PDA

View Full Version : Where did you first find silvers?

jojo
January 27th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Well I am breeding silver hairs and although I have some in my fringe, I am noticing some on my side, which I hope will develope into a streak, that would be quite cool!

Where did you all first develope silvers? is there a patern that all silvers follow, like fringe, then sides, then back? or is it individual.

Also is it typical to grow a bunch together or is it more common to grow a scattering all over the hair at first?

heres my picture, see my future ( wishing)streak?
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l283/joanna_eglin/CIMG2106.jpg

rchorr
January 27th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Well I am breeding silver hairs and although I have some in my fringe, I am noticing some on my side, which I hope will develope into a streak, that would be quite cool!

Where did you all first develope silvers? is there a patern that all silvers follow, like fringe, then sides, then back? or is it individual.

Also is it typical to grow a bunch together or is it more common to grow a scattering all over the hair at first?

heres my picture, see my future ( wishing)streak?
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l283/joanna_eglin/CIMG2106.jpg
My 1st ones were on the left front "corner" of my head. My mom always laughs and tells me my head has no corners, but that's the best way I can describe it ;^)

RCHORR'

~GypsyCurls~
January 27th, 2009, 07:19 PM
I got my first one at 14. I can't tell exactly how many I have because I dye, but I now have several. They are mostly around the same area, at about the middle of the top of my head.

spidermom
January 27th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Didn't you already launch this subject at least once before? (not that it matters)

I noticed my first silvery hairs in my mid-40s, and they seem to have come in pretty evenly distributed, although I have a streak in the front above my right eye that seems thicker than anywhere else.

Anje
January 27th, 2009, 07:27 PM
I don't have many yet, but the ones I notice are on the top of my head, a few inches back from my hairline. I suspect I'll have a streak back there one day -- my mom got one in the same place, running down the back of her head.

frizzinator
January 27th, 2009, 07:32 PM
In my 30's I first noticed white hairs scattered on top, but in my 40's the most obvious accumulation was around the face, temples to ears.

catapia
January 27th, 2009, 07:35 PM
My eyebrows :) At least that is where they started. Now I have a few popping up in my bangs, and they are easy to find because they are usually the ones that are sticking straight up.

atlantaz3
January 27th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Didn't you already launch this subject at least once before? (not that it matters)

I noticed my first silvery hairs in my mid-40s, and they seem to have come in pretty evenly distributed, although I have a streak in the front above my right eye that seems thicker than anywhere else.

I think you may be thinking of my finding first grays thread recently.

Mine that are found are in my crown - no streaks so far - just a few wonky strands here and there. (Of course that could be cause I can't find them with the bifocals and the light!)

Kimberly
January 27th, 2009, 07:44 PM
I first noticed them in the front just upwards from the temples, but that might be because I part my hair and mess around with it more in the front and the silvers were all underneath the canopy. They started turning up everywhere after that, though it looks as if I am developing a couple of streaks -- yay! When they get defined enough I shall rush out for some Manic Panic and dye the streaks a bright sky blue. Then people can go ahead and call me a blue-haired old lady, if they dare. hehe

eaglefeather71
January 27th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Mine started at and near my part and that is where most of them originate from still. Of course now they are REDS not silvers, and I'm getting more radiating out from the center.

jojo
January 27th, 2009, 08:01 PM

I am not sure did I? hey I am nearly 40 and going grey you know, my memory isn't what it used to be;)

Back to the subject, now you say you got a streak in the front, is there anybody else in your family who followed a similar pattern?

jojo
January 27th, 2009, 08:08 PM
So temples seem to be the most common place for them to appear? I wonder if hair texture (not grey) of the hair has anything to do with it? my first as I stated before where in my fringe, now this area has always been coarser and more curly than the rest of my hair. As a rule and I may be wrong here, canopy hair is coarser. My second most coarsest hair is around my crown, which is the second place I have got grey hair.

Like O.k. grey hair is something which happens as we get older and produce less melemin but I wonder what determins which hairs get grey first? is it weather I wonder???

Elphie
January 27th, 2009, 08:11 PM
I have a few scattered throughout my hair, they don't appear to be any coarser than the rest of my hair. I see most of them just beyond my bangs.

Rohele
January 27th, 2009, 08:39 PM
I have a patch thats developing more or less on the top of my head (not quite enough for a streak, but I keep hoping). I have random slivers appearing throughout my hair. oddly, only the ones on top a coarse, the rest seem to be the same as the rest of my hair.

I seem to be following in my mother's pattern. She's about 60% gray now with most if it concentrated on the top of her head with the rest in steaks throughout her hair. So maybe there is a genetic component?

MamaGigi
January 27th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Mine started on my temples and have worked their way down to meet at my nape. Lately though I noted I have more throughout my hair everywhere. I hope this means I'll be an early grey/white haired lady. :)

Cereus
January 27th, 2009, 08:52 PM
I developed a white streak when I was about 30. It's more of a red streak now. It's on the upper right side of my head a little back from my hairline. I do kind of like it. I can hide it if I part my hair on the left and show it off if I part my hair on the right. And over the last few years stray grays have been popping up on the top of my head in no discernable pattern.

KaraLeigh13
January 28th, 2009, 12:12 AM
My first greys showed up in my early to mid twenties. I'm 31 now. I have a good streak in the "corner" of my hair line, on the right side. Since my hair naturally parts in the middle you can't really see it unless I pull my hair back. I'm now noticing more scattered throughout my hair on the sides. I'm surprised I have as few as I do. On my father's side of the family most of them are completely grey/white by they time they hit their early thirties. Maybe it is still coming, who knows. My hairs are completely white.

Elenna
January 28th, 2009, 12:23 AM
They starting taking over the hairline, then they started at the temples and then popping up here and there.

teela1978
January 28th, 2009, 12:38 AM
They're definitely concentrated around my temples. I'm getting more back near my crown nowadays though.

Girltron
January 28th, 2009, 05:06 AM
On the top of my head, but not so much visible from my part at first; they began under the canopy hair around my part. Now they're quite visible from the part. They've been moving down the sides of my head slowly; I think I'll go allover salt and pepper rather than starting with streaks like my mom did. Too bad; I liked the streaks.

Feline
January 28th, 2009, 06:01 AM
I've got them at my temples, but so far at least nowhere else. They first showed up in my late 40s. I have a lot of ash in my natural color, don't know if that means anything as far as greying is concerned. They aren't terribly noticable the way I usually wear my hair, so I nevermind them .

Islandgrrl
January 28th, 2009, 06:18 AM
My first ones appeared on the side of my head right above my right ear. They appear to be contagious and have infected neighboring hairs all the way up to my temple. Somehow, this malady has spread to include the same region on the left, though not as heavily, and there's the occasional one springing up on the top of my head, too.

I've found the cure, though: henna! :silly:

BlackfootHair
January 28th, 2009, 06:24 AM
I'd say on the sides of my head back a ways from the front...under the canopy. Yeah, a few came, and then the whole family starts to show up with them. Boxed dye it is for me!

Xandergrammy
January 28th, 2009, 06:29 AM
My very first whites started in my cowlick, which is right in the middle of my forehead.

mellie
January 28th, 2009, 06:34 AM
Behind my ears! It was very odd!

They concentrate on my temples, but they definitely first appeared behind my ears.

Queenie
January 28th, 2009, 07:58 AM
No silvers yet...

<threadjack>

I wanted to post this pic... (yay for Mac's photo booth)
http://i41.tinypic.com/34q02ua.jpg
I LOVE that picture, I just had to share that I have it on my wall, too!

</threadjack>

AJoifulNoise
January 28th, 2009, 08:00 AM
I found my first silvers right above my right temple. And that's where they are still concentrated. But, now they've spread. I have some over my left temple. And everytime I part my hair I find another one! O.O

eadwine
January 28th, 2009, 08:30 AM
My first silvers are in the fringe/rest of hair area, at the separation point so to speak. Part are fringe hair, part is down the length. They are blingy compared to the rest and I am getting them in one spot, so I am hoping for a shiny streak :D

Katze
January 28th, 2009, 08:33 AM
My first silvers came after living through the events of 9/11 in NYC. After regular acupuncture, they went away again, only to return last fall. Since I have been pregnant, I have a lot more baby hairs, and a big stripe of them at my left forehead are a beautiful shiny silver! I hope they stay after the baby comes...

mira-chan
January 28th, 2009, 08:39 AM
My crop of silvers is mostly in a streak about an inch from the hairline on top of the head.

rags
January 28th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Mine came in my twenties. I have about an inch wide streak going on either side of my center part in front (what would be bangs if I had them) all the way down, so that my face is framed in silver. For years, that was all I had - just the streak. Then in my mid thirties I began getting more and now at 42 I have them sprinkled everywhere - but no more streaks. The rest are fairly evenly distributed.

Neither one of my parents even went salt and pepper until their fifties, but a couple of uncles on my mother's side were gray by the time they were in their thirties. So I'm guessing it's genetic.

JamieLeigh
January 28th, 2009, 08:50 AM
My few are on the sides of my crown...and if I play my genetics cards right, I should have two silver streaks running down the sides of my head like Lily Munster in a few years. IF I take after the side of my family that most of my hair likenesses are running from! :)

paper
January 28th, 2009, 08:50 AM
In my late 20's, early 30's people would tell me I had alot of white hairs. I didn't see them, I guess they were in the back of my head. :p

LadyLongLocks
January 28th, 2009, 08:56 AM
I started to see them about 8-10 years ago. I see them mostly on the top around my center part and in the back. They tend to blend into my hair since my hair is blonde. I see most of them in close-up photos, not in the mirror.

I was pulling them 2 years ago when I had a special occasion to attend, but then heard that if you pull them they grow back all crazy and bent. Seems pulling them damages the folicle.
I will never yank them again!:uhh:

I am learning to love them since I don't dye my hair.

morrsken
January 28th, 2009, 09:04 AM
When I was 20 i found my first white hair. Since then I've gotten some more. They usually grow 2 or 3 together, in different places of the top of my head, mostly the middle. The white hairs tend to be coarser than the others.

harley mama
January 28th, 2009, 09:08 AM
My silvers come in mostly on the right front side of my head.
I suppose I could probably have a racing stripe if I stopped coloring.

Medvssa
January 28th, 2009, 10:47 AM
I started having one or two at the top of my head, then a few on the temples, wich thrilled me to no end. I hope I'll get streaks :D but they do come in very slowly, and I shed some :(

Sissy
January 28th, 2009, 01:00 PM
I have a few... I mostly notice them on the left front. There aren't that many yet though.

wintersun99
January 28th, 2009, 02:57 PM
How very interesting that you all know and remember when and where your first silver/grays came in... I have no idea when or where my started to grow in. However, recently I've been letting them grow in a bit and I noticed just today, they are REALLY showing up in the bathroom lighting at work, not so much in my lighting at home. Weird. Anyway, they are concentrated pretty evenly throughout the top and sides of my head with NONE in the back.
I'm odd. :D

jojo
January 28th, 2009, 06:45 PM
No silvers yet...

<threadjack>

I wanted to post this pic... (yay for Mac's photo booth)
http://i41.tinypic.com/34q02ua.jpg
I LOVE that picture, I just had to share that I have it on my wall, too!

</threadjack>
hey a girl after my own heart, i love the picture too!

jojo
January 28th, 2009, 06:47 PM
How very interesting that you all know and remember when and where your first silver/grays came in... I have no idea when or where my started to grow in. However, recently I've been letting them grow in a bit and I noticed just today, they are REALLY showing up in the bathroom lighting at work, not so much in my lighting at home. Weird. Anyway, they are concentrated pretty evenly throughout the top and sides of my head with NONE in the back.
I'm odd. :D
none in my back either, in fact my back is hair free:D you need a wax love!

Hairtada
January 28th, 2009, 06:58 PM
My first silvers started when I was in my teens. They were just sort of interspersed all over my head.

EdG
January 28th, 2009, 06:59 PM
I always had a few grays ever since I was a teenager. They remained few in number up to about age 35, after which time they started exploding. :blueeek:

ETA: my grays are a few all over, and concentrated in the temples.
Ed

CaraLynn
January 28th, 2009, 07:41 PM
I've been pulling silvers off my crown since I was 13. My mom was totally grey by 24. I only get one or two at a time and not too frequently though...so maybe I'll get to enjoy my own hair color a bit longer than she did!

Masara
January 29th, 2009, 02:27 AM
My silvers are only on the right side of my head at the moment. If you drew a line from my right eye and went back about 2 inches from my hairline, that's where they start.

I'm expecting with time, that I'll end up with a streak around there; that's what happened to my mum, but sicne she has short, curly hair it used to stick up like a one-sided horn. Mine will probably be more badger-like

Because they don't start right at the hairline and because I part my hair on the other side, they aren't very visible with my hair either up or down yet.

Calanthe
January 29th, 2009, 02:58 AM
My silvers are scattered around my head - there's no pattern to it. But as my natural hair colour is reddish-goldish they are quite hard to see anyway.

Chrissy
January 29th, 2009, 05:03 AM
Ok ever since I saw this thread I knew my answer but I wasn't sure whether to share or not. Today I'm feeling daring so what the heck. I found mine well.....in the nether regions. :) Ok I'm running to hide now as I can't believe I just posted this. Hey I've read worse from LJ!!!!!

Zindell
January 29th, 2009, 06:03 AM
Ok ever since I saw this thread I knew my answer but I wasn't sure whether to share or not. Today I'm feeling daring so what the heck. I found mine well.....in the nether regions. :) Ok I'm running to hide now as I can't believe I just posted this. Hey I've read worse from LJ!!!!!

:D *giggles*

Queenie
January 29th, 2009, 06:34 AM
:rollin:

Well, it *almost* makes me look forward to find out where I'll find my first gray :lol:

wintersun99
January 29th, 2009, 08:43 AM
none in my back either, in fact my back is hair free:D you need a wax love!

:spitting:

OMG - too funny

NurseMama
January 29th, 2009, 09:17 AM
I have earmuffs under the henna. Not terribly attractive unless in an updo.

LadyGunn
January 29th, 2009, 09:20 AM
I've been getting looong, thick, wurly grays in my eyebrows since I was 25 or so. They get plucked, with a vengeance.

I have no idea what pattern my grays will come in, as Mom frosts her hair to hide hers. She does have a lot right in front of/above her ears. I hope I go silver, in streaks. I have a spot above my right eye where no hair grows - an old dog bite scar. I'd love to have a silver streak right there, as that's where I part it. I sometimes think I see grays along my hairline, but I'm not sure as I have some blonde strands here & there.

I just don't want to follow my dad's hair example, since his has turned loose... :scared:

punky
February 8th, 2009, 04:27 PM
First noticed some silver's when I was in my late twenties. Keep them covered up for years,then I stopped dying my hair in 08 and now I am totally gray which is ok with me.:)

lynnala
February 8th, 2009, 05:14 PM
My first streak came in on my fringe, right on my cowlick. Here's a pic (from my old drivers license, that's why it looks weird). I was 38 in this photo. I think there were probably some scattered grays too, but this is the one I remember best. My mom had the same white streak in the same spot.
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee20/legendhouse/firstwhitestreak.jpg

Eden Iris
February 8th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Scattered around my crown, mostly on my right side. They come and go with stress. I think I will be a salt and pepper woman in my next decade.

KnightsLady
February 9th, 2009, 04:46 AM
They snuck up on me. They were already pretty much all through my hair by the time I noticed. I've been developing quite a number along the sides of my head though. :(

shell78
February 9th, 2009, 09:13 AM
My naturally brunette mom has been coloring since her early 30's so I have no idea what to expect as far as what my graying pattern will look like. My dad has had a full head of jet black hair most of his life; it probably began to gray in his late 40's; now it's pretty much scattered throughout.

I'm just starting to see silvers coming in - probably in the past year or two. They are only coming in along my natural part, so I can hide them completely if I want by parting on the other side. What is so strange to me is that these hairs seem to grow about 5" and then they hit what seems to be a terminal length for them and they fall out. So frustrating and sad since I love the way they sparkle and I want them to grow long. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm wondering if it's related to my hair type.

My hair is normally very fine and these are coming in with a texture I'd call medium. The hair itself seems to curve like my curls do but it has a crinkly roughness to it, if that makes sense.

Kimberly
February 9th, 2009, 01:22 PM
shell78, my silvers are M while the rest of my hair's F, and the silvers have the same amount of curl as my other hair, but they are crinkly like you describe. The crinkle is only at the ends of new silvers, though . . . it's just a couple of inches at the tips of them when they're baby silvers.

3azza
February 9th, 2009, 01:36 PM
I got mine in the middle on top of my head too, and i think i got that at 17... Now i have many that i colour red with henna

Celebrian
February 9th, 2009, 01:45 PM
I first noticed a few greys on my crown in my early thirties. I used to drive myself mad by plucking them out - only to find I'd missed a few!

Now, I think I'm about 50&#37; grey over the crown with less down the sides - and very little on the back part of my head.

I hate the coarseness of them, and sometimes, when I see some particularly griizzled/kinky shaped ones sticking up on my crown - I still attack with the tweezers!

I don't think I'd mind them quite so much if they were smooth and well-behaved... :rolleyes:

My husband is luckier, I think. He has a 'salt and pepper' greying pattern... much more evenly dispersed throughout. His hair is light brown as well, which makes it less noticable (I'm mid-brunette but dye it darker anyway).

ratgirldjh
February 9th, 2009, 02:21 PM
hi - i'm a lurker who hardly ever posts - but i wanted to say that when i first noticed silvers in my very dark brown hair - it was behind my left ear! i actually freaked and immediately died my hair blue black... after my hair grew longer i started dying it red. it has been 3 years since i stopped dying my hair and it is now my original dark brown with silver running through it and i love it! what convinced me to let it grow out to it's natural color was my mom's hair - which is solid silver and was almost to her waist before she cut it shoulder length.

i love this site!!!

djh