PDA

View Full Version : how to get the scalp clean with CO?

MoonCreature
March 28th, 2008, 11:30 AM
I've tried to CO but it isn't working that great... I started by washing with a cone- and mineraloil-free shampoo to get off the resedue, and then a cone- and mineraloil-free conditioner. After that I can wash with CO one time and the result is good, but after the secon time the hair at the scalp feels greasy and dirty (if I position it in some way it stays that way because of the filth). Though I wash the same way both times!
The problem may be that I can't get the conditioner out of the scalp, but how do I manage with this..? I rinsed for 15 minutes last time and even did a AVC after, but the hair was greasy anyway. :shrug:

Can someone say what I'm doing wrong or how I could fix this?:pray: I really want to go CO.

savi
March 28th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Hmm.. Do you emulsify how much? I tend to massage the conditioner to the scalp after letting it sit for 5 minutes. I just add some water and massage, I do it for minute or so. I can get it to foam too. :D

And another thing comes to mind, what condish' did you use? I mean was it light enough for CO, useally the heavier conditioner aren't the best for over all CO. I use them just to the few last inches.

AJoifulNoise
March 28th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Hmm.. Do you emulsify how much? I tend to massage the conditioner to the scalp after letting it sit for 5 minutes. I just add some water and massage, I do it for minute or so. I can get it to foam too. :D

And another thing comes to mind, what condish' did you use? I mean was it light enough for CO, useally the heavier conditioner aren't the best for over all CO. I use them just to the few last inches.

I echo this. Have you tried different conditioners?

kissedbyfyre
March 28th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Try different conditioners. My SO tends to have good luck with Natures Gate, there's also a lot of people that suggest White Rain and VO5 as well.

Let it sit on the hair for the entire time you're in the shower and when you rinse, make sure you rinse very well, at least 2 minutes. I found massaging the scalp really helps loosen up any oils as well. Following up with an ACV rinse helps remove any build up and further conditions the hair.

The SO does it twice. He does a light CO where he massages the stuff into his scalp then rinses, then does a heavier coat, massaging that into his scalp and lets it sit for the rest of his shower.

CO takes some people awhile to get the hang of. The first time I tried it it was nothing but fail. Second time I tried it, it worked beautifully.

MoonCreature
March 28th, 2008, 12:35 PM
I put on the conditioner, let it sit for 3-5 minutes, massage and rinse. I'm using X-tra right now, I can't say yet how it works because I've only washed with it once. Before this I used Rainbow that I heard was ok too...

AJoifulNoise
March 28th, 2008, 12:37 PM
I put on the conditioner, let it sit for 3-5 minutes, massage and rinse. I'm using X-tra right now, I can't say yet how it works because I've only washed with it once. Before this I used Rainbow that I heard was ok too...

Don't know how much of a difference this might make, but I put it on, massage, then let it sit, then rinse. Instead of letting it sit before I massage. Perhaps that'll help?

savi
March 28th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Aisling had a really good post about finnish CO conditioners in our social group. Here's the link. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/group.php?groupid=58)

akurah
March 28th, 2008, 12:53 PM
It's best to let the conditioner sit for awhile, 3 to 5 minutes is NOT long enough for my hair.

When I can, I let the conditioner sit for 30 minutes--this requires applying conditioner prior to getting into the shower.

I also have better results when I apply conditioner to dry hair as opposed to wet.

I have acceptable results, however, when applying to wet hair and only letting it sit for about 15 minutes. Not as nice as applying to dry hair and letting it sit for 30, but definitely acceptable.

If I let the conditioner sit for only 5 minutes I'd be a greasebucket.

aisling
March 28th, 2008, 12:57 PM

I haven't tested the Rainbow one but the X-tra worked well for me. Savi already posted the link to a list I've made with CO suitable conditioners around here and you should have enough posts by now to be able to see it. It might really be worth trying another one, Sokos is btw selling the BioRich AromaTherapy one right now on 3+1.

Other than that I can only echo what others have said, try add the conditioner to dry hair for a longer soak, massage, rinse very well. Then, we just have to accept that CO won't work for everybody, I have to use shampoo every now and then myself to keep my scalp happy. Diluted shampoo, test a milder one (I like Elokuu), is a really good way to gently clean your scalp and hair as well.

Feisty Redhead
March 28th, 2008, 01:11 PM
In addition to what has already been suggested - how much conditioner are you using for your CO washes? It's possible you aren't using enough. Also, did you clarify first before going CO? Maybe you have left-over build-up. Some people go through a transition period when they go CO too, where their hair/scalp adjusts to the new routine so maybe you just need to give it more time.

tomm
March 28th, 2008, 02:24 PM
This technique helped me, when I was CO'ing:

When you are ready to begin rinsing the conditioner out, add a little water (duck your head under the shower head for 2-3 seconds). Then gently "lather" for 5-10 seconds. Repeat these two steps until almost all of the conditioner has been rinsed out. Then do a final, very thorough rinse to remove any remaining residue.

I hope this helps.

Kyamo
March 28th, 2008, 03:41 PM
I wet my hair in the shower, get my hair thoroughly coated, massage, leave for 5 mins while I shower, massage again, rinse with water, then rinse with white vinegar.

There definitely seem to be two camps of COers, the 5 min COers and the 30 min COers. I actually did some experiments last year, and found that for me it depends on what conditioner I use. VO5 worked better when I did the 30 min, but Suave worked better when I did 5 min. (Suave smells better too, and 5 mins is way more convenient, so thats what I use)

spidermom
March 29th, 2008, 08:45 AM
I've tried CO many times with different conditioners and different methods, and my hair will look good the first time, but if I do it two or three times in a row my hair looks limp and coated. Conditioners do coat your hair; that's their job. I don't think it's possible to rinse all residue away. It shows up in some hair more than others.

CWC with diluted shampoo gives me reliable good results, and I throw in a CO every once in awhile, especially if my hair needs to be cleaned sooner than my usual 3-4 day wash cycle.

MoonCreature
March 31st, 2008, 12:54 AM
Thank you for your help! I did the "second wash with CO that usually goes greasy" yesterday but this time following your advice, and it worked like a charm :happydance:
I put the conditioner in dry hair (in the same manner that haircolor is applied, one parting at a time) and let it sit for half an hour, then I got into the shower and added water small amounts at a time and massaged. Continued this 'till there was not much conditioner left and rinsed. The hair is clean and airy today! I even got out most of a EVOO+coconut heavy oiling that I had in for about 6 hours before the wash. (I don't mind some being left, I just skipped adding oil after the wash)

I utterly and compleatly love LHC! :heartbeat :bowtome: