PDA

View Full Version : Degrees of cones?

Charli800
January 28th, 2009, 10:32 AM
I've always used a somewhat coney shampoo, which my hair seems reasonably happy with, but recently I started using a very coney conditioner which has left my hair feeling limp and almost slimey.
Does that mean my hair doesn't like cones or just doesn't like large amounts of cones? Is liking cones a black-and-white issue?

teela1978
January 28th, 2009, 10:45 AM
My hair likes cones in moderation. Too many and I have the problem you're describing. Perhaps you could just use that conditioner once in a while?

cobblersmaid
January 28th, 2009, 10:46 AM
I think amount does make a difference. I used to think my hair hated cones, but I learned that is only likes small amounts.

Rohele
January 28th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Well... there are different kinds of cones, with somewhat different properties and varying degrees of solubility in water.

I've never personally had an issue with cones making my hair really limp (more the opposite problem for me and for now I've gone cone free), but when I was using them I did notice some products coated my hair more than others (especially those with dimethicone). Have you checked out the "to cone or not to cone" article? (has a list of cones/what they are used for)

Darkhorse1
January 28th, 2009, 11:04 AM
My hair likes products with cones, but over time, I get build up so I wash and don't condition and my hair re-balances. I work outdoors/in the elements, to the pros to using cones for protection out way any cons. I find cones keep my hair from getting splits, and makes it soft and manageable. Contrary to what others experience, I get more natural waves with cones, and I don't really see the harm. :) So, it's really a trial and error thing--try a product and see if your hair likes it. I always get small/travel sized bottles if I'm trying out stuff, so that way, if my hair doesn't like it, you haven't spent a fortune. :)

Charli800
January 28th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Well... there are different kinds of cones, with somewhat different properties and varying degrees of solubility in water.

I've never personally had an issue with cones making my hair really limp (more the opposite problem for me and for now I've gone cone free), but when I was using them I did notice some products coated my hair more than others (especially those with dimethicone). Have you checked out the "to cone or not to cone" article? (has a list of cones/what they are used for)

I read it all, but TBH I didn't really understand the whole solubility thing. Any explanations would be most welcome! *is hopeful*

As to clarifying - well, I've used the stuff twice. The first time was great, after the second wash it was icky. Using it for occasions is a good idea though. Thanks. :)

Curlsgirl
January 28th, 2009, 11:38 AM
I read it all, but TBH I didn't really understand the whole solubility thing. Any explanations would be most welcome! *is hopeful*

As to clarifying - well, I've used the stuff twice. The first time was great, after the second wash it was icky. Using it for occasions is a good idea though. Thanks. :)

It is like that with me too. I use a cone conditioner or serum occasionally mostly when I blow dry my hair straight. Last night I used a cone conditioner and left it curly and also used a cone leave-in and it's too soft and limp and not curling very well (until I got rained on now it's frizzy which it usually isn't). I can take them in very small amounts but my hair really does better overall without them.

~GypsyCurls~
January 28th, 2009, 12:01 PM
I am still trying to figure out whether or not my hair 'likes' cones or not. During the summer I was sulfate and cone free, and my hair was soft, defined and pretty with nothing but V05 conditioner, for washing and conditioning. My hair is now usually dry though, and I tried going back to cones thinking they would help weigh my hair down and make it look glossy, but after several washes I know I get buildup since my hair becomes dry again. Some cones can seal moisture in, but then you can't put any moisture back in and you have to use a sulfate shampoo to clarify. It's really the sulfates that dry my hair out, but that's the only way to remove the cones I use (mainly dimethicone). All cones are different, but for me this is what happens. I'd really like to simplify my routine and buy either natural, sulfate and cone free stuff or just use drugstore stuff with cones in it, whatever my hair likes. I think I may be able to go sulfate and cone free in the summer, but for now I have to experiment...

For now, I'm seeing about using both cones and oils since I know of a few people on this board that do that with success.

Rohele
January 28th, 2009, 12:29 PM

Well, my understanding is the solubility can come into play when a person is using other methods to cleanse the hair, other than a sulfate containing shampoo (for example CO washing). Shampooing is usually needed to remove the silicone from the hair and prevent buildup, so not using shampoo will cause buildup to happen over time. There are a select few silicones that can be removed with water only and can be part of a no poo routine. So basically I think the solubility rating are intended more as a guide to what may or may not build up on the hair.

Sissy
January 28th, 2009, 12:48 PM
I don't have much to add to this except for it could be the type of cone your hair doesn't like. As others have said, some may cause more buildup. I was told that any cone with the letters PEG in front of it is a water soluble cone and therefore won't buildup on the hair. Water soluble cones seem like a good compromise for those wanting to use coney products.

suicides_eve
January 28th, 2009, 01:01 PM
sounds like it could be a cone over load

teela1978
January 28th, 2009, 01:46 PM
The type of cone does matter. My hair seems to like amodimethicone a lot more than cyclopetacyloxane for example.

Loviatar
January 28th, 2009, 02:15 PM
I would also suggest it may be the types of cones. Which cones are in which product, would you mind finding out for us?

My hair loathes amodimethicone, tolerates cyclopentasiloxane as long as I keep it off my scalp and wash every day (otherwise it goes stringy), but seems to tolerate dimethicone in small doses, and actually likes dimethicone copolyol, which is a water-soluble cone I think.

Darkhorse1
January 28th, 2009, 02:36 PM
I find other ingredients can weigh hair down--wheat protien really does NOT like my hair--well, it makes it look nice, but it weighs it down and make it very flat. So, what I started to do is write down the name of a product and what I experienced. I'm hoping to continue to update this in my blog here, but I have to go through all my stuff. Hahahaha.

Charli800
January 28th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Thanks to those who explained about the solubility! It makes sense now.

I always get small/travel sized bottles if I'm trying out stuff, so that way, if my hair doesn't like it, you haven't spent a fortune.
I forgot to mention how that strikes me as genius before :o

I would also suggest it may be the types of cones. Which cones are in which product, would you mind finding out for us?

I didn't know that mattered!

The shampoo has Methylchloroisothiazolinone and Methylisothiazolinone near the end of the list.

The condish has Amodimethicone up by the top and Lauryl PEG Methicone near the bottom of the list. Possibly some other things that I've just missed as cones, too, but I think it's just those two.

Thank you!

tsenglish@ns.sy
January 28th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Every silicone behaves somewhat differently. Dimethicone, for example, is a heavier silicone, while Amodimethicone is a lighter, more volatile silicone. Also, all formulations are different. Is there a little silicone, or a lot? more than one silicone in the formula? Any other ingredients that may be contributing to the good or bad results? It is never black & white. All you can do is experiment til you find what works for you.

Roseate
January 28th, 2009, 05:22 PM
The shampoo has Methylchloroisothiazolinone and Methylisothiazolinone near the end of the list.

The condish has Amodimethicone up by the top and Lauryl PEG Methicone near the bottom of the list. Possibly some other things that I've just missed as cones, too, but I think it's just those two.

Those two from the shampoo aren't silicones, they are preservatives.

You may have been cone-free before you got this conditioner, and the addition of cones could be weighing you down. Or it could be something else in the condish, or just those particular cones, or, or, or.... ;) Too many possibilities! Sounds like the bottom line is, your hair doesn't like that conditioner. Maybe try another without those particular cones and see how it goes?