoke up and asked her. She was happy to show me how she wore it. I was so impressed that all the hair could be held up with one stick that I half wonder if this is at least part of the reason I'm growing my own hair out.
I found LHC because I was looking for information on hairsticks. This is the way my life goes. One interest always seems to lead to another. It certainly keeps my life from being boring.

I forget what I was searching before as well and I ran upon this site. I was facinated right off when I started reading stuff and trying it. I lurked for a week reading before I joined ,and I joined becuase I was simply amazed at all the great results my what i tried from here. I knew this had to be a good crowd to hang out with, and boy was I right.

lora410
March 28th, 2008, 12:39 PM
I have the same experience as you, Lora410. Most people at my work are very used to my hair and there are only one or two women who ever comment on any of my updos. Sometimes someone will comment about my African Butterfly, or dragonfly flexi-8, or my dangly hairstick, but that's very seldom. I'm like you- if I worked with someone who did fun stuff with their hair, I'd be asking all kinds of questions.

I've actually noticed a couple of women wearing their hair in what I would call an updo and I find that very curious. Time will tell if they let their hair grow!!

How cool would that be?!!! I do have a girl here co'ing and using coconut oil. We jibber about hair growing and products but not updo's. When we first started talking her hair was shoulder length and she said it never got past shoulder. That and her hair was like straw from dying!! She still dyes her hair, but her hair is ALOT softer and its almost APL!!!

freznow
March 28th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Mostly, no. If I want someone to notice, I'll pull out the stick that's not doing the holding or say something about it, and then they'll want to see it. I don't know if people 'discreetly' observe my hairstyles... They might.

Lots of people notice when my hair is down, or I'm redoing something after gym. The whole "Wow I didn't know it was so long!" thing.

I have had a teacher stand behind me, and I didn't notice until another teacher came up and she said to the other teacher "Is that an 8?" and I turn around and am like... what? My friend said, afterwards, "I was wondering why she was just standing there..."

anna1850
March 28th, 2008, 12:53 PM
When I was working last summer (I'm now back at University) I would occaisionally get nice comments when I was wearing a particularly fancy updo. My desk was positioned so I had my back to the door so everyone saw the back of my head when they came in. But none of the women there had longer than chinlength hair so I couldn't encourage anyone to copy; although there were 2 men with mid-back length hair but they only ever wore it in ponytails or half-ups.

Islandgrrl
March 28th, 2008, 01:02 PM
I get the occasional comment at the gym. Usually it's when I'm re-doing a bun and people see my hair down. Although I was in spinning class the other day and my hair stick fell out. I couldn't do anything about it for a bit and my hair all unraveled. The woman next to me (with hair bleached to within and inch of its life and super short) said I should just cut "that mess" off and be done with it because it would be so much easier "to control." Hah! First time in I can't remember how long that a hair stick has fallen out - my hair is always (almost, anyway) on its best behavior when I'm working out!

My co-workers at my day job are always interested in what I'm doing with my hair and I get frequent comments about it looking nice. Never anything negative. I work with awesome people.

ladystar
March 28th, 2008, 01:03 PM
I get comments here in front and behind my back. This place is gossip city, I hate it:rolleyes: . If I wear my hair to the left or to the right they always have something negative to say, the only time they say something nice is if I wear it down and blow dried then everybody loves it. I even get a guy from across the service department as I am walking into work he screams I love that girls hair:p . It makes me feel good but that’s only when I blow dry it. As far as hair sticks I wore them once and everyone was asking me if I was a Chinese’s Stupid really :disgust:.

marajade
March 28th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Since taking care of my hair, I get comments on the curl definition and the shine all the time, but because my hair is so thick, I rarely do interesting updos, it is mostly scrunchi-land for me. Occasionally I wear interesting clippies and I get comments about those.

But, I did start rattling off to my older co-worker about hair care stuff like V05 CO and SO and NW, and she made the comment that " well, that's really hard on your hair and not healthy and not 'clean' etc etc etc" and started lecturing me! BTW, this is a woman who washes her hair with Seabreeze and SLS laden products and she doesn't keep her hair longer than chinlength I imagine because it won't grow. Sometimes, I have S&D and my desk, and people get all upset about it. I kindly remind them that it is MY hair, not anyone elses. I think my co-workers think I'm nuts.

Venus
March 28th, 2008, 01:09 PM
I used to wear my hair up almost all the time since I'd started posted here ages ago, but then one day at work, I wore it down and a co-worker asked why I didn't wear it down more often. It seems I've worn it down ever since and I've also noticed that it appears to not be growing either.

Gee, what a coincidence. LOL

Guess it's time to start wearing it up. ;)

Sarahmoon
March 28th, 2008, 01:17 PM
NONE of my co-workerd comment on my hair :cry:.

Well... I guess it's better than getting nasty comments.
Now I think of it, I also never comment on my co-workers' hair.

lora410
March 28th, 2008, 01:25 PM
It is really neat to hear everyones stories esp about the comments from people who literally "kill" their hair with stuff and say our hair is unhealthy :lol:

ladystar
March 28th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Dont worry marajade I S&D at work, they think I am crazy also but who cares there not so perfect themselfs.

chloeishere
March 28th, 2008, 01:37 PM
I don't normally get too many comments.
Once a male customer who was checking out (I believe he had fairly longish hair; it didn't look good though, he was a bit "hillbilly") noticed as I turned around to give him his receipt that I had my hair up in a flexi-8, and sort of exclaimed, "Oh, your hair is long!" (which it really isn't at all). It was strange, I guess he thought I had a pixie cut even though it was fairly obvious that my hair was tied back? I just said that it wasn't very long at all, and told him to have a nice day!

I get a lot of comments on my flexi-8. At least two of my fellow employees (both of whom I'm friendly with and have spent time with outside of work) have said they liked the way it looked, and wanted to know where I got it. I also had a female customer who was looking for a handrail compliment it when I turned around to lead her towards the railings. :p
I don't normally wear hairsticks to work (I move around a lot, and I don't want them to accidentally fall out onto the dirty concrete floor; plus, I tend to have dirty hands at work, so I don't want to need to handle my hair in order to put it back up). I have done it a few times, and got no comments. I guess the flexi-8 appears more "user friendly" then hairsticks, so people are comfortable commenting on it.

So far as the hair itself, I don't get many comments-- it's all about the styling. And those comments are maybe one every few weeks.

My job has some very catty people and has a lot of gossip going around, but I don't think they've ever been reduced to gossiping about how long someone's hair is! I just try to be nice to everyone and stay below the radar.

cuddledumplin
March 28th, 2008, 01:44 PM
I've never gotten comments about my hairstyles at work (because I tend to wear it in a boring bun), but when I see coworkers outside of work with my hair down they always say they had no idea my hair is this long. Some have said my hair is lovely.

angelthadiva
March 28th, 2008, 01:44 PM
I get nice comments a lot. Most of the time they want to know how to do different hair styles or use a hair tool (sticks/forks) etc.

I had a hair malfunction toward the end of 2007 right in the AM...All my hair tumbled out of a Figure 8 bun, I was thankful...The dang thing hurt my head, so I began braiding my hair at my desk w/o a mirror :shocked: much to my coworkers amazement! Then they all began gathering, sipping on thier morning jo to watch the show...My hair...I didn't mind, I thought it was amusing. I answer any questions they might have about hair...

CurlyNinja
March 28th, 2008, 01:45 PM
I get a lot of comments from classmates and friends on my hair.

I get nice comments generally on my more "interesting" updos like "Oh, I wish I could do that, it looks cute!" When my hair is down people also tend to have nice things to say about how it looks.

Sigh...I love my hair. :D

kimki
March 28th, 2008, 01:50 PM
I don't get any comments as my hair is still short. But when I wore it in a sort of french braid a while back one of the older guys walked up and stroked the back of my head saying 'Aww I do my daughters hair and I know they'd love that' :confused::D Is that good or bad?

I saw my doctor today, she is indian and has long long hair and natural colour. I said to her 'Your hair is a pretty colour' She just grunted. :shrug:

lora410
March 28th, 2008, 01:55 PM
I get nice comments a lot. Most of the time they want to know how to do different hair styles or use a hair tool (sticks/forks) etc.

I had a hair malfunction toward the end of 2007 right in the AM...All my hair tumbled out of a Figure 8 bun, I was thankful...The dang thing hurt my head, so I began braiding my hair at my desk w/o a mirror :shocked: much to my coworkers amazement! Then they all began gathering, sipping on thier morning jo to watch the show...My hair...I didn't mind, I thought it was amusing. I answer any questions they might have about hair...

lmao thats funny. it's like they were watching a movie huh? I am so amused on how long hair always awe's people including myself :D

Sarahmoon
March 28th, 2008, 01:56 PM
I think that guy wanted you to explain to him how to do a french braid Kimki ;)

lora410
March 28th, 2008, 01:57 PM
I get a lot of comments from classmates and friends on my hair.

I get nice comments generally on my more "interesting" updos like "Oh, I wish I could do that, it looks cute!" When my hair is down people also tend to have nice things to say about how it looks.

Sigh...I love my hair. :D

yes, I do love my hair to. Our clients comment all the time on how Long it is getting and the mail man when he saw it said it looks nice and said I better start watching my back or something to that. I said what is someone gonna try and cut my hair off? :lol:

lora410
March 28th, 2008, 01:58 PM
I don't get any comments as my hair is still short. But when I wore it in a sort of french braid a while back one of the older guys walked up and stroked the back of my head saying 'Aww I do my daughters hair and I know they'd love that' :confused::D Is that good or bad?

I saw my doctor today, she is indian and has long long hair and natural colour. I said to her 'Your hair is a pretty colour' She just grunted. :shrug:

She's prob heard that a million times and grew up with her hair long so it's not a big deal to her as to us :D

Unofficial_Rose
March 28th, 2008, 01:59 PM
[quote=Islandgrrl;38324]I get the occasional comment at the gym. Usually it's when I'm re-doing a bun and people see my hair down. Although I was in spinning class the other day and my hair stick fell out. I couldn't do anything about it for a bit and my hair all unraveled. The woman next to me (with hair bleached to within and inch of its life and super short) said I should just cut "that mess" off and be done with it because it would be so much easier "to control."

Good grief - I am surprised you didn't pull out her fried locks with your bare hands - that is outrageous :guns:

People at my work have watched in surprise, like so :ponder: when I restick my hair but since they are men with short hair they never say anything.

kimki
March 28th, 2008, 02:00 PM
I think that guy wanted you to explain to him how to do a french braid Kimki ;)

Well I'm glad he was behind me so he couldn't see me pull a face! :D

heidihug
March 28th, 2008, 02:01 PM
I think my co-workers think I'm nuts.
Hee. Yeah, I think mine do, too. I recently started a thread about work and hairstyles, which might be several pages back in history now. Some interesting discussion ensued.

I had stated that no one at work ever compliments or asks me about my hair, but (just to prove me wrong!) today a guy coworker stopped by my cube and asked me what would happen if I pulled my hairstick out - would it all fall down? And I pulled it out and it just stayed there (I have long, but very thin, fine hair, so it stays in place quite nicely for a bit after I take out my hair toys, especially if it's damp when I put it up). He was impressed. Not a compliment, really, but now I see that he noticed my hair, at least!

I never wear my hair down at work, it would be a static-y, piece-y, tangled mess within a few minutes of leaving the house. I have to do very special things with it just to ensure minimal tangles if I decide to wear it down for any length of time at all (oils, leave-ins and hair-spray). So very not worth it for work!

Chromis
March 28th, 2008, 02:30 PM
My co-workers love my hair! I'm not even sure why they love it so much, but I've gotten lots of compliments and occasionally people asking just how long it is. I always wear it in a log roll or a figure eight and do not normally fiddle with it. Every so often it will tug just so" and I'll quickly put it back up again which people find fascinating. In the past year I've worn it down exactly once, after getting caught in a pouring rain after lunch to let it dry, and I've never gotten so many nice things said about it lol! It was quite flattering, but I wouldn't fancy getting it caught on filing cabinets, chairs, etc so up it goes.

It's pretty rare for me to have negative things said about my hair in general, but then I don't think anyone here would dare. I keep a very "proper" appearance in the office and they all know I'm former military. I think they are a bit afraid of me, but I kinda like it that way :whip:

artemis
March 28th, 2008, 02:37 PM
I'm a junior high teacher and I don't get comments from my co-workers, but my students talk about my hair a lot. I only wear it down about once a month, if that, because I have trouble keeping them from touching it :) Once I felt something behind my back and turned around to find one of my students "petting" the tail of my braid :rolleyes: They ask me all the time how I do a certain bun, why I have "chopsticks" in my hair, how much longer I'm going to grow my hair and how I learned how to do all that "cool stuff."

Because my hair is almost always up, my students have a distorted image of how long it actually is. When they draw pictures of me, I usually have hair down to my knees or ankles rather than my hips :D

lora410
March 28th, 2008, 02:42 PM
My co-workers love my hair! I'm not even sure why they love it so much, but I've gotten lots of compliments and occasionally people asking just how long it is. I always wear it in a log roll or a figure eight and do not normally fiddle with it. Every so often it will tug just so" and I'll quickly put it back up again which people find fascinating. In the past year I've worn it down exactly once, after getting caught in a pouring rain after lunch to let it dry, and I've never gotten so many nice things said about it lol! It was quite flattering, but I wouldn't fancy getting it caught on filing cabinets, chairs, etc so up it goes.

It's pretty rare for me to have negative things said about my hair in general, but then I don't think anyone here would dare. I keep a very "proper" appearance in the office and they all know I'm former military. I think they are a bit afraid of me, but I kinda like it that way :whip:

Awesome, and may I just say thank you for serving our miltary *salute*

lora410
March 28th, 2008, 02:43 PM
I'm a junior high teacher and I don't get comments from my co-workers, but my students talk about my hair a lot. I only wear it down about once a month, if that, because I have trouble keeping them from touching it :) Once I felt something behind my back and turned around to find one of my students "petting" the tail of my braid :rolleyes: They ask me all the time how I do a certain bun, why I have "chopsticks" in my hair, how much longer I'm going to grow my hair and how I learned how to do all that "cool stuff."

Because my hair is almost always up, my students have a distorted image of how long it actually is. When they draw pictures of me, I usually have hair down to my knees or ankles rather than my hips :D

That's to cute :lol:

Kallisti
March 28th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Oddly (after I whined on the old boards that I never got any hair comments) I started getting them at work. We're a pretty friendly group, and I work with predominately other women who are interested in hair stuff so now I get comments all the time on my length, or updos or hairtoys. It's fun, every time someone gets a new Ficcare catalogues and we all gather 'round and drool. :lol:

Xandergrammy
March 28th, 2008, 05:36 PM
How cool would that be?!!! I do have a girl here co'ing and using coconut oil. We jibber about hair growing and products but not updo's. When we first started talking her hair was shoulder length and she said it never got past shoulder. That and her hair was like straw from dying!! She still dyes her hair, but her hair is ALOT softer and its almost APL!!!

I'd love to have a hair buddy IRL. There's another woman who is relatively new who has started playing with my hair when it's down. Her hair is a little below shoulder, so there's hope for her. I could see her growing longer. The other two that I mentioned before are both at awkward lengths and my guess is they are going to let their hair grow, or else they would have gotten haircuts already?? We'll see.... I'll keep you posted. :grin:

AmandaPanda
March 28th, 2008, 05:48 PM

Exactly! I work in a drop-off babysitting place at a country club. Most of the children who come in are 2-4. Some babies. I don't want them grabbing my hair! Let's not forget scissors, either! We don't really use any there, but I'm not taking any chances. Oh and there's diaper-changing, food, play-doh, paint, markers etc. No thanks!

I did wear it down once or twice, but it got very tangly from the constant movement. Plus, I was wearing a sweater, so that didn't help my hair much.

A 3 year old said "I like your hair" :o That was really sweet. I got "your hair is so long!" and "I didn't know your hair was so long!" comments from employees.

All I could say was, "yup..." lol

One girl I work with mentioned she had long hair and tried to donate it but they wouldn't accept it because it was chemically processed. I made a point to mention LoL sells/throws out most of the hair they get. She was surprised, naturally.

EdG
March 28th, 2008, 06:22 PM
My immediate co-workers don't comment because we see each other every day. Once a co-worker joked that my office chair was in danger of rolling over my hair... safety violation! :silly:

I sometimes receive comments from people I don't know when I go to other buildings or other sites. They're always extremely positive! :)
Ed

angelthadiva
March 28th, 2008, 07:31 PM
My immediate co-workers don't comment because we see each other every day. Once a co-worker joked that my office chair was in danger of rolling over my hair... safety violation! :silly:

I sometimes receive comments from people I don't know when I go to other buildings or other sites. They're always extremely positive! :)
Ed

Do you wear your hair down at the work place, EdG?

EdG
March 28th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Do you wear your hair down at the work place, EdG?Yes, I do. I have only one hairstyle - loose. Sometimes, I put my hair in my lap to keep it out of the way. :)
Ed

intothemist1999
March 28th, 2008, 07:50 PM
I suspect people are talking especially now that my hair is getting near waist length and is somewhat unruly. I really DO have to get used to wearing it up more. At most I do ponytails which I don't overly like, and some half-ups, which are a better success I think.

There are alot of bombshells on staff. Nowadays the move is away from uniforms (medical) to nice, casual wear, so the fashion instinct gets flaunted alot by those types. I rarely go to the company Xmas parties because I find them so uncomfortable, but I do know that one staffer (whose wife also works there) said his wife won't go any more because of all the gossip and back-biting. And she's a GORGEOUS woman, with no 'tute.

So I'll put two and two together and assume that my less than fashionable wardrobe and crazy hair get some comments I don't know about. Being a musician, they may cut me a BIT of slack, thankfully ;)

prosperina
March 28th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Until recently I wore my hair in some form of a bun with either sticks or a ficcare when I taught class. One day while teaching my hair sticks started to slip, so I pulled them out and plunked them on the table, then went right on teaching without missing a beat. A couple eyes popped, because I know they had never seen my hair, but no one said anything. That group is far too reserved for its own good.

rubyann
March 28th, 2008, 09:06 PM
I don't get too many comments, but there's only the four of use women and the doc. He's 78 and doesn't really comment on appearance much.

One co-worker, who just turned 50 is growing her hair out and hasn't had it highlighted since she's been with us. I'm too totally envious, as her hair is sooooo thick and grows quickly, while mine in fine/thin and is taking forever to grow.

Mind you, they know all about what I'm up to, as I'm not a reserved person at all.;)

ColoradoDreamer
March 28th, 2008, 09:46 PM
I don't get many comments from co-workers. I have had them comment on a pretty clip I'd wear or something of that sort.

My students, on the other hand, notice and comment on everything. They went gaga when I henna'ed the last time. The first - and only time so far - that I did a hairstick up-do with a pencil, they noticed and asked me why I had a pencil in my hair and wanted to know how I'd gotten it in there. And then there was the stinker I mentioned in another thread who informed me that I was having a "bad hair day" today.

Nynaeve
March 28th, 2008, 09:59 PM
I don't have a job right now, full time student-ing.
My mother doesn't get very many comments on her hair length or on her up dos at her job; however, she does get comments on her hair color, which is a kaleidescope of gray and silver and light brown.

Mitzy
March 28th, 2008, 10:13 PM
I work with mostly women, several of whom have longer hair than I do. Mine is only just above bsl. My boss has curly, fine hair that is almost to her waist. She wears it up mostly or half up. Our female marketer has waist length curly hair and bangs, she mostly wears hers down and half up, although since coming back from vacation, she has had it up every day, but that might be due to how hot it has been. Two other girls have long hair, one almost waist length and one to the top of her hips. The other girls have; a pixie, a bob with bangs (chin length), shoulder brushing and the two guys have short hair. Our CEO has hair to the middle of her back and mostly wears it up in buns or a chignon (she has to dress up a lot, so is in suits mostly.)
We all have shared hair toys, done a group African Butterfly order and swaps of fakkares and other toys, I gave my boss a bunch of things that wouldn't work in my thick hair anymore. Just recently I had some side swept fringe cut and the whole office had to help me pick a picture to take to the stylist. The next morning, about 6 people waited at my desk (I work alone downstairs as receptionist, they all work upstairs) to check it out.
Excellent work environment, the guys are even interested!!

nowxisxforever
March 28th, 2008, 11:59 PM
My co-workers don't comment on my up-dos but they don't mind them. Sometimes they'll comment on the hairtoy I have in my hair, but usually they just tell me how they love it when I wear it down or in braids.

I've been wearing it down daily this week since I hennad my hair last Sunday because I was a klutz and dyed various spots on my arms and back of my neck fake-bake orange. I've had people come up to me multiple times and say "You look really cute today, I especially love that you're wearing your hair is down." just today!

Masara
March 29th, 2008, 01:56 AM

I realised my pupils had the same idea of me recently. My hair is barely APL and they all think it is at least waist length.

I don't get many comments about my hair at work unless I do some sort of braid. Most people here believe that French and Dutch braids are really difficult to do, so they are always fasinated by them. Tucked French braids get even more comments. My pupils are more likely to comment on my hair than other teachers.

I thought my co-workers didn't really notice my hair that much apart from the braids, but a few weeks back one of them told me how they had been discussing my hair at the cantine. (in a positive way too)

Chamomile betty
March 29th, 2008, 07:02 AM
I always wear an updo to work - bun or a twist with the hair over the top.
Someone will say something if I go from wearing one style to the other because they are different looks on me. I did have a lady tell me my hair was beautiful last week though and that made me feel good and confident.
I know I don't have the new instyle cuts like the bobs but I wear my hair for me.

I don't see me wearing it down anytime soon either while it grown longer - to waist. Also, I am in a school and I just don't like it down because I have kids comming up to me all the time. It's just best it's up and out of the way.

I had been wanting to try a braid for the Spring but have't quite felt able to wear one their yet. I don't know why though.

Wanita
March 29th, 2008, 07:10 AM
My co-workers don't comment on my up-dos but they don't mind them. Sometimes they'll comment on the hairtoy I have in my hair, but usually they just tell me how they love it when I wear it down or in braids.

I've been wearing it down daily this week since I hennad my hair last Sunday because I was a klutz and dyed various spots on my arms and back of my neck fake-bake orange. I've had people come up to me multiple times and say "You look really cute today, I especially love that you're wearing your hair is down." just today!

Similarly, most hair-related comments at my workplace are compliment on my hair toys. On the rare occasion I wear my hair down, there will usually be a comment or two about how long. My favorite comment was from the office cleaning lady on 2/29 (we got to wear jeans that day because it only happens once every 4 years) :rolleyes:. I happened to be wearing my hair down with a headband. She looked at me and said, "You look like a teenager today!" :D

Carolyn
March 29th, 2008, 07:42 AM
I don't think I've ever had a workplace compliment. I've never had a comment at school. When I worked at the quilt shop no one ever made a comment. My hair was always up there and it always has been at school. My jobs before that were in an office with one co-worker. No comment from her but she did take a back of the head shot once for me without asking questions. I never had a comment at WM. I had 2 or 3 conversations with a long haired co-worker. I just don't get to talk about hair much :(

Elfling
March 29th, 2008, 07:58 AM
Hmm..now that I think about it, I've never had coworkers say much about my hair. Even on the days I show up with it down because it's still wet :D if I bun it before it's dry, it's still sopping in the middle at the end of the day and that drives me nuts; all the humidity in Florida just doesn't contribute to good drying bunned.

angelthadiva
March 29th, 2008, 10:27 AM
I remember once when I was experimenting and tweaking w/the whole plopping and plunking thing...I decided to not comb my hair out AT ALL, and only detangle minimally w/fingers only...That left my hair super wurly/curly for the day, which I left 1/2 down...One super cutie (male) at work, came by my desk and was like, "Wow, your hair looks amazing like that..." I said thanks, but thought to myself...I didn't even bush it! :shocked:

Isilya
March 29th, 2008, 10:49 AM
I don't have co-workers, only fellow students, but they never say something about my hair :(. But then again, they've never said anything nice or negative about anything else. Not the most complement-giving group I'm in, now that I think about it. Oh well, my grandmother and my mother like it when I make buns and braids.

Sam-I-Am
March 29th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Yes, I do have conversations with my co-workers! My boss actually asked me a couple weeks ago to keep my hair up at the office because she's afraid of it getting caught in something. It's weird; the only time I would wear it down was on Wednesday morning anyway, because that's one of my bi-weekly wash days. Usually by noon it was back up in a bun. Oh well, I guess.

I have one (coworker who gets on my nerves anyway) who has asked me twice already about donating my hair. I've only worked for the company for six months. The first time she was treated to a rant about how I've donated three times to LoL, thank you, and will not be doing so again. Then she told me about some other organization that accepts hair. Just in case, you know, I did ever want to donate it. I was polite to her, but seriously: I like my hair. That's why it's long. Duh?

Since I make some of my own hair toys I have had comments on them, especially on the three-prong wooden fork I made.

Neon Gloss
March 29th, 2008, 03:48 PM
The place I work at is like a high school. All of my co-workers have cliques, so they tend to keep to their groups. Also, we're all required to wear our hair up, and if we're caught with our hair down for a moment, then the managers kill us. Nobody has worn their hair in anything aside from ponytails (VERY common), messy buns, or french braids.. I can't wait until my hair gets longer so that I can do some nice updos and hopefully recieve some compliments. There's quite a few girls there who have hair longer than me, anyway.

nowxisxforever
March 29th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Similarly, most hair-related comments at my workplace are compliment on my hair toys. On the rare occasion I wear my hair down, there will usually be a comment or two about how long. My favorite comment was from the office cleaning lady on 2/29 (we got to wear jeans that day because it only happens once every 4 years) :rolleyes:. I happened to be wearing my hair down with a headband. She looked at me and said, "You look like a teenager today!" :D

Haha! Nice.
I work in a call center, even within our company (global outsourcer) we have a really lax dress code. The only things that aren't allowed are dressing scantily (shirt lower than APL, short short skirts without upper thighs being covered) and flip flops.
So, I can do with my hair/clothing whatever I please. :)

n3m3sis42
March 29th, 2008, 05:02 PM
I have a "Majestic Hair Flower" hair toy that generally elicits co-worker comments when I wear it. I don't know how to do any really cool updos so it's always pretty much a cinnabun, a regular braid, or a ponytail if I put it up. The comments about my hair toy are always positive ones. I work in a smallish, casual office, so people don't look at me oddly.

I've had people in my office comment, on occasion, on how long my hair is getting (when I first started working there, it was chin length and wouldn't even all stay in a ponytail). I also have a male co-worker who stopped me in the hall just the other day to ask me how I decided when to wear my hair up and when to wear it down. I'm not sure where that came from, but it seemed like innocent curiosity. :)

eresh
March 29th, 2008, 05:34 PM
The new trainees are usually surprised at the length when I redo a bun.
There's 1 regular co-worker who always finds it necessary that I really need to cut half off at least because long hair isn't trendy and it is not normal to have hair this long :-s

embee
March 29th, 2008, 05:56 PM
The business owner's wife commented on my hair one time. I had it in a crown braid (wrapped braid) and she asked how long it was. When I told her I could just sit on the ends, she seemed impressed and said my hair was pretty. That's all from that job.

The other job is much more friendly, and people have commented on my hair length and my hair toys and my updo styles. Always positive. Nice folks. :) I'm lucky to work there!

sissadawn
February 13th, 2009, 11:03 AM
I never wear mine down at work, even in a pony tail it tends to get dragged through paint or end up with clay in it (I work for an artist). I wear it down to school sometimes, though not much recently, and haven't really gotten any comments from students though my art teacher did complement my length :).

melrose1985
February 13th, 2009, 11:14 AM
My hair isnt long enough yet for up do's. But when i first started here i had every color of the rainbow for hair color. Which my boss and her mrother always taked about. I work at a family owned place so it is VERY small. But the last little bit they have talked about or noticed i should say is that i havent done anything to my hair. Which when they bring up that i hadnt done anything (dying and what not) makes me want !

My boss loves on the other hand commenting on things when i dont ask her. One day she out right told me she didnt like my purfume and it smelled bad. And anything day she felt like she needed to let me know what she didnt like the sleeves on my sweater. Gee, thanks!

rchorr
February 13th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Actually, they do comment about my hair. I have wavy/curly hair, and a lot of the comments depend on the humidity, LOL! They like to talk about my "built in barometer." ;^)

RCHORR'

goodenough
February 13th, 2009, 12:09 PM
The hairtoy you should own if you want compliments is the flexi-8. It's funny, because it's not my favorite.

When I redo my bun, everyone comments nicely on my hair. No one has ever said I should cut it. I get a lot of comments when it can be seen (braid or pony) but not ever on what bun I/m wearing. I don't think they can tell the difference. I almost always wear it in a bun, and I like how it looks so professional for work. I think I'm in a town that loves long hair, because there are quite a few ladies and men with long hair. I don't feel like I am looked at as a freak.

Samikha
February 13th, 2009, 12:16 PM
I have one co-worker who will comment on my hair :) She became a real-life friend the moment she started working here, though, so I don't know if that counts. I only work there one day a week.

Anyway, we talk about hair-related things, and discuss what particular shade she should choose for her hair. She has a few silvers coming in, and while I love them, she can't stand them and colours it regularly. I try braiding her hair from time to time, but since her hair - unlike mine - is that super-slippery fine type, it's difficult.

When I wore a ponytail to work, she said: "What? Every day you're wearing some new imaginative hairstyle, and today it's a ponytail?" Best compliment I ever got!

My fellow students will inform me if they see any hairsticks sold about town (like any good minion!), and sometimes comment if I'm wearing something new and pretty. I have never had strangers comment negatively on my hair, but then it's not outside the socially acceptable length either.

Alun
February 13th, 2009, 02:51 PM
My co-workers here never say anything. A couple of them are women with long hair, and sometimes I comment on theirs. One of them used to be my secretary, but she now works for someone different. I commented one day when she wore pigtails (twin braids) and she said something in reply about my hair being long enough to braid, but that's about it. I do braid it sometimes, but I wear it loose at work.

vamq
February 13th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Well, at my school, I haven't had any comments yet, but when I visited my old school last time, a girl I didn't know said to me that she was growing her hair too, so it would be just like mine...it was a bit strange, but nice..

At work, my co-workers compliment me on some updo's, but when I use hairstics they ask me if I am Chinese..and if I wear a sock bun they call me miss evil Librarian..yes..they're a bit wacky..but it's fun. Among the customers, I even have an updo-fan, haha:)

Elainehali
February 13th, 2009, 05:08 PM
My co workers are amazed by my hair. They are always complementing how much they like the color and the length. Everyone I work with is Mexican, and I think they just like it cause it's different.

Mostly they want to hear about henna and how it works. The girls want to know how to put it up. Everyone wants to play with the clips/swords.

I pretty much love my co workers. :D

harpyangel
February 13th, 2009, 06:05 PM
I've had a couple of interesting experiences with my hair at work. I work in a czech bar so everyone I work with has english as their 2nd language. Anyway I wore my hair in 2 french plaits one night, and my boss took hold of them and said 'oh now I can ride you like a pony on blackpool beach' ?!?! I was like...that's SO inappropriate! Was kind of funny though :)

And one of the more charming men I work with kept saying how beautiful my hair looked when I made a braided headband :) That always helps make my day.

Harpyangel xxx

Sissy
February 13th, 2009, 07:55 PM
I've had co workers comment that my hair is long and make jokes like it used to be short when she started working here she's been working here so long (even though my hair was also long when I started working there). I don't wear updos really so I never had a comment about that.

RavennaNight
February 13th, 2009, 10:51 PM
I get hairtoy comments from my coworkers all the time. Hairsticks are a rare thing 'round these parts. So when I wear them I get comments, mostly positive. They notice new updos and changes in appearance. If I don't wear makeup, they notice. If I wear a sock bun, they notice. Sticks? Oh my gosh they stare, but are positive about them. I tries a new hairdo, adding lift in the front of my ponytail with an added clip before tying in a ponytail, and they noticed that too. Actually I am pretty happy about the compliment. It was silly, but cute. My co-worker goes "Ooh I love big hair! Very cute! Awww! You should be on "Rock of Love!":rollin: I laughed because we both watched that show every week and joked about what we always saw.

LittleOrca
February 14th, 2009, 01:15 AM
I never get comments while at work. I work as a substitute classroom assistant for children who are mentally challenged or have social/emotional/behavioral issues and have my hair up just incase the students want to pull at it or, goodness forbid, come after me with scissors, and in some of the places I have worked, that is a big possibility.

I don't think I get compliments because I usually don't see the same people over and over so they don't get to know me. I'm just there to do my work and that is that. Kind of is a downer in the workplace, but oh well.

The only time I do get compliments are from random strangers when I go out places. This is usually only when I leave my hair down.

Denebi
February 14th, 2009, 01:48 AM
Hm, I remember one event when I was at lunch with co-workers and they made fun of my hair sticks. They asked if I'm going to use them to eat my meal with.... Hah. Hah.
Most of the time no one says a word about my hair styles. But that's OK. Better than being laughed at ;)

vampodrama
February 14th, 2009, 02:29 AM
my co-workers sometimes comment on how long my hair's gotten - I've worked in this company for 6 years so they know me mainly as a short-haired person (which I've been my entire life).

and yes, hairsticks get comments too... or questions rather - "how exactly does it stay in your hair?" etc XD

and french braiding techniques get lots of ooohing over :D

Psalm186
February 14th, 2009, 03:23 PM
How do you respond when people say "Your hair is so long"? I mean, it's more of a statement of fact, than a compliment. Do you a) sweetly thank them for the implied praise, or b) politely agree with their astute observation?

I normally hear it when someone hasn't seen my hair down in a while. Frankly, if my hair is down, I'm usually fishing for compliments, however, I am almost always met with the aforementioned affirmation my follicular feat of length. Yes, I know my hair is past my shoulders. Toss in a few modifiers, please!

Sorry... it's been a while since I've heard anything but "Your hair is so long!". Well, actually that's not true... while visiting with my short-haired female relatives, all I heard was "your hair is too long!". I guess I should be happy with the former...

To be fair, I can't remember the last time I complimented a friend on her hair. I've thought many nice things, but I don't recall actually saying those nice things.

AmyJorgensen
February 14th, 2009, 04:27 PM
I always wear my hair down, but I recently discovered hairsticks...so I get a lot of positive comments when i wear it up at work. I need to figure out some more hairstick styles.

darkwaves
February 14th, 2009, 05:27 PM
I don't think I've ever had a workplace compliment.
>
I just don't get to talk about hair much :( Ditto. There is a lot of hair conversation among women in my office--when one gets a cut, or another changes the colour.

I sometimes wonder if mine is too predictable? (It's usually up, and people who don't know much about long hair have no sense of how long it is.)

Or, if it's just too different? I don't think they have any interest in updos, and when it's loose, it's clearly very different than theirs. (Longer, thicker, wavier -- and slowly turning silver...)

From my experience, office hair chat is a way of claiming common ground. And when there appears to be no common hair-ground, there's no chat.

misstwist
February 14th, 2009, 06:19 PM
How do you respond when people say "Your hair is so long"? I mean, it's more of a statement of fact, than a compliment. Do you a) sweetly thank them for the implied praise, or b) politely agree with their astute observation?

"Why yes it is. Thanks so much for noticing!"

dorothea-brooke
February 14th, 2009, 06:31 PM

I have this exact same question! I feel so awkward when people say this.... I usually wait to see if they'll say they like it, at which point I can say "Thank you." But otherwise.... :shrug: I usually just make a joke like, "Yeah, that's what happens when you don't cut it!" or something like that.

Come to think of it, I used to have the exact same problem with the other not-quite-a-compliment thing I hear -- much more often than my hair actually -- "Your eyes are so blue!" Pause. Pause. Um ... thanks? But I've been hearing that my whole life, and so have worked out a stock answer: "Yep, my whole family has 'em." :lol:

Maybe when my hair has been long for a number of years, I'll have a better stock answer for that, too. :)

marshwoman
February 14th, 2009, 07:12 PM
I seem to be alone in my hairtoys - and hair color (henna) - in the whole downtown location where I work.

I LOVE sticks and unique combs and only wear the more conservative ones at work - along with ficcares. I almost always wear my hair up in neat buns, french twists and braids these ways.

A couple men have commented on my hairsticks, but almost in a "well aren't you weird" kind of way; when my hair is down I've gotten some nicer comments, but overall, everyone seems to ignore it. I have the strong feeling they all don't like my hair color or my hair styles, but I don't really like theirs either, and it took me nearly 40 years to get to experience the joys of long healthy hair and fun of hairtoys so I really don't care. It kind of makes me sad I can't share though. But, that is is what this community is for!

curls2grow
February 14th, 2009, 07:34 PM
I don't care what my peers or direct-reports think of my hair, whether they comment or not. However, my friends at work just talk about the fact they will dye their hair until the day they die, and that after a certain age a woman should not have long hair. Sometimes I feel like that's a double elbow-jab to me, since I am growing my hair longer and choosing to show my gray. They have pretty hair and it looks healthy, so their choice is working for them. However, I sort of feel that their comments are sometimes a bit insensitive to my feelings about the choices I am making regarding my hair. So I chalk it up to "to each her own". Is it any wonder that I come here for hair fun, advice and reality checks?

chloeishere
February 14th, 2009, 09:51 PM
I've gotten a few comments-- I never wear it down there (safety glasses are very dangerous for my hair), but I wear it down when I come in, and put it up in the office before I go out into the lab.
One of my male friends there made a comment several months ago about how he always thinks my hair is going to explode when I pull the "grenade pin" out of my bun. (I have to redo my updos almost every day). A couple days ago while I was working on the computer, and a bunch of people were standing around chatting in our office, he said that I had a whole lot of grenade pins! I was wearing a new one that day. I actually normally only wear about 5 different ones at work (the ones in my purse), but I had switched up my purse selection that week. I told him that it wasn't really *that* many (he hasn't seen my hairtoy drawer :o ).

I've also had some "weapon" comments, oddly on the same day. It was a quattro flex stick with a lapis topper. I've worn it many times, I'm not sure why that particular day got several comments, maybe it was sticking out farther than normal? I took it down to show one of them, and he said, "Oh! It's holding up your hair!" Which I thought was sort of funny. Do people think I stick random sticks in my hair for decorative purposes? Now that would be strange!

Also, one time when we were eating lunch with more people than normal, I decided to redo my flexi-8 bun, and the two other people (both women) were facinated by how it worked. They both really liked the way it looked apparently, but had never asked. :p

Recently, someone expressed interest in a bun, but when I showed her how it was done, she just said her hair wasn't long enough for that.

It's not long yet, there are several people in the office with hair as long as mine, so I don't get (or expect) comments about the length.

Psalm186
February 15th, 2009, 03:15 PM
However, my friends at work just talk about the fact they will dye their hair until the day they die, and that after a certain age a woman should not have long hair. Sometimes I feel like that's a double elbow-jab to me, since I am growing my hair longer and choosing to show my gray.
People often use criticism as a way to validate their own choices/preferences/decisions. Thinking the topic to be objective, rather than subjective, they skim over the fact that they might be insulting someone else.

Even though you might not have said anything about long vs short hair, they probably feel compelled to respond to you. Long, unprocessed hair, is a rather bold statement, and those in "opposition" are forced to react to you. It's too bad they have forgotten that their notions of proper hair care are simply opinions, which should be prefaced with "I think/feel/like", if mentioned at all.

Bullies :mad:

As for the comments about age & length... isn't Cindy Crawford turning 43 in a few days? I'm pretty sure she's "pulling off" long (BSL) hair. She might not be completely natural, but very few people would suggest she chop off her signature locks simply because she was born before Slap Bracelets, Popples and Nintendo.

Everytime I consider chopping my hair off, I google "Hair Extensions" and boggle at the prices people are willing to pay for "unfashionably" long hair. I'll stick with the real thing... extensions are a PITA, and I'm cheap.

Olivia23
February 15th, 2009, 08:01 PM
I work in a setting where we have to keep our hair up, but for a while, I was on light duty, so I was able to wear it down. I got a lot of compliments then. One guy keep talking about my "long, luscious hair" LOL. He is always complimenting the girls with long hair. I think he has a long hair obsession.

Also there is another girl at my work with very long thick hair, and she seems to get jealous when mine or someone else hair is complimented on because she will start talking about her hair. One time I was telling another girl about my hair care routine, and I was telling her how I had to buy a large, wide comb to comb my tangles out when it's wet ( I have pretty thick hair, but I didn't mention that). The girl I was talking to (who has long hair also) said she never uses a comb, only a brush. That's when the other girl came up and said that "well you must have really thin hair then because I only use a comb because my hair is so thick". I thought that was rude to assume that this girl had thin hair, but she is always saying stuff like that to me. I have told her about hair sticks, and how I wish I could wear them at work (I work 12 hour shifts, and to much moving around so cannot wear them), she said she never bought into the whole hair stick thing, and anyway, hair sticks could never hold her hair up because it was sooo thick! I told her that the website I visit, there are plenty of women with hair longer and thicker than hers, and they wear hair sticks, but she won't believe it. I wear hair forks at work to hold up my bun, and she asked what that was and how I did it. When I took it down and showed her, she said she wished she could wear one, but she couldn't because her hair is to long and thick. I just laugh at her now because she just won't listen. I bet my hair is about as thick as her, and these hair forks are awesome!

Olivia23
February 15th, 2009, 08:11 PM
I work in a setting where we have to keep our hair up, but for a while, I was on light duty, so I was able to wear it down. I got a lot of compliments then. One guy keep talking about my "long, luscious hair" LOL. He is always complimenting the girls with long hair. I think he has a long hair obsession.

Also there is another girl at my work with very long thick hair, and she seems to get jealous when mine or someone else hair is complimented on because she will start talking about her hair. One time I was telling another girl about my hair care routine, and I was telling her how I had to buy a large, wide comb to comb my tangles out when it's wet ( I have pretty thick hair, but I didn't mention that). The girl I was talking to (who has long hair also) said she never uses a comb, only a brush. That's when the other girl came up and said that "well you must have really thin hair then because I only use a comb because my hair is so thick". I thought that was rude to assume that this girl had thin hair, but she is always saying stuff like that to me. I have told her about hair sticks, and how I wish I could wear them at work (I work 12 hour shifts, and to much moving around so cannot wear them), she said she never bought into the whole hair stick thing, and anyway, hair sticks could never hold her hair up because it was sooo thick! I told her that the website I visit, there are plenty of women with hair longer and thicker than hers, and they wear hair sticks, but she won't believe it. I wear hair forks at work to hold up my bun, and she asked what that was and how I did it. When I took it down and showed her, she said she wished she could wear one, but she couldn't because her hair is to long and thick. I just laugh at her now because she just won't listen. I bet my hair is about as thick as her, and these hair forks are awesome!

RavennaNight
February 15th, 2009, 11:23 PM
I normally hear it when someone hasn't seen my hair down in a while. Frankly, if my hair is down, I'm usually fishing for compliments, however, I am almost always met with the aforementioned affirmation my follicular feat of length. Yes, I know my hair is past my shoulders. Toss in a few modifiers, please!

:rollin: Your terminoligy is hillarious. I love it.

Debra83
February 16th, 2009, 01:04 AM
When I kept dying my hair different colours, customers would give unsolicited opinions (you should stay blond/you should stay brown/you should go back to blond)...but now I've been brunette/red for since I henna'd last October, I haven't had those comments anymore. But, my coworkers (I work with 30 women) have definitely started commenting on my hair lately since I discovered the mixed chicks technique for air drying - SOOO many of them compliment me on the hairstyle (mostly wear it down) now, I must be averaging 1 a day for the last month and a half (they also throw in the occasional colour compliment too). I've been here for 6 years and would just get the odd compliment on color or cut before from coworkers. The pendulum keeps swinging I guess.....

KnightsLady
February 16th, 2009, 03:43 AM
No. Never. They didn't even notice when I walked in with freshly washed hair piled uncombed on the top of my head (had just walked out of the hairdressers when the girl tried to comb my hair with a comb that still had the last persons hair in it). If they didn't notice that, they certainly wouldn't take much notice of my day to day styles.

Calanthe
February 16th, 2009, 04:25 AM
No, rarely. The woman who sits behind me is the only one. She always says, she wants to sit behind me, so she can see what I did with my hair that day.

Su
February 16th, 2009, 04:55 AM
I always used to wear my hair down.
When I started wearing it braided, or in my first buns, I really expected anybody to comment on it.
But nothing!
after about two weeks I asked one of the girls, to be honest and to tell me if I looked horrible.:(

So she told me she likeded it and it fits me...
I really hope she was honest;)

And another asked if I really manage the bun to stay up with only one hairstick...

These were the only comments I ever got...

ElenTikvah
March 7th, 2009, 10:16 PM
When I first started wearing my hair up in anything beside a ponytail, I got a lot of comments about my "chopsticks."

At my current job, I have gotten a lot of comments regarding my hair length. I usually wear it in a logroll, occasionally I rearrange it, and others say things like, wow, didn't know your hair was so long!

The funniest one was when one of my partners, seeing my hair down for the first time, asked if it was extensions! :D

I think most people are really surprised at my hair length, mostly because I wear it up almost exclusively, and because as a fine-hair and only average thickness, my hair is quite compact in updos. Despite having TBL hair (granted with taper and fairy ends) I don't have buns that eat my head.

I've recently started wearing my hair in different styles of updos, but no one at work has really noticed...well, someone told me the other day that I needed to trim my hair so that it would grow...didn't mention to them that I haven't trimmed in years. :P

IndigoInk
March 7th, 2009, 10:42 PM
I substitute at an elementary school and for some reason I have been in the fifth grade a lot. Most of the kids know me from last year too. The kids comment all the time. When I sub for lower grades the little ones always say "Your hair is beeeee-eautiful!" :D There's two girls in fifth that have super long hair and they like to compare lengths with me LOL. I'm excited to get some great hair toys to show off, it's fun to impress people so easy, even if they're 11 years old!

hairymonster
March 8th, 2009, 03:48 AM
Pretty often - people are usually fascinated by how an updo can be held with only one stick, especially over five years ago, when hairsticks were really uncommon.

At my previous workplace, the older ladies tell me my hair is too long and old-fashioned. One went as far as to tell me my hair made me look lifeless as it is too long. My direct superior was the only one who noticed I had many different hairsticks. The younger girls on the other hand usually complimented my hair and told me I look much nicer with my hair down.

At my current workplace, the girls wish they had hair like mine and beg me to never cut my hair short. It is a very nice change from the previous workplace. Because I've grown lazy with my hairsticks, I have been using only three simple sticks to work, so I don't get many comments on my accessories, but I do get many comments on how I look better with my hair down, and that when I wear a braid, I look like "an innocent girl from China" (No offence to actual innocent girls from China, ok? It's all the old movies many of us grew up watching)

Once, a co-worker I didn't know noticed my double-looped bun when we were in a lift and asked me how I did my hair. Too bad there wasn't enough time to show her, and we went our separate ways.

Sometimes the updo comments can lead to annoying situations as well. In a separate incident a co-worker asked me to show her how I did my double-looped bun, which she liked very much, so I demonstrated. A second co-worker who saw it protested that it was too complicated and that co-worker A didn't need to tie her hair like that, as she knew a simpler way to bun the hair with a hairstick - which was the normal cinnamon bun. I said if she wanted the pretzel effect, that's the way it needs to be tied. I didn't elaborate that there are so many ways to tie a bun with hairsticks she'd never begun to imagine. Why bother to teach something to someone who thinks she already knows everything?

Finoriel
March 8th, 2009, 05:53 AM
:wink: Which coworkers?

Some of the customers comment positively about my hair/updo or ask questions about the length. There are some really nice comments and fun conversations about buns or braiding can follow. Especially cool are the conversations with old ladies, who tend to be nostalgic about their long haired times 50 or 60 years ago... quite surprising how many of them had hair beyond classic length once.
Occasionally I get odd or curious stares. Really negative things are very rare.

BellaB
March 8th, 2009, 10:53 PM
I get MANY comments on my fringe! People absolutely love it, which h as helped me warm up to the style as I didn't like it at first. I have also heard "omg you have goddess hair!" but this was from a girl who bleaches her hair one week, then goes black the next, then bleaches it the week after :rolleyes: Oh well I'll take the compliments I can get :)

Hypnotica
March 9th, 2009, 01:15 AM
Nope - never.

But I know that my coworkers do notice, but mainly when my hair is down.

Missie
March 9th, 2009, 01:40 AM
chuckle ! the silence from my co-workers is deafening

gdimoonbeam
March 9th, 2009, 02:04 AM
One of my male co workers would comment on how I never blow-dry my hair and ask how I can stand it, now he stopped blow-drying his, lol. His hair is just about APL.

Katla
March 9th, 2009, 01:05 PM
I've gotten a few comments on the length of my hair, but not a lot - I never wear it loose outside of home (closest thing I get to showing my length is a braid) and long hair is pretty common over here :) I do get the occasional compliments on hairtoys. It's next to impossible to find decent hairsticks over here that I've noticed, and I've never seen another person wear a Flexi-8 (although I might soon, as I gave away my extra-small one to a friend :D ). People have long hair, but they rarely do much with it, so yeah, when I get comments, it tends to be on updos or hairtoys. Never had any negative comments, though.

twilight
March 9th, 2009, 01:20 PM
my office-mate is kind enough to remind me that my "hair is getting so long" every other week or so. it's great! she also seems highly impressed with some of the updos i whip it into halfway through the day... but that's only b/c she's hopeless with hairtoys and as she says, 'cursed with a fine, fluffy mess of poodle hair.'

most other people don't really comment, though i had a few notice that i no longer have two-toned hair, which was nice.

i never thought hairsticks were uncommon or even all that interesting (except the pretty ones)... my bff and i have been using them--or pencils--since i was 13 or so, so i kind of figured nobody noticed. ??

Bubbleguppy
March 9th, 2009, 01:21 PM
A lot of my co workers comment, especially one of my friends who's the salon manager (I work at JC Penney). Most of what I get now is "your hair is getting so long!" and lots of people comment that they love whatever do i have that day.

I also have a co worker who loves my hair down, and if i have a ponytail in when she's around she always yanks my ponytail holder out and insists that I keep it down. I consistently tell her not to do this, but she seems not to get it :P I wear my hair up at work cause it gets staticy from the clothes, and I run around so much and get hot.

Eireann
March 9th, 2009, 01:45 PM
The other day I had put my hair up with a knitting needle, because I didn't have anything else handy to use. My coworker said "that thing in your hair is so cute!" I thought "mmm. . .I just paid $28 for a pair of hairsticks, and my $3 knitting needle is the one that gets the compliments!" Still, I'll take it!

ratgirldjh
March 9th, 2009, 02:19 PM
oh gee...
we own our own company and the only people i see our our tenants, my brother, dbf, and our accountant.
all of them (with the exception of our tenants who say nothing) think i am insane anyway because i have my rat in the office with me everyday.... so they just sort of look at me sideways when i have anything not so 'normal' in my hair...

my brother is the exception - he is only 28 and balding - he is open to any ideas i may have for hair - and he notices if i have done something new to my hair - like updos hair-sticks, etc. or if it is very shiny...

my bf just wishes i would use commercial products and cut and style my hair - AND use conventional good smelling products. he thinks any hair sticks are very weird and teases me constantly if i even try to wear them. but at least he notices them sometimes.
i think he will like my hair however, when it is long enough to braid... but we will see.

wish there were some girls around here ;)

oh and my mom has very long hair and frequently puts hers up with a writing pen. of course my bf has to make comments about that - LOL

soimaqt2
March 10th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Everytime I braid my hair, either in 1 or 2 braids, everyone at work stops to ask me if I did it myself. I tell all of them that if I could teach my bf, my 2 sons, and my male roommate to braid my hair, I wouldn't have to do it myself.

Naava
March 10th, 2009, 12:28 PM
I visited my work place today (I'm on maternity leave) and one of my co-workers said "Your hair is so long, do you have extension again?" :) We have mostly female workers and it's pretty common for everyone to comment each others appereance, in a good way.

chelssix
March 10th, 2009, 12:30 PM
My hair is not super-long, and I usually only get comments if I'm wearing something sparkly in it.
But I have had quite a few people tell me that my hair is much longer than the last time they saw me, or they tell me that it's pretty.
I think that a lot of updos go unnoticed because you have to look kind of closely at some of them to know how cool they are.

RedStripe
March 10th, 2009, 05:22 PM
I don't get many comments on my updos per se, but I have one coworker who has a passing famiarity with hair sticks and other toys, so when I get something new I enjoy showing it to her.

I hardly ever wear my hair down at work anymore, but for a while I would do so once in a while. Somebody would always say, "Wow, your hair's gotten really long!" That's the main comment I get. I had pretty short hair when I started to work there, so people who have known me the entire time are sometimes really surprised when they see how different it looks now.

Elphie
March 10th, 2009, 06:57 PM
I usually get comments when I braid it. Most of them doubt that I do it myself and I laugh and tell them no one is willing to wake up early enough to do it for me!

slz
March 11th, 2009, 01:06 AM
Even when I let my hair down, no comment from my co-workers here - rarely do we comment on each others apparence anyway, except for a few jokes.
My students comment sometimes "you should let it down more often" and the like. Nothing about the updos since 99% of the time I wear a plain braid.