PDA

View Full Version : repair and regrowth after brutal assault on hair

contortionist
March 28th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Hi all, I just brushed out dreadlocks from my hair after only having them for 2 weeks( i found out bad info about products i used) It took seven hour for my freind to brush them all out and i lost alot of hair in the process. Some would have been natural (daily hair loss) but there was also alot that got broken, some ripped out, and some entire curls that were too knotted ripped off, my scalp is tender, its probably like ive been in a fight and had lots of hair ripped out.
My hair looks ok, a bit dmaged and a bit thinner and ive lost a bit form the original length, i think it looks ok becasue of how healthy and thick it was in the first place.
So now i need to nurture it back and heal it. Im looking for any suggestion on hints and tips, so far i know i will be very gentle with it, scalp massage, reduce frequency of washing with shampoo to once a week, oil treatment, good supplement routing and good nutrition.
I may also keep it the same length for a few months with a few trims to allow it to re-thicken?
Im not to fussed about the length right now but would rather get it back to its original thickness as soon as possible. Then start growing it again.
Does anyone know any supplements or products that may help?

Also is there any long term damage with having hair ripped out at the root? and if so is there anything i can do to heal that?

This has been a painful experience that has taught me to really appreciate my hair!:confused:

Many thanks

KajiKodomo
March 28th, 2008, 12:07 PM
I would say definitely baby it. As long as you keep it well moisturized (oils, deep conditioners, etc.) and up almost all the time, it should be all right, especially since you said it was in such good condition beforehand.

If you post pictures, that would probably help some, if you can.

If you can do CO (condioner only) washes, that is the most moisturizing. If not (I personally can't do CO), CWC (condition wash condition-put light conditioner on the ends, shampoo the scalp, rinse, put heavy conditioner on the ends) is the next best as it keeps your ends nice and moisturized.

Hope that helps!

MemSahib
March 28th, 2008, 12:07 PM
I am not going to say I KNOW this works, but I was asking for hair supplements at the health food store recently and she sold me some horsetail in an herbal capsule. I haven't been taking it long and honestly have no report on it myself although I was told it was working splendidly for some other people. A good general vitamin which is heavy on the B-complex should definitely be added to your diet if you don't already use one.

lora410
March 28th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Aww you poor thing!! Dreadlocks make me cringe because i know they are big knot balls. I know i love moonchasers sweet success hair oil. You can IM her here or look on ebay for it. Also be gentle and use a seamless comb not a hairbrush if you can. Oiling of coconut, jojoba or other oil daily will help nourish your hair. As for trimming that is up to you. Some people grow with little trims when their hair is damaged so as to not cut to much off and still get some length. As far as i know roots can get damaged, but I think you would have to repeatedly rip hairs out all the time. Biotin is a good supplement, msm,multi vitamins, lots of protein. Some people take kelp etc so maybe others can throw in some good supplements

Curlsgirl
March 28th, 2008, 12:19 PM
I would also add that if you could keep it protected in updos of some kind for a while that would help too. Not sure if you are male or female so if male, even a single braid would help or bandana of some kind if you could. Sorry you had that experience. Sounds horrible! :mad:

Islandgrrl
March 28th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Ouchie!!! I can only imagine what a horrible experience removing your dreads was.

Everyone else's suggestions sound perfect, and I really can't add anything significant. I just feel badly for you!

Gothic Lolita
March 28th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Feel hugged. I never had dreads myself, but a friend of mine and I can only image how painful it is to comb them out. She got her ends trimmed because, although they still looked healthy, they were damaged. But her hair has thickend up with regular trimming!

I can't add anything to the tipps the others gave you, I don't know anything else ;)
Oh, maybe yes. I'm taking silica. Others have reported that it helps with shedding and that they also notice thicker strands. I'm not taking it long enough, but my shedding rate has reduced!

Blueglass
March 28th, 2008, 02:23 PM
April 3 and 4, 2008 are Morrocco method trimming for thinkening days. You could try that. Lots of SD. (looking for splits, and white dots and snapping them). Cayanne pepper, and soy, biotin. I don't what kind of hair you have, but, personally I only like dreads on Sub-Saharan African type hair, otherwise, I just don't think this style is a good option. Try small braids instead if you ever want the look again.

justgreen
March 28th, 2008, 02:33 PM
If it were MY hair, I'm mix up a big batch of SMT, slather it on , put on a plastic shower cap, and leave it on for 4 hours or so, then rinse with warm water, followed by a cool rinse to calm the cuticle.

SMT

2 parts non cone conditioner (if you don't have any, just use what you have)
1 part honey
1 part clear aloe gel

This can be made without the gel, just use more honey. HOney is a great natural humectant and will flood your hair with moisture, which is what it desperately needs right now.

I always do this after I've washed my hair, then use the SMT as a conditioner.

contortionist
March 28th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Thank you all for all the help and support.
With conditioning it alot do you think its better to find natural conditioners? Or are normal ones with chemicals in just as good?
Thanks for the supplement suggestions too, ill definately give them a go.
With the suggestions of keeping hair up, will this protect it more or put more pressure on it? For instance will putting it a pony tail not put more pressure on it?
Im a guy but i dont mind wearing it any style you think would be best for it LOL, ive wore it in most.
my hair type is (sorry i have no pics at the moment) was probably pretty much to Eddie Vedders from Pearl Jam when he was young- same thickness , length and curlyness- why i wanted to dread it i have no idea LOL.
Im a gymnast and usually train with it in a pony, im not sure what the best way to keep it whilst training right now?

Thanks again for all the help and support

justgreen
March 28th, 2008, 03:48 PM
There are different things you can use to pony your hair safely. For a guy, try cutting up a pair of pantyhose(I'm not inferring that you wear them, LOL) . Cut straight across, about 2" long, and use this 'ring' to pony your hair. Can't get much safer than that.

Curlsgirl
March 28th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Yeah what Justgreen said and you can also get some other kinds of safe hair bands at Walmart or any drugstore, just make sure they don't have any metal on them. Be gentle when you put them in and take them out and just don't pull the ponytail too tight. That would be better than letting it hang down but a braid would be even better than that if that is possible or something you would consider. I am not very good at that kind of thing for guys because hardly ANY have longer hair around here! Also if you didn't know already don't brush your hair just either finger comb gently or use a wide tooth seamless comb starting from the ends and working up. There are lots of good tips here on this forum. Good luck!!!

kwaniesiam
March 28th, 2008, 04:48 PM
As someone with dreadlocks now, I can understand what your hair is going through. Mine is damaged, but I'm in it for the long haul and loving my locks. Was it using wax that caused the problems? Wax is generally a bad product that most people aren't aware of because sites like DreadHeadHQ and Knottyboy are all about selling the wax.

You've been given good, advice, so maybe some small trims over time to get rid damage monthly and using a good, moisturizing natural conditioner. Also oils will do wonder for your hair. HTH and if you have any questions feel free to PM me! :)

contortionist
March 28th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Thanks, ill try the pantyhose, wont wear them though, well maybe but only on the weeknds :) LOL.
I only ever finger detangle, my hair has always been too thick and curly to get a brush through without ripping it out.

I had put the dreads in with backcombing and wax- unfortunetly i got all of my info from Knottyboy. I then a week later discovered a the dread forum on hipforums and found out the truth about wax, it was then i decided to take them out, the trouble came when i was taking them out because the knots tightened and compressed.
Ive always loved dreads and who knows maybe in the future i might decide to let my hair dread again, but do it naturaly.
But right now my goal is to repair it, then start growing it again and get to hip length, that was my initial intention. I have alot more appreciation for my hair now, in its long curly undreaded state:)
I certainly wont be doing anything unatural to it again LOL

contortionist
March 28th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Curlsgirl, i would definately consider a braid, do you think that would be better for it? would the braid not cause pulling?

Nynaeve
March 28th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Biotin is supposed to be VERY helpful for hair (and general) health,
and it is supposed to support hair growth. Maybe you could pick some
up to help?
Oil would probably be nice for it.
I would definitely baby it. A lot.

coppercurls
March 28th, 2008, 07:13 PM
If it were MY hair, I'm mix up a big batch of SMT, slather it on , put on a plastic shower cap, and leave it on for 4 hours or so, then rinse with warm water, followed by a cool rinse to calm the cuticle.

SMT

2 parts non cone conditioner (if you don't have any, just use what you have)
1 part honey
1 part clear aloe gel

This can be made without the gel, just use more honey. HOney is a great natural humectant and will flood your hair with moisture, which is what it desperately needs right now.

I always do this after I've washed my hair, then use the SMT as a conditioner.

I love this stuff. I "doctor" my mix up even a bit more by adding some coconut oil, a small dab of glycerin & few drops of whatever EO I am lovin' at the moment.

HTH:D

Curlsgirl
March 28th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Curlsgirl, i would definately consider a braid, do you think that would be better for it? would the braid not cause pulling?

Definitely better for it as it would cut down on the individual hairs rubbing each other and tangling which cause knots and breakage. It also helps protect against the elements. Just be careful about not pulling the scalp too tight and being very gentle as you braid. It is better to cover the ends but I don't know how you could do that. Others might have ideas on this. I would definitely keep the tassle of the braid protected and wear hairsafe bands though!

contortionist
April 3rd, 2008, 01:04 PM
So its been a week since the dread removal and my hair is getting in better condition and appears to be thickening by the day!
Ive given it a SMT treatment (thanks Justgreen!) a heavy oil treatment with olive oil, and im using cocnut oil daily to keep it moisturised.
Im also taking sea kelp, and lots of B vits and zinc.
Ive lost a few curls in the back, but pretty much its just is if my hair has had a quite brutal lairing LOL. the ends look in good shape actually so im not sure whether i will need a trim or not? I know its a bit hard to tell without photos.
I was also considering going water only to help heal also- do you guys think that would help or hinder at this point?
I had great success with water only before i dreaded, 4 months water only and my hair was in the best condition it ever had been!

Many thanks