PDA

View Full Version : curious about something

xkitxgirx
January 28th, 2009, 08:48 AM
I always hear people say they have virgin hair, and of course seen it while reading through some of the articles on here. But I was sort of curious. Once you've dyed your hair once can it ever be considered virgin hair again? I dyed my hair when I cut it Pixie short in 04. I had dyed it black. I never dyed it back to normal, just let it grow out. Now I only have about 2-3 inches left of the color in my hair. So would the new hair be considered virgin? Or is that not possible? I was just thinking about this the other day, and wasn't sure.

AJoifulNoise
January 28th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Any new growth that has been untouched by dyes, perms, etc is considered virgin hair.

xkitxgirx
January 28th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Awesome! I was considering cutting off that last couple inches of dye. Not sure if I want to or not. But it's exciting to know that I have virgin hair, lol.

AJoifulNoise
January 28th, 2009, 09:36 AM
The last couple of inches of my hair is still dyed, too. But all the rest is 100% virgin.

plainjanegirl
January 28th, 2009, 09:45 AM
I haven't colored since May cause I want healthy strong virgin hair.

Darkhorse1
January 28th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Apparently, 'virgin' hair may not be 'virgin' if it's :Gray or exposed to the sun resulting in sun damage. Virgin hair is used towards children's hair because it is in it's purest for, plus kids hair has a waxy coating at the ends that protects it. We lose that as we age. This is why locks of love targets young kids for their hair because it's the best to use for wigs.

So, 'virgin' or unaltered hair may be altered if it's been out in the sun and discolored or if you have gray hair. That is in regards to donating hair to any organization for wigs.

If you are strictly speaking about the fact you havent' done anything to your hair in regards to coloring, then yes, new hair that is un touched is in it's purest form. Hence, the term 'virgin'.

Deborah
January 28th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Virgin hair is hair that has not had its color permanently altered in any way, and that has not been straightened or curled via chemicals or heat. (The term 'heat' does not include hair that is simply dried with a hairdryer, but rather means hair that has been ironed straight, or curled with a curling iron.)

In hair that was colored or chemically/heat curled or straightened, but that has grown in untreated, the untreated part is virgin hair.

I find the term 'virgin' with respect to hair a little misleading. A person's sexual virginity cannot be renewed, but hair's 'virginity' can be. I don't like the term applied to hair because of this. It just causes confusion.

Periwinkle
January 28th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Deborah, I've never heard of it being applied to heat styling before :/ I've only ever used it with regards to dye.

Deborah
January 28th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Deborah, I've never heard of it being applied to heat styling before :/ I've only ever used it with regards to dye.

I have heard it used in two ways. Some use it to refer to hair that has been permanently altered by means of any hair treatment that causes permanent change. Others restrict its' definition to mean hair that has been colored or permed or chemically straightened.

See what I mean? The term 'virgin' when applied to hair causes confusion, as it labels the hair in a way that is unclear and not very useful unless those using the term come to a consensus on what exactly it means. But even when they agree on a definition, the unaltered new growth hair seems able to renew itself and be 'virgin' again.

Sorry for the semantics rant. :soapbox: I'll get off my soap box now. :o

suicides_eve
January 28th, 2009, 12:55 PM
i use "virgin" in the term in regards to my hair die use. I am all "virgin" /natural hair except for the last few bits left in my hair .. I don't consider myself a heat virgin b/c i use heat and styling tools once in a while.