PDA

View Full Version : I bite my split ends...

sweetbluesky
January 28th, 2009, 11:38 AM
I bite my split ends off when I am in the mood and do not have scissors lying around. Yep, you read correctly, as in bite them with my teeth. (I wonder if this is bad for your hair, or the same as trimming) Yesterday, I did it in my car because people may look at me weird if I do this in a conscipicuos spot. :p Once I bite them off, the tiny bits get stuck on my tongue and I spit them or remove them off. Weird? Totally. Gross? For some reason, doesn't seem so to me. My favorite thing to do with split ends, one of the reasons I enjoy them so :rolleyes: is to remove them and split them further. When there are more splits, I love to split the hair to see how much further it can split. I am a total weirdo huh? I get excited when I see hair with multiple splits!
Do you have any weird things like about your hair?

Aisha25
January 28th, 2009, 11:41 AM
You make my hairs hurt when I read this:lol:

PurpleAshes
January 28th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Hahahahaha, I used to do this too!
I thought that maybe it was damaging to my hair, but I couldnt resist seeing the split without cutting it.
Glad to know I'm not the only weirdo xD

baobhan sith
January 28th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Yeep... i'm joining the club.... i've done that in the past too

CrystalStar
January 28th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Oh god, I do this lol! :p I am so glad I'm not the only one heehee :p

Thing is don't our teeth kinda make it blunt at the end? I dunno though..

~GypsyCurls~
January 28th, 2009, 12:36 PM
I used to wet my hair with my saliva and then twist it around my finger when I was much younger. This was before I had my first haircut, my hair was a plaything! I feel gross for having done it though, although I was just a kid. I know it could not have been good for my hair, at all lol!

Sissy
January 28th, 2009, 12:50 PM
yeah, I would think that is bad for the hair to bite at them. I have been tempted to rip and pull at them when I have no scissors with me and notice splits. However, I refrain and try to find them later when I have my scissors available.

Tap Dancer
January 28th, 2009, 12:54 PM
I'll bite mine off if I find one and there are no scissors around.

jojo
January 28th, 2009, 03:28 PM
me too im a wierdo!

Kleis
January 28th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Oh, man. I used to do this. For years. That's why I have a notch in my tooth. I noticed it when biting a split suddenly hurt. I don't do this anymore!

spidermom
January 28th, 2009, 03:41 PM
I have done it, but rarely. Sometimes those pesky split ends had such a good time making a major display of themselves that I had to put them in their places. However, I have since realized that biting my hair leaves an uneven, ragged end that is going to split again. So now if I see a split and have no scissors handy, I'll shove it back out of sight. If I don't find that one again, I'll find another.

When I've got scissors for an official S&D, I will find a white dot and pull on either side of it to make the hair break - POP! Then I cut just above the break.

Anje
January 28th, 2009, 06:27 PM
I try not to bite my splits, but I want to! I find splits and I want to get rid of them, but if I were to keep hair scissors with me, I might waste all sorts of time in inappropriate places S&Ding.

Updos help.

Alun
January 28th, 2009, 06:37 PM
I've done this too

ZadenWillowfyre
January 28th, 2009, 06:45 PM
I've done it a time or two...it's very tempting when just sitting there bored! I've always played with my hair from childhood though.

Hairtada
January 28th, 2009, 06:59 PM
HaHa! I used to do it too!!!Glad I am not the only one. I do not do it now!!

Elenna
January 28th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Well, it's only a problem if you EAT the ends! It can't be good to have human furballs! :rolleyes:

Addy
January 28th, 2009, 07:16 PM
I have never done this.

FB
January 28th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Yep I am right there in the club of wideros!!!!! I beat it is bad for the hairs but it just drives me nuts.

longhairdreams
January 28th, 2009, 07:24 PM
I seem to remember chewing on my hair when I was really little.Needless to say my hair looked ragged,lol.

Now I pick at them with my nails.I know its going to make it worse,but I cant seem to help myself.Usually I'll just pop them off at the break.As someone else said updos really do help.Out of sight out of mind.

Jeni
January 28th, 2009, 07:36 PM
I've done this in the past but now I try and just find my scissors. I always seem to find splits while out somewhere totally inconvenient, like a restaurant. I'm kind of obsessed with my hair but not enough to carry scissors with me where ever I go...yet

csm--carla
January 28th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Oh, man. I used to do this. For years. That's why I have a notch in my tooth. I noticed it when biting a split suddenly hurt. I don't do this anymore!

Hair is tougher than we realize. It can break the enamel and cause tooth damage.shudder:shudder:

This same thing happened to me--except I had a bunch on notches on my front teeth from biting split ends when I was a young woman. (My front teeth are now crowned.) I never believed adults when they told me: :tmi:

Ryanne
January 29th, 2009, 04:45 AM
I've never done that.

yogachic
January 29th, 2009, 05:04 AM
I do too, only when I have no scissors around. I try not to do this though, but sometimes I just can't help it, because I want to take it off.

Margeaux
January 29th, 2009, 05:04 AM
I don't bite, but I use my nails to split the split hair even further until the thinnest part breaks off. Which um, I suppose is even unhealthier!

pdy2kn6
January 29th, 2009, 05:25 AM
i think i know what your talking about, i used to bite off or pull of broken hairs (and that sound when you manage to pull it off lol), but i think it may be a bit damaging which is why i stopped because the hairs that are split weren't actually being cut off, they where just becoming less visable because the long split/brake was no longer there

Pierre
January 29th, 2009, 06:50 AM
I've never done this. I do, though, use a pair of keys if I don't have scissors.

Tap Dancer
January 29th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Hair is tougher than we realize. It can break the enamel and cause tooth damage.shudder:shudder:

This same thing happened to me--except I had a bunch on notches on my front teeth from biting split ends when I was a young woman. (My front teeth are now crowned.) I never believed adults when they told me: :tmi:

Wow! :eek: You learn new things all the time... I think I'll stop now. Luckily I don't have any damage to my teeth from biting my hair.

Katze
January 29th, 2009, 09:10 AM
I do too. I also pull on the white dots. But I am trying to encourage myself to stop both.

RedStripe
January 29th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Joining the weirdo club -- I used to do this occasionally too. But I must say, since learning to take better care of my hair, I hardly have any problem with split ends these days.

Jessikinz
January 29th, 2009, 01:16 PM
haha , wow I used to do this too. Not the biting part though...
I used to find a split and split it apart to see how far it could split. It was quite entertaining.
I even used to break off the broken, white dotted ends, by pulling at them.

lora410
January 29th, 2009, 01:40 PM
LOL I do this to, but not alot. I also like to pull one end of the split off and then the other. I also pull the 'about to break off' hairs as well.

aaperez
May 25th, 2011, 10:55 AM
I use to do all the time! I try not to now though.

DivineComedian
May 25th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Now I pick at them with my nails.I know its going to make it worse,but I cant seem to help myself.Usually I'll just pop them off at the break.As someone else said updos really do help.Out of sight out of mind.

I do this a lot too. I always tend to notice really pesky splits in class or when I'm out, and just can't resist getting rid of them there and then. I really need to get some decent hair scissors- the ones I use for S&Ding at the moment are rarely used for anything else, but they're still normal household ones and not nearly sharp enough.

Annibelle
May 25th, 2011, 11:12 AM
I've never heard of anyone doing that...! Hehe. But I keep a pair of hair scissors in my purse at all times, so I'm always prepared! ;)

terpentyna
May 25th, 2011, 11:12 AM
I do this, even though I know my teeth are dull and no good!

Coffeebug
May 25th, 2011, 12:37 PM
I do this too - annoys me seeing them waving at me when I have no scissors... but if it can trash your teeth I'm gonna pack it in! Eeek! I can grow more hair, but I'm kind of stuck with these teeth, aren't I!!

cowgirllong
May 25th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Biting them off is probably worse than leaving them to split even more. I can't imagine doing that. But I HATE hair in my mouth.

whit3c00ki3
May 25th, 2011, 01:53 PM
There was an episode of weird obsession (or w/e its called) and they had a girl who would pull her hair out and eat the roots. Now that's weird.

Oksana
May 25th, 2011, 01:59 PM
I do this when i a bored in class, it's amazing how many i can find then, but go home and search for them to snip off and i can't find a single one!

Avvoltoio
May 25th, 2011, 02:05 PM
i do it too ... every day